Time for the Next Round of Cancellations?

34 minutes ago, SOPOME said:

I had reservations on Vision for September 5th, November 6th (reposition), and January 24.  I ended up cancelling September 5th and moving the reservation to Alaska.  That seemed like a much better bet for us!   At the time I was betting that Royal will bring the smaller ships back last, concentrating on the bigger ships for revenue potential.   September 5th seemed too soon, but we kept the November and January cruises in place.

Here's what's interesting....  When I go into my reservation and look at planning my Alaska cruise, all sorts of typical discounts come up for excursions, beverage, dining, etc.   When I go to the November Vision cruise planner - NOTHING!   When I go to the January Vision cruise planner, lots of discounts are there.    

It might be a coincidence, but my guess is they already know Vision isn't sailing this year, and just haven't told us yet... 😟

We have vision booked for October 10th and the cruise planner is showing everything from drink packages to dining to shore excursions available to book (129 different excursions available). I have my doubts that vision will sail but I'm not losing all hope just yet.  The explorer was supposed to take over the San Juan routes end of October after being in Galveston till then but the Galveston cruises were switched to the independence so I kinda wonder if they may cancel the Sept and October vision sailings out of San Juan and bring the explorer down early and transfer everyone to it. Supposedly the bigger ships are more efficient to operate. Could that possibly explain why you see nothing on your cruise planner for the vision repo in November? 

1 hour ago, zpdw484 said:

We have vision booked for October 10th and the cruise planner is showing everything from drink packages to dining to shore excursions available to book (129 different excursions available). I have my doubts that vision will sail but I'm not losing all hope just yet.  The explorer was supposed to take over the San Juan routes end of October after being in Galveston till then but the Galveston cruises were switched to the independence so I kinda wonder if they may cancel the Sept and October vision sailings out of San Juan and bring the explorer down early and transfer everyone to it. Supposedly the bigger ships are more efficient to operate. Could that possibly explain why you see nothing on your cruise planner for the vision repo in November? 

That’s interesting!

Maybe the repo cruise isn’t going to happen but others will?

So much for my theory! Haha

We are on the August 15th cruise out of Galveston, they changed the ship from Liberty to Independence and reassigned our cabins a couple of weeks ago. I believe that is because they are lowering the passenger numbers and spreading the cabins assignments out. They changed the itinerary because some ports are not allowing passengers. We show the drink, dining and tours on our planner and can purchase them at this time. The number of tours is lower and I read on the Celerity that in Cozumel and Costa Maya you could only take ship tours due to restrictions by the host country. I am sure a lot of this will change as we move forward but fell that our cruise is a go at this point. 

On 6/28/2021 at 7:46 PM, bgriffin5 said:

Royal cannot “require” 95/98 in Florida because of the law which is why freedom needed the test cruise. Royal has also said their summer sailings were typically families and it was unlikely they could reach those percentages anyway.  So Freedom had to test 

I think the bigger issue is that Royal brands itself as the "family" version of its ships, and approx. 10% of passengers (under current situation) on Royal are too young to be vaccinated.  Personally, I'd be fine if they just told everyone be vaccinated or pay extra for testing and insurance, but I don't have wee ones.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RVAcruiser said:

I think the bigger issue is that Royal brands itself as the "family" version of its ships, and approx. 10% of passengers (under current situation) on Royal are too young to be vaccinated.  Personally, I'd be fine if they just told everyone be vaccinated or pay extra for testing and insurance, but I don't have wee ones.  

Why not just cruise now with only vaccinated and NO kids until 2022.............When there will be less people getting Covid because of Herd Immunity.

Kids went without cruising for 15 months, what's another 6 months.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Why not just cruise now with only vaccinated and NO kids until 2022.............When there will be less people getting Covid because of Herd Immunity.

Kids went without cruising for 15 months, what's another 6 months.

Like I said, that would be 100% fine with me, but my guess if that Royal is worried they'll burn goodwill with the families if they say no kids on cruises until they're eligible to get the vaccine.  

19 hours ago, jcc1025 said:

We are on the August 15th cruise out of Galveston, they changed the ship from Liberty to Independence and reassigned our cabins a couple of weeks ago. I believe that is because they are lowering the passenger numbers and spreading the cabins assignments out. They changed the itinerary because some ports are not allowing passengers. We show the drink, dining and tours on our planner and can purchase them at this time. The number of tours is lower and I read on the Celerity that in Cozumel and Costa Maya you could only take ship tours due to restrictions by the host country. I am sure a lot of this will change as we move forward but fell that our cruise is a go at this point. 

