The Governor of the American Virgin Islands asks Gov. DeSantis to change his stance on cruise lines asking for vaccinations

ontheweb

Florida’s “don’t ask law” means that cruise lines can’t give other countries or territories any assurances that passengers wishing to go ashore are vaccinated. Absent that assurance, those islands may not accept cruise ships. If those islands and countries don’t accept ships, then itineraries are severely restricted. 

There may well be unintended consequences to Florida’s economy as well as the viability of the Caribbean’s cruise industry. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Geobugs said:

Gov. DeSantis' stance on vaccine passports does not stop cruise lines from sailing to the US Virgin Islands.

Correct.  

The Government of the US Virgin Islands, representing their citizens, want the assurance that the visitors to their islands will not be introducing the Covid virus, accidentally, because those visitors are unvaccinated.  The Governor is trying to protect his people, his economy, his tourist industry. 

Do you not appreciate the Governor's concern?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Geobugs said:

Gov. DeSantis' stance on vaccine passports does not stop cruise lines from sailing to the US Virgin Islands.

The governor of the US Virgin Islands seems to disagree with you. First it is going to make it harder for cruise lines to comply with whatever ends up the CDC requirements. Second many Caribbean countries may not want unvaccinated cruisers to descend on their countries.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

At this point in time ,I would not book a cruise out of Flloridq for all the tea in China. 

I am flying to Bermuda  in July to board the Viking Orion for a 8 day cruise around Bermuda. I will jump through all the test  hoops that  they have,  knowing  both Viking and Bermuda are doing the right  thing to protect both cruisers , tourists and   citizens of Bermuda. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Correct.  

The Government of the US Virgin Islands, representing their citizens, want the assurance that the visitors to their islands will not be introducing the Covid virus, accidentally, because those visitors are unvaccinated.  The Governor is trying to protect his people, his economy, his tourist industry. 

Do you not appreciate the Governor's concern?  

When someone's primary concern appears to be:

"Nobody gonna make me take no vaccine" ,

everyone else's concerns fade into insignificance

• Like 6

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

And therein lies the major issue our country is facing in reaching "herd immunity" against Covid.  "It's all about me."  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

On 6/11/2021 at 5:45 PM, ontheweb said:

Secondly, many Caribbean countries

may not want un-vaccinated cruisers to descend on their countries.

Speaking from my vantage point,

I'm fairly sure Barbados wouldn't be keen on un-vaccinated travellers

entering the country.

At our airport, they are being fairly strict, as it is...

you'd best travel with your freshly-neg.-result PCR test certification

so I can't see the sea-port being much different!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Speaking from my vantage point,

I'm fairly sure Barbados wouldn't be keen on un-vaccinated travellers

entering the country.

At our airport, they are being fairly strict, as it is...

you'd best travel with your freshly-neg.-result PCR test certification

so I can't see the sea-port being much different!

Thank you for posting from the perspective of an inhabitant of a Caribbean Island. These boards would be better if there were more like you on them.

Maybe we will get back there again someday on a cruise. When we were on Barbados, we saw the spectacular Harrison Caves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2021 at 3:22 PM, rkacruiser said:

And therein lies the major issue our country is facing in reaching "herd immunity" against Covid.  "It's all about me."  

Is there fact to this statement? The data shows our cases are plummeting. Are we having a problem reaching herd immunity or your idea of compliance?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Is there fact to this statement? The data shows our cases are plummeting. Are we having a problem reaching herd immunity or your idea of compliance?

The plummeting number of cases is factual.  It is also factual that if one examines the percentages of the citizens of certain states who are vaccinated differs significantly with the percentages of citizens of other states who are vaccinated.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 3:22 PM, rkacruiser said:

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Indeed there are facts . . . Cases are increasing in a number of states with lower than average vaccination rates. That’s not good for those herds (states) and it’s yet to be seen whether it will be OK for the larger herd (USA). 

Indeed there are facts in this statement.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/558275-eight-states-see-rise-in-new-covid-19-infections

• Like 4

On 6/11/2021 at 9:47 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Or when you want to pander to your supporters whose attitude is

"Nobody gonna make me take no vaccine and

I'm gonna vote for the fellar who supports my choice" 

Edited by richstowe
  • Like 1

Cases may be receding vs. the entire population since 40% of Americans are now said to be vaxxed.

