The Daily for Friday July 30, 2021

richwmn

I do not have a photo for July 30 so I am going to July 25, 2005 and my multimodal trip from Yellowknife to Chicago and home.  On July 25 I was on Blount's Grande Caribe cruising the Great Lakes from Duluth, stopping for the day in Munsing, Michigan:

ytgl090.jpg.6eb2f1d1b9d77275e02218469182

Roy

• Like 28

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family! Welcome to the clan @jayhawk66 hope your pup feels better soon. 

I have to relearn how to do lots of things with this brace. The gauze cast had a lot of give. I had to become a contortionist just to get in & out of the car! But it is so much cooler and I can ice.  So I am happy. Tonight is a Panera night with wine. My Iceland contingent are coming over to help me celebrate the removal of the cast.

I find the quote very interesting. So many people say one thing and do another. Behavior/conduct tells the real story. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Granbazán 2019 Etiqueta Verde Albariño (Rías Baixas) Galicia

All released vintages of this intriguing entry from Spain have excellent ratings, so grab the one with the lowest price. I found several online distributors with the price starting at $16.99. @kazu, Jacqui, you are correct about this wine, I am adding this to my list. 
And I would really like to meet the author of the Wine & Spirits review. 😎

Winemaker Notes

#91 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Pale golden color, with green hue. Complex aromas of green apples, grassy, citrus and tropical fruits; white flowers show up in a second layer. Mouth filling sensation with crispy acidity. Elegant, balanced and pleasant with a salty aftertaste.

W&S92 Wine & Spirits: This albariño offers its fresh coastal richness with the kind of naked joy delivered in a freshly shucked scallop. That clean depth of flavor carries the sunny feel of the Atlantic coast in summer. The wine spends three months on the lees, in tank, developing white flower notes but no toastiness or excess weight. It’s a fresh, bold beauty "Best Buy"

WE91 Wine Enthusiast: Apple and other white fruit aromas come with a touch of lanolin, while this is fresh yet rounded on the palate. Nice flavors of golden apple, white stone fruits and sea salt finish with good length.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!  It's going to be a scorcher today so when we go out to get groceries and run errands I will rush from AC car to AC store.  🥵  What a nice group of days!  Cheesecake I could celebrate every day because it's so, so good.  Fathers-in-law are important and have my respect.  Mine passed away in 2004.  RIP.  As for International Friends Day we have our own wonderful group of friends to celebrate here every day.  Thanks for our Daily @richwmnand @rafinmdour Care and Celebration lists. @kazuthank you for your selection of memes today to brighten our smiles.  @puppycanducruiseI noticed your lovely new avatar photo today.  Adorable!  The menu suggestion today is a good one so thanks to @dfishfor finding the recipe and photo.

I've been to Skagway several times but so have many of you so we can expect to see some good photos.  I was thinking that poor Skagway may not be benefitting from the abbreviated Alaska season this year since HAL isn't going there.  Then I wondered if perhaps Princess, RCI or Celebrity were heading up there.  I sure hope they get some tourism dollars this year!

I'm off to check the Nieuw Amsterdam cruise postings to see what is happening there.  Last I checked all was fine on board.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

Great set of days today.   I love cheesecake, but the cheesecake loves my waist more.  I don't have a father in law, but do cherish my friends, including and especially my Daily family and friends.  

I've been to Skagway, but have no idea where those pictures might be.  That would be a major search mission.

Today's meal sounds familiar, but it sure looks good.  Lots of good way to fix flank steak and this is one of them.  

https://damndelicious.net/2020/02/09/steak-and-potatoes-with-5-minute-chimichurri-sauce/

974562958_Steak-and-Potatoes-with-5-Minute-Chimichurri-SauceIMG_0285(1).thumb.jpg.c8a86e162573bc69acbba1f5acb71704.jpg

Looks interesting.  I have never had it that way.  When I was younger my late mother had a way of making flank steak which was very tasty.  I loved it.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I was thinking that poor Skagway may not be benefitting from the abbreviated Alaska season this year since HAL isn't going there.  Then I wondered if perhaps Princess, RCI or Celebrity were heading up there.  I sure hope they get some tourism dollars this year!

Just checked cruisemapper.com and several cruise ships are calling at Skagway this year. Not as many passengers as in a normal year, but probably on a par with other ports.

