Time for the Next Round of Cancellations?

On 6/26/2021 at 2:38 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

.  Have not heard any chatter about Brilliance and  someone on the M&M board made a comment about "issues" at Tampa Port. 

M

Any clue just what those "issues" might be?

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I doubt that includes weekends for some reason.

Top that off with, what if they are not approved?  Once they instate any additional changes to be approved, will they need to do another test cruise with the CDC?  For some strange reason the CDC doesn’t seem like a rubber stamp,approval right now. I don’t think any of this has been noted anywhere. 

I would not want to be on the sailing, but would feel more comfortable if I had one booked for early July at this moment. 

Nah it is a rubber stamp approval. Its all theater. Nobody will get denied approval from cdc. Close as you can get to a sure thing.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Nah it is a rubber stamp approval. Its all theater. Nobody will get denied approval from cdc. Close as you can get to a sure thing.

This is my thinking.  Florida's lawsuit has whipped the CDC into submission.  It is all about to become advisory anyways.  The last thing the CDC wants is to get slapped down again.  The required test cruises of the CSO are about to disappear.  Perhaps as a show magnanimousness by the cruise lines will go along with the recommendations of test cruises but that is just theatre to assuage the battered egos of the discredited CDC and to buy some goodwill for the cruise lines in the future. There will be no ships that do not sail after July 18th because of the CDC CSO.  After that date ships will sail as the cruise lines are able to staff their ships with vacinated staff and demand dictates.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

I’ll go with the wait and see approach.  I’m fairly sure the test cruises for all ships can not happen before the next cancellations. Might be a rubber stamp after the test cruises, but there will be more cancellations to come. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’ll go with the wait and see approach.  I’m fairly sure the test cruises for all ships can not happen before the next cancellations. Might be a rubber stamp after the test cruises, but there will be more cancellations to come. 

I definitely think there’ll be more cancellations. I think the cruise lines want a staggered restart ramping up at a reasonable pace.  I just don’t think the lack of sailings will be because of the  CSO anymore. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I definitely think there’ll be more cancellations. I think the cruise lines want a staggered restart ramping up at a reasonable pace.  I just don’t think the lack of sailings will be because of the  CSO anymore. 

I just heard richard fain tonight, night 1, say he hoped to get all of rcl ships restarted by year end and it will be a staggered restart.. .. I thought..by year end. 

10 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Agreed. They don’t have enough staff on hand in the first place to bring the ships up to pace for starters. The only thing that would have me concerned is the effect of the Delta variant, but if protocols are effective hopefully it will be nothing or at most a blip on the radar.

Given time, and some luck, this slow restart can ramp up into something more similar to what we remember cruising to be like a few years ago. I look forward to that day. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

We had an Enchantment booked for Sept 2021 and moved that reservation to an Allure in October 2021.  Enchantment was listed as out of service until Sept plus Canada has not opened cruises so this was a big potential cancellation so we moved it. Hopefully we have no more obvious potential cancellations in the future.  I think that list of out of service through August ships will all be toast and rescheduled.  

Edited by torpeedo

On 6/26/2021 at 12:53 PM, A&L_Ont said:

Until test cruises are done for each ship and approved I’m expecting more to come. 

If Royal chooses to go 95/98 then no test cruise is needed. Also I believe based on the latest court ruling on July 18th the requirement for a test cruise if no fully vaxed may no longer be valid. 

I have a b2b scheduled for Liberty out of Galveston 9/26/2021 and 10/3/2021.  I am pretty confident it will sail.  But things are a bit different in Texas as compared to Florida....easier for cruise lines to comply with CDC requirements.

On 6/26/2021 at 12:44 PM, DallasGuy75219 said:

Vision (and possibly Explorer eventually). I expect San Juan to be one of the last U.S. ports for sailings to resume from.

I have Vision booked Sept 26th for wife and I, and Explorer for Thanksgiving week for us with 2 adult kids.  I already have airfare, Southwest from Pittsburgh to San Juan cost us $5,000 for the 4.  

So I am impatiently waiting to see what comes from Puerto Rico.  My assumption it will be full vaccination required to get on ship which would be amazing since no kids under 12 will be vaccinated. 

I am currently making backup plans for other cruises and All Inclusives if these drop from San Juan.

6 minutes ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

I have Vision booked Sept 26th for wife and I, and Explorer for Thanksgiving week for us with 2 adult kids.  I already have airfare, Southwest from Pittsburgh to San Juan cost us $5,000 for the 4.  

So I am impatiently waiting to see what comes from Puerto Rico.  My assumption it will be full vaccination required to get on ship which would be amazing since no kids under 12 will be vaccinated. 

I am currently making backup plans for other cruises and All Inclusives if these drop from San Juan.

We are booked on the December 4 Explorer and anxiously waiting for info.  Airfare on Southwest was considerably higher than our other three cancelled San Juan itineraries, but is booked along with hotels for the two nights prior to the cruise.  This is the one I would most hate to lose; we are already booked for next year, so L&S won’t help.  Hoping the fourth time will be the charm!