For the last 3 weeks on Adventure, we the vaccinated passengers were able to get off in any port without a Royal excursion-that included getting off in Cozumel.

Edited by gadaboutgal

On 6/30/2021 at 5:18 PM, zpdw484 said:

We have Vision booked on Sept 26th and Explorer on Thanksgiving week.  Looking at packages the discounts have all been removed from Vision and still exist for Explorer.  So maybe Vision is getting cancelled which means I need to prep for changes but honestly if it happens I will be looking at an all inclusive most likely.

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on the Odyssey in DEC leaving out of Florida. One of the ports is Cayman. I am seeing news reports that the Caymans are closed to cruise ships until early 2022. That fact along with the recent CDC decision makes me doubt that this cruise is actually going to happen. Of course no communication at all from RCI.

11 minutes ago, bagapeak said:

We are booked on the Odyssey in DEC leaving out of Florida. One of the ports is Cayman. I am seeing news reports that the Caymans are closed to cruise ships until early 2022. That fact along with the recent CDC decision makes me doubt that this cruise is actually going to happen. Of course no communication at all from RCI.

There's no new info out there that would put this cruise at risk.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bagapeak said:

We are schedule to sail on August 15th on Independence out of Galveston. The original cruise included Cayman but has been amended to different ports. Cruise is still going and we have received the check in procedure on the app and got out documents and luggage tags today. 

Depending on the ports I think the cruises will all go but the ports may change. We have been on other cruises pre-Covid where the ports changed for various reasons and even have had it happen mid cruise. I think you will go but they will sub a different port for Cayman. 

I have to make a final in a couple of weeks.  Adventure but after it moves to Galveston which there’s been no info on.  I’ve joked with the DH that it will be a saving plan which makes no interest, which we won’t get back for months if it doesn’t go.  We’ve had at least 6 cruises cancelled.  I had quit making bookings or paying finals because it took so long to get refunded.

It is hard to know what to do but since I really want it to go I guess we have to take the risk of it being cancelled too.  For us it’s the only option for the rest of the year due to vacation schedules.  As everyone is, I’m so tired of Covid and just want to get back to normal.  ( Will that ever be?)

4 hours ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

I specifically asked about Vision for September because of San Juan, got the typical response of we will let you know if anything changes.

They sent the July 6th update.
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

San Juan is really the question.

We have Vision booked for Oct. Reading between the lines I don't expect it to sail.  But if it does and ends up having the same mask protocols that they have announced for every other ship we are out... At this point I just want it cancelled so I can book something else. 

12 hours ago, zpdw484 said:

We have Vision booked for Oct. Reading between the lines I don't expect it to sail.  But if it does and ends up having the same mask protocols that they have announced for every other ship we are out... At this point I just want it cancelled so I can book something else. 

I am actually thinking the other way, I am thinking IF San Juan allows Vision it will be at full vaccination rate and therefore possibly no masks.

Either way its getting awfully close.

1 minute ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

I am actually thinking the other way, I am thinking IF San Juan allows Vision it will be at full vaccination rate and therefore possibly no masks.

That would be great... Who knows what they are thinking at this point. Hopefully some info will be released soon. 

I am on Vision out of San Juan on September 12.  I have serious doubts it will happen, and I also would like Royal to make some sort of announcement so we can make other arrangements.  I already have airfare booked - so if Royal keeps dragging their feet this will become a big problem for us.

Is there any further news on late September/October cruises on Anthem?  Surprised at the change of itinerary for the early September cruises. International cruise travel is still not advised as per current UK government advice .

I too am concerned about San Juan. I have searched high and low to no avail on information on cruise ships starting back up in San Juan. I even sent a email to the head of the Port Authority and have not heard back from him. I'm due to sail November 7th on Explorer. It would be nice to get an update. When Royal say's these ships suspended through August, my guess is that we will hear something by the end of August but I hope it's sooner.

5 hours ago, chocolabmom said:

I am on Vision out of San Juan on September 12.  I have serious doubts it will happen, and I also would like Royal to make some sort of announcement so we can make other arrangements.  I already have airfare booked - so if Royal keeps dragging their feet this will become a big problem for us.

I'm watching this as well since I'm due her in December. The CDC currently lists the ship status as "crew only", so the inference there is that it hasn't done its simulation stuff yet. RC's own site lists it as suspended until 31 August. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates .

8 hours ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

Royal has not had a ship embark a CDC controlled port with full vaccination requirement