The Daily for Friday July 30, 2021

richwmn

We were in Skagway May 27, 2008 on the Sapphire Princess. We took the train/bus excursion and then had time to tour the town. So many photos from the excursion that it will take time to narrow them down. Here are some from the town and ship.

An ad on the hillside

685379630_2Hillsidead.thumb.jpg.898c7c45a6ba2bc62480346ff51d6fc1.jpg

Looking towards the pier

1998249327_3DowntownSkagway.thumb.jpg.92213e5901be7babef15fe23aea8ca5b.jpg

The Artic Brotherhood

344678689_1ArticBrotherhood.thumb.jpg.1b87a47da7d322defc266e5387996cbb.jpg

Snow plow engine for clearing tracks

1740262436_6Snowplowengine.thumb.jpg.26ecea8835e452880fcf0a35a8243df1.jpg

The Statendam was also in Skagway that day

1176276889_9Statendam.thumb.JPG.61477292477fbe16f33c4f47909e10a4.JPG

Looking back as we left

1653166027_11LeavingSkagway.thumb.JPG.beb1a43d2b64d8cd3120292ff8d2f655.JPG

Between Skagway and Haines

8325205_17Mountainwaterfall.thumb.jpg.f8b45e31fb2a3efeee1db221d58f4fcc.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'll pass on the cheesecake, although I know DH wouldn't.   I had a wonderful father-in-law who taught me how to make Russian cabbage borscht (the kind without beets).  Sadly, he's been gone for many years, but his recipe lives on.  This board is a fine example of International Friends Day every day, and I'm grateful to have all of you as my friends.  I try to mind my conduct, but well, you know!

@Crazy For Cats what a night just before you leave . . . did you get any sleep at all?  I'm thinking you'll hopefully doze on the flight!

We had a half hour storm last evening with thunder and lightning all around us.  Some rain, (maybe 5 minutes), but lots of noise and light.  And in the midst of it, the 2 little boys (ages 4 and 7) from next door (apparently under the supervision of their parents from the front steps) were riding their scooters through the water at the edge of the sidewalk.  I just shook my head and went back into the house.

I like today's menu suggestion, but it's Friday night pizza night at our house.  There's a new pizzeria on the other side of the city that has received some great reviews, so we'll be heading over there to see what they have to offer.  And wine.

As Monday is a civic holiday, there will be lots of people hitting the stores and streets to get out of the city, so we're heading over to the grocery store early to miss the crowds.  We're having our not-quite-adopted Chinese daughter and her family over for a barbecue on Sunday, so I want to make some things in advance, leaving time for visiting while they're here.  It's been such a long since we've done something like that, it feels like quite a treat!  We've always enjoyed entertaining and are looking forward to gradually getting back to it again.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Would love that recipe!  My grandma made something similar😍

She also made the best chicken noodle soup with home made noodles.

Glad you can do something normal!   We actually went out to a restaurant outside well  spaced patio with double vaccinated friends for the first time in a year and a half.  It was so nice!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Didn’t get much sleep.  DH will have no issue sleeping on the flight.  I doubt that I will be able to get any sleep.  One thing that I thought was sweet.  Tucker laid on me two different times after the firemen left.  Purring away and trying to help ease the stress.  He normally doesn’t do that when I’m in bed.  Love that boy.

Have a wonderful trip! 

• Like 8

Good morning to my Daily friends.  Our day!  We ordered hamburgers from the White Spot yesterday as they were having a fundraiser for those affected by the fires in the interior of the province, and we had wanted cheesecake, too, but DD forgot it, and it was just as well anyway, because the hamburgers were HUGE!  I do have a steak out for tonight.  

@mamaofami, I was watching TV last night - a channel I don't usually watch, and there was suddenly a ribbon on the screen with a tornado warning and where to go to hide, and I think now the channel might have been in your area!  

We went to Skagway once when DD was flying out of Haines and we were visiting her and we took a little ferry across and just wandered a bit.  Then another time we visited on a cruise with Pat's sister and her hubby from Australia.  We took the train to Canada!  (After a wander around the town.) 

Greeted by a moose

512983267_DSC_2397591G1SKAGWAY.thumb.jpg.7c062d6a2ec72c2f17cf540f7892c7b2.jpg

In town - we searched for internet

P1010243.thumb.JPG.b5a5fb184a95cab1ae5980a1ba3de0b4.JPG

The train - in and out and roundabout

P1000806.thumb.JPG.e2813d07476f812dde2207983148d0c4.JPG

P1000804.thumb.JPG.0b503cffff6386c12bb7db4b3fe25392.JPG

The track was supposedly the trail used by the prospectors  - so narrow

P1010305.thumb.JPG.8f37b32c5168c00bdc5143be10e304ff.JPG

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Happy Friday!  We are off to the immersive Van Gogh exhibit in Charlotte this morning.

