Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

They do just have vaccinated people onboard with a very small percentage of people that aren't vaccinated only due to a medical or religious contraindication, which is a very small percentage ... like .13% on the cruise I was on a week ago.  I guess the problem is, the Delta variant is popping up in those that are fully vaccinated so, they are trying to curb those transmissions.  

I did read that if you are doing a B2B, Princess will test you in between sailings for no charge.  It almost makes the B2B worth it, doesn't it?  

We are on 7 seven day B2Bs in Jan/Feb 2022.  More time wasted on turnaround day.  The question is, what are the chances (for all those gamblers out there) we would not get the Delta and be shown as positive and be sent home?  I really didn't want to spend 42 days in our room, even if it has a balcony.

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The masks are one thing but the tests are just putting everyone into a tizzy.  I'm sure hoping Princess is reading this and hopefully they can come up with a partnership with a testing company so we can all do this at home via a zoom call or facetime.  

It's all probably going to work out just fine but it is sure creating some undue anxiety due to the unknown, a big one being, the delay in test results that are happening just about everywhere.  

Nothing with covid has worked out.  It is a total mess and seems to be getting messier.  

• Like 1

Just putting it out there...So you get the covid shot, you may get the variant but may not even show symptoms but test positive and have to leave the ship, while all these years, they let people sick hacking and coughing all over and did nothing.  If everyone has the covid shot, then they should be fine.  Only people who are experiencing issues should be dealt with.  

It seems everyone on the ship or a high percentage will get the variant being so close, so what are we all supposed to do?

29 minutes ago, Pamster said:

Princess would need to acquire thousands of test kits and machines to run the tests and personnel to do the tests. Not sure that’s even possible. 

It is 100% possible in the UK because Princess is having the tests performed for 100% of the embarking passengers at Southampton.

Of course it is contracted out, not actually done by Princess personnel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There is one Walgreens in Southern California (Fountain Valley) but getting an appointment is next to impossible (none).  ID NOW 

Just did a mock run.  1 appointment available tomorrow afternoon (only can book for next two days).

This is becoming a keystone cops fiasco.

There's one near us. Check for appts. It's a drive, but hey, we could do lunch.😁

2 hours ago, mellon1 said:

We too were worried about the new phone and the medallion and now this testing before we board and were to go and who to trust that it is approved site.  Way too much stress.  My husband wants to just forget it all and not go, especially because of the masks.  I really want to go.  We are driving, so it will take us 2 days to get there driving so we will have to stay extra days in Florida too with the testing.  

When is vacation going to get back to being relaxing and stressfree?

Plus, you're going to the current "hot bed" for Covid.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 8:06 PM, CeCe_ said:

Anyone got a call from Princess Corporate office?  I got a call today wanting to get some feedback in regard to my cancellations.

I haven't received any yet. Maybe since you canceled more than one cruise? 

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Some of the BinexNow tests are home testing kits, which will not be accepted as the tests have to be medically supervised.  Too bad ... that would make life a lot easier.  

Walgreens offers the rapid antigen test but the closest one to us here in San Francisco is in Oregon.  Really??  It's not like we are out in the sticks.  

I believe if you check the Princess website they are now accepting the at home test but must be supervised via zoom or similar 

22 minutes ago, caribill said:

It is 100% possible in the UK because Princess is having the tests performed for 100% of the embarking passengers at Southampton.

With the increase in testing going on in the US. And all the ships sailing out of Seattle. It’s just possible that Princess was not able to arrange that. 

on the other hand I do think there would be just as many complaints if people had to get tested at the pier. Especially once people were denied boarding after traveling to get there and then what do they do?  Quarantine in Seattle?  Who pays for that?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

Perhaps I worded it badly. I was referring to UK Insurers rather than cruises from the UK.

Sorry - I still don't understand your point. If someone  arrives in the UK,  and then goes on a cruise 48 hours later,  how will anyone know that they were on a flight with someone with, possibly,  CV19? 

