August 8th allure

28 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

So does this mean if anyone over 12 on ship is unvaccinated, thatvthe ship will be turned away?

How does RCI reconcile the St. Thomas requirement with Fl's rules on not requiring vaccinations?

Months ago I said the islands might not let unvaccinated ships make port. It will be interesting to see what happens if, and when, more islands get on board with this. The cruise lines can't just do loads of cruises to no where. Aren't they illegal?

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

How does RCI reconcile the St. Thomas requirement with Fl's rules on not requiring vaccinations?

Months ago I said the islands might not let unvaccinated ships make port. It will be interesting to see what happens if, and when, more islands get on board with this. The cruise lines can't just do loads of cruises to no where. Aren't they illegal?

Carnival and Celebrity are sailing under essentially the same requirements, but Royal doesn't have to limit the under 12 passengers like they do. If they haven't been slapped by FL I don't see how they'd have a leg to stand on to go after Royal which is letting any and every under 12 on as long as parents are vax.

Unless I've missed where Carnival and Celebrity are letting on a lot of unvax over 12 in the 5%.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

How does RC deal with this?  By not stopping at St Thomas.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jrapps said:

You are assuming this only applies to Aug 8th and that Royal intends to remove USVI ports from future sailings outside of FL. We have yet to see if that is the case.

I'm certainly hoping so.  I'm on the Aug. 22 Allure, am fully vaccinated, but not recognized as such due to mixed vaccines, so if the Allure goes to St. Thomas, we can't go on the cruise.  Sucks because I was going to jump thru all the hoops and travel as unvaccinated.  We just paid $3000 for flights and now this.

4 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

I'm certainly hoping so.  I'm on the Aug. 22 Allure, am fully vaccinated, but not recognized as such due to mixed vaccines, so if the Allure goes to St. Thomas, we can't go on the cruise.  Sucks because I was going to jump thru all the hoops and travel as unvaccinated.  We just paid $3000 for flights and now this.

Could you get a second vaccine in the next few days for one or the other of what you've had to meet the requirements?

4 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

I'm just not sure why they would go thru all the headache and hoops to keep the port, require vaccinations, refunds to those not vaccinated, etc, and then on future sailings remove the port. They could just as easily (if not more easily) removed the port from the Aug 8th sailing. They change ports last minute all the time. The fact that they didn't makes it seem they intend to keep it in the long run.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Majorleague said:

Hi. When you were on Celebrity you had to test in St Maarten? Do you think there will be something like that for us to get off the ship there? Thanks. 

Yes, we had to test before arriving initially in St. Maarten and then when cruise ended we had to test before leaving the ship.  So it seems like testing will be required before our visit there on the Allure.

16 hours ago, jacobtsf said:

I am on the Allure Aug 22, and am following this closely (hoping this rule sticks for our sailing), this is the message that was sent out for those on the 8th. 

69A4E8B1-3352-4B18-91D3-7320F10A4D29.jpeg

I thought so, the key words here are Allowed ENTRY into St. Thomas.  Staying aboard is the option, wouldn't bother me at all, been there done that.  BUt then RCCL says they want proof too, thought they couldn't in Florida!  Rtd.

Edited by BecciBoo

Just now, FTD said:

Yes, we had to test before arriving initially in St. Maarten and then when cruise ended we had to test before leaving the ship.  So it seems like testing will be required before our visit there on the Allure.

Don't you think they would/should have told us that with the addition of that port? 

Assuming i'm looking at the right port schedule site for St Thomas, Allure is not on the schedule until Sep so wondering if they already removed Allure from St Thomas at least in Aug so far. It was strange wording in the email to begin with since it really doesn't say what's going to happen with the stop overall.

6 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I thought so, the key words here are Allowed ENTRY into St. Thomas.  Staying aboard is the option, wouldn't bother me at all, been there done that.  BUt then RCCL says they want proof too, thought they couldn't in Florida!  Rtd.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but i read it to be that they won't allow the ship entry meaning they can't dock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I never would have thought of that.😏 What happens as more islands get in this band wagon?

If enough islands say no you might just end up with Cruises to Perfect Day, Labadee and Mexico for RC.  Other lines might not be as lucky as they do not have 2 private islands.  

If it actually gets to that point cruises come to a halt again as they have no where to sail too.

7 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but i read it to be that they won't allow the ship entry meaning they can't dock.

That is how I read it.  They don't want the ship in port if anyone on board has not been vaccinated.  They want to lessen their risk.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Nonsense.  Just can't go ashore in St. Thomas.  Go, you won't miss much!

Unfortunately it doesn't work this way. A ship has to meet port requirements to be allowed entry to dock. If USVI requires vaccines, then they wont let the ship dock if there are unvaccinated passengers. What if someone isn't "planning" to get off the ship, but then has to due to an emergency. 

This isn't a comment about whether it is right or wrong, just the way it is.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

Agree. “Ship” being the key word. Just my opinion but RCL might welcome this. They can now sail almost fully vax. Also, you take St Thomas off the table and they are running out of places to stop in the eastern carib. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Majorleague said:

Agree. “Ship” being the key word. Just my opinion but RCL might welcome this. They can now sail almost fully vax. Also, you take St Thomas off the table and they are running out of places to stop in the eastern carib. 

So curious as to how this will be viewed. Will RCCL be allowed to get around the FL law because of the island requirement or will the requirements of the destination trump the law? My gut is the FL law would win and RCCL would be expected to change the destination but who knows... Considering the FL law in place now it would have been nice if RCCL added some more detail to their email as to what that all meant for the itinerary or passenger population.

17 hours ago, mauraoel said:

It took one of the islands long enough.  This is basically what Royal needed to be able to require vaccines without violating the law.  Now if one of the western island would do the same.

omg! I said the same thing yesterday... come on bahamas!

24 minutes ago, Cruiser1976 said:

So curious as to how this will be viewed. Will RCCL be allowed to get around the FL law because of the island requirement or will the requirements of the destination trump the law? My gut is the FL law would win and RCCL would be expected to change the destination but who knows... Considering the FL law in place now it would have been nice if RCCL added some more detail to their email as to what that all meant for the itinerary or passenger population.

I realize that the USVI is not a "state", but it is a US territory.

When states have laws that conflict with one another, Federal Law takes precedent. Does federal law take precedent here? Well that is for the courts to decide. Many on this forum have said all along that this law can not apply to cruise ships as federal maritime laws take precedent.

Only time will tell.