Renting a tux?

kjwinston2019

7 hours ago, kjwinston2019 said:

Does celebrity still have this service where a Tux will be in our cabin before we take off? Or is this only in Florida? 

I believe the business that provided that service, is no longer in business

The web site is down cruiselineformal dot com

Edited by rucrazy

I read something this week--on Celebrity's website, I believe--that tuxes are no longer availble for rent on the ship. Memba when they also used to rent sparkly tops and long skirts for women (for when your luggage got lost)--and corsages and boutonnieres???  I'm giving away my age, lol...

(Though we actually have been given the fresh flowers for each "formerly formal" night on HAL, as recently as Jan 2020. Maybe related to Neptune suites.)

44 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Though we actually have been given the fresh flowers for each "formerly formal" night on HAL, as recently as Jan 2020. Maybe related to Neptune suites

Yes in Neptune we receive 2 Boutonnieres instead of 1 and 1 (corsages and boutonnieres)

I know that the Formal nights seem to be coming to the end, But I must be showing my age...I love taking the trophy wife to the Prom still....LOL I guess I will have to go out and buy one from a formal shop. I wonder why the young don't like to dress like James Bond anymore. 

IMG_0331.JPG

• Like 12

I donated my long gowns and DHs tux ( which we only took when we could drive to the port). Pre- pandemic 14 days or aB2B2B with luggage weight restrictions caused us to drop the formal wear.  But it was fun to get dressed to the 9s and sit at the Martini or Passport bar and watch the fashion show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevinwinston2019 said:

I know that the Formal nights seem to be coming to the end, But I must be showing my age...I love taking the trophy wife to the Prom still....LOL I guess I will have to go out and buy one from a formal shop. I wonder why the young don't like to dress like James Bond anymore. 

IMG_0331.JPG

Why not just call her your beautiful wife?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kevinwinston2019 said:

IMG_0331.JPG

We too love the fantasy!.. It is what makes us feel good, not what others choose to wear!jdformal.thumb.jpg.c01f285ef61b6b401f6fe5bac33c771f.jpg 

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

On my last three cruises I never saw one Tux. As grand as they look , I would feel very out of place now to wear. A little bit sad but times have changed. Even James Bond wouldn’t wear today unless in Monte Carlo at night.

Totally agree with you! In 2019 and 2020 we were on Celebrity, MSC, NCL and RCI and could count men in tux on one hand. Mine is in retirement!

Stay Safe Happy Cruising! 

On 6/22/2021 at 11:13 PM, kjwinston2019 said:

Does celebrity still have this service where a Tux will be in our cabin before we take off? Or is this only in Florida? 

cruiselineformal.com used to be the website that you could go to for tuxedo rentals.  Their website domain name expired in Mar 2021.

11 hours ago, Kevinwinston2019 said:

IMG_0331.JPG

This is the time of year to buy a tux. June weddings cause a glut of tuxedos at rental shops. My DH bought a traditional tux for $99 (cheaper than a rental) at Men’s Wearhouse the first week of July. It turned out to be new, never rented & didn’t need any alterations (which would’ve been included in the cost). FYI, great picture!

12 hours ago, Kevinwinston2019 said:

Formal nights have come to an end on Celebrity. I have not wore my tux in years. That said formal is an option and there will be some others wearing tuxedos. There will be more than one or three others wearing tuxedos.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 12:13 AM, kjwinston2019 said:

Not sure- best to call and ask.  My DH still enjoys dressing up on "chic" nights.  He wears a dinner jacket- with a tie and tuxedo pants.  I no longer wear a gown- but dressy short dresses or silk pants and a top.  We really want to celebrate on our January 2022 cruises and will dress up.  We will really enjoy dressing up!  Since we have gained a few pounds over this covid period, will either have diet or purchase new clothes!

Edited by Cruise a holic

14 hours ago, Kevinwinston2019 said:

IMG_0331.JPG

On our last cruise March 2020, my son and son-in-law both wore and looked fabulous in their tuxes! 

0E28D097-F0BF-4B90-9F9F-1072C09F4DAC.jpeg

• Like 9

On P&O it is still 2 evenings per 7 day cruise that are formal nights which prohibit many venues on board for those that choose otherwise.  Living in bygone days but a money maker for the photo shop onboard.  I believe they are the only cruiseline where it’s mandatory and it’s definitely a 3 star experience, not to the standard of Celebrity for sure.

2 minutes ago, cbfb said:

Nope, that’s the style for the young ones!!! 

Times have changed! Nick Cannon may have started it. I have seen tennis shoes being worn with a tux. Ladies no longer wear hose either.

Maybe if I wear a tux again I will leave the socks off and people will think I am young.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Times have changed! Nick Cannon may have started it. I have seen tennis shoes being worn with a tux. Ladies no longer wear hose either.

Maybe if I wear a tux again I will leave the socks off and people will think I am young.  LOL

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 😉

On 6/23/2021 at 7:10 AM, rucrazy said:

I believe the business that provided that service, is no longer in business

The web site is down cruiselineformal dot com

Correct, they went out of business sometime in 2018/19 I believe. If they hadn't I'm sure that Covid would have put them out of business. 

I for one will miss them. Other than my own wedding, many years ago, cruises were the only time I would get into a tux. It was nice to get all dressed up and get some pictures done by the ships photographers. We have several sets of pictures from cruises that are quite good of both the DW and I all dressed up. 

Also nothing beats the elegant fun of playing craps with a bunch of guys in tuxes. 

Edited by drowelf
  • Like 3