Have you ever requested a kettle for your room? Did you get one?

BuckeyeMark

11 minutes ago, skynight said:

Emerald Princess, June 2016, RT Southampton, 14 night Norway Fjords. No kettle in our balcony cat. cabin.

Princess started in 2018 out of Southamptom. I was on a June cruise and we didn't have them but they were loaded on the ship a month or two later.

14 minutes ago, skynight said:

Emerald Princess, June 2016, RT Southampton, 14 night Norway Fjords. No kettle in our balcony cat. cabin.

What you experienced in 2016 has no bearing on the current kettle situation!

As just stated, kettles have  been standard issue for the last three years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Why wouldn't the cruise line pay for all the damage?

PCL kicked it to the port. The port paid $250 IIRC (the max that they allow) and kicked it to our insurance. They paid their max. Don't recall how much. Just remember we were out a lot of $$ because they don't pay replacement cost. They deduct for the amount of use that you got from the item. And you had to have proof (receipts, etc.) It took me 2 months to track down all my "proof".

Suitcases were never the same (we got rid of them) and that wasn't included in the reimbursement.

We were also not compensated for having literally only the few things in our carry-on and what we were wearing to board...it took 3 days for the "express" laundry to return our clothes. PCL covered the laundry, but never offered (and I didn't know enough to insist) that they provide us with some clothes to wear. I would have used laundry facility if I'd known it would take 3 days for express.

Lesson: Don't forget to pack some clothes in your carry-on, 'cuz you never know what can happen.

Never pack electronics in your suitcase.

If possible, don't check your suitcases. We rarely do anymore.

We were on an "Around the British Isles" cruise out of Southampton in May of 2019 and there was no kettle in our cabin.  Of course we didn't ask for one but there were plenty of Brits on the cruise so maybe they ask and got them.  I use one at home everyday.  My old one "gave up the ghost" and the new one I purchased in advance did not have an automatic shut off.  Got rid of that one!!!

<<<Karen>>>  

17 hours ago, portiaqueen said:

I’ve sailed Princess out of Southampton numerous times and, despite what other people are saying on here, have never had a kettle provided in my cabin. P&O are a completely different matter. It irritates me no end!  In answer to the original question, I did ask & was told no.

According to what I have just read, they have provided them since 2018 out of Southampton, so someone's wrong.

Edit: Sorry it has already been said.

Edited by dwhe

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We were on the Sapphire in summer 2019 on the Southampton/Norway itinerary and there was a kettle in the cabin.  But that article doesn't say if the program was extended to all ships sailing out of Southampton.

Oh boy ... now you're just feeding the hope! I'm going out of Southampton ...

It is so very strange.......... I guess the "teakettle" is not dangerous if it only departs from Southampton.

😵

That article says:

“We fully appreciate how much Brits all enjoy drinking tea and coffee”, said Tony Roberts, Princess Cruises’ vice president, UK and Europe, in a statement.

I guess that nobody else appreciate their tea or coffee... I know hundreds of people who really appreciate their coffee!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am SOOO confused. A kettle is either a possible fire hazard that puts the ship & pax at risk or it isn't. Departure port & nationality of pax doesn't change either scenario. Either we all get one because it's safe or no one gets one because it's a danger. 

29 minutes ago, 1965 said:

I am SOOO confused. A kettle is either a possible fire hazard that puts the ship & pax at risk or it isn't. Departure port & nationality of pax doesn't change either scenario. Either we all get one because it's safe or no one gets one because it's a danger. 

A kettle is always a fire hazard.  What changes is the cruise line's desire to please their demographic (like UK cruisers), so will pay for the extra cost and maintenance cost.  They will also have an insurance premium rider added for those ships with "universal" kettles.  It is a risk management problem.  Does the benefit (happy UK cruisers) outweigh the additional cost and the additional risk.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

A kettle is always a fire hazard.  What changes is the cruise line's desire to please their demographic (like UK cruisers), so will pay for the extra cost and maintenance cost.  They will also have an insurance premium rider added for those ships with "universal" kettles.  It is a risk management problem.  Does the benefit (happy UK cruisers) outweigh the additional cost and the additional risk.

You state that an electric kettle is always a fire hazard - please give some examples.  Even the cheapest budget hotel in the UK has electruc kettles in every room, and we do not seem to be suffering from a continuous number of hotels being burnt to the ground. 

The risk of a fire being started by a modern auto cut off kettle is so miniscule that it is almost impossible to find an actual example. Apart from the American tourists who put an electric kettle on a hob in London some years ago, not realising what it was !