I wonder though, how cases relate to the 60% of partially vaxxed or totally unvaxxed set. Or even better, case % against the remaining unvaxxed?

Let's say 10% cases against entire population of say 100 total was 10 and that has now declined to 5% or 5 cases.  But those 5 cases come from the unvaxxed and maybe partially vaxxed of 60, so that's a little over 8%.

Take those 5 cases and say they likely came from only unvaxxed folk(40), and now you have 12 and 1/2% rate.

All depends on how you interpret the data.  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The plummeting number of cases is factual.  It is also factual that if one examines the percentages of the citizens of certain states who are vaccinated differs significantly with the percentages of citizens of other states who are vaccinated.

And it correlates to voting patterns.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Indeed there are facts . . . Cases are increasing in a number of states with lower than average vaccination rates. That’s not good for those herds (states) and it’s yet to be seen whether it will be OK for the larger herd (USA). 

Indeed there are facts in this statement.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/558275-eight-states-see-rise-in-new-covid-19-infections

"8 states see rise" is such selective wording. Rise of what? One state's baseline week over week? There is no rhyme or reason to the data. See for yourself below. One week a state is up, next they are down, and vice-versa. Vaccinated, unvaccinated. Each state is testing completely different amounts of people. Nothing is consistent except for the news pumping the same deceptive headlines. No objective look into anything whatsoever.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/tracker/overview

I'm not saying the vaccine isn't helping. However, there isn't enough conclusive data that says vaccine = safe, none = death. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/virtually-all-hospitalized-covid-patients-have-one-thing-common-they-n1270482

Seems the unvaxxed are the ones being hospitalized now.  Should we start the chant of personal responsibility and disallow Medicare/Medicaid payments for their in hospital costs?

D8A75341-38D8-4F76-A587-2B44C6FF3CC1.jpeg

Also, take a look at how those states stack up federal dollars to the state compared to what they send in taxes.

Edited by CPT Trips
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, evandbob said:

Cases may be receding vs. the entire population since 40% of Americans are now said to be vaxxed.

I wonder though, how cases relate to the 60% of partially vaxxed or totally unvaxxed set. Or even better, case % against the remaining unvaxxed?

Let's say 10% cases against entire population of say 100 total was 10 and that has now declined to 5% or 5 cases.  But those 5 cases come from the unvaxxed and maybe partially vaxxed of 60, so that's a little over 8%.

Take those 5 cases and say they likely came from only unvaxxed folk(40), and now you have 12 and 1/2% rate.

All depends on how you interpret the data.  

It is est by CDC in US that 100+ Million have had Covid, both pre-Vax people and Un, and that 40% of UnVaxed have Natural Immunity from previous exposure, we are closing on Herd Immunity. I'm Fully Vaxed, Brother/Family all had CV and still got Vaxed

Edited by ONECRUISER

4 hours ago, evandbob said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/virtually-all-hospitalized-covid-patients-have-one-thing-common-they-n1270482

Seems the unvaxxed are the ones being hospitalized now.  Should we start the chant of personal responsibility and disallow Medicare/Medicaid payments for their in hospital costs?

I wanted to highlight this ! Thank you 

10 hours ago, evandbob said:

Does Medicare/Medicaid not pay for medical care that results from smoking, eating crap, not exercising, unprotected sex, etc? I get the sentiment because I feel similarly for those that deal with preventable health issues that result from lifestyle choices. There’s a safety net there that maybe should be swept away, then people may put more import on what they eat and do and have a greater investment in their choices if we start saying things like Type 2 Diabetes and STDs, etc won’t be covered.

12 hours ago, evandbob said:

1 hour ago, Anita Latte said:

Does Medicare/Medicaid not pay for medical care that results from smoking, eating crap, not exercising, unprotected sex, etc? I get the sentiment because I feel similarly for those that deal with preventable health issues that result from lifestyle choices. There’s a safety net there that maybe should be swept away, then people may put more import on what they eat and do and have a greater investment in their choices if we start saying things like Type 2 Diabetes and STDs, etc won’t be covered.

AE2CBED9-22F9-40CC-8D41-E55940259C20.jpeg