And where does insurance come into your scenario?

37 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Just putting it out there...So you get the covid shot, you may get the variant but may not even show symptoms but test positive and have to leave the ship, while all these years, they let people sick hacking and coughing all over and did nothing.  If everyone has the covid shot, then they should be fine.  Only people who are experiencing issues should be dealt with.  

It seems everyone on the ship or a high percentage will get the variant being so close, so what are we all supposed to do?

Good point. And what about those who test negative and are then infected on their travel to the ship?  They show up with symptoms on day 3. What did that negative test prove?

23 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

There's one near us. Check for appts. It's a drive, but hey, we could do lunch.😁

I'm good.  Going to CVS before my next trip "home". (not required).  Are you sure your Walgreens has ID NOW rapid test?  Almost every drive through Walgreens has 3 day PCR test.  

12 minutes ago, Pamster said:

With the increase in testing going on in the US. And all the ships sailing out of Seattle. It’s just possible that Princess was not able to arrange that. 

on the other hand I do think there would be just as many complaints if people had to get tested at the pier. Especially once people were denied boarding after traveling to get there and then what do they do?  Quarantine in Seattle?  Who pays for that?  

Annecdotal evidence is that only one or two people have tested positive at Southampton. Not surprising given tge vaccine uptake. If you test positive, you go home. No need for quarantine.  

It seems to me that, if they really wanted to, Princess could set up a pier testing facility by the end of August. It just needs money. If they can do it in the UK,  why can't they do it in the US?

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Plus, you're going to the current "hot bed" for Covid.

And we are staying 4 nights there in Florida.  I booked ahead as I figured this would all roll out like this and told my husband I did not want to fly as you can't get away from anyone for the entire time.  Covid is droplets and truth is it can get in your eyes too.  Our plan was to not have holidays/etc and not see anyone and mask up if we had to go anywhere before "driving" to Florida.  Two days.  I would pack food we could eat on the way and we would have to stop for bathroom break.  We paid for a room with a kitchen so I will bring food we can eat.  It is on the beach and we have a door so we will leave it open and be outside on the beach, bringing my own loungers that I will leave behind.  This would give us time to get our testing done if needed.  On the cruise we have a mini-suite with a balcony and we were planning to do room service or grab something from the burger/pizza area, quick and easy.  We would still eat in the dining room but wanted to try to get a table with just us and not right on top of another couple as they usually do.  We thought we would be safe.  We did not want to have to mask up on upper pool decks.  We didn't care if we got off at ports, as we have been there multiple times.  I hate the idea of having my hopes up so much and then to be crushed because of something that is inevitable to happen on a cruise ship or anywhere someone goes.  It is no different than getting the flu, cold or noro is is probably going to happen.  I feel if they sail with 100% vaccinated, then there shouldn't be issues of anyone getting really sick, but as I understand it too, if so many people have it, then it is just like noro cruise and they have to come back to port.  I heard that somewhere.  Don't ask where because I don't remember, it may have been on this site.  CDC has guidelines for them to follow I am sure of it.

I feel bad for the older folks who have been planning to spend their retirement cruising and doing things now that they have time and money to spend and now can't do it and time is going by.  We are not young, but older and I just feel life is going by and we aren't doing all the things we should and it upsets me.  There are so many rules and they have taken away much more from all of us, as time is something that can't be bought or put on hold.  It doesn't stop for anyone and you never get it back.  There is no reverse.  Maybe I am the only one feeling this way, but I just want to start living again and have things get back to normal.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Pamster said:

Good point. And what about those who test negative and are then infected on their travel to the ship?  They show up with symptoms on day 3. What did that negative test prove?

Exactly.  Thanks for picking up on what I was putting down!  It is like putting a Bandaid on a gunshot wound.  Not going to work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caribill said:

I don't think it is possible anywhere when one of the ships has over 6,000 or more passengers and how many are in the port on the weekends????  The tests will probably not be available or have staff to adminster even offsite, like Walgreens.

