Does the majority of CC users sail in suites ?

Smmessineo

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Try the Crown Loft suites on RC Oasis-class ships.  About the same price as the GS.  We loved the Crown Loft.

We sailed in a Crown Loft in 2018 and have another booked for September, if the Oasis ends up sailing out of Bayonne. We really liked the location, adjacent to the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen. 

A toss up as to whether we like the CL or GS better. Usually comes down to price and we have found the GS cheaper most (but not all) of the time. 

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We did not like the Crown Loft when we sailed on Alure.  

The balcony overlooks the basketball courts, wave rider, and the rope line. 

Also we found that the bathroom on the 2nd floor was smaller than the normal bathroom and ended up having some stuff in one and other stuff in the other and going back and forth between the to.  A lot of going up and down stairs.  

We only book the Crown Lofts that overlook the ocean. We don't want to see the basketball court or mini golf. I want to see the water. 

• Like 2

Here's my issue. For all of our working life we have been fiscally responsible. Doing and purchasing what we wanted when we could afford it - usually paid with cash. Have sailed mostly on inside, and outside and an occasional balcony. Now that we are both retired and have the money to sail anyway we like, I'm having a hard time letting go of the purse strings. Just an adjustment issue on my end. Have enjoyed nearly every cruise we've been on and feel no need to put the money into suites. I will do balconies more often at this point though.

• Like 3

I agree with the others that it's a skewed perception.  In addition to the factors some have mentioned, I expect it's also a matter of those in suites talking more about being in a suite.  I don't mean that they are bragging, but the perks and other features are something to talk about when talking about the cruise experience.  It's not like you'd say "I went back to the room and didn't see our butler because there wasn't one because we weren't staying in a suite."

We pretty much sail in suites, these days.  We've spoiled ourselves.  My first cruise was our honeymoon.  We didn't have a balcony (because it was the Monarch of the Seas, and she only had balconies for a few, much more expensive rooms).  That's how we did it for the longest time--just an "oceanview" room (or whatever it was called).  When we started taking out kids cruising, we would be either in a family oceanview or in two adjoining rooms. 

We moved up to a suite when, while planning a cruise with our kids, I did a little arithmetic and noticed that the two adjoining rooms were a little more expensive than a Grand Suite (RCCL).  Well, that did it.  We got spoiled on suites.  In fact, I'm about to take my first Celebrity cruise as a solo in a suite (DW is doing her own girls' trip).  I actually expect that I'll very much enjoy the benefits, especially the butler.  It'll be nice to have someone to handle certain matters (DW and I often would split duties of running for coffee or bringing a bite back to the room or whatever).

All that said, we did a 4&5 night B2B in an oceanview room in 2017, and we had a ball.  We missed the room and the perks of a suite--no doubt about that--but it also was nice to know that we don't need the perks or the room as much as we just enjoy them.

• Like 1

Never have I ever .... I would if I could but don't see it ever happening.  Typically balcony and couple cruises inside cabin and I have been totally happy with that.

I totally understand why you ask as I sometimes get that impression from the many posting about suites but don't be deceived as there are many out here not sailing that way.

I absolutely need the fresh air.

Only done a JS when we received a FCC for a lousy cruise and needed to use it quickly....

Lately, I'm booking balconies and watch the concierge's rates. I've been able to upgrade for free a couple of times, like the location of concierge cabins.

AQ have no appeal to me.

On 7/5/2021 at 9:41 AM, Smmessineo said:

I am a long time reader here and since I came back to Cruise Critic and cruising after a pandemic break, it seems like half the posts are about suites, or written by those who sail in suites.

I've often had the same impression! There does seem to be a disproportionate number of such posts, at least relative to the percentage of suites on a typical ship. But I think it's at least partly that some people who book higher-tier staterooms also cruise frequently, and so are familiar with more ships and itineraries than the average participant, and thus have more occasion to post.

