The Daily for Wednesday Jul 14, 2021

richwmn

Today is Bastille Day, Pandemonium Day, and National Macaroni and Cheese Day

Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we'll find it. - Sam Levenson

Meal suggestion for today - Vegetarian Enchiladas

Drink of the Day - Grog

Wine of the day - Chateau Ste Michelle Chardonnay Canoe Ridge Estate - Washington - White

Destination of the Day - Taiohae Nuku Hiva French Polynesia

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination Long Beach eta 7/15

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Port Everglades
Nieuw Statendam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Seattle
Nieuw Amsterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0714World.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Hump Day.

It's supposed to be hot and humid here today, with a chance of showers.

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good, but I think I'm going to make spareribs and pasta salad.   Not sure about the drink of the day, but the wine should be good.

I've never been to Polynesia so I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 21

Thank you for the Bastille Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the Pandemonium and Mac and Cheese was yesterday.  Love the Levenson quote.  Looks like Nieuw Statendam will be anchoring off Everglades rather than entering but should be visible on one of the beach cams at times and Nieuw Amsterdam is very much on the home stretch.  I've been to Nuka Hiva but always on Crystal.  I'll pass on the enchiladas.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit with Peach Schnapps, and Roasted Duck with Sour Cherry Chutney as served on MS Rotterdam (VI) Bastille Day 10 years ago.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
Marmot@sea’s cousin 4km from wildfire
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
Scout Jamie C in hospital for major surgery
Marmot@sea’s cousin close to wildfire
bennybear DD(shingles) and DSIL(Infection)
wandb’s sister in surgery

From the rotation:
wandb sister-finished with aggressive ovarian cancer treatments
Sharon’s mother recovering from surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Allen
Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
CatShepard in Iceland
Pope Francis out of hospital
Lindaler visit from DD and Grands
Schiedyk oil leak contained
Group breakfast for Ger_77
Promising caregiver for an improving Sam
Cruising-along Grandson’s cast off
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the daily report and good morning everyone.  Happy Bastille Day, here’s hoping there is no pandemonium today.  Mac & cheese can be delicious but I usually avoid it.  Today’s quote is quite true.  The enchiladas sound delicious.  Never having been to today’s port I eagerly anticipate the photos.  Prayers to all on our prayer list and hats off to everyone celebrating a happy event today!

• Like 20

After today a but one of my remainingJuly sunrises will be taken on the actual day.  Today's is a sunset and was taken July 25, 2007 while on my 2007 upper Amazon cruise on La Amatista.

IMG_0033.JPG.d98e309b419c3ef9b68a63a37a3

Roy

• Like 27

Good morning, everyone.   

We are supposed to get a bit of a respite from the rain today and tomorrow.  That's good because I really want to get my closet doors painted and I need to hose them down in the driveway to clean them.  They are metal bifold doors that go from floor to ceiling, so expensive and hard to replace.  I found they can easily be refreshed with a coat of paint.  I use spray paint because it goes on more evenly.  And, it is quicker.   I just need a no rain day to do this.  

I'll celebrate Bastille Day, but please no pandemonium.   I'll pass on the mac and cheese because of the carbs.  I did find some low carb tortillas yesterday, so tonight the menu is fish tacos with a soft shell.  

Today's meal sounds good and I could make it with the low carb tortillas.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/vegetarian-enchiladas-3364279

861245489_Vegetarianenchiladas.jpeg.5405b1495a8e7dbbd31b5c18d5724edc.jpeg

Wishing everyone a safe and wonderful day!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Will celebrate Bastille and Macaroni and Cheese Day.  No thank you to Pandemonium Day.  Will pass on the meal.  Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photo's.  I LOL'd at the Levenson quote.

Prayers for the care list.  A toast to the celebrations.  I'm off to a massage this afternoon, much needed for a persistant mild headache.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Found a lot of information about Grog this morning.