• Like 12

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  It was a rough night and for awhile thought we might have to cancel our cruise.  I woke up to the smell of burning rubber.  After we did a search and couldn’t figure it out I called the fire department.  They arrived quickly after check the house thoroughly.  The finally determined that it was our freezer.  The plug was pulled and we moved what we could to the other freezer.  Some food is lost.  Then to add insult to injury the smoke co2 detector went off after we had gone back to bed.

@kazuthe fireman were definitely pleasant on the eyes.

We made it through the security check rather quickly.  Shuttle from Braintree to past security was about an hour.  We are going to grab a bite to eat before the plane boards in two hours.  I hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Rich:  Thank you for the DAILY Fleet report.  Nice to see one more of the readers of this thread has become a poster.  Thanks again for posting the video of the hand over ceremony yesterday.  Now the ROTTERDAM VII is now a part of the HAL Fleet.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the cheesecake and have probably had 2 Fathers in Law since Roger was married twice.  A special salute to International Day of Friendship and it is every day on the Daily..  I like the meal and the Arnold quote.  I expect to see a lot of photos of Skagway.  My alternative is Mixed Seasonal Greens, Top Sirloin Center Cut Steak, and Tiramisu as served on the Elegant Explorer July 30, 2011

Today’s care list:

RIP FF Thomas Royds last alarm 7/24/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU(hopefully not long
DurangoScots shelter manager in hospital (but out of ICU}
Kazu’s friend with fall and brain bleed(Improving)
bennybear DSIL infection
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome Rotterdam
Front Line Health Care Workers
CrazyForCats off to Seattle
A great report from Cat Shepard’s Ortho Doc
Crew News winning contest
The new policy on mixed vaccines
Michael’s (atexsix’s “adopted brother”)spry family friend coordinating arrangements
rain for cruisin single
Sharon booked for 28 August
garlictown in Maui
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for Both Lists.  I am happy that the Rotterdam has been officially become a part of the HAL Fleet.

• Like 7

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'll pass on the cheesecake, although I know DH wouldn't.   I had a wonderful father-in-law who taught me how to make Russian cabbage borscht (the kind without beets).  Sadly, he's been gone for many years, but his recipe lives on.  This board is a fine example of International Friends Day every day, and I'm grateful to have all of you as my friends.  I try to mind my conduct, but well, you know!

@Crazy For Cats what a night just before you leave . . . did you get any sleep at all?  I'm thinking you'll hopefully doze on the flight!

We had a half hour storm last evening with thunder and lightning all around us.  Some rain, (maybe 5 minutes), but lots of noise and light.  And in the midst of it, the 2 little boys (ages 4 and 7) from next door (apparently under the supervision of their parents from the front steps) were riding their scooters through the water at the edge of the sidewalk.  I just shook my head and went back into the house.

I like today's menu suggestion, but it's Friday night pizza night at our house.  There's a new pizzeria on the other side of the city that has received some great reviews, so we'll be heading over there to see what they have to offer.  And wine.

As Monday is a civic holiday, there will be lots of people hitting the stores and streets to get out of the city, so we're heading over to the grocery store early to miss the crowds.  We're having our not-quite-adopted Chinese daughter and her family over for a barbecue on Sunday, so I want to make some things in advance, leaving time for visiting while they're here.  It's been such a long since we've done something like that, it feels like quite a treat!  We've always enjoyed entertaining and are looking forward to gradually getting back to it again.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

20 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  It was a rough night and for awhile thought we might have to cancel our cruise.  I woke up to the smell of burning rubber.  After we did a search and couldn’t figure it out I called the fire department.  They arrived quickly after check the house thoroughly.  The finally determined that it was our freezer.  The plug was pulled and we moved what we could to the other freezer.  Some food is lost.  Then to add insult to injury the smoke co2 detector went off after we had gone back to bed.

@kazuthe fireman were definitely pleasant on the eyes.

We made it through the security check rather quickly.  Shuttle from Braintree to past security was about an hour.  We are going to grab a bite to eat before the plane boards in two hours.  I hope everyone has a good day.

Bon Voyage!

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'll pass on the cheesecake, although I know DH wouldn't.   I had a wonderful father-in-law who taught me how to make Russian cabbage borscht (the kind without beets).  Sadly, he's been gone for many years, but his recipe lives on.  This board is a fine example of International Friends Day every day, and I'm grateful to have all of you as my friends.  I try to mind my conduct, but well, you know!

