The Daily for Monday Jun 21, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, all! I will also pick seashells from the list of days to celebrate! The meal sounds wonderful. When peaches come into season here, I’d like to keep some of that sauce on hand. And today’s wine would pair nicely with all of it.

DD from Saskatchewan arrived yesterday. It is so good to see her! Her sister arrives from Taiwan on Friday. Technically they just overlap, but because one gets taken to a quarantine hotel for three days before anyone can see her, they won’t get to visit each other until later in the summer. I need to phone the quarantine hotel later. For a per diem cost slightly more than ocean view on a grand voyage, they are supposed to provide meals. DD is celiac, and apparently the hotel may not be able to accommodate gluten free requirements. You can’t incarcerate someone, charge the earth, and not feed them. I’m sure it’s a miscommunication and we can straighten that out.

This is the second and final day of our mini heat wave, and the lilies are going wild. One of them has produced an unusual stem, wide like a ribbon and with 36 flower buds instead of the usual 6 or so. It started with 41, but five didn’t develope. The flowers have begun to open, and it should be quite a sight!

308FCF3C-28AB-4B36-9BCA-AE8891FB7A48.thumb.jpeg.327d81fc29fcd460c261ac01a6a7a5f2.jpeg

Happy Monday, have a great week, and dream of those BHBs getting closer!

F0B57C56-7CDB-4045-9E63-98B5C536481B.thumb.jpeg.e7d12f9ac95c0b955df8bd55e933c7f9.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 29

Good morning from a cloudy, breezy, hazy central Texas.  We are supposed to get rain late this afternoon and tonight, and it's been long enough between showers that we need it.

Like many others, skateboarding would probably lead to the ER.  I have tried a modified yoga program and probably need to get serious about it and exercise, but I'm also an on again, off again exerciser, mostly off.  My exercise is yard work and house cleaning, but that is only once a week or so.  We have collected sea shells over the years, and have some on display.  My favorite two, that we found on the beach on Christmas Island, with purple on the shells .

I totally agree that life should be lived as an adventure.

Grilled shrimp sounds good and I do have some large shrimp in the freezer, but that will be for another day. I have the last of the pulled pork thawing for dinner tonight with our wine.   I'll pass on the drink, but might try the wine if I see it.

We have not been to Otaru, and I'm beginning to realize that we need to do an cruise around Japan when the world settles down again.  @tjcox9 Thank you for the pictures.  It looks like a nice port to visit.

@kazu  Congratulations on getting your second shots. 

@StLouisCruisers   Sandi, enjoy your free day, and take it easy.

@St. Louis Sal  Thanks for the tip about the Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum app.  Maybe, I'll learn what the purple shells are.

Following my instincts and the sound advice from the Daily family, when I went through the boxes of the DDs' things, I took a load with us yesterday for them to check out.  I was surprised at some of the things they wanted in 1999, but no longer want.   They kept some stuff, DSIL got a couple of things, we brought some back to take to the thrift store, and some the DDs are going to take to a thrift store in Austin.  We agreed, they need to come here and go through the rest of the stuff, as it's too much to haul to Austin.  

Lenda

• Like 23

Good morning all!

We're enjoying this stretch of warm, dry days after having so much rain this spring.  I guess it will get up to the mid 80's F in a few days, no rain in sight.

DS had a skateboard, but otherwise my only link to skateboards is the skateboard park that was put in not far from us.  We were shaking our heads, as it went in right after Covid restrictions began.  It was always filled with mask-less kids and crowded every time we went by.  I think we liked it better when it was a dog park 😉  

Years ago I did a little yoga as part of stretching after exercise, but haven't for a long time.  Love sea shells, the meal sounds great (but I think it will be bbq chicken tonight) as does the wine.  Never have been to the port and most likely never will get to Japan, so thank you to all who post photos.

@kazucongrats to you and your DH for getting your second jabs!

@Horizon chaser 1957ohmygosh that Lily is amazing!!  Please post more photos as more flowers open.  

• Like 17

Good morning everyone and Happy Monday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for the lists Roy. I’ll celebrate sea shell day!  I love to look for them at the beach. Sandollars are a favorite and I’ve found some at the central California coast. 

The shrimp would be a great appetizer. I think we might have hamburgers tonight. 

Thanks to everyone who posted pictures of today’s port. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17

👍Thank You for The Daily, Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists. Another PT session this afternoon...working on range of motion and all the other 'fun' stuff, lol!🙃 💉Congratulations for getting your second vaccination @kazu

Looking forward to seeing more photos for today's port. Otari, Japan is on our itinerary for 2022 'adventures' (that's what we call cruises and road trips) on Noordam 28 day beginning Aptil 12. Great photos from @tjcox9 and @Sir PMP so far.💗 the 'lion shave' @ger_77.

Prayers to all in need!🙏

Katie

FB_IMG_1624243372350.jpg

• Like 19

Good Morning.  

I love Monday!  Favorite day of the week.  I wish my back felt the same.  Today the pain has settled into my lower back and that first hour is agony before the Advil kicks in.  