Grog:

Grog is any of a variety of alcoholic beverages. The word originally referred to rum diluted with water, which British Vice-Admiral Edward Vernon introduced into the naval squadron he commanded in the West Indies on 21 August 1740. Vernon wore a coat of grogram cloth and was nicknamed Old Grogram or Old Grog.
To make the original Don the Beachcomber Navy Grog, place in a cocktail shaker 3/4 ounce each fresh lime juice, white grapefruit juice, and club soda; 1 ounce each gold Demerara rum, dark Jamaican rum, and white Cuban or Puerto Rican rum; and 1 ounce honey mix (1:1 honey and water). Shake with ice, then strain into a glass with crushed ice (or ice formed into a cone around a straw). There are several variant recipes, however, and most of these use fresh lime juice and grapefruit juice along with the rums. Some, though, also add passionfruit juice, while others use guava juice or club soda water instead. Some recipes specify a sweetening agent of honey mixed with unsalted butter, while others use honey mixed with water.[3] Unlike other famous tiki cocktails such as the Zombie or Mai Tai, Navy Grog uses no exotically flavored syrups such as orgeat or falernum.
The Trader Vic’s Navy Grog is significantly different from Don the Beachcomber’s. Although Trader Vic’s Navy Grog Mix is no longer available for purchase, this recipe seems to duplicate it: Ideally, use a Trader Vic’s large Mai Tai glass (available for purchase on their website) and fill it about a quarter inch from the top with blender-crushed ice (a few larger pieces keep it colder). In a martini shaker, put one ounce each of light rum (recommended: Havana Club 3, Caña Brava, Cruzan), Gold rum (recommended: Appleton, Mount Gay), and 151 demerara rum (recommended: Lemon Hart) or dark rum (recommended: Myers’s), one ounce of freshly squeezed lime juice (or a bit more to taste), 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed (ideally white, but red works too) grapefruit juice, and a teaspoon (or a bit more to taste) of Allspice Dram (St. Elizabeth). Add simple syrup to taste, at least two teaspoons. Stir and pour over the ice. Add a generous sprig of mint, half of a partially squeezed lime, and a rock candy stick (available on Amazon). Enjoy...but no more than two. Best with Crab Rangoon and hot mustard sauce, spare ribs, egg rolls, etc.

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 7.28.15 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone!  Yesterday was a day spent at home just doing nothing.  Today I have to go out for my dental cleaning so will have to make myself presentable I guess.  😁

Happy Bastille Day, and I wouldn't mind some macaroni and cheese today, however we're making potato salad to use up some red potatoes in the pantry. Today's menu suggestion sounds good but don't mesh with potato salad so we will try to grill something, weather permitting.    No pandemonium please! 

Prayers to our friends and family who are on the care list.  The celebration list is longer than ever so hurray for those listed.  And a special happy birthday wish to Allen today.

We visited Nuku Hiva, French Polynesia on our 2017 Maasdam South Pacific cruise.  The Maasdam had a lot of problems with their tender operations on that cruise, taking up to 3 hours to get us all ashore due to using too few tenders or tender platform mechanical issues.  That day we lined up at a platform and were told we had to move to a forward platform and wait for a different tender.  Many unhappy passengers that day!  View from the ship at breakfast.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJrh5UxOETjfQbMb3h4O9v8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJwiq5MblWw6-HQKyAbVclz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Taiohae is a tiny village.  There were tours available using local 4 x 4's but not nearly enough to take a majority of the ship's passengers.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL_vAThvA26nMYt70cCwjv1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKyIV1Fw_Dr231HeSjhNOhz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIbfF4IK4y3btXopvSz_Pm7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This is a restaurant which had wi-fi but believe me not good enough to even load your email.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIflhnMhFOaY8kiLCgXvyfZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Entertainment for everyone.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2tugFBongYnro22bdLuO3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

A few of the trucks ready to take people on their tours.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLxjJ0BpfuH2ta9lGgYT-ON?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The remainder of the passengers decided to shop!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJCr7y7-KVlSO6wXMVkz0_w?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJg6xzSH09I68K9flws6Een?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Interesting carvings00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMghOYVuZTd9GnyHEZmzfY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This was the food market00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKIMl1FIzcMRIcvoxzEogRO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

