Definitive email from Princess

Sea Hag

Got this email from Princess. That's pretty clear on the free internet minutes. It's funny where they say the part about hoping I enjoy the updates to my perks because I deserve them. I don't see this as a gain for me.

Dear Alice,

Your loyalty means the world to us. To show our thanks we've made sure your Platinum member benefits reflect our latest offerings, including Dine My WaySM reservations and MedallionNet® Wi-Fi. We hope you enjoy these updates to your perks — because you deserve it.

What's new?

• exclusive, early access to Dine My Way reservations (ability to make them before final payment!)
  • 10% off Lotus Spa® treatments
  • 10% off Photo Gallery offerings

Discounts will be applied on board.

What's changing?

You’ll get a 50% discount on unlimited, premium Wi-Fi with MedallionNet. Enjoy the best Wi-Fi at sea (also included with PrincessPlus) instead of limited, free internet minutes. (No need to worry about logging on or off anymore!)

You'll notice a lot less paper. We're moving to electronic invites and announcements as part of our health protocols and commitment to protecting the environment.

Our return to service

As part of our commitment to safe sailing, some loyalty events and offerings may be updated.

We appreciate all the cruises you’ve taken with us over the years and look forward to sailing with you on another adventure soon!

We  just got the Elite letter.In it it says "We no longer will offer on board credit for cruises taken".

Next sentence. We appreciate your loyalty---------etc.

For us with over 75 cruises taken we were getting $100 on board credit. To refresh peoples memory it started at 21 st cruise with $25.00 and went up as you cruised more till the max of $100.

This was very significant loss especially when we did B2B

So talk about losing benefits. No longer free internet and losing OBC. Nice Princess.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Got this email from Princess. That's pretty clear on the free internet minutes. It's funny where they say the part about hoping I enjoy the updates to my perks because I deserve them. I don't see this as a gain for me.

I  just got the same email and totally agree with Sea Hag. Princess isn't alone in reducing the value of loyalty points. I'll continue to cruise based on itinerary and price as I have for years and it may or may not be Princess. 

1 minute ago, san diego sue said:

We  just got the Elite letter.In it it says "We no longer will offer on board credit for cruises taken".

For us with over 75 cruises taken we were getting $100 on board credit. To refresh peoples memory it started at 21 st cruise with $25.00 and went up as you cruised more till the max of $100.

So talk about losing benefits. No longer free internet and losing OBC. Nice Princess.

What they took away from you is a lot worse than what they took away from me. After all the cruises you went on, they shouldn't have done that.

3 minutes ago, helby said:

I'll continue to cruise based on itinerary and price as I have for years and it may or may not be Princess. 

Agreed on that. When I run the math for a Princess cruise and another cruise line's similar cruise, Princess will have lost a weighting factor.

• Like 4

What a weird thing to take away. It can't have really cost Princess all that much. Not all that many people have enough cruises to get much of a benefit and even those who do have a ton of cruises only got $100. 

OBC for Loyalty

21 - 31 cruise credits $25 onboard cabin credit
32 - 41 cruise credits $50 onboard cabin credit
42 - 51 cruise credits $75 onboard cabin credit
52+ cruise credits $100 onboard cabin credit

• Like 7

When we cruise other lines, I always just paid for internet minutes and considered it the cost of cruising. However for me the biggest loss is those loyalty OBC. I still prefer Princess as a cruise line and that is where I always have cruise buddies sailing with us. Even when my husband and I sail by ourselves, there are always people we know from previous cruises on board and that is what makes it so special. Of course Cruise Critic is responsible for most of the friendships we have made over the years via the roll call, and later the M&G on board.Seems to me that the Princess board has the most friendly group of people posting and sailing. I am so used to everyone probably will just continue our cruising on board Princess. This is just such  disappointment.

In our letter it also said for safety, loyalty events will also be affected.I assume but can be wrong that large groups because of Covid 19 will be the reason. No mention as to what and I don't want to speculate until we actually know.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Two major perks for us.   Makes me think why we are still with Princess.    Those perks kept us coming back.   Maybe not so much any more.   

• Like 5

Replacing the internet loyalty package with a 50% discount on a $9.99/day/device cost is a major loss for us.  We usually manage our internet within the previous benefit, even using multiple devices, so it looks like we are paying a penalty for people who like to stream all sorts of stuff.  Not a plus.

Loss of the loyalty credit doesn't help either.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

Got our email today also.

We became Elite  with days on board vs number of cruises.  I never knew there was OBC for that!  Can’t miss what I didn’t know. LOL. 

Still wish they would let us know what Medallion internet will cost so we can determine what 50% off will be!!

I still like Princess atmosphere on board and ship designs.  😀

• Like 2

We sail on multiple lines based upon the value of the particular cruise.  For it it just means that Princess cruises have gotten a little more expensive in comparison to other cruise lines.  Not much though more though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, san diego sue said:

This is what I am most sad about!  They haven't given me anything I will use and they have taken away my loyalty OBC.   So much for loyalty I guess.  I've been super loyal to Princess over the years but this might have just changed things. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Thrak said:

What a weird thing to take away. It can't have really cost Princess all that much. Not all that many people have enough cruises to get much of a benefit and even those who do have a ton of cruises only got $100. 

