More restrictions for unvaccinated passengers

I can say after the announcement was made on Adventure last week that two kids tested positive that I had a heightened awareness of the presence of kids. There really weren't many, but when I saw them on the Royal Promenade unmasked, I gave them a lot of space. If they got on my elevator, I quietly got off. I'm not a scene maker so it was just easier to let them have it and wait for the next one. That was on a ship 92% vaccinated adults/8% children, with only 900 or so passengers. I can't imagine dealing with that on a fuller capacity big ship.

I could definitely see tension arising over unvaccinated passengers not wearing masks when they are supposed to. I saw no evidence that staff will even gently remind kids to pull their masks up. That's one thing when there are less than 100 kids on board, could get ugly on a more crowded ship.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, SireDoime said:

😟 When I read this article about RC's decision to semi-segregate vaxxed passengers from unvaxxed passengers (https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6245/),  I was reminded of the discrimination of HIV+ vs HIV- people. While, it is a far reach, this seems like it will cause tension on the ship between the  passengers; with the unvaxxed having to wear wristbands identifying them as unvaxxed passengers.

While I have never been a fan of RC and have only sailed their Celebrity, I am genuinely concerned how this will effect the overall morale on the ship. Some are already saying that unvaxxed passengers are ruining the enjoyment of vaxxed passengers and vice versa.

Sigh, I hope this is very temporary, as it does not seem like a smart move. They should just do what other lines are doing: sail with only vaccinated passengers, and be done with it.

We'll see how it goes, as the article says...the story will change.

Peace.

Discrimination, LOL..try using a word that fits…like choices. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Aww but we can. We can all cruise w/ kids and unvaccinated peeps! And if you don't like that, you can always stay in home... or start your own cruiseline! See how that works? 

Sure you can, but it doesnt look like you will be doing much on your cruise. Sounds like fun ..... 

11 hours ago, RoyalC said:

The fact they want people to wear wristbands at all times is ridiculous and classless on a cruise. Save it for the waterpark. The leaders at RCL have been a joke during this whole thing.  How they got to their high positions I will never know. 

Wristbands aren't a fact yet, at least RC has said nothing about them, this blogger seems to be pushing them but no one else.  

I also haven't read that vaccinated adults would be restricted from vaccinated only locations even though they are traveling with unvaccinated kids that wouldn't go to those locations anyway but that is what is being said on this thread

On another note and nothing to do with you so please don't be offended,  Can one of the Drs respond to this?  In my limited general college education which was never focused on medicine.  I learned that Herd Immunity was to be able to surround vulnerable individuals with vaccinated individuals, thus protecting the vulnerable.  To separate vaccinated and unvaccinated is sort of defeating the purpose of herd immunity?  I don't know I am not knocking Royals protocols because I think there is still alot of fear in the vaccinated but just curious about the science.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Wristbands aren't a fact yet

The first ship out literally sails TODAY. Can we stop with the conjecture of if wristbands are or are not a thing, and just wait for later today when we learn if wristbands are issued?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You know what I don't understand?  I want to cruise again under normal conditions as much as much as anyone.  I also don't have any young children.  Covid is still out there and children will catch it.  Sure most kids won't get seriously ill but some will.  I don't understand why anyone wants to take that risk with their children.  If I had a young child we wouldn't cruise as a family until everyone could get vaccinated or Covid fades into the sunset.  Just my opinion.  I don't understand Royal's approach.

I couldn't agree more.  I just could not risk my child's health so that I could resume the vacation I wanted.  There are many other vacations that can be taken which are safer.  I guess some people fee the risk is worth the reward.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ajm said:

I couldn't agree more.  I just could not risk my child's health so that I could resume the vacation I wanted.  There are many other vacations that can be taken which are safer.  I guess some people fee the risk is worth the reward.

I would have cancelled my Royal Caribbean cruise with our 6 year old. I was not about to lose my deposit (they said no refund) and already paid amount. They also said I had to use the credit within 12 months. With Royal only having a single ship on the west coast, and another Carnival cruise already booked next year, I don't have enough time off to take another cruise until late 2023 at this point. It's not just our cruise, but we have other groups going with us (my side of the family) who won't cruise without us (they go on on 30+ day cruises all the time, they are only going with us because we do a family trip every couple years). 

However, they won't budge until they "roll out rules for our specific cruise" which isn't likely for a couple months. I have no intention of losing out on the amount of $ I already paid (which is more than the deposit but less than the final payment). I will see what happens in 3 months. If the vaccine becomes available she will get the shot day 1. I will see how things are before we go, but the schools have 0 issues here having them return with no masks in August, so going on a cruise with a mask for her would be no different than going many places today...

Edited by JMKreno
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JMKreno said:

I would have cancelled my Royal Caribbean cruise with our 6 year old. I was not about to lose my deposit (they said no refund). They also said I had to use the credit within 12 months. With Royal only having a single ship on the west coast, and another Carnival cruise already booked next year, I don't have enough time off to take another cruise until late 2023 at this point. It's not just our cruise, but we have other groups going with us (my side of the family) who won't cruise without us (they go on on 30+ day cruises all the time, they are only going with us because we do a family trip every couple years). 