@Crazy For Cats what a night just before you leave . . . did you get any sleep at all?  I'm thinking you'll hopefully doze on the flight!

We had a half hour storm last evening with thunder and lightning all around us.  Some rain, (maybe 5 minutes), but lots of noise and light.  And in the midst of it, the 2 little boys (ages 4 and 7) from next door (apparently under the supervision of their parents from the front steps) were riding their scooters through the water at the edge of the sidewalk.  I just shook my head and went back into the house.

I like today's menu suggestion, but it's Friday night pizza night at our house.  There's a new pizzeria on the other side of the city that has received some great reviews, so we'll be heading over there to see what they have to offer.  And wine.

As Monday is a civic holiday, there will be lots of people hitting the stores and streets to get out of the city, so we're heading over to the grocery store early to miss the crowds.  We're having our not-quite-adopted Chinese daughter and her family over for a barbecue on Sunday, so I want to make some things in advance, leaving time for visiting while they're here.  It's been such a long since we've done something like that, it feels like quite a treat!  We've always enjoyed entertaining and are looking forward to gradually getting back to it again.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Didn’t get much sleep.  DH will have no issue sleeping on the flight.  I doubt that I will be able to get any sleep.  One thing that I thought was sweet.  Tucker laid on me two different times after the firemen left.  Purring away and trying to help ease the stress.  He normally doesn’t do that when I’m in bed.  Love that boy.

Edited by Crazy For Cats
Spellcheck
  • Like 26

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Saw this the other day and had a little chuckle.

DCA76668-50C1-49F0-96BB-1D0F7641FED9.thumb.jpeg.84e06eca2294f2a09413916a46d31192.jpeg

This one hit home.  My mom used to love to call the handsome fire department team to put her

back in bed from "falls."   Luckily, none of her falls ever caused any injury whatsoever. 🤔

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

The Icelandic saga continues…

It was another glorious morning, though a bit cool. We all agreed that we would have liked to have spent more time in the Eastern fjords. It felt other worldly - perhaps because we had to cross a mountain to get to there. We saw kayaks everywhere. Though I was not in a position to kayak at that moment, I know it would be amazing to kayak there. We also wanted to visit the Northwest fjords - the only area not covered by our tour. 

Another wonderful breakfast buffet. Our first with an Icelandic staple - pickled herring. None of us tried it. 🤫 After our meal we headed out. François stopped at the sod-roofed house we had passed on our way in. The owner, who used to use it as her summer home, bequeathed it to the town. She still comes for a few weeks every summer, but now when she passes, the town does not have to worry about losing this treasure. 

27E338E3-91A4-4A4C-A777-69982AC75A9D.thumb.jpeg.db5538c4986f3e4f2641a7c5ee98bb06.jpeg9C412E85-3156-4BBF-8E27-B70E34AF5B40.thumb.jpeg.74613b06f41c4294df863162e67d524c.jpeg6A600C8E-ECA6-482F-9653-5776C27549B3.thumb.jpeg.521c59fe8f3f134cc410036f43ae359d.jpeg

Back up the switchback road with a stop to relish the sun sparkling on the water below us. We stopped for snacks/lunch with the direction it would be a long time before we came to another place we could stop. So we stocked up!😎

E33202A7-F0DE-42EA-8CAA-E190921A13B4.thumb.jpeg.62d407bea713f288012911e3d02cb6ae.jpeg2367643A-046F-4521-8B22-C0C477E860AC.thumb.jpeg.fadd2394586cd712074f45b01d2fd329.jpegE24CF43F-4231-49B6-B6E2-16FE6CBCF423.thumb.jpeg.f81251dcad1c76935582a3dfb90f948a.jpeg

Our first stop was at Hengifoss - the Hidden Waterfall. François  advised me not to do it. When I saw the dozens of steps leading up to steep inclines, I did not need to be convinced. There were a couple of picnic tables outside, so I sat out with another person who opted out of the trek. I used the time to start catching up on my log. I did not want to forget a moment.  François sat with us for a short time, finalizing a spreadsheet that his company would submit to a medical group that conducts rapid COVID testing. We would each be tested at our hotel our last night in Iceland.  We would have the results in one hour via email, which we could then show to the airlines and all authorities. I believe it cost $59, or 600K.