14 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

And we are staying 4 nights there in Florida.  I booked ahead as I figured this would all roll out like this and told my husband I did not want to fly as you can't get away from anyone for the entire time.  Covid is droplets and truth is it can get in your eyes too.  Our plan was to not have holidays/etc and not see anyone and mask up if we had to go anywhere before "driving" to Florida.  Two days.  I would pack food we could eat on the way and we would have to stop for bathroom break.  We paid for a room with a kitchen so I will bring food we can eat.  It is on the beach and we have a door so we will leave it open and be outside on the beach, bringing my own loungers that I will leave behind.  This would give us time to get our testing done if needed.  On the cruise we have a mini-suite with a balcony and we were planning to do room service or grab something from the burger/pizza area, quick and easy.  We would still eat in the dining room but wanted to try to get a table with just us and not right on top of another couple as they usually do.  We thought we would be safe.  We did not want to have to mask up on upper pool decks.  We didn't care if we got off at ports, as we have been there multiple times.  I hate the idea of having my hopes up so much and then to be crushed because of something that is inevitable to happen on a cruise ship or anywhere someone goes.  It is no different than getting the flu, cold or noro is is probably going to happen.  I feel if they sail with 100% vaccinated, then there shouldn't be issues of anyone getting really sick, but as I understand it too, if so many people have it, then it is just like noro cruise and they have to come back to port.  I heard that somewhere.  Don't ask where because I don't remember, it may have been on this site.  CDC has guidelines for them to follow I am sure of it.

I feel bad for the older folks who have been planning to spend their retirement cruising and doing things now that they have time and money to spend and now can't do it and time is going by.  We are not young, but older and I just feel life is going by and we aren't doing all the things we should and it upsets me.  There are so many rules and they have taken away much more from all of us, as time is something that can't be bought or put on hold.  It doesn't stop for anyone and you never get it back.  There is no reverse.  Maybe I am the only one feeling this way, but I just want to start living again and have things get back to normal.  

You are not the only one feeling this way. My husband and I love to cruise and this almost 2 years is the longest we’ve gone without cruising since we took our first Alaskan cruise and fell in love with it. We were scheduled for the March cruise last year that got canceled on the day of embarkation We’ve been anxious to start cruising again but wanted to see how it went for other cruises. 

We were scheduled for the first cruise out of LA in September but that was canceled with all the other Ruby cruises. Now we have October 30 2021 booked. Neither one of us would handle even a mild case of Covid. And the last thing I want to do is get either of us sick because we want to cruise so badly. Now  with the delta being more contagious, and the increased requirement for testing and masking, we’re seriously considering canceling. It’s a real bummer. We are are a point where we can afford cruising more often, but probably won’t be able to cruise for much longer. So to lose this time is upsetting. 

48 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I'm good.  Going to CVS before my next trip "home". (not required).  Are you sure your Walgreens has ID NOW rapid test?  Almost every drive through Walgreens has 3 day PCR test.  

Depends on which state you live in. My walgreens does both PCR and Rapid.  Rapis results come to you email in 20-30 min.  Princess accepts either test

Edited by AF-1

43 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Annecdotal evidence is that only one or two people have tested positive at Southampton. Not surprising given tge vaccine uptake. If you test positive, you go home. No need for quarantine.  

Likely will be more as the delta strain becomes even more prevalent. So people who have traveled to the port now have to make arrangements for an immediate return home. Whose going to pay for that?  

And I do think that there would be a similar thread about complaints about testing at the pier if Princess went that direction. At least with testing at home you don’t go through the preparation and travel for a cruise you might not get to take. 

5 minutes ago, Pamster said:

It’s a real bummer. We are are a point where we can afford cruising more often, but probably won’t be able to cruise for much longer. So to lose this time is upsetting. 

