New rules about bringing soda, juice and water on board.

CineGraphic

15 hours ago, pms4104 said:

I believe this move is a result of Princess' new-found environmental conscience ... which came about in the wake of their many court appearances for environmental crimes.

I also believe there will be many changes onboard to replace plastics, such as straws and plastic water bottles, individual condiment pkgs ... guessing tbey'll install yogurt dispensers to replace the plastic cups ... Feb 2020 they already replaced the sugar packets.

Then why are they now banning bringing canned soda at port stops? 

they still will sell you Canned soda on board. 

Also, individual packets of sugar, sugar substitutes.ketchup,etc. are safer in this time of covid-19.

2 minutes ago, caribill said:

Where did you see this? 

I cannot find a reference this anywhere in the new contract language. Did I not look close enough?

In the past, we've almost always grabbed a 12 pack of Coke cans while ashore walked on board with them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Where did you see this? 

I cannot find a reference this anywhere in the new contract language. Did I not look close enough?

In the past, we've almost always grabbed a 12 pack of Coke cans while ashore walked on board with them.

I see it in the first post.

It says "at embarkation" which means the start of the cruise.

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I always flew with an empty water bottle through TSA and then filled it later.

13 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Shouldn't be a problem. We carry 2 refillable bottles thru TSA checkpoints. Never even been looked at.

True most, but, not all of the time.

I have had an empty water bottle confiscated at both USA airports and at foreign airports before boarding a flight to the USA. Trying to reason with the agents was futile.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Also, individual packets of sugar, sugar substitutes.ketchup,etc. are safer in this time of covid-19.

Some environmental insights by clicking on the first link in this part of Princess' website ... so, more fun to come

https://www.princess.com/aboutus/environmental-responsibility/

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Regarding canned soda ... cash grab, perhaps?  

And the condiment thing was in the works before Covid became an issue.

I don't have the answers ... just some thoughts about why.

I think that the ban on bottles (glass and plastic) does have to do with their garbage and recycling.   They've been moving to paper (like milk cartons) water cartons, and I'm sure they have enough glass on board for drinks they sell to passengers.    

I just hope that they advertise it properly so that there aren't a lot of folks who don't know and bring stuff to the ship - that will be a mess.  

I can't imagine how much additional waste they have to deal with from what people carry on board and leave on board for them to deal with.   

Cans and paper containers can be crushed easily and don't weigh very much.   Maybe they have better contracts for waste disposal if quantities of certain items are restricted.   

Looks like they may be using this Covid stoppage to rethink some things.  

Its going to be very interesting to see what other changes are made once cruising fully restarts.  

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 10:17 AM, Ombud said:

I'm just going to bring my refillable bottle. No issue getting it to SF Port. Hoping I can carry it thru TSA

As long as it is empty at the time of the TSA check.  Fill it after.

• Thanks 1

Taken in context with @CineGraphic's other post on corkage fees and elsewhere posts on 15 to 18% on bar tipping, it becomes clear. Yes, waste should be reduced, but the implicit message is that it is about nickle and diming. Like so many things these days, an excuse to charge people more. 

Non disposable bottles, why not! The ship' water supply is produced onboard; it's not city or well water.

I am relieved to recall that tonic water is also available in cans.  

Agree there is going to be trouble at the ports if they aren't explicit in announcing these changes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Non disposable bottles, why not! The ship' water supply is produced onboard; it's not city or well water.

Most of the time it is produced from sea water, but there times they will fill up from a municipal supply. I do not know what additional treatment, if any,  they give this municipal water.

6 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Yes, waste should be reduced, but the implicit message is that it is about nickle and diming. Like so many things these days, an excuse to charge people more. 

This.

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Perhaps Princess will also stop selling/providing bottled water on board as well.

Bottled water being provided in the elite mini bar and drink package, I wonder what will offered in it’s place....

Please, no comments on how good the water is on board. I like to have water on my night stand and a glass is not safe with me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I do not care for the tapwater. Princess sells me cases of water every single cruise and I have not been told that that is going to stop but I will ask.  

It’s being offered on my Dec 9 cruise which I did not purchase the Princess Plus, but it’s not being offered on my Dec 13 cruise which I did buy the Princess plus. So, maybe it depends on the drink package purchased?

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 7:36 AM, LACruiser88 said:

I also think they are pushing the Princess Plus package, as those purchasing this option have no reason to bring on any beverages.

Suspect you are right.  We purchased the package for just that reason, don't have to carry on anything, except our Champagne.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Perhaps Princess will also stop selling/providing bottled water on board as well.

I suspect that Princess will offer water pkgs, that is water in cans or cartons ... and they'll assign an artsy name, as "bottled" will not be an apt term for it.

The only offerings at this time for my March 2022 cruise is the classic soda package and the premium drink package which I have with my plus booking. 

bottled water included. 

I usually buy the separate water package which is not listed this time. 

12 hours ago, tere247 said:

Bottled water being provided in the elite mini bar and drink package, I wonder what will offered in it’s place....

Please, no comments on how good the water is on board. I like to have water on my night stand and a glass is not safe with me. 

There are lots of screw top plastic water bottles that you can put by your bedside that will not break - https://www.rei.com/product/188426/rei-co-op-nalgene-sustain-graphic-wide-mouth-water-bottle-32-fl-oz.  

DON

On 5/25/2021 at 1:22 PM, Steelers36 said:

I always flew with an empty water bottle through TSA and then filled it later.

Hi Gregg,

I can’t get over all this talk about water bottles. Do you remember when we were kids? The official sports drink came right out of the garden hose. 😳 See photo 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

1F43F742-9C13-4441-B9CC-29329ECB07D6.gif

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Gregg,

I can’t get over all this talk about water bottles. Do you remember when we were kids? The official sports drink came right out of the garden hose. 😳 See photo 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

1F43F742-9C13-4441-B9CC-29329ECB07D6.gif

Oh, yes.  And you would bend it over some times to create a pinch to control the flow.