Another post mentioned not seeing the same effect in (I think) the NCL or Princess forums. As someone who has cruised more on NCL than on any other cruise line, I can testify that posts in the NCL forum are disproportionately about the Haven, NCL's suite class.

• Like 1

Something to consider is the sailing as well. If it’s a 7 night cruise to the Caribbean people may not always splurge for a suite. But I know people who have planned huge trips that may have a few more sea days, like for example Transatlantic crossings or say the Apex’s Baltic’s cruise which is 12 nights with 4at sea, who would splurge for a suite then. Though does one time really make someone a suite cruiser?

I think it all depends on cruise itinerary, ship, and prices personally for me. I’ve cruised suites and aqua - and I love both. But I’d be up for trying other staterooms depending on what’s available on board (restaurants etc). I don’t think for me it’s “once a suite always a suite” however some of the perks of a suite (as in aqua) are enjoyable!

I guess for many the perks are what make people book (and talk about) certain categories  - I’ve never gone concierge but lots of people on here discuss that category also due to the embarkation day lunch. 

6 hours ago, CocoCronut said:

I’ve never gone concierge but lots of people on here discuss that category also due to the embarkation day lunch. 

From Pinboy's experience----

The embarkation day lunch is not worth anything-- nothing special at all. You can enjoy a nice lunch at the Spa Cafe instead of the " Slugfest on 14 " ( Oceanview restaurant ). 

As for the Concierge service--- the hours are limited , the lines are long---- easier to make Specialty restaurant reservations on your own and often you will be offered a discount -- 

Go Habs Go !!!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, vswan said:

Here's my issue. For all of our working life we have been fiscally responsible. Doing and purchasing what we wanted when we could afford it - usually paid with cash. Have sailed mostly on inside, and outside and an occasional balcony. Now that we are both retired and have the money to sail anyway we like, I'm having a hard time letting go of the purse strings. Just an adjustment issue on my end. Have enjoyed nearly every cruise we've been on and feel no need to put the money into suites. I will do balconies more often at this point though.

Oh just go for it once and see what happens!😀

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Or give huge kudos to LLP and Kelly Hoppen for the amazing design of the e-class ships

Honestly I like the design.  But the damn😀 furniture is uncomfortable!

• Like 3

On 7/6/2021 at 9:54 AM, Bo1953 said:

j - I have to slowly get deiced to jump over Concierge and Aqua categories (only regular balconies currently) because I know once we hit that suite there is no way I will be permitted to return to a balcony cabin!!! LOL

bon voyage

And this is one reason we haven't done a suite... well we once did a jr suite on NCL... but I know that once we tried it..there would likely be no going back. My first 'cruise' was in the mid '60s... actually a transatlantic crossing with my parents.. I believe we had a porthole... but just remember being sick most of the trip. My husband and my first cruise..was again on an ocean liner, the Constitution..an old ship that sailed around Hawaii back in the 90s.. again OV... and we did that and inside cabins... My logic was that we spent so little time in our cabin..  But then we tried a balcony and while I was willing to go back to inside..it was harder... on our NCL cruise.. we had a jr suite.. this ship had a large bathroom with a tub. This was the cruise that we both got the dreaded Noro virus... days apart..impacting most of the cruise. I gained a whole new appreciation for a balcony during what ended up being about 4 days in quarantine.. and the tub ended up with all the dirty sheets and towels... We have not gone back to inside or OV cabins...although we have managed to avoid the suite..    DH has mobility issues... so I prefer to stay near the aft elevators on deck 6. So should his scooter fail him (as it has done in the past)... his walking distance is reduced.

Bo were you in the Edge Easter Caribbean inaugural sailing? I think we met during the tour of cabins...

Edited by kearney
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

From Pinboy's experience----

The embarkation day lunch is not worth anything-- nothing special at all. You can enjoy a nice lunch at the Spa Cafe instead of the " Slugfest on 14 " ( Oceanview restaurant ). 