We have tickets for the one in DC in September. I'll be interested to hear your reaction!

• Like 8

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Great days. I love cheesecake, have no FIL, and always celebrate friends.

I like the meal minus the sauce. Also the drink and wine. I like Roy's meal as well.

I didn't get to Skagway on my only Alaskan cruise as we couldn't dock in Haines (I can't remember why). I was disappointed to miss the White Pass train ride I had booked.

Wile no severe storms here yesterday, there were tornado warnings in the county to our southwest. It's cooler and less humid here today. I may try to mow the lawn later. The shrubs desperately need to be trimmed, so that's for tomorrow.

I drove for the first time yesterday and the difference with better vision was amazing! I'm no longer a menace on the road, lol. The Rheumatologist wants to do an MRI of the lower spine due to my neuropathy complaints. I'm waiting for insurance approval.

@Crazy For Cats I'm glad there was no fire, but what a way to spend the night before departure!

@cat shepard More wonderful pictures from iceland! I want to go there!

@aliaschief Yikes, that's way too hot!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone. Our Covid numbers are ticking up some, but fortunately not too bad.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

We have been to Skagway only one time, and that was on our very first cruise in 1997.  We were on a 7 day cruise on the Legend OTS.  I was not interested at all, in cruising, but we were with friends and family and got hooked on cruising ever since.  It's now just a little over a week until we board NA!  We fly to Seattle on Monday for our family visit and BIG Anniversary gathering and then Alaska! 

• Like 15

Good morning all!

Another sunny, warm day in the PNW.  Those leaving on a BHB should have gorgeous sail aways!  It will hit the mid 80's F here today, then cooling to the mid-high 70's F which is perfect for me. 

Will pass on the cheesecake unless it's chocolate (not a fan of cream cheese).  The meal looked great until I read the recipe.  Am I the only one here who can't tolerate cilantro?  And it's in more and more things lately 😞  Tonight we will have more Chicken Parmesan, I made a lot of it last night. 

The wine sounds great, I had a sweet FIL who passed in 1982 from Pancreatic Cancer, and yesterday was my BFF's birthday. She's 6 months younger than I am, we've been besties since 4th grade.

We were in Skagway on an Alaska Land/Sea cruise May 2019.  We did the White Pass Railroad but my photos are the same as others already posted. 

@Crazy For Catswow, that's awful about your fridge and the timing just before you leave!  Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 18

Good Afternoon, we are in the air and I got a comforting email from JetBlue that my bag is on the plane.  Interestingly we got an offer to the Pinnacle Suite.  By the time I got DH agree it was gone.  Oh well, money saved for a new freezer.

• Like 18

26 minutes ago, NextOne said:

We have tickets for the one in DC in September. I'll be interested to hear your reaction!

It’s pretty good.  You sit in a large room and they rotate images of his paintings.  It’s dynamic with things flowing around.  The whole thing is about 20 minutes.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I'll pass on the cheescake -- usually too heavy. But I had a wonderful FIL that died too soon from Pancreatic cancer. And I concur that the Daily is an excellent reflection of International Friendship. Thank you to all for keeping it a safe space!

We were only to Skagway once. We docked in Haines and then took the fast ferry. Our plan was to take a van tour up into the Yukon, then take the train back into Skagway. The van driver gave us a wonderful tour, then took us to the train stop, where we found out that the train had broken down and wouldn't return to Skagway until after the ship's departure! Luckily the driver had stayed around & offered to take us back down with an extended tour. Needless to say, he got a HUGE tip when he dropped us off at the ferry!

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

It’s pretty good.  You sit in a large room and they rotate images of his paintings.  It’s dynamic with things flowing around.  The whole thing is about 20 minutes.

Thank you!

• Like 5

Good Morning,

International Friendship Day, what a great way to celebrate the many voices in the daily, and the support we extend to one another from thousands of miles/kilometers away. 

This morning's peek at the weather forecast had something I haven't seen in a while, raindrops, for next week, but it's still a low chance.  We're sweltering once again with temps well over 90 degrees, but we're 2 days away from having the AC units installed, praying it goes well, with the way my luck has been going the last couple of years, we'll get it finished and find out something doesn't work or something doesn't fit.  But the man installing them is a very experienced finish carpenter / handyman....you know, one of those people everybody wants around because they can fix pretty much anything, I was not in the room when those talents were passed out.

I know this is short and I haven't even read today's daily in full, but wanted to post while I had the time, and once again, a BIG THANK YOU to all the thoughts/prayers!