The extra cost to the cruise line is minuscule, and given the lack of  evidence regarding fires, I doubt that the extra insurance premium is of any magnitude.

If Princess add on $1 to my cruise fare to pay for the cost of an electric kettle, so be it. Over the course of a UK summer season, that will generate some $100,000 - should cover any costs.     

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

Just now, wowzz said:

You state that an electric kettle is always a fire hazard - please give some examples.  Even the cheapest budget hotel in the UK has electruc kettles in every room, and we do not seem to be suffering from a continuous number of hotels being burnt to the ground. 

The risk of a fire being started by a modern auto cut off kettle is so miniscule that it is almost impossible to find an actual example. Apart from the American tourists who put an electric kettle on a hob in London some years ago, not realising what it was !

The extra cost to the cruise line is minuscule, and given the lack of  evidence regarding fires, I doubt that the extra insurance premium is of any magnitude.

If Princess add on $1 to my cruise fare to pay for the cost of an electric kettle, so be it. Over the course of a UK summer season, that will generate some $100,000 - should cover any costs.     

One question.   How do you escape a fire on board ship?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I look at it this way.  If it were so safe, so cheap and so easy peasey, all the cruiselines would have kettles and/or coffee makers in all their staterooms, along with irons and steamers.  There is clearly a reason why they don’t and it is what it is.  The fact that some cabins on some ships on some itineraries do provide kettles is just another mystery that I doubt we’ll solve here.  I’m just glad to be able to get on a ship again!

14 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I look at it this way.  If it were so safe, so cheap and so easy peasey, all the cruiselines would have kettles and/or coffee makers in all their staterooms, along with irons and steamers.  There is clearly a reason why they don’t and it is what it is.  The fact that some cabins on some ships on some itineraries do provide kettles is just another mystery that I doubt we’ll solve here.  I’m just glad to be able to get on a ship again!

Many, many cruise lines have kettles on board - if they were such a fire hazard surely no cruise line would allow them?

Pure scare mongering.

• Like 1

You have all addressed my EXACT point! The tea kettle is only dangerous on itineraries that do not leave from Southampton! I am of course being sarcastic because this makes NO sense! For some reason, the tea kettle is SACRED for the people departing from Southampton. Good grief!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nini said:

For some reason, the tea kettle is SACRED for the people departing from Southampton. Good grief!

Be careful, do you remember some people throwing tea into Boston harbor !

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2021 at 12:37 PM, neverbeenhere said:

We have received kettles on at least one Princess cruise not out of Southampton, but it is not the “norm”. It helps if you walk around the ship calling everyone “governor” in your worst British accent. 

British people will immediately know you are an American.

I don't think we're going to answer my original question (ideas about how to get a kettle) but it is undeniable that kettles can be, and in fact are, used safely on many cruises. We can debate the fire hazard/risk and "why don't all cruises have them" (since there are some of us who would dearly love one) but that prolly won't be resolved here either. There may be many reasons - including the economics of buying a couple of zillion kettles across the fleet - but what seems to make sense to many of us somehow doesn't resonate at Princess HQ.  Maybe as specialty coffee increases in popularity and more folks request a kettle so they can do an AeroPress, French press or pour over, or put it on their survey as something they wanted, etc.  one line will start it ...and then another and another.  At least I can hope!

And thanks for all who tried to keep the thread on track on the original question!

Edited by BuckeyeMark

1 hour ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I don't think we're going to answer my original question (ideas about how to get a kettle) but it is undeniable that kettles can be, and in fact are, used safely on many cruises. We can debate the fire hazard/risk and "why don't all cruises have them" (since there are some of us who would dearly love one) but that prolly won't be resolved here either. There may be many reasons - including the economics of buying a couple of zillion kettles across the fleet - but what seems to make sense to many of us somehow doesn't resonate at Princess HQ.  Maybe as specialty coffee increases in popularity and more folks request a kettle so they can do an AeroPress, French press or pour over, or put it on their survey as something they wanted, etc.  one line will start it ...and then another and another.  At least I can hope!

And thanks for all who tried to keep the thread on track on the original question!

That is exactly how I make my  offer in the morning-  a kettle for my pour over would be lovely.

10 hours ago, 1965 said:

Some kettles are fire hazards and some are not.

When a cruise line supplies a kettle, it knows the kettle is of a type that should not be a fire hazard.

If a passenger brings a kettle aboard it may be a safe one or it may not. That is why passengers are not allowed to bring their own kettles.

On Princess ships not based in Southampton, there are no kettles on board to put in passengers' cabins.

• Like 2