How does everyone feel about the new facial recognition NCL is implementing?

So... How does everybody feel about the new facial recognition?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take?

• Doesn't bother me.
    • Wait, what!?
    • Absolutely not.
    • Okay, but buy me dinner at a specialty restaurant, first.
    • I prefer facial recognition.

I'm probably the only person who watch the mini documentary Embark: https://www.ncl.com/embark-series 

At the end of the second episode for about half a second they showed facial recognition.  Whether that's just to identify you when wearing a mask OR for other purposes, I'm not sure.

I think of maybe 4-5 areas which require some form of identification usually via room key with your photo on it (newer ships have NFC chips that are used to debark/embark).  Maybe you can use your face to charge one of these days soon?

The device they showed looks EXACTLY like the screening devices they use at one of our local hospitals (Ellis Medicine in Schenectady, NY). It is really a thermal scanner more than anything. It takes a thermal scan of your face then you get a name tag sticker with your face on it that confirms you are cleared and allowed in the hospital. 

They don't have anything posted at the hospital that it retains the photographs or that it is used for facial recognition. If it did, they would legally have to disclose that.

Unless they specifically say it is "facial recognition", I think it will just be a fancy thermal scanner. 

• Like 3

NBD. We had facial recognition for Customs when disembarking... Seattle? It's all so long ago I've forgotten! I think it was Seattle. Super fast way to get through. And we already had it on the ship; when I lost my ship card all they needed was my cabin number because they had my photo.

Anyone squicked out by this must not own an iPhone with FaceID. I just hope NCL's system is better at recognizing bleary pre-coffee expressions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They used it for Customs (or Immigration) the last 2 times I debarked in Miami, once for the Sky and once for the Encore.  Makes getting off the ship much easier.

As far as watching Embark, I think there are quite a few on this forum that have seen the series.

Facial Recognition is pretty common.  I mean, if you use Google Photos, there's no need to tag a person at all; they just KNOW.  Same with a lot of other photo software. What it's used for is the issue, but I would think it's fairly benign on a ship.  Unless they sell your face and info.  THAT I would be opposed to, but not using it to make sure your photos get placed to the right person, or ensuring that the person using the card is the person to whom the card belongs, or seeing that I was in location A at a certain time. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zerooveride said:

The device they showed looks EXACTLY like the screening devices they use at one of our local hospitals (Ellis Medicine in Schenectady, NY). It is really a thermal scanner more than anything. It takes a thermal scan of your face then you get a name tag sticker with your face on it that confirms you are cleared and allowed in the hospital. 

They don't have anything posted at the hospital that it retains the photographs or that it is used for facial recognition. If it did, they would legally have to disclose that.

Unless they specifically say it is "facial recognition", I think it will just be a fancy thermal scanner. 

NY Public Library has the same thing and no issues...

It’s pretty much across the board these days, Heathrow airport in London uses it from the moment you go through security. 
Facebook does auto-tagging based on the same tech, but in a picture with my cousin it tagged her as me, and me as her. Suffice to say all my female cousins on my fathers side could easily pass as each other with the basic version of that tech, even though there’s only a couple of us that would be mistaken for each other face to face. The family genes run strong! 

"How does everyone feel about the new facial recognition NCL is implementing?"

I have no idea how EVERYONE feels about anything but this facial recognition is noting new.  We are all being tracked almost eveyhwhere we are.  I could not care less.

22 hours ago, ProblemCruiser said:

I think of maybe 4-5 areas which require some form of identification usually via room key with your photo on it (newer ships have NFC chips that are used to debark/embark).  Maybe you can use your face to charge one of these days soon?

Like others, we have used the immigrations and customs facial recognition in Miami several times. As fast as you can walk from the ship to the outside sidewalk with a few seconds at Customs. 

The thing that bothered me was the use of a pulseoximeter to judge your health. My pulseox is low and pulse rapid on a normal day. Lugging bags around on embarkation day,,, who knows if they will let me onboard. 

My concern would be that I do not usually shave on a cruise so after 14 days my face changes a bit?

Otherwise due to my job and the Chinese there is not much about me that is not known from my fingerprints to my SSN number I am sure my face has been stored dozens of time.

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:28 PM, coastcat said:

NBD. We had facial recognition for Customs when disembarking... Seattle? It's all so long ago I've forgotten! I think it was Seattle. Super fast way to get through. And we already had it on the ship; when I lost my ship card all they needed was my cabin number because they had my photo.

Anyone squicked out by this must not own an iPhone with FaceID. I just hope NCL's system is better at recognizing bleary pre-coffee expressions.

Had the same in Miami disembarking Escape back in January 2020.