Changes to Covid/Mask policies --Apex

Bruin Steve

As these things seem to change constantly, I am going to try NOT to get too excited until we get a bit closer to our July 31 B2B sailings...BUT...
In case anyone missed it, Celebrity again revamped it's policies on the website on June 9...For the Apex it now says:

Mask Requirements:

• Required on board indoors and outdoors except while eating, drinking or in your stateroom. 
  • Masks required in ports of call based on local government requirements 

While Ashore

• On-your-own tours will be permitted in Greece and Cyprus. Celebrity Cruises curated tours will be required in Ashdod/Haifa

To ad some focus here, to the best of my recollection, it previously said:

First, that private port tours were allowed.  This has now been changed to permit shorexes only in the Israeli ports.  Other than finding this nd the other changes by checking the website, I received no notice from Celebrity on any of the changes.  But, at lest for me, the shorex/tour change matters little as I have booked shorexes everywhere to use up some of my OBC.

Second, and for me, this is the major change, it's the new onboard mask requirement.  IIRC, it used to say that fully vaccinated people would not be required to wear masks onboard.  Only in the ports, we would be subject to whatever the local requirements were.  For us, we have been fully vaccinated since February.  But, despite that, for the past few months, we have worn masks whenever venturing outside the house...because that has been the local ordinance and we are fine with that.  But, even here in California, the mask requirement for fully vaccinated people is going away as of this coming Tuesday.  On the Apex, with the requirement that all crew and all passengers over the age of 12 need to be fully vaccinated, one would not think that wearing a mask onboard would be necessary.  We were sort of looking forward to getting back to a fairly normal cruise experience...and with a fully vaccinated ship, would not think it would be a concern.  Yes, I am are two passengers on Millennium just came down with Covid...but, realistically, I am not concerned that this is anything more than either a total anomaly...or, even perhaps, a case of someone falsifying their vaccination information...and, if so, shame on them...

What is also concerning here is that we've paid a great deal of money--booking Sky Suites for B2B cruises plus air RT to Athens and 5 nights of hotels in Athens--and we'd really like to feel comfortable on our supposedly fully vaccinated cruise.  We have Premium Drink packages--so, I'll likely have a drink in my hand a lot of the time...but I cannot see pulling a mask on and off in between sips!

And, yes, I've said I won't get too bent out of shape on this--YET.  I am hoping all of this nonsense goes away in the next 7 weeks...But, I really wish they wouldn't backtrack on stated policies...

• Like 6

I suspect this a Greek requirement, since Greece still requires face masks in all public spaces

i read a news article that they may consider relaxing the mask mandate by end of Sep

i also find this development unwelcome and may consider canceling my Sep Apex cruise depending on reviews from the first couple of Apex cruises

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

As these things seem to change constantly, I am going to try NOT to get too excited until we get a bit closer to our July 31 B2B sailings...BUT...
In case anyone missed it, Celebrity again revamped it's policies on the website on June 9...For the Apex it now says:

Mask Requirements:

• Required on board indoors and outdoors except while eating, drinking or in your stateroom. 

While Ashore

• On-your-own tours will be permitted in Greece and Cyprus. Celebrity Cruises curated tours will be required in Ashdod/Haifa

First, that private port tours were allowed.  This has now been changed to permit shorexes only in the Israeli ports.  Other than finding this nd the other changes by checking the website, I received no notice from Celebrity on any of the changes.  But, at lest for me, the shorex/tour change matters little as I have booked shorexes everywhere to use up some of my OBC.

Second, and for me, this is the major change, it's the new onboard mask requirement.  IIRC, it used to say that fully vaccinated people would not be required to wear masks onboard.  Only in the ports, we would be subject to whatever the local requirements were.  For us, we have been fully vaccinated since February.  But, despite that, for the past few months, we have worn masks whenever venturing outside the house...because that has been the local ordinance and we are fine with that.  But, even here in California, the mask requirement for fully vaccinated people is going away as of this coming Tuesday.  On the Apex, with the requirement that all crew and all passengers over the age of 12 need to be fully vaccinated, one would not think that wearing a mask onboard would be necessary.  We were sort of looking forward to getting back to a fairly normal cruise experience...and with a fully vaccinated ship, would not think it would be a concern.  Yes, I am are two passengers on Millennium just came down with Covid...but, realistically, I am not concerned that this is anything more than either a total anomaly...or, even perhaps, a case of someone falsifying their vaccination information...and, if so, shame on them...