However, they won't budge until they "roll out rules for our specific cruise" which isn't likely for a couple months. I have no intention of losing out on the amount of $ I already paid (which is more than the deposit but less than the final payment). I will see what happens in 3 months. If the vaccine becomes available she will get the shot day 1. I will see how things are before we go, but the schools have 0 issues here having them return with no masks in August, so going on a cruise with a mask for her would be no different than going many places today...

Yeah.... that's tough.  Risk vs reward.  I hope things work out for you.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jrapps said:

The first ship out literally sails TODAY. Can we stop with the conjecture of if wristbands are or are not a thing, and just wait for later today when we learn if wristbands are issued?

Perfectly said.  We will know in an hour or so if that is a real policy or not.

1 hour ago, mauraoel said:

Wristbands aren't a fact yet, at least RC has said nothing about them, this blogger seems to be pushing them but no one else. 

It was mentioned in the weekly meeting that RCCL hosts with travel agents.  We will know if it is fact in the next hour or so as people board the Freedom today.

4 hours ago, shutterbug63 said:

with the unvaxxed having to wear wristbands identifying them as unvaxxed passengers.

Actually, the vaccinated passengers get wristbands - the unvaccinated get hair shirts.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ajm said:

Yeah.... that's tough.  Risk vs reward.  I hope things work out for you.  

I appreciate the thought. Though I am not really seeking sympathy more just explaining my rationale. It's been a LONG year for us (and all of us). My wife is an RN who worked Covid floors on many occasions, she is burned out, so much so that she is now Per Diem only (went from full-time, to part-time, to 3 days a month) and looking to get out of nursing altogether (a lot of it is also getting basically "spit" in the face by so many people telling her how "Covid isn't real and she is just part of the conspiracy"  yet she sat there, day in and day out, having the worse year of her nursing career and on her emotions seeing so many people die on her floor). I got furloughed and then had to find a new role in a completely different industry (but nothing compared to my wife, but still difficult in any year, let alone this year). Kids in full-time home learning.  Some immediate family affected by Covid, who were the bill of health any other year, so giving us that scare. A local acquaintance who passed away from Covid. So, Covid is very real to OUR family. More death and disease in 2020 than in my previous 40 years of existence....I am ready for a cruise as that is the only form of travel that I have been able to relax and enjoy myself (that includes AIs, road trips, resorts, etc). I just get frustrated that taking my young child who HAS NO OPTION AT ALL is compared to ADULTS WHO HAVE FULL CONTROL OF THEIR CHOICES is perceived as the same thing...

Edited by JMKreno
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, JMKreno said:

However, they won't budge until they "roll out rules for our specific cruise" which isn't likely for a couple months. I have no intention of losing out on the amount of $ I already paid (which is more than the deposit but less than the final payment). I will see what happens in 3 months. 

So it's not that they refused to give you the refund(s), but waiting for the protocols for your specific cruise and if you object, then a refund would be due.

My kid has been masking in public and at school for quite awhile and still does it when we go out. She can handle the cruise ship limitations for a week. They aren't any worse than any other restrictions we've dealt with. Kids are far more adaptable than adults.

Right now it seems the only whole party limitations are on shore excursions and certain venues when together on the ship.

We're also in Star Class on our cruise in August, so we're already in our own little bubble for the most part.

Edited by nolesrule
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

I don't understand the parents's approach either. While the child who contracts Covid will most likely not be seriously ill- your entire party is sent home/quarantined. And there is a small chance if the child becoming seriously ill while at sea. I am perplexed , especially when there are other alternatives.

it is my understanding that the unvaxxed adults and kids have to take a test before sailing and it has to be negative. If everyone has a negative test prior to sailing, and the rest of the people are vaxxed, chances of covid contraction are very small.

I think my kid may have a greater chance of getting Covid at school in person.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

It was mentioned in the weekly meeting that RCCL hosts with travel agents.  We will know if it is fact in the next hour or so as people board the Freedom today.

This is the first time it has been said that it was mention on a travel agent meeting.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

it is my understanding that the unvaxxed adults and kids have to take a test before sailing and it has to be negative. If everyone has a negative test prior to sailing, and the rest of the people are vaxxed, chances of covid contraction are very small.

wanted to elaborate on the school thing:

None of the kids at school are vaxxed, and there is no way to tell which teachers/staff are. No tests are required to enter the school. Only 38% of people in my state are vaxxed. Schools open in a month, all in person, no remote option, and no word on mask wearing. My kid will be masked, and so will be his BFF (our bubble) until they get vaccinated.

P.S. I lost 2 family members to Covid, and I am taking it seriously.

P.P.S. Our cruise is in November. We still have time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

wanted to elaborate on the school thing:

None of the kids at school are vaxxed, and there is no way to tell which teachers/staff are. No tests are required to enter the school. Only 38% of people in my state are vaxxed. Schools open in a month, all in person, no remote option, and no word on mask wearing. My kid will be masked, and so will be his BFF (our bubble) until they get vaccinated.