He then left us to scale the steps and hill to check on the group. The other woman and I moved back to the minibus because the sun was getting hot. The group raved about the visit when they returned. It was so off the beaten path there were few others there. Two folk shared their pictures with me. For two of them this was the highlight of the entire trip!

4909E143-BF7D-4054-9B7D-338BAD7B5424.thumb.jpeg.48b65f670fe1807238f0667cae880e59.jpeg18FD59CE-AB21-4198-B32F-FCE57A9ABB8D.thumb.jpeg.ef93505a03f8b1b92127970b12914b4f.jpeg0259BD5A-7592-438F-9DE9-2CDB430220D7.thumb.jpeg.0d68ec9cbc0a68c2e6e488521fcf6847.jpeg

And we were off! As we headed South we started to lose the sun. But we gained the land of waterfalls.  And as we got out to enjoy the falls and stretch our legs, we started to notice how the land of the nearby foothills appeared to have waves. François said the waves were a result of how a glacier carved the land. We traveled a couple of hours through this amazing topography. 

94A3CD7F-4F9D-4CCD-94C9-B6C2B88A94D0.thumb.jpeg.0928800d28e7af85e666c24bf720e780.jpeg

BB7073A5-ECAA-4E9A-B01E-9C61AF2F7747.thumb.jpeg.55cc49f05582a3ac6ad6675e69ffaadf.jpeg64B7B94C-DBB7-4953-B643-504EC6616AAF.thumb.jpeg.4bb69dafe3dfe61d282d916d6ffe0bec.jpegB1655C37-9D37-48EA-B4B7-FC286B25AA35.thumb.jpeg.a3b9d711d551d5171e0696d393945931.jpegE684F41C-E2E9-415F-8E57-A5D54052CE52.thumb.jpeg.ed9f71f8ec25ced6eae4cee67740cd37.jpeg

We stopped at Free Villi’s, an emporium of fun exhibits and lovely mementos. But he only accepts cash, so if you plan to stop - bring cash!

5B187D2B-B08E-45E5-A15B-B4819B03EF61.thumb.jpeg.a2548dab920ce16546ca94c6ec0375fa.jpeg25C9852F-9A90-4961-A64F-3827C4453A8D.thumb.jpeg.ad5a2d670ea77cc0ae9bb1686af8d586.jpeg70BD9CED-5A80-42A3-9F9D-A8376C2D7FB4.thumb.jpeg.3a661dd9258674c2ae4d0939a6278f88.jpeg89B2B620-1DB1-4F6C-B8CB-F19E11E98B75.thumb.jpeg.52eb5f076575c98da14349fc961dc73c.jpegFA0DFDC2-10BA-4275-8E75-08294B8DC6D6.thumb.jpeg.4a872bfae375be2b11c877885e77c335.jpeg

We reached the South coast and François stopped at lighthouse, where it was so windy that I could not stay outside - I was blown off balance twice, even with crutches! No pictures, I could not keep my hair out of my eyes, and I had two hoodies on!  Then he stopped at Diamond Beach, where icebergs wash up to the shore. We had fun identifying the different creatures we saw in them.

3AF6633C-E209-493D-9CC1-3CFEA9A92F44.thumb.jpeg.eba403df2f9645a2311ef4e5a88db862.jpeg7560D1AE-9769-4B8A-9734-91157D26D958.thumb.jpeg.ae43a099d57f4e42b75e99f4afd7e496.jpegB549F882-3C7D-469A-813E-33EB3F967DAD.thumb.jpeg.affde8c9c9b8b8fc64b06710afa9915b.jpeg

And we encountered a curious seal anxious for its video debut!

But the wind was again buffeting us and it drove us back to the minibus. 

We stopped for supper in Hofn at ZBistro known for its langostino dishes.  Though IMO it could never quite equal a similar dish with Maine lobster, I really enjoyed my langostino pasta dish. It was huge, and I ended up not being able to finish it. Their House Sauvignon Blanc was delightful. But not their cappuccino. It did not even taste like coffee. 😞Note: I could not leave my wine unfinished. 😎

72488BDB-B0FB-4F06-A313-EC45A238A79B.thumb.jpeg.d9635e56b2e2213890b2b89d6fde3539.jpeg

Our final stop - Hoffell Glacier World Guesthouse. From the parking lot we could view a nearby glacier, and watch their horses enjoy a last bit of play before heading in for the night. Though closed, the guesthouse has a room devoted to all things glacier, so I was hoping to visit before we left in the morning. 