As for the Concierge service--- the hours are limited , the lines are long---- easier to make Specialty restaurant reservations on your own and often you will be offered a discount -- 

Pinboy's correct on this one.  Hockey reference deleted. 😉

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kearney said:

And this is one reason we haven't done a suite... well we once did a jr suite on NCL... but I know that once we tried it..there would likely be no going back. My first 'cruise' was in the mid '60s... actually a transatlantic crossing with my parents.. I believe we had a porthole... but just remember being sick most of the trip. My husband and my first cruise..was again on an ocean liner, the Constitution..an old ship that sailed around Hawaii back in the 90s.. again OV... and we did that and inside cabins... My logic was that we spent so little time in our cabin..  But then we tried a balcony and while I was willing to go back to inside..it was harder... on our NCL cruise.. we had a jr suite.. this ship had a large bathroom with a tub. This was the cruise that we both got the dreaded Noro virus... days apart..impacting most of the cruise. I gained a whole new appreciation for a balcony during what ended up being about 4 days in quarantine.. and the tub ended up with all the dirty sheets and towels... We have not gone back to inside or OV cabins...although we have managed to avoid the suite..    DH has mobility issues... so I prefer to stay near the aft elevators on deck 6. So should his scooter fail him (as it has done in the past)... his walking distance is reduced.

Bo were you in the Edge Easter Caribbean inaugural sailing? I think we met during the tour of cabins...

k - Thank you for your perspective, quite similar to mine, although my spouse is the one who would not let me go back to balconies... LOL

While I Am the one who uses the balcony the most, I did once suggest we try an Oceanview cabin and the words were terse, otherwise hell no and hell never...LOL If we could not have a balcony then there would be no cruise to take....

As such, were I to jump over AQ and Concierge for even the most basic of suites on X, there would be no going back... LOL, more hell no and hell never... then I would be relegated to spend time with Hades on the sailing!!!

I was on The Edge for its' first Thanksgiving sailing in the W. Caribbean.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I would say only ten percent at most of CC passengers do suites , we now book only suites but did not do suites for first 50 or so cruises, we try to have a small gathering in our suite for other CC who are interested on how they look. 

57 minutes ago, George C said:

I would say only ten percent at most of CC passengers do suites , we now book only suites but did not do suites for first 50 or so cruises, we try to have a small gathering in our suite for other CC who are interested on how they look. 

That is a good estimate.  Taking EDGE as an example (which has more suites than other Celebrity ships) there are 1467 total staterooms.  About 10% of those are suites, predominately the Sky Suites.

Edge_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Both of us work full-time and are able to get away once/year for a vacation so we treat ourselves to a suite.  We love the Sky Suites on Celebrity, especially now with the Retreat as a perk on the Edge class ships.

On 7/5/2021 at 6:41 AM, Smmessineo said:

I am a long time reader here and since I came back to Cruise Critic and cruising after a pandemic break, it seems like half the posts are about suites, or written by those who sail in suites. I'm guessing this is an example of Bader-Meinhof phenomenon ( seeing something everywhere). But is there some truth to it? Does the average CC member lean towards suite occupancy?

This is just me pondering ....I am not anti-suite !  Due to the way we spend our time on a cruise, a suite would have little value for us.  But I definitely see its allure to other people .

We are 50% suite, 50% concierge class. It all depends on the deal that I can get while booking the cruise. We are going to try our first Ocean view cabin in September on the Equinox, it is a front facing larger cabin. In general, I have a price I am willing to pay per day for the cruise, if a suite fits that price point I will book it.

We have 50+ cruises under our belts. We have cruised in a inside cabin to a sky suite. We were to do our 1st Celebrity suite, but Covid came along. We have mostly booked sky suites for the past 4 years. The main reason we book SS is for Luminae and being able to order off the MDR menu. Did not like Luminae on the E class ships. So if we book Edge class it wont be a suite. Blu is fine, but to much game birds. I see quail on the menu and think of the quail I saw in my backyard.

I stated using CC in 2009. We started cruising before 2001 with Celebrity.