Also waiting for word on a short Brilliance sailing in late September.  L&S would be fine on this very nicely price sailing, but I would prefer to be going this year.

17 minutes ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

We have vision booked for Oct 10th and explorer the week after Christmas. Booked flights with miles that can be cancelled and reinstated and have not booked any pre cruise hotels yet. Final payment for Oct is quickly approaching. San Juan is our favorite port to sail from so we are really hoping to sail but are not getting our hopes up to high. If cancelled I just hope it's early enough to find availability on another ship as we are tied to them specific weeks off work.

42 minutes ago, josh.vincent.180 said:

Wow, that is crazy high for airfare to San Juan !!

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wow, that is crazy high for airfare to San Juan !!

Thanksgiving airfare is brutal to about anywhere. We considered a Turkey Day cruise this year to take advantage of double points, but nixed it since airfare would be so expensive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bgriffin5 said:

If Royal chooses to go 95/98 then no test cruise is needed.

From what others posted here on CC, they weren’t hitting the 95/98 number for vaccinated cruises from Bahamas so I’m not sure how that will work for American departures. 

Also I believe based on the latest court ruling on July 18th the requirement for a test cruise if no fully vaxed may no longer be valid. 

I’m confused by this.  If this accurate then why did Freedom do it’s test cruise last week?  Maybe I’m missing something in your explanation?  My understanding is Royal is planning for lower vaccinated rates for American departures, because it is a family cruise line. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

15 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I just heard richard fain tonight, night 1, say he hoped to get all of rcl ships restarted by year end and it will be a staggered restart.. .. I thought..by year end. 

That is longer than I would expect but I imagine the logistics of quarantining staff are what slows the whole process down.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

If this accurate then why did Freedom do it’s test cruise last week?  Maybe I’m missing something in your explanation?

The CSO is still in effect.  The CDC has until July 2 to come back with something that is reasonable. Otherwise, July 18th it becomes advisory.  

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The CSO is still in effect.  The CDC has until July 2 to come back with something that is reasonable. Otherwise, July 18th it becomes advisory.  

Thanks @Tree_skier

This explanation makes a bit more sense. I guess it brings about another question, why bother doing any test cruises if there is a good chance of expiration on July 18th.  Perhaps RC thinks there will be a more responsible replacement or due diligence on their part for down the road?

If it does just become a advisory, it would still take time to crew the ships with vaccinated staff.  If that is the case then RC would be bringing the ships on-line as they choose to, with factors like staffing, and public demand etc… being their driving factors. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

9 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

From what others posted here on CC, they weren’t hitting the 95/98 number for vaccinated cruises from Bahamas so I’m not sure how that will work for American departures. 

I’m confused by this.  If this accurate then why did Freedom do it’s test cruise last week?  Maybe I’m missing something in your explanation?  My understanding is Royal is planning for lower vaccinated rates for American departures, because it is a family cruise line. 

Royal cannot “require” 95/98 in Florida because of the law which is why freedom needed the test cruise. Royal has also said their summer sailings were typically families and it was unlikely they could reach those percentages anyway.  So Freedom had to test 

On 6/27/2021 at 11:51 AM, Uniqeni said:

I am on brilliance September 18th. I'm starting to lose hope. I wishe they would announce something soon

It’s almost impossible to believe it is September 2021, not 2020. I already lost hope; so, our next cruise is at the end of July 2022 (2.5 years later!!!) now (cancelled and rebooked so many of them that I cannot even count anymore). What was “funny”: we had a booked cruise 2.5 years ago for March 2021 to Seychelles; in April 2020 I read “Seychelles governor said that they will not allow any cruise until 2022”. At that second I was sure it was a typo in the article (even 2021 sounded ridiculous). Go figure! Madness! 

Edited by kirtihk

On 6/28/2021 at 6:46 PM, bgriffin5 said:

Royal cannot “require” 95/98 in Florida because of the law which is why freedom needed the test cruise. Royal has also said their summer sailings were typically families and it was unlikely they could reach those percentages anyway.  So Freedom had to test 

Sure they can make the requirement, they CHOOSE not to. 

Celebrity pulled it off just fine. 

• Like 1

I had reservations on Vision for September 5th, November 6th (reposition), and January 24.  I ended up cancelling September 5th and moving the reservation to Alaska.  That seemed like a much better bet for us!   At the time I was betting that Royal will bring the smaller ships back last, concentrating on the bigger ships for revenue potential.   September 5th seemed too soon, but we kept the November and January cruises in place.

Here's what's interesting....  When I go into my reservation and look at planning my Alaska cruise, all sorts of typical discounts come up for excursions, beverage, dining, etc.   When I go to the November Vision cruise planner - NOTHING!   When I go to the January Vision cruise planner, lots of discounts are there.    

It might be a coincidence, but my guess is they already know Vision isn't sailing this year, and just haven't told us yet... 😟

Edited by SOPOME