I haven't skateboarded since I was about 12 and was pretty good at it.  I attempted to get on one again about 25 years later and almost broke my neck, guess those days are over.

The summer heat has settled in pretty good in the Seattle area, but the window fans did a fine job of rapidly lowering the temperature at bedtime, to the point of where I had to turn one of them off.  It went from 83 to 76 in about an hour.  Anything below 75 and I freeze, I'm cold-blooded.

Today is final payment day for us personally (not for the cruise itself).  So I'll be calling HAL in a couple of hours for that.  We'd really like to put down a deposit on something for next year so I'm going to take a look at itineraries, the South Pacific as usual is priced a bit high, so we're hoping there will be more South America sailings from San Diego which is our favorite port to sail out of besides our home port of Seattle; there's always Hawaii again if all else fails.  

• Like 19

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. Just no for skateboarding; I don't want to end up in the ER! I have a bottle with sand and seashells from growing up on the Jersey shore.

Good quote.

The meal is one of the few seafood things I'll eat. I like the wine. Also like Roy's meal.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for pictures from those who have.

It's warm and humid today, with possible thunderstorms this afternoon. No yardwork today.

@kazu Congrats on the vaccinations.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Enjoy your visit with your DD's; yikes on the charges for the quarantine hotel. Love that lily!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Be safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19

3 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Good Morning.  

I love Monday!  Favorite day of the week.  I wish my back felt the same.  Today the pain has settled into my lower back and that first hour is agony before the Advil kicks in.  

I haven't skateboarded since I was about 12 and was pretty good at it.  I attempted to get on one again about 25 years later and almost broke my neck, guess those days are over.

The summer heat has settled in pretty good in the Seattle area, but the window fans did a fine job of rapidly lowering the temperature at bedtime, to the point of where I had to turn one of them off.  It went from 83 to 76 in about an hour.  Anything below 75 and I freeze, I'm cold-blooded.

Today is final payment day for us personally (not for the cruise itself).  So I'll be calling HAL in a couple of hours for that.  We'd really like to put down a deposit on something for next year so I'm going to take a look at itineraries, the South Pacific as usual is priced a bit high, so we're hoping there will be more South America sailings from San Diego which is our favorite port to sail out of besides our home port of Seattle; there's always Hawaii again if all else fails.  

I forgot to thank all the posters and offer prayers/thoughts to all in need, including me. 😁

• Like 15

@tjcox9 Those bathroom signs are hilarious, we can never seem to find them at cruise terminals or port stops so I would guess that's what everybody was doing if it was near the dock.

@ger_77 I'm not indigenous, but honor those that are, I found them to be the nicest people around when I worked up in Alaska.  There is no public transportation in many of those little towns and hitch hiking is allowed and perfectly acceptable, so I had many rides in the backs of trucks from the local Inuit.

@lindaler Don't forget the lifejackets, there's been a lot of incidents in our waters lately from people not wearing them, the water is still pretty cold.

@Cruising-along I like to sit and watch them go at it at the skateboard park.  They do things I could never do, for me it was another from of transportation.  

@summer slope That's what happened to me when I thought I'd relive my young years; the skateboard shot out from under me and went flying down the walk, and I fell backwards with thankfully just a bruise here n there, I was relieved nobody witnessed the spectacle.  

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

the lilies are going wild. One of them has produced an unusual stem, wide like a ribbon and with 36 flower buds instead of the usual 6 or so. It started with 41, but five didn’t develope. The flowers have begun to open, and it should be quite a sight!

308FCF3C-28AB-4B36-9BCA-AE8891FB7A48.thumb.jpeg.327d81fc29fcd460c261ac01a6a7a5f2.jpeg

WOW!!!  How spectacular 👍 

• Like 14

57 minutes ago, atexsix said:

wish my back felt the same.  Today the pain has settled into my lower back and that first hour is agony before the Advil kicks in.  

Sorry your back is still so painful 😣. Have you tried Salonpas patches?  They can really help - especially if it is muscular.

Robaxacet is my go to back pill when I need it - not sure if you can buy it in the U.S. or not though.  But, I do know you can get Salonpas.  They go on every cruise with us.  If we don’t need them, someone on the roll call usually does 😉 

• Like 15

Hot, windy and dry here again (so what else is new?). During the afternoons the clouds roll in and the clouds roll out.... and nary a rain drop. Just dry lightening which we don't need. We are due for a little break the end of the week. Hope it comes. But, Roy, our wildfires are contained or out... at least for the time being. Day before yesterday there were 22 (count 'um!!!) strikes that started small fires in southwest Colorado but all were dealt with very quickly. The haze we are getting is coming from south and west of us.

I love shrimp in just about any form, but tonight I have some thawed beef. I am going to surprise myself as to what I will turn it into. Just don't feel up to planning much ahead of time.

Off to work on my storage shed. The painters were using it to store their stuff while they worked on our condos and I had them climb up and pull things down from the top two shelves that I can not reach without a ladder so now there are boxes to sort. I would so much rather be cruising.

