Xray Scanning Machines for Edge Embark

Robkat

Don't know if anyone will have the answer to this,  but if there is someone who knows, I'm sure this is where we'll find you!

We've been reading all the wonderful reviews of these first start up cruises on the Edge.

One new (to us) thing we've learned is that we're able to, upon boarding, immediately head to our cabin and drop off bags.  THis is making us consider hauling on our own main suitcases, rather than dropping them with the porters, and then have to wait until they're delivered.

So ... does anyone know the dimensions of the luggage openings for the X-ray scanner machines?  Our plan to carry on our luggage will be scuppered from the start if the openings won't accommodate our suitcases, which, although not massive, or definitely larger than small carry-on bags.

Hoping one of the number wonks on this forum has this info! 🤞

Edited by Robkat
Typo

EM - Thanks for the reply ... we figured that too.  However, we've never carried on our current suitcases, have always checked them before a flight.

Hoping someone will have the specific dimensions to see if these will get through.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robkat said:

EM - Thanks for the reply ... we figured that too.  However, we've never carried on our current suitcases, have always checked them before a flight.

Hoping someone will have the specific dimensions to see if these will get through.

I'm guessing the only way you'll be sure to get 100% accurate, specific dimensions is to call the port and ask them.  Of course, you may get lucky and someone will reply with, for example, "my 29" suitcase went through no problem"!

3 minutes ago, jcpc said:

Of course, you may get lucky and someone will reply with, for example, "my 29" suitcase went through no problem"!

This is what I'm hoping for!!  😂😂🍀🍀

5 minutes ago, ymncruise said:

My eagle tarmac 25” fit through without any problems. 

Do you happen to know offhand what the width of your bag is?  I think our suitcases are 28", but thinking about it, I believe that's for the length.  It seems like the concern might be about how wide a bag is, and that would dictate whether it would go through or not.  

Your answer is heartening though!!! 

9 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

I fear that it would be a huge hassle if you drag your full-size suitcases up to the scanners and they are rejected and you would have to go all the way back down to street level to check them in with a porter.

WLG:  You are exactly right!  And that's why I'm trying to get specific dimensions before we make the decision to try it.  

I dislike the hassle of lugging those full size bags around, but when I heard that we could drop them right off in the cabin, I remembered how much I also dislike waiting on getting luggage delivered!!!  So, if it's possible to get them through those scanners, we'd put up with a small inconvenience for the reward of having them with us.

Edited by Robkat

41 minutes ago, Robkat said:

Don't know if anyone will have the answer to this,  but if there is someone who knows, I'm sure this is where we'll find you!

We've been reading all the wonderful reviews of these first start up cruises on the Edge.

One new (to us) thing we've learned is that we're able to, upon boarding, immediately head to our cabin and drop off bags.  THis is making us consider hauling on our own main suitcases, rather than dropping them with the porters, and then have to wait until they're delivered.

So ... does anyone know the dimensions of the luggage openings for the X-ray scanner machines?  Our plan to carry on our luggage will be scuppered from the start if the openings won't accommodate our suitcases, which, although not massive, or definitely larger than small carry-on bags.

Hoping one of the number wonks on this forum has this info! 🤞

Do yourself a favor; CHECK THEM AT THE PORT, hey, you're on vacation, don't worry about your luggage not being delivered on a timely manner; they'll get there!  Why burden yourself with carrying luggage on vacation!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

My hard side fits.  24 " x 11" x 18".

Not a lot of room to spare, but have never had a problem,  or a refusal by shoreside staff to allow it. 

EDL:  Thank you!  👍👍 Next stop: guest bedroom to compare these dimensions with ours.  

6 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

You understand that you can only access your cabin  to drop off belongings and get your key card. You can’t unpack until after 1 or 1:30 or whatever time you get complete access.

We do.  I'm not obsessive about getting the unpacking done, but I love knowing that our bags are safe and securely waiting for us, tucked away in the closet.  We have no problem just dropping the bags off and getting out of the way for the room steward to finish up.

9 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I for one would hate to be dodging lots of people trying to drag their luggage through the terminal and onboard the ship.   Please just drop luggage off with the porters.

w2c:  Never fear ... if we are able to ensure that our bags would go through the scanners, and if we do decide to bring them on with us, we are very "tidy" and considerate travelers.  We make sure that we're not infringing on or bumping into others, or getting in their way.  

This isn't something we're considering for all of our future cruises, but in the instance where we can drop our luggage right into our cabins, we just thought it would be a nice change not to be waiting on delivery.

1 minute ago, Robkat said:

We do.  I'm not obsessive about getting the unpacking done, but I love knowing that our bags are safe and securely waiting for us, tucked away in the closet.  We have no problem just dropping the bags off and getting out of the way for the room steward to finish up.

When we cruise on the Edge. We did go to our suite and drop off our carry on bags. Just because I dropped the bags in the suite does not mean the cabin will remain closed. Our suite door would stay open until the attendant was done with our suite. So your bags will not be secure. It will be a hit or miss on whether your cabin will be ready for you to closed the door.

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Measure your suitcases and ask Port Everglades whether they will fit. Specify which terminal, as the equipment might not be identical.

PortEvergladesCruise@broward.org

Good suggestion, and we'll  keep it in mind if we get enthusiastic about doing this.  However, I can just picture the representative at PE rolling their eyes when I ask them to look up this info for me!  🙄🙄😂😂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

When we cruise on the Edge. We did go to our suite and drop off our carry on bags. Just because I dropped the bags in the suite does not mean the cabin will remain closed. Our suite door would stay open until the attendant was done with our suite. So your bags will not be secure. It will be a hit or miss on whether your cabin will be ready for you to closed the door.

This is a very good point for us to consider.  

Of course, we'd put the suitcases into the closet and close those doors, but ... as you say, it's definitely something  we need to know and think about.

Thanks for making this point.

I plan on doing this in a month on my 4 nt. Summitt sailing.  We will only have a couple carry-on size bags.  I'm really not concerned that someone would walk into my empty room and take them anymore than I am about having them sit in the hallway outside my room if I check them.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Not sure what cabin category you have booked…but Edge’s closets are very small…

HH:  We're in a Sunset Verandah.  But these suitcases aren't huge, they're just larger than the typical carry-on.  So, we wouldn't have a problem fitting them inside a closed closet.  

I personally don’t see an issue with your suitcase being in an open SR. These ships are very safe and few issues with theft, so I’d not put that up as a real concern.

But I’ll be straightforward in that our luggage has been brought to our SRs prior to dinner on any cruise I can think of. So, not sure what the concern is if the OP isn’t worried about unpacking early. But just my view of not overloading myself with brining on my carry-on And my checked baggage. And you realize you are the one who will be picking it up and putting it on the conveyer. Right? Even with the one medium size check-in and two small carry ones we use, I’m not interested in lugging all the pieces through check-in lines, going on board and running it up the extended walkway to the ship, taking it through all the people standing having their welcome aboard drinks, getting on an elevator when lots are coming on too and so on.

Just sounds like a real hassle. But that’s lazy me!

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1