If carnival truly cared they would lower capacity to 50%

pokerguy90

1 hour ago, bucfan2 said:

Spot on!  .2-.3% testing positive.....really??  Who honestly expected anything near these %'s?  If the protocols work/continue to work, cruising seems to have been very successful thus far to me.

Just sailed late July on an 8 day cruise and prior to leaving heard of small groups of reported Covid....the cruise I was on, well just saw a post crusie note that 10 to 12 reported covid on VAX people.

I do not believe Carnival is Transparent with any covid reporting, only when they got caught on the Vista.  True they might not of been notified, but with all the testing, I'm sure they had some crew and others test positive.  Heck the ship has been CDC Ship Status Yellow ever since sailing!

Saying that would I crusie again, yes, but my wife and I stayed to ourselves avoid contact with groups.  We masked up when we felt it needed.  Also washed and cleaned hands.

It was despicable to see people use the bathroom and walk out uncleansed.

So, no matter what the crowd, you will have party animals that throw caution to the wind, those that are the middle of the road, and those that practice caution and Covid common sense.

Face it, this isn't going to go away soon.....use common sense, but again, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

I hate crowds. I avoid them on cruises. Only time it's an issue is in a line for something.

But I always manage to keep away and avoid it

BTW, I am not a germophobe or anything, I just hate people....LOL

I agree people are the absolute worse lol....

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I have to disagree with you on that one.  On land, I'm not in close contact with 2000+ other people..

My guess you don't realize how many people you come in contact each day, compounded that they are not contained at one location, like a ship.  On land you have people contacting people with no common connection.  Also, 2000 is far less than 40,000 or 50,000 people at sporting events and I may be wrong but I haven't heard of a recent sporting event being a super spreader.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pokerguy90 said:

If carnival truly cared they would lower capacity to 50%.  They launched  with the highest passenger count of the restarts.  Now that numbers are rising due to Delta. Lowering pax capacity is the prudent thing to do.  They are headed for a breakout with the current level of guest capacity. Those numbers are proven with simple  math.  

I don't know this is sound logic- cruise lines with lower percentages are having cases as well. Not to mention Walmart's not doing half capacity or my local restaurants, why on vacation. Everyone is getting upset about a handful of cases but never mind in the town where you live in there were probably far more cases at church on Sunday before noon than on a ship during an entire week . Once again cruise ships are getting called out and censored as though they are the source of the virus and a major transmission source and it's just not true. In my area it was churches, funerals, weddings, gyms- top four and it that order during the past year. I don't mind the 70 percent number, don't mind 100 percent for that matter. We're masking now and testing and they're checking temps at the dock ect AND I'm vaccinated- it'll be fine. If Carnival and every other line were really concerned they'd do true 100% vaccinated cruises but that would mean no kids and families make up a large part of the passenger base and they're already mad. Even if they did exclude kids you get what? Six fewer Covid cases in Texas that week when the Vista pulls back in to port. Yeah, that'll save us all. 

• Like 4

If they cared about not having to worry about covid, they wouldn't allow unvaccinated on. If they cared, they would have had strict mask guidelines in place instead of the random stuff they put out. They would also end smoking on board. There are so many things they could or could have done but avoided it. Now, they have to be reactionary instead of proactively managing it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MMastell said:

At 50% capacity they could not survive. They would lose less money just shutting the3 ships down. They could survive if they increased the fares by 150% - 200%.  Then they would still fail because they couldn't get 50% capacity at that price.

You assume people would pay 150%-200%  fares.   They wouldn't.  They are have low cost  currently because people  currently will not book at  higher prices

5 hours ago, DGNewton said:

Just sailed late July on an 8 day cruise and prior to leaving heard of small groups of reported Covid....the cruise I was on, well just saw a post crusie note that 10 to 12 reported covid on VAX people.

I do not believe Carnival is Transparent with any covid reporting, only when they got caught on the Vista.  True they might not of been notified, but with all the testing, I'm sure they had some crew and others test positive.  Heck the ship has been CDC Ship Status Yellow ever since sailing!