~Bruno

• Like 22

Thanks for the Daily and everyone who enjoys it.  The food and drink look great.  I'll have to find some of those glow-in-the-dark ice cubes.

My FIL passed away shortly after DH and I moved back to the US in 2009.  We still have wonderful memories of visiting so he is still with us.

Love International friends and those on the daily.  Such a good way to increase good will.

Cheesecake is wonderful.  I switched to pumpkin cheesecake a number of years ago for Thanksgiving as my pie crust just never turns our like my mother’s used to. I no longer eat any dairy and have a dairy free pumpkin cheesecake that I make that everyone says is just as good as the Martha Stewart recipe I used for years.

@mamaofami  Glad to see Sam is doing better with the cane.  That weather sounds very scary.

@kazu Love today's memes.

@Crazy For Cats - enjoy your cruise.  Sorry about the unfortunate freezer problem, at least it's controlled and you aren't finding it when you get back.

@cat shepard what beautiful scenery.

@highland cruiser went spent the day on the coast yesterday to avoid the heat here in the valley.  Too much to get done around the house today.  Enjoy the fog!

@Cruising-along agree with you on cilantro, yuck!  I just substitute regular parsley or spinach.

I have only been to Skagway once, in May 1994 on my first cruise.  Mys DS and I rode the White Pass train and saw lots of black bears, glad we were in the train.  Appreciate all the photos of the area.  I will post pictures of what I bought in town and still enjoy viewing around the house everyday.

Prayers to all those on the care list and those who need them.  Best wishes to all.

whale.jpg

bear.jpg

birds prints.jpg

owl.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to add we are still having bee problems around the hummingbird feeder.  The issue is that they leak, those cheap plastic feeders you get at the big box store don't have a rubber seal, a ridiculous oversight because it would only add about ten cents to the price.  So on order is feeder number 7, I think, or 8.....an all glass leak proof beauty, I will take a picture.

Also on order is some type of peppermint spray that bees hate but won't harm the birds.  DD wants to use pesticide and I told him absolutely not!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

🌺7:00 here in Maui...thank you for The Daily Rich @richwmn and Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists.

😎I'm enjoying seeing all the photos from Skagway ( how appropriate now that Alaska is open to 🚢's.)😁

🙏Prayers to all and those who contribute.

🤔 I think most of my reading will be from a library download and a morning (slow) stroll.🙃

Katie

• Like 17

For those discussing the VanGogh exhibit - @KirkNCand @NextOne, we saw it in Charlotte soon after it opened, and I was enchanted by it.  We sat through it twice, and I turned around in my seat for the second time, because the perspective is a bit different from different angles.  I think you might get dizzy if you moved around too much in the middle of the show.  It helps to be familiar with his works in advance, because a lot of them were in the show and in different combinations and sort of telling stories.  The music was really emotional at times.  The one that immediately comes to mind is Barber's Adagio for Strings.  I hope you both enjoy/enjoyed it.

Thanks to all who post and visit here.

Cindy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for an interesting daily Rich and care reports Roy.

It was my Father in laws 13th memory yesterday since he died of cancer in 2008.

Cheesecake is lovely.

Not sure what the drink is.

We have never been to Alaska.

We should all ensure good conduct at all times.

International friendship Day is important and practiced excellently on here.

We have had a lovely lunch in a nice hotel.

IMG_20210730_120528.jpg

IMG_20210730_121906.jpg

You both look great. Jim

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon, we are in the air and I got a comforting email from JetBlue that my bag is on the plane.  Interestingly we got an offer to the Pinnacle Suite.  By the time I got DH agree it was gone.  Oh well, money saved for a new freezer.

YAY - you’re on your way 👍. OMG on the offer for the PS.  That would have been fun but you do need a new freezer 😉 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I'm curious...

We passed on this in San Diego because it seemed like it could be migraine-inducing.  Do you think it could do that?  All those lines and lights swirling around...

edit to add I just saw @TheKingD's post about dizziness.  I probably would be dizzy,.

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 3

Quick note as I dash (as fast as an elderly grannie lady can dash) out the door to go to the shelter for a meeting with staff.

I love Cheesecake but really should not eat it. Have lots of International friends after years of traveling, and of course here on the Boards. Hope to meet many of you in person in the not too distant future. Have not been to Skagway, would like to go (and you know I say that regularly).

We had rain and hail yesterday.  More possible for today. We are beginning to catch up on moisture. A few roads have washed out in the county. So far burn scars are holding.

Home Depot strikes again!!!!!!! - they charged me 3 times for the patio door. As you might think, our conversation this morning was not very pleasant from my end. I also called the bank and disputed 2 of the 3 charges.

Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Susan

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2