What is also concerning here is that we've paid a great deal of money--booking Sky Suites for B2B cruises plus air RT to Athens and 5 nights of hotels in Athens--and we'd really like to feel comfortable on our supposedly fully vaccinated cruise.  We have Premium Drink packages--so, I'll likely have a drink in my hand a lot of the time...but I cannot see pulling a mask on and off in between sips!

And, yes, I've said I won't get too bent out of shape on this--YET.  I am hoping all of this nonsense goes away in the next 7 weeks...But, I really wish they wouldn't backtrack on stated policies...

I agree with you.  If vaccinated people must wear a mask onboard, I would cancel.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Mask Requirements:

While Ashore

They are still trying to deal with a new “normal” just be FLEXIBLE!

• Like 1

Every government has its version of the CDC – thankfully most haven't been as draconian as 'our' CDC, but the cruise lines will have to deal with the requirements of every port they visit.  That's how it's going to be until this thing has really settled down into 'endemic' status and everybody agrees how to move forward.  I'm so eager to cruise again that I will put up with any requirements.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Every government has its version of the CDC – thankfully most haven't been as draconian as 'our' CDC, but the cruise lines will have to deal with the requirements of every port they visit.  That's how it's going to be until this thing has really settled down into 'endemic' status and everybody agrees how to move forward.  I'm so eager to cruise again that I will put up with any requirements.

Well that’s good for you. Others don’t want to spend thousands of dollars to have a diminished experience. Thanks to the OP for bringing thus to light .

• Like 3

Unless you can deal with and accept itinerary change, masking and social distancing changes, DIY ok in some port but not other this week and different rules next week then you make want to consider moving your cruise out a year.

The cruise line isn’t changing rules because they have nothing better to do, the countries and ports can and will change the rules as they deem appropriate and the curse has to abide by them & advise passengers when changes occur.

• Like 4

I don´t get what the fuss is about- wearing a mask certainly is not. I did two cruises last year in July and October ( just before the second wave hit) . On both cruises masks were manadory- it did not bother me at all. We all have to live with those mask for the time beeing.

Outdoors it is a bit overdone- I agree- but if this is what it takes- so be it- I am glad to get on board in few days. Apex- here I come- with my mask firmly attached. LOL.

• Like 8

The fuss about wearing a mask is that it is not required for USA land vacations.  We are quickly getting back to normal.  When it comes down to wearing a mask or not I would choose the no mask.  They are required in airports but very few other places.  They are just uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.  

Land or Greek cruise?  Put me down for land until the rules and restrictions are relaxed.  I did enjoy my Greek cruise in 2019.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3

Most people booked these before the US relaxed the indoor masking and while knowing foreign ports/foreign flagged ships can make their own rules. While I’m disappointed that others will have the requirement, I’m selfishly ok with it given I have small ones traveling with me who would have to remain masked regardless. Time will tell on level of enforcement, but we can report back after we board.

All of the above is why we chose to cancel our July 2021 cruise before final payment and rebook for July 2022.  Waiting to be as close as possible to "normality" seemed to be the only way for us to truly enjoy our cruise.

For those of you that have chosen to put up with anything in order to get back to cruising as soon as possible, we sincerely wish you the best cruise possible.

I noticed the new mask 😷 outdoor requirement yesterday... this would be a deal breaker for me.... lying by the pool in 80f heat with a mask on...seriously 🤷‍♀️.   I disembarked MSC yesterday; no masks by pool or on the outer decks.  Mask wearing indoors at the theatre and shows wasn’t really enforced either....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, little britain said:

Mask wearing indoors at the theatre and shows wasn’t really enforced either

I'm not familiar with MSC protocols.  Were masks mandated/required indoors (eg theatre)?

If yes, then MSC should be enforcing the rules.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, little britain said:

I noticed the new mask 😷 outdoor requirement yesterday... this would be a deal breaker for me.... 

Yeah, that's where I am. I'm booked for Apex in September and I totally get masks indoors, although really with 95% or better vaccination rate I don't think it's that necessary. But outdoors? That's overkill and really a downer on the cruise experience.

Already made final payment, so I'm watching and waiting to see if I should take the FCC and switch to a land tour.