P.S. I lost 2 family members to Covid, and I am taking it seriously.

P.P.S. Our cruise is in November. We still have time.

Same. We sail Thanksgiving. Fingers crossed that we'll be able to get the kids vaccinated before that set sail.

18 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

We had two on Adventure last week. Negative on arrival, maybe picked it up en route to Nassau, hard to know for sure. The good thing for RC is that by the time these two tested positive, it was likely too early for anyone they had been in contact with on the ship to test positive. So we all carried on and went home. Maybe their unvaxxed new friends on the ship would test positive now. 

I agree your unvaxxed child would have a greater chance of getting Covid at school than on a ship of vaxxed passengers. The higher percentage of unvaxxed on a ship may change that though.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JMKreno said:

I appreciate the thought. Though I am not really seeking sympathy more just explaining my rationale. It's been a LONG year for us (and all of us). My wife is an RN who worked Covid floors on many occasions, she is burned out, so much so that she is now Per Diem only (went from full-time, to part-time, to 3 days a month) and looking to get out of nursing altogether (a lot of it is also getting basically "spit" in the face by so many people telling her how "Covid isn't real and she is just part of the conspiracy"  yet she sat there, day in and day out, having the worse year of her nursing career and on her emotions seeing so many people die on her floor). I got furloughed and then had to find a new role in a completely different industry (but nothing compared to my wife, but still difficult in any year, let alone this year). Kids in full-time home learning.  Some immediate family affected by Covid, who were the bill of health any other year, so giving us that scare. A local acquaintance who passed away from Covid. So, Covid is very real to OUR family. More death and disease in 2020 than in my previous 40 years of existence....I am ready for a cruise as that is the only form of travel that I have been able to relax and enjoy myself (that includes AIs, road trips, resorts, etc). I just get frustrated that taking my young child who HAS NO OPTION AT ALL is compared to ADULTS WHO HAVE FULL CONTROL OF THEIR CHOICES is perceived as the same thing...

I so agree with this. I hope you and your family get the rest and cruise you deserve. My wife and i haveworked all though the pandemic in the UK. Daughter hasnt missed a day of school when its been open for key workers. Havent seen our parents for over a year and feel just as burnt out. Granted we do not work for the NHS, (military and food store) but have had to pick up work from others and deal with anti covid idiots.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your cruise my friend

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

I can say after the announcement was made on Adventure last week that two kids tested positive that I had a heightened awareness of the presence of kids. There really weren't many, but when I saw them on the Royal Promenade unmasked, I gave them a lot of space. If they got on my elevator, I quietly got off. I'm not a scene maker so it was just easier to let them have it and wait for the next one. That was on a ship 92% vaccinated adults/8% children, with only 900 or so passengers. I can't imagine dealing with that on a fuller capacity big ship.

I could definitely see tension arising over unvaccinated passengers not wearing masks when they are supposed to. I saw no evidence that staff will even gently remind kids to pull their masks up. That's one thing when there are less than 100 kids on board, could get ugly on a more crowded ship.

Again, kids were teenagers. Kids under 12 are a very different category but no one seems to differentiate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

So it's not that they refused to give you the refund(s), but waiting for the protocols for your specific cruise and if you object, then a refund would be due.

This is correct and I am not complaining, per se. I don't knock them, that is the risk I take. I basically am upfronting all of my money assuming a few scenarios:

1) Everything goes without issue (hoping) and we have a great cruise. Lots of PROS here and thus carrying the most weight: Never been on RCCL, Never been on an Oasis class ship, got a SCREAMING deal because of all the covid pricing and L&S, need a real vacation from this world, youngest is now old enough to actually WANT to go to the kids club (hoping that all goes to plan) so we would actually get our 1st cruise in 15 years where we actually might get mommy/daddy time (our oldest only started going to kids club after our youngest was born..so no breaks!)....get my money worth

• 1a) Vaccines are approved for under 12 by September, and we get her the initial shot and at least she has more protection
  • 1b) vaccines are approved even earlier and she is fully vaxxed by October

2) They announce protocols that aren't a good fit for our youngest, we get a full refund. However, this likely won't happen until very close to the sailing and we scramble to find a replacement trip (I already have the time off and can't move it), but I would have to outlay even MORE $$$ for another trip (flights from Reno aren't cheap...).

3) They cancel the cruise for some reason and we: a) get a refund, b) l&s to next year....

So....all in all none of those scenarios is BAD, just hate outlying thousands of $$$$ (I need to book airfare and other items, too)...but this is the gamble I take for the vacation I love!!

Edited by JMKreno

14 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

If it means distinguishing me from unvaccinated I’ll do it in a heartbeat.

If it means I don't have protocols to follow that the unvaxxed do, then I'm all for it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

Sure you can, but it doesnt look like you will be doing much on your cruise. Sounds like fun ..... 

Well if you look closer, you'll see that those restricted spots are places that kids can't go or shouldn't go. So at night when little Johnny & Sally are hanging at kids r us, you'll be hanging w/ the Mommys & Daddys. Isn't this fun!  

• Haha 1