But what we enjoyed was the view from shore.  It is really a lovely area.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLVs5NcGmQbwr6MopS7o1QV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKeXwBH-Ygx1Bpt0RJZRo3D?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKawZ0PHfSA8eAX41JqbRax?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLmBNDr0LJ8MLS7wUUdzQAZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIvJnx78qL8k_eZHATbeySD?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJhDaCvFwqw4uGrM4sfWNDJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

As we lined up to tender back to the ship we were met with these dancers.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJRv31qosrOOHUWftjYWRQv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

As we tendered away we saw this interesting scene on a hillside.  ((not real))00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKjrw16b8PFQzF5a6fgB6ij?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good  morning  everyone. Thanks  to  Rich  for  the  Daily  and  to  Roy  for  the  lists. Thanks  to  Jacqui  for  the  laughs  and  advice and  to  the  excellent  Food  and  Beverage  Department  as  well.

It  is  cloudy today  and  the  air  is  heavy  with  humidity. I  took  Fred  walking  before  the  crack  of  dawn  and  it  was  still  an  effort,especially  climbing  the  hills. Our  neighbor  adopted  a  German  Shepherd  rescue  dog  and  Fred  is  especially  vigilant  when  he  is  outdoors. They  have  yet  to  meet  in  person as  I  am  a  little  doubtful  about the  mans  ability  to  control  the  dog. It  looks  as  if  it  walks  him! As  I  am typing  he  has  raced  from  one  end  of  the  house  to  the  other  telling  the  dog  what  is  what. Oh  my.

I  will  celebrate  Bastille  Day  and  hope  France  avoids  the  expected  Pandemonium/demonstrations.

I  avoid  carbs  lately  and  like  Debbie  use  the  low  carb tortillas  to  make  enchiladas. This  would  be  a  big  hit  in  our  house  for  dinner  but  I  already  roasted  BBQ  chicken  and  just  need  to  make  rice  and  a  salad.

Miss  Camilla  continues  to  progress  but  the  Docs  feel  she  is  not  feeding  enough  on  her  own  to  go  home  yet. She  also  had  an  episode  of  a  lowered  heart  rate two  days  ago  which  was  cause  for  concern. The  hospital is  15  minutes  away  from  her  parents  and  they  are  there  every  day  with  her. My  great  nephew  returns  to  sea tomorrow  for  a  7  day  fishing  stint and  told  me  his  heart  is  aching  to  leave "his  girls". I  told  him  how  I  cried  for  the  first  two  weeks  of  dropping  my  son  at  daycare  when  I  returned  to  work  after  my  (ha  ha) lengthy  6  week maternity  leave. I  know   that  is  not  at  all  like  what   he  is  going  through but I  can  only  imagine.

I  have  been  to  French  Polynesia  only  in  my  dreams  so  I  certainly  look  forward  to  the  pictures.

Terry

• Like 25

Well I have been to the port of the day on our Maasdam French Polynesian cruise a couple of years ago. Fantastic cruise adventure.

Haven’t had to turn on our lawn sprinklers in two weeks. A shower or thunder storm a day is nice on the water bill!

Thanks for the report and contributions. Have a great day!

• Like 18

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and for our Hump Day smile 🙂 

Great collection of days except Pandemonium Day.  It’s been a year of pandemonia so I don’t think we need a day 😉 

Love the quote by Levenson and the meal sounds good.  I believe I’ve had the wine and if I’m right, it’s quite good.

A very happy birthday to Allen today!  🎂 

Nuku Hiva was one of the ports we were able to get to on our Hawaii, Tahiti & Marquesas cruise.  That cruise was plagued by bad weather, rough seas and inability to tender.  Fortunately Nuku Hiva was the exception with beautiful weather.