16 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I suspect this a Greek requirement, since Greece still requires face masks in all public spaces

i read a news article that they may consider relaxing the mask mandate by end of Sep

i also find this development unwelcome and may consider canceling my Sep Apex cruise depending on reviews from the first couple of Apex cruises

Hope it is,  we received the email with the new policy last Thursday evening.   If I'm not mistaken that was the day the positives in the Millenium were announced. I just hope this is not a reaction to the Millenium situation, the protocols are working and we have to follow the science.  Requiring masks outdoors for a completely vaccinated cruise doesn't make any sense.  Only those not vaccinated should be required to use masks all the time. 

We are booked on the Apex for 7/17 and didn't hear anything about this change from Celebrity directly. I'm hoping it's because they think it may change before we sail, but if not, that's pretty disappointing since it's a pretty major change to what was understood when we booked. 

11 hours ago, hnm2234 said:

We are booked on the Apex for 7/17 and didn't hear anything about this change from Celebrity directly. I'm hoping it's because they think it may change before we sail, but if not, that's pretty disappointing since it's a pretty major change to what was understood when we booked. 

Celebrity updated their website on June 9 to reflect the new mask policy (both indoors and outdoors).  So that mask policy will apply to all Apex sailings from Greece until changed.  Highly likely that masks will be required on your cruise, because I read in a news article that Greece may plan to change their mask mandate at the end of September, basically after the Apex Greece season.

On 6/13/2021 at 8:07 AM, little britain said:

I noticed the new mask 😷 outdoor requirement yesterday... this would be a deal breaker for me.... lying by the pool in 80f heat with a mask on...seriously 🤷‍♀️.   I disembarked MSC yesterday; no masks by pool or on the outer decks.  Mask wearing indoors at the theatre and shows wasn’t really enforced either....

On 6/13/2021 at 8:59 AM, Shadow9612 said:

I'm not familiar with MSC protocols.  Were masks mandated/required indoors (eg theatre)?

If yes, then MSC should be enforcing the rules.

I follow a couple of bloggers that have been on MSC cruises recently in Europe and around the UK and they emphasized that protocols are followed and enforced. If anyone relies on protocols not being enforced on US sailings, or sailings anywhere else in the world, they will likely be unpleasantly surprised. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

I follow a couple of bloggers that have been on MSC cruises recently in Europe and around the UK and they emphasized that protocols are followed and enforced. If anyone relies on protocols not being enforced on US sailings, or sailings anywhere else in the world, they will likely be unpleasantly surprised. 

Thank you @harkinmr.  I am glad to hear that. 

I feel it is so important for consumer confidence that we all feel safe when we are ready to cruise.  Part of that means knowing the policies and that they are enforced.

59 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I can assure you in one performance 🎭 there was literally one man wearing a mask in the audience. No one else was. We were sitting at a table with wine so we were exempt. 

1 minute ago, little britain said:

I can assure you in one performance 🎭 there was literally one man wearing a mask in the audience. No one else was. We were sitting at a table with wine so we were exempt. 

With all this uncertainty, so glad I’m not cruising until 2022, as much as I so want to!!

7 minutes ago, little britain said:

Given that folks were socially distanced in the theater, not a big deal. The theater experience is not indicative that mask rules were not generally enforced. 

• Like 1

I'll be closely monitoring the first couple of Apex cruises to see how zealous the mask enforcement is.  I understand that if people are wandering around the ship, likely mask will be enforced.  However, if I'm sitting by the pool or a lounge or anywhere else (not moving) with a drink or food in front of me, are they going to force me to pull my mask up unless I'm actively drinking/eating at that specific moment in time?  

If "unless drinking or eating" is loosely interpreted, then I'll be good.  If I have to pull up my mask between sips and bites, then that'll be a no go for me.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I'll be closely monitoring the first couple of Apex cruises to see how zealous the mask enforcement is.  I understand that if people are wandering around the ship, likely mask will be enforced.  However, if I'm sitting by the pool or a lounge or anywhere else (not moving) with a drink or food in front of me, are they going to force me to pull my mask up unless I'm actively drinking/eating at that specific moment in time?  

If "unless drinking or eating" is loosely interpreted, then I'll be good.  If I have to pull up my mask between sips and bites, then that'll be a no go for me.

On the same page here. I really want to go on my September Greek cruise, but I don't want to be miserable. Masks outside just make no sense to me given what we know about transmission, but especially a draconian version of that.

• Like 1