That's where we are too. No way of telling whether we'll be able to cruise two more years or ten more years. We had to cancel an RV trip due to heat and wildfires, and how many more years we have left for RV travel I surely don't know. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pamster said:

Likely will be more as the delta strain becomes even more prevalent. So people who have traveled to the port now have to make arrangements for an immediate return home. Whose going to pay for that?  

And I do think that there would be a similar thread about complaints about testing at the pier if Princess went that direction. At least with testing at home you don’t go through the preparation and travel for a cruise you might not get to take. 

But, by testing at the pier,  you are screening at the last possible minute. If you test positive,  Princess credit you for the price of the cruise,  and your insurance covers you  for other expenses.  Simple! 

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

I don't think it is possible anywhere when one of the ships has over 6,000 or more passengers and how many are in the port on the weekends????  The tests will probably not be available or have staff to adminster even offsite, like Walgreens.

And yet NCL is doing preboarding testing in Seattle through a partnership with CVS. And Princess is testing all passengers at the port for their European cruises. Cruisers are being tested before boarding in Southhampton and in Athens. It isn't impossible at all. If Princess wanted to make it work for their passengers they could. It's not some impossibly high bar. They have just made the decision not to do so. 

Edited by TinaLee
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

And yet NCL is doing preboarding testing in Seattle through a partnership with CVS. And Princess is testing all passengers at the port for their European cruises. Cruisers are being tested before boarding in Southhampton and in Athens. It isn't impossible at all. If Princess wanted to make it work for their passengers they could. It's not some impossibly high bar. They have just made the decision not to do so. 

I did not know that.  Thanks for the info.  How many ships do they have going out of those ports though?  In Ft. Lauderdale on Sat/Sun all the slots are filled at Port Everglades.  That would be a lot of tests.  I question the availability of the tests and people available to administer them.   That would create a huge bottleneck I would think, maybe that is why they are not doing it there?  

I thought you could be exposed and the virus doesn't show up right away.  So, here you are testing all these people who have been in the airport around people who come from all over and boarding the ship same day they are flying and the virus isn't showing up in the test.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

I did not know that.  Thanks for the info.  How many ships do they have going out of those ports though?  In Ft. Lauderdale on Sat/Sun all the slots are filled at Port Everglades.  That would be a lot of tests.  I question the availability of the tests and people available to administer them.   That would create a huge bottleneck I would think, maybe that is why they are not doing it there?  

I thought you could be exposed and the virus doesn't show up right away.  So, here you are testing all these people who have been in the airport around people who come from all over and boarding the ship same day they are flying and the virus isn't showing up in the test.  

I agree and fully agree that you're more likely to be exposed on your way to the port, so I have to say I think testing 3 days ahead is a bit of a waste, but I do agree that masking indoors in crowds might help. Our Alaska cruise will be trying to sail at 100% capacity, and she's a big girl, so I'd just as soon everyone be masked indoors. Out of Seattle, for the most part, one ship per day is leaving the port. Sometimes you might have two, with one being a small ship like Silver Seas, I don't know how they would make it work in Florida for multiple reasons (and I live here). As things ramp up, it's going to get more and more complicated. 

3 hours ago, Pamster said:

Especially once people were denied boarding after traveling to get there and then what do they do?  Quarantine in Seattle?  Who pays for that?  

Their CruiseHealth FAQ webpage answers those questions.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/

UPDATED: What if I test positive for COVID-19 at the terminal on embarkation day?

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts.

If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

Change fees and reasonable expenses related to shoreside medical care for COVID-19, shoreside quarantine and travel home for you and your immediate travel party will be covered by Princess if not reimbursable from medical insurance, travel protection plan or other responsible party.

Additionally, any shoreside meals will be covered through Princess by a per diem meal allowance, we will provide a dedicated Family Assistance liaison for care and logistical shoreside support, and provide assistance opening insurance claims for those guests who purchased travel protection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2