I tested positive for Covid on Adventure 7/24 Sailing

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Any idea just how long Royal will pay for these services before the cost is paid by the passenger who got covid. Can't think Royal will continue to pay for service like this.

Can't even imagine what the cost would be for something like this would be if you were on a cruise in Europe and lived in the United States?

The Covid Assistance plan expires Oct. 31. Check out the Healthy Sail page for details.

After that, travel insurance is your best bet, but few pay for quarantine specifically. There are some clauses that allow for reimbursement, but they may not cover all expenses. 

Don’t expect a private jet to get you home just because you test positive. Medical and evacuation are covered as any other illness if you need it, but even medical evacuation has to be approved first.

Most likely, you’d have to quarantine in a contracted hotel before testing negative so you could fly home commercially.

11 minutes ago, Babr said:

The Covid Assistance plan expires Oct. 31. Check out the Healthy Sail page for details.

After that, travel insurance is your best bet, but few pay for quarantine specifically. There are some clauses that allow for reimbursement, but they may not cover all expenses. 

Don’t expect a private jet to get you home just because you test positive. Medical and evacuation are covered as any other illness if you need it, but even medical evacuation has to be approved first.

Most likely, you’d have to quarantine in a contracted hotel before testing negative so you could fly home commercially.

Makes you wonder doesn't it if that October 31st date is subject to change once they open up more ships and have more and more many passengers coming down with covid and need assistance to  get home.

I see another requirement in the future when boarding to make sure everyone cruising has the correct insurance to cover All those kinds of costs if you have Covid and have to find your own way home.

Edited by Jimbo

7 hours ago, Coconut Crew said:

I’ve been seeing some posts about what it is like testing positive for Covid on Royal so I thought I’d share my experience.  Not looking for judgement but hoping to put at ease people who are wondering about the process.   I was on the Adventure of the Seas July 24th sailing out of Nassau...Hope this has been helpful....  

Very helpful, indeed! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with those who share a love for cruising! It’s been so insightful to see the different approaches by different lines. Royal Caribbean Group seems to go above and beyond when the real world scenario happens.

Was your husband put in a different room after your isolation (before his positive test), or allowed to stay in the original cabin during that time?

How will you retrieve your vehicle?

Prayers that all goes well with you and your family in the days ahead! Thanks again so much for taking the time to share.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Makes you wonder doesn't it if that October 31st date is subject to change once they open up more ships and have more and more many passengers coming down with covid and need assistance to  get home.

I think it is part of their agreement with the CDC to resume sailing. I expect that the need will continue, but it is speculation whether the cruise lines will continue it voluntarily. I don’t see how they can sustain the cost. That is why some cruise lines are requiring insurance now for the unvaccinated. Maybe all will be required to have it in the future.

• Like 1

After the latest goings on, I think we are almost getting to the point that both vaccinated and unvaccinated will be required to have that type of insurance.

I really believe that will be a requirement in the next 4 weeks. That will be the next ball to drop for cruising? That might be the final straw for some cruisers.

Got to think that type of insurance is really expensive and once the insurance companies know you need it to cruise the the price will just go up and up.

I guess we will see.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

I just wonder if any of them were actually sick with Covid.  Guess the only way to tell is to be tested for antibody.  I am really suspicious of these tests and their accuracy after hearing about so many false positives!  They didn't sound symptomatic at all!  If it were me, I think I'd demand the antibody test and if it was negative deal with the cruise line about it.

Of course I feel the culprit in the whole fiasco is and always was the CDC.

Now I think it would be handy to have both PCR and Rapid Antigen tests done at same time, might be worth it.  Not sure I'd want to trust just the Rapid test in such a tight time frame before our cruise.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Got to think that type of insurance is really expensive and once the insurance companies know you need it to cruise the the price will just go up and up.

I guess we will see.

And if insurance companies label cruising as a high risk activity the price will go even higher. Two med evacs the same week from one ship sailing at 1/3 capacity. My insurance policy is the refundable deposits that I paid extra for.

4 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I just wonder if any of them were actually sick with Covid.  Guess the only way to tell is to be tested for antibody.  I am really suspicious of these tests and their accuracy after hearing about so many false positives!  They didn't sound symptomatic at all!  If it were me, I think I'd demand the antibody test and if it was negative deal with the cruise line about it.

Of course I feel the culprit in the whole fiasco is and always was the CDC.

Now I think it would be handy to have both PCR and Rapid Antigen tests done at same time, might be worth it.  Not sure I'd want to trust just the Rapid test in such a tight time frame before our cruise.

They were vaccinated. They had better have antibodies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Docbizarro said:

Once you were delivered home, were you required to not leave your residence? Or at that point were you free to do what you wanted? I’m curious because of the test being required for return to the US, what kind of restrictions does the country put on you upon returning?

In the united states there is no way to enforce that. Honor system and thats it

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I see another requirement in the future when boarding to make sure everyone cruising has the correct insurance to cover All those kinds of costs if you have Covid and have to find your own way home.