Susan

• Like 16

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the skateboarding and yoga but love sea shells.  I have not been to Otaru although I think it may have started out on my Grand Asia but lost in a shuffle of the itinerary when China threw a hissy fit about us visiting Korea and we had to change the Japan ports.  I love the quote.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the shrimp.  My alternative is Fruit Salad with Yogurt and Honey, and Crispy Country-Style Buttermiilk Chicken, my embarkation luncheon on the Prinsendam May 20, 2015.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Colorado wildfires

From the rotation:

Mary229's sister resting after treatment for agressive cancer
Wandb’s sister undergoing agressive chemo
Cruising-along’s cousin rejecting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Quartzite Cruiser visiting with DD’s

Ger_77 annual cemetery cleanup

lindaler’s sister coming to visit

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

HorizonChaser1957's daughters headed home

StLouisCruiser with family in Ohio

Birthday lunch for Tbay’s DS

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the care and shout out list.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  So humid this morning.  No skateboarding.  But a funny.  DH was going to show our DD how to do it.  He got on, it went out from under him and shot across the street into our neighbors yard.  DD and I were laughing so hard.  Haven't tried Yoga yet and love to look for shells.  The meal looks and sounds wonderful. I've printed the recipe for a later time.  Have not been to today's port.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.  Virtual hugs to all of our adopted family.

Stay safe, please continue to social distance and wear your mask.

Could not find Another Brick in the Wall recipe so this is just a Brick Wall.

Brick Wall

1.5oz apple cider syrup (see below)
1.5oz Woodford Reserve Bourbon Whiskey bourbon
Ginger ale
Lime wedge
1 slice green apple (if you’re into garnishes)

Combine equal parts syrup and bourbon in an ice-filled glass. Top off glass with a bit of ginger ale. Squeeze in lime. Optional: garnish with apple slice.

Apple cider syrup

Bring 0.25 cup sugar, 5 cracked allspice berries, 4 whole cloves and 0.75 inches of ginger root (peeled and sliced very thin) up to a simmer. Simmer 10 minutes. Kill heat and let steep for 90 minutes. Let cool and strain. The recipe here claims to make enough for 10 drinks, but that’s wrong. By my calculation, it makes enough for about 5.5 drinks.

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 7.40.48 AM.png

This sounds refreshing!

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry your back is still so painful 😣. Have you tried Salonpas patches?  They can really help - especially if it is muscular.

Robaxacet is my go to back pill when I need it - not sure if you can buy it in the U.S. or not though.  But, I do know you can get Salonpas.  They go on every cruise with us.  If we don’t need them, someone on the roll call usually does 😉 

Thanks, I will definitely look for them, not sure if it's available here or not. I'm sure a google search will turn up something.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Thanks, I will definitely look for them, not sure if it's available here or not. I'm sure a google search will turn up something.

Definitely are available.  I forgot, there are several different kinds.  These are the type I find to be most effective:  https://www.amazon.com/Salonpas-Relief-Patches-Speciall-Count/dp/B01N9GQJTQ/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=Salonpas&qid=1624294960&sr=8-12

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, kazu said:

Definitely are available.  I forgot, there are several different kinds.  These are the type I find to be most effective:  https://www.amazon.com/Salonpas-Relief-Patches-Speciall-Count/dp/B01N9GQJTQ/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=Salonpas&qid=1624294960&sr=8-12

Just bought some at W..mart last week.  I considered the kind with Lidocaine, but got the ones you pictured with Menthol. A small pack to start with.  Haven't tried them yet. I saw your suggestion about this a while back, so thanks Jacqui!

• Like 9

Good Monday morning, all, another start to another long week.  Just announced that border restrictions are being lifted July 5 for fully vaccinated Canadians.  I wonder how that is going to work.  Testing will be involved, but no quarantine.   Cheers to those who are celebrating and prayers for those who are not.  I have had a busy morning baking - it's probably going to be our warmest day of the summer, of course.  Two loaves of banana bread, one with and one without nuts, and two batches of brownies, one with and one without nuts.  I wanted to get a few things in the freezer for Ruth for when she gets home from the hospital, and I imagine she will continue with her no nut regimen.  I also did some gardening, and when everything is out of the oven I may go for a walk and then take the afternoon off!

My DD sent me this this morning, but I don't think she realized there is a BHB in it!

Bridges

• Like 19

3 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Just bought some at W..mart last week.  I considered the kind with Lidocaine, but got the ones you pictured with Menthol. A small pack to start with.  Haven't tried them yet. I saw your suggestion about this a while back, so thanks Jacqui!

Hope they help.   🤞 They really save me when my back won’t co-operate.  

• Like 7

Good evening everyone.

Thanks for the daily and care list's.

We are sitting at Seaham beach which is famous for coloured sea glass on the beach which is collected and sent all over the world.

Seaham was once home to the largest glass bottle works in Britain and in the 1920s Londonderry Bottleworks produced up to 20 million handblown glass bottles a year.

Today's meal selection sounds lovely.

We have never been to today's port.

Graham.

16242975016028812133018119107372.jpg

IMG_20200812_144012.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 22