Nuku Hiva from the ship

65FAD08D-0F74-4C61-AFAC-4A0F962D749A.jpeg.5583950e6c319528af41a81880d3d546.jpeg

and from the tender

25415A08-A1BB-4259-BBE3-CD1511CC7D7D.jpeg.28618f5bc2ccad3f93964a184508e809.jpeg

Our guide took us up the mountain and we had some great views

7CF33542-7657-4820-B504-36D03E17C885.jpeg.92933ffab71a5fef88b32a454bba6e9d.jpeg

32F27CC8-4074-4277-AFF1-88CB2F84F1A8.jpeg.10654ae5b0f1d9ebc30c9d6d051e6951.jpeg

This valley is famous for Melville (author of Moby Dick) who lived here for 3 months.

9885993F-BDE5-4FF4-A0CF-F4D8AAD6E3AF.jpeg.29058243efb87e5a9d78c16314996dd5.jpeg

Remember the show Survivor - Marquesas?  The location for the challenge.  

31C7B1BA-C24F-4FD7-B930-627B53F4299F.jpeg.71e81bfe5b1fe050735cabbbc0ff8bce.jpeg

A little market which also had washrooms (one of the reasons it’s a must stop 😉 )

7016B9D0-158A-4663-AB09-8B0BC7534CF7.jpeg.1a6a3301011206c333465a66dd5f0b25.jpeg

If you go Nuku Hiva, definitely go to Chez Yvonne’s for lunch.  It was wonderful.  You will most likely want to share servings.  They are huge!

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Wednesday everyone!!!

918403D4-FBAB-46B3-9DE4-B1D028BCEADE.thumb.jpeg.b50b41de2b1c18b1c935c80fc531cbba.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone. All is quiet here this morning.Sam needs an appointment with a podiatrist and I’m going to see if I can find someone to come to the house so we don’t have to go through the process of getting him and the walker and wheelchair into and out of the car.

Last night I broke down and had a good cry. It relieved the tension I’ve had since June 6 , and I felt better after. Between the OT, PT , nurses, and speech therapists we are kept busy.

Carol

• Like 32

2 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. All is quiet here this morning.Sam needs an appointment with a podiatrist and I’m going to see if I can find someone to come to the house so we don’t have to go through the process of getting him and the walker and wheelchair into and out of the car.

Last night I broke down and had a good cry. It relieved the tension I’ve had since June 6 , and I felt better after. Between the OT, PT , nurses, and speech therapists we are kept busy.

Carol

You have been through a lot, Carol.  You deserved a good cry and I’m glad it helped with your stress.  Hopefully things improve for you from here on in.

• Like 17

Good morning all. Praying for those on the care list and celebrating with those on the celebration list. 

So happy that I can add my sister to that last list. After 6 and 1/2 hours of surgery yesterday, her Drs at M D Anderson are confident that all cancer has been removed. After one last chemo treatment down the road a few weeks (to catch any stray cell that may have “escaped”) she should be at the end of this battle. Thank you all for your prayers, thoughts and kind wishes which have been a great encouragement to all of us. 😁😁😁

Barb

• Like 34

6 minutes ago, wandb said:

Good morning all. Praying for those on the care list and celebrating with those on the celebration list. 

So happy that I can add my sister to that last list. After 6 and 1/2 hours of surgery yesterday, her Drs at M D Anderson are confident that all cancer has been removed. After one last chemo treatment down the road a few weeks (to catch any stray cell that may have “escaped”) she should be at the end of this battle. Thank you all for your prayers, thoughts and kind wishes which have been a great encouragement to all of us. 😁😁😁

Barb

that is really, really good news 👍 So happy to hear it 🙂 

• Like 13

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

Nice selection of ports,food and drink.

Polynesia sounds exotic and looking forward to some photos.

We had lunch overlooking Lake Windermere.

IMG_20210714_124757.jpg

IMG-20210714-WA0000.jpg

Screenshot_20210714_130748_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

IMG_20210714_134556.jpg

IMG_20210714_133938.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 29

11 minutes ago, wandb said:

Barb

Excellent.  I will add that I got an email from Jamie's mom and his surgery went well although both he and Luke have a long road ahead.

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1