Highly doubtful it will be required. They will just let you know you are responsible for all costs after the fact. They would lose too much business to require that. Im sure they have already determined cost/benefit of requiring that and decided against it. I would be shocked if it became required for vax guests. I wouldnt be going.

Wow, that is an experience of a lifetime.  I would be p___ed. not knowing where or how I contacted it.

I'm vaxxed and claustrophobic and don't know how I would handle a small jet.  When I traveled for business, my first option was the equipment and everything else was secondary. 

Unfortunately, more & more vaccinated are being diagnosed as positive.  The Yankees were 87% vaxxed and yet a bunch of them tested positive.  Don Mattingly (x Yankee) manager of the FL Marlins was vaxxed and tested positive.  I could go on, but.

If more and more of these events unfold, the vaccines themselves will be questioned and create a credibility problem.

I'm scheduled to sail on Oasis Sept. 5th and I better check with my CC company to see if these types of events are covered under their trip interruption clause.

2 minutes ago, nelblu said:

If more and more of these events unfold, the vaccines themselves will be questioned and create a credibility problem.

The vaccines are definitely working.  It turns covid into the common cold. But unfortunately a positive test is still treated with kid gloves.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I was enticed to cruise with the double points offering but now i think i will wait a year to book anything if i decide i want to cruise again. I have a double shot of Pfizer and somehow dont feel as protected as i once thought. Why take a chance , i can wait .

• Like 1

I am curioius how many of the positive cases on cruise ships had symptoms... vs a positive test as part of return procedure.. Of those that were tested after going to the medical center because they were symptomatic... how sick were they... did they have symptoms like a cold and go to get tested out of an abundance of caution or did they feel ill and were also looking for treatment.  I am honestly not sure how to react to all this...   Curious how many who tested positive flew vs drove to port... in this case it sounds like they drove.

I am very happy the OP posted his experience... there have been so many threads wondering about the procedures for Covid and whether there actually were any and why they weren't publicized.. Sounds like they would fill a binder and I am sure it varies some depending upon where the ship is located at the time.  So while it has been a long time since cruising was able to restart... we can now see that quite a lot of work was done to address the issues raised when sailing was halted. 

• Like 2

I think my worst nightmare would be flying in a small jet for a few hours. I hate flying and I would be worried about the planes they are using to transport people back. 

Is there a reason why you can’t stay in your cabin until the end of the trip? They could keep a crew member outside the door 

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

I am curioius how many of the positive cases on cruise ships had symptoms... vs a positive test as part of return procedure.. Of those that were tested after going to the medical center because they were symptomatic... how sick were they... did they have symptoms like a cold and go to get tested out of an abundance of caution or did they feel ill and were also looking for treatment.  I am honestly not sure how to react to all this...   Curious how many who tested positive flew vs drove to port... in this case it sounds like they drove.

I am very happy the OP posted his experience... there have been so many threads wondering about the procedures for Covid and whether there actually were any and why they weren't publicized.. Sounds like they would fill a binder and I am sure it varies some depending upon where the ship is located at the time.  So while it has been a long time since cruising was able to restart... we can now see that quite a lot of work was done to address the issues raised when sailing was halted. 

I don't recall any reports of anyone testing positive on a ship and having anything worse than a cold. Most so far have been asymptomatic. One person on Edge last week self-reported symptoms (since they really push that if you have any cold symptom, report it to the nurse to be tested) but still only had minor symptoms.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The vaccines are definitely working.  It turns covid into the common cold. But unfortunately a positive test is still treated with kid gloves.

Quarantined is considered treated with kid gloves.  How would you have handled this situation.

Just wondering, what are the CDC protocols when you vacation outside the USA.  

1 hour ago, Babr said:

I wonder how much travel insurance will cost that includes emergency private transportation home in the very likely event that you test positive while on a cruise.....or if it will even be available while we're still under an official world wide pandemic. Might just become cost prohibitive.......if that happens Royal will have to continue to eat the cost if they want people to cruise. 

Quarantining in a contracted hotel sounds like a more viable option financially speaking but once again, who will pay and who has that amount of time to give up?? I know I don't.....

No one knows yet.......

Edited by Mapleleafforever
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Right or wrong, when skeptics see that lifestyle wise nothing will improve for them by getting the shots as the vaxxed and unvaxxed become treated alike, they will just dig in their heels about getting vaccinated and our problems will continue. If RCI is going to continue to allow the unvaxxed to sail then it needs to continue to have clear distinctions between the two groups or it might find itself with a problem attracting more and more of the unvaxxed while the vaccinated look elsewhere for a more "normal" cruise experience.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Quarantining in a contracted hotel sounds like a more viable option financially speaking but once again, who will pay and who has that amount of time to give up?? I know I don't.....

No one knows yet.......

And everyone assumes it is a quarentine of a couple of weeks. If they end up requiring a negative test the lock up could go much, much longer.

• Like 3