OBC for Loyalty

21 - 31 cruise credits $25 onboard cabin credit
32 - 41 cruise credits $50 onboard cabin credit
42 - 51 cruise credits $75 onboard cabin credit
52+ cruise credits $100 onboard cabin credit

IDK the numbers, but seems to be plenty here on CC - which is probably heavy with long-time Princess guests. 

I do wonder if they won't bring this back in some form in the future once back on their feet and making money.  CCL discontinued dividends on stock holdings for the time being and we can expect those to return some day.  IDK when we might have achieved the 21 cruise level - I guess not long from now including 4 in Fall 2022.  

I care less about them cutting back due to the Covid financial mess than I do about them executing on promises and having application software that works and delivers as expected.  I care more about hoops that other customers who are not tech-savvy seem to have to go through in order to cruise compared to anecdotes for other cruise lines.  I care about the brand quality and it's perception in the market than another $25 in OBC. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, waltd said:

Two major perks for us.   Makes me think why we are still with Princess.    Those perks kept us coming back.   Maybe not so much any more.   

Some people put a high value on the perks.  I like them too.  I also like that they have always been quite generous with BYOW on board for very reasonable cost (I know it is going up to $20/btl now). 

But we like the value proposition for what we get as a cruise experience for the dollars paid and the crew is always top notch in terms of friendly service.  It just feels comfortable and familiar to be on Princess and despite some cutbacks, I see a net benefit for us (to each their own) with the 50% off internet packages.  I know CCL has stopped dividends for now due to Covid pauses.  When that returns, perhaps we will see some other benefits return such as the loyalty OBC many are losing.  You never know, but one thing for sure is that never again is rarely never.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gretchendz said:

I suspect that on the internet they are making the calculation that people will go to the Princess Plus plan. I am not thrilled either, but at least they kept the free laundry for elites 🙂

Mmmm…..one does wonder how long the free laundry will last. To lose that perk would be a big drawback for me! 😟

• Like 2

Losing the loyalty OBC is very disappointing to me.  I'm wondering if the "loyalty events" they are referring to are the Captain Circle Cocktail parties and also the MT luncheon or MT cocktail party.  I think they are shooting themselves in the foot by targeting their most loyal guests.  Not to mention that we had to go out and buy a new phone to accommodate their app which is necessary to do everything.  Not very happy with Princess. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, waltd said:

I respect your thoughts here.  But I then ask where would you go and is the product better?  It's like boycotting something.  There are many reasons why you used/purchased something.  If something minor changes, is it enough to no longer make that purchase?  Most times it ends up costing the consumer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK the numbers, but seems to be plenty here on CC - which is probably heavy with long-time Princess guests. 

I do wonder if they won't bring this back in some form in the future once back on their feet and making money.  CCL discontinued dividends on stock holdings for the time being and we can expect those to return some day.  IDK when we might have achieved the 21 cruise level - I guess not long from now including 4 in Fall 2022.  

I care less about them cutting back due to the Covid financial mess than I do about them executing on promises and having application software that works and delivers as expected.  I care more about hoops that other customers who are not tech-savvy seem to have to go through in order to cruise compared to anecdotes for other cruise lines.  I care about the brand quality and it's perception in the market than another $25 in OBC. 

I also understand why there are cutbacks and loss of benefits. What I don’t particularly like is when they try to make it look like the change is for YOUR benefit (fast unlimited internet which you are paying for now rather than getting free generous minutes for years). Many cruise lines need to tighten the purse strings. Taking perks away from loyal cruisers is not going to help them in the long run. 

• Like 2

Somewhere on this site, someone mentioned the demise of the Platinum/Elite lounge.   Yes, not many people participated as it was pay as you go, but for us it was a nice relaxing venue to wrap up the day before dinner.  
Internet minutes, loyalty credit  I can do without.  
Will not change our ability to travel.   Maybe there will be less I am entitled people on board.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

I respect your thoughts here.  But I then ask where would you go and is the product better?  It's like boycotting something.  There are many reasons why you used/purchased something.  If something minor changes, is it enough to no longer make that purchase?  Most times it ends up costing the consumer.

I'm not sure how it costs the consumer but I'm sure the loss of very loyal customers is not a smart decision . I'm not talking about myself having absolutely no brand loyalty but recognize that there are fiercely loyal Princess cruisers . Taking away perks that cost little but are greatly valued isn't a wise decision . As has been said , it's much cheaper to keep an existing client then to attract a new one .

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Somewhere on this site, someone mentioned the demise of the Platinum/Elite lounge.   Yes, not many people participated as it was pay as you go, but for us it was a nice relaxing venue to wrap up the day before dinner.  
Internet minutes, loyalty credit  I can do without.  
Will not change our ability to travel.   Maybe there will be less I am entitled people on board.  

The Platinum/Elite Lounge is still shown as a benefit in the link attached to the email. 

@Sea Hag, thanks for sharing your email. I'm Still waiting to see if DH or I get the email. I am the one that qualifies for the loyalty benefit. It wasn't much, I'm OK without it, but for those who get top level $$ for loyalty, it's sucks. 

The internet minutes don't bother me, we book Princess Plus, but I'm curious as to the One device thing. I'd want it to be my computer, not my phone. 

Count me in as someone who likes the Elite/Platinum lounge. We'd go on tartar night.

I'm glad they didn't eliminate the laundry benefit.  

I'm annoyed by the loss of priority boarding. 

In the end, I'm still super excited to cruise again soon!!