967EB0D5-86DE-4DC8-B8B6-F61DA527AF28.thumb.jpeg.85eef7de2cfe66c1c8371c02fe36f604.jpeg6E30371A-9A4B-4CCA-86BE-3146BFACFB3B.thumb.jpeg.651d0fe10b45350e802bc8ad1f185c6e.jpeg

We got our keys and headed off to bed. Another shower before turning in. And another wonderful night of sleep. 

More to follow…

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 31

TGIF, Dailyites.  Nice collection of days.  The dinner looks really good.  My DD makes something  kind of the same and it's delicious.  For us, though, making carnitas from a big pork shoulder, along with salsa from the garden (peppers, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, Mexican oregano.)

DH brought home lots of avocados from our trees, so guacamole, too.  He also came home with several jars of honey from the bee boxes around the trees.  I wish I knew more about that operation, but that is handled by a professional bee keeper to pollinate the trees.  The resulting honey is really delicious.  🌶️  🍅  🥑  🐝

It's been fun to see how many people made impromptu Alaska bookings after following the lively threads about the first run.  Seems like it has gone great!  Minor hiccups, but beautiful cruise.  Hooray for that!

Many thanks to Rich and other Contributors for the Daily.  Prayers and virtual hugs for those on the Lists.  Have a great Friday All  😊  🌻 

• Like 20

Good morning everyone and Happy Friday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

This is just a quick hi because we are going to the early movie this morning for the Jungle Cruise. Our first movie theater in 18 months. The theater is walking distance from our house too. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 17

A foggy good morning to everyone here from the Oregon coast.

Sun may poke through but with close to 100 degrees in the valley today, I will be content with the fog.  

Great selections of days..especially cheesecake.  My father-in-law passed in January at the age of 99.  He was one special man and is missed by all in the family.  

Never been to Skagway and certainly enjoyed all the pictures.

Thanks to all who posted and take the time to make this a great daily read. 

Prayers and cheers to all.  Happy Friday.  

• Like 15

Good morning from a still dry Pacific NW.  Almost two months without measurable rain, but there should be thunderstorms in the mountains this weekend.  We visited a National Park building in Skagway where they keep records of the miners who came through in the 1890s gold rush.  My grandmother's two brothers came up from Seattle and I was able to find their names there.  The family recollection is that one of the brothers drowned in the Yukon River in a paddle boat accident.  The other brother was more fortunate.  Not sure if he found much gold, but when he couldn't book passage on the ship he wanted because it was overbooked, he caught the next one.  The one he missed sunk on the way back with a large loss of life. 

Ray 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mamaofami said:

We were on a severe tornado watch last night. Having no basement, Sam, the aide and I waited it out in the master bathroom. We were lucky and had no damage. Other places in New Jersey and Pennsylvania not so lucky.

Crazy weather lately.

Carol

We had a freak storm last night. Thunder and lightning lasted for over two hours with about 45 minutes of driving rain and wind. It was very impressive. Non stop lightning with flashes on top of flashes for the effect of a disco ball. There was no pause between strikes or flashes. The thunder grew to be a solid continuous roar much like a helicopter landing on the roof.  I had little damage but there are reports from all over town. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

It was a rough night and for awhile thought we might have to cancel our cruise.  I woke up to the smell of burning rubber.  After we did a search and couldn’t figure it out I called the fire department.  They arrived quickly after check the house thoroughly.  The finally determined that it was our freezer.  

Yikes!  That would have been scary and frightening.  Glad it was “just” the freezer.

2 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

We made it through the security check rather quickly.  Shuttle from Braintree to past security was about an hour.  

Have a smooth flight.  I know you will arrive dog tired but hope you catch up on your sleep to have a great cruise 🤞 Bon Voyage 🛳 

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

It’s a scorcher here in NW Fla. Under Excessive Heat Warning with Heat Index forecasted to be as high as 114F!🥵

Ugh.  Stay inside and safe please.

• Like 12