Sightseeing plane missing in Alaska.

GeorgeCharlie

This just brings tears to my eyes, I mourn for those that lost their lives, but also for those fellow passengers sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The rest of the cruise will be painfull. My heart goes out to the families of those that lost their lives as well as the crew on board the Nieuw Amsterdam. It is just so tragic 😢

• Like 17

1 hour ago, kazu said:

It’s sad.  I don’t think it makes a difference if it’s a HAL tour or a private one.  They use the same planes.

In many cases, the cruise lines negotiate exclusivity, such that the operators are highly motivated to only sell to the cruise lines or to non-cruising individuals, never independently to folks who "happen to be in town via the cruise ship".

We knew who the operator was for one of the whale watches, and wanted to arrange to go out twice, even though Princess didn't offer enough options to be able to do that through the cruise line (let alone it wouldn't be packaged as conveniently as if we simply stayed at the dock for the second tour). They couldn't commit until the day of the tour, and actually couldn't commit until we were out on the first tour, yet they made sure we had paper tickets in hand so we could pay as if we were taking another tour through the cruise line. That's how scared the tour operators are regarding being caught selling tours to cruise passengers outside the system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, peety3 said:

In many cases, the cruise lines negotiate exclusivity, such that the operators are highly motivated to only sell to the cruise lines or to non-cruising individuals, never independently to folks who "happen to be in town via the cruise ship".

We knew who the operator was for one of the whale watches, and wanted to arrange to go out twice, even though Princess didn't offer enough options to be able to do that through the cruise line (let alone it wouldn't be packaged as conveniently as if we simply stayed at the dock for the second tour). They couldn't commit until the day of the tour, and actually couldn't commit until we were out on the first tour, yet they made sure we had paper tickets in hand so we could pay as if we were taking another tour through the cruise line. That's how scared the tour operators are regarding being caught selling tours to cruise passengers outside the system.

I've scheduled three flightseeing trips out of Ketchikan while on cruises.  Never through the cruise line.  One was cancelled due to weather.  The other two were great trips on a de Havilland Beaver like the one that crashed today.  I believe the Beaver holds 5 passengers and the pilot.  The de Havilland Otter is a larger float plane that some companies operate. 

It is a risky excursion given the number of "incidents" over the years.  I fear the number will increase in the future if cruising gets back to normal.  Larger cruise ships and packed ports mean more demand for flightseeing.  That may attract less experienced operators to the area hoping to take advantage.  That worries me.

Edited by quack2

What a horrible tragedy; my heart goes out to the victims, their families, and everyone on the Nieuw Amsterdam. 

I took one of the float planes to Misty Fjords a couple years before the last disaster, the crash that killed 6. 

I remember how beautiful the trip was, but I remember we got an “older” looking plane than some of the others that went out that day, with yellowed, scratched windows, and I wondered at the safety of the whole thing.

One crash was too many; now there have been two fatal crashes in a very short period of time (and I think 1 before those as well).