You're going to believe whatever you want, but by law Carnival is required to report illnesses and deaths on the ship.

Carnival isn't responsible for passengers or luggage once it leaves the ship. If anyone was positive on the ship, I think it likely they were exposed before boarding or in one of the ports. I wouldn't be surprised if they failed to follow known mitigation methods.

48 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

If they reduce the pax to zero, the only infections could be from crew to crew.

If you go on the CDc website for cruise ships there are cruise ships in yellow with only crew onboard.. Just saying

Well I was on the Horizon on July 10. We were on the 2nd deck right down the hall from the closing. All I know is that the ship shops were closed because the fun shop clerk was sick..so they closed all shops. The deck was closed on the first Island Day.

Cruises have been happening in Europe since last summer with limited outbreaks even with no vaccinations. I think the level of vaccinations will protect most American cruisers and this will allow cruises to continue but if I am wrong and cruising is torpedeo by Delta then when it is finally over we will be lucky to have the Royal Carnival line with only a fraction of the ship sailing from North American. 

• Like 2

IF they really loved us, they would serve us at the buffet, and not let folks serve themselves.  Or give us gloves to serve ourselves.  The salads would be made to order with no salad bar, the cakes would be behind a counter, and you would have to order a piece.

The main dining room would have 4 seatings a night with no dining at your own time.  And the folks you sit with in the dining room would be your pals.  You would wear wrist bands based on your seating, and hang with those folks only.

These ideas are not new, they were tossed around by the cruise industry and the CDC months ago.

If we all loved ourselves we would have all been vaccinated months ago, ready to get on that ship now. 

Ray98, we are not scared to live.  We just don't want to die at this time if we can help ourselves to not do so.

We are all on this site because we love cruising, and we want to stay in touch with the idea of being on a ship.  Although we mostly speculate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 9:41 PM, pokerguy90 said:

If carnival truly cared they would lower capacity to 50%.  They launched  with the highest passenger count of the restarts.  Now that numbers are rising due to Delta. Lowering pax capacity is the prudent thing to do.  They are headed for a breakout with the current level of guest capacity. Those numbers are proven with simple  math.  

How do you know that Carnival is the highest? I cant find that information anywhere

On 8/6/2021 at 9:41 PM, pokerguy90 said:

I know that businesses care.. That is why we return again and again and again. Carnival just like any other business has to make money.. It is a very cheap vacation. We always have a great. the positive numbers are low. The overreaction by the CDC is ridiculous. Carnival is doing a great job .

Bobbi

• Like 4

12 hours ago, 14nascarfan said:

Go on. CDC website! Horizon and Mardi Gras now has investigations!!!

In total, the CDC is monitoring or investigating twenty-five cruise ships in U.S. waters for COVID-19, which is around 40% of the total of sixty-four cruise ship operating or about to sail into U.S. waters.  Of course, this total does not include ships outside of U.S. waters where the CDC does not have jurisdiction.  

One issue with sailing at 50% capacity that I didn't notice mentioned above is what if the cruise is already booked above 50%? Who gets booted? How is that determined? What if it's YOU that gets their cruise cancelled to meet that 50% target?  Even with generous FCC/OBC I'd be super upset if it was me; partly because I'm missing out on a trip and partly because none of that would make up for the other costs I've already paid for that trip (airfare for example - driving to MIA would take us at least 48 hours of continuous driving 🤮 so NOPE).

Just another line of thought 🙂 

On 8/7/2021 at 12:17 PM, Kevin308 said:

You assume people would pay 150%-200%  fares.   They wouldn't.  They are have low cost  currently because people  currently will not book at  higher prices

I think that's what I said.

Edited by MMastell
spelling
  • Like 2

On 8/7/2021 at 9:18 AM, bucfan2 said:

Spot on!  .2-.3% testing positive.....really??  Who honestly expected anything near these %'s?  If the protocols work/continue to work, cruising seems to have been very successful thus far to me.

Yup....I truly don't know what people were expecting.  Some sort of magical bubble I guess or they are simply going to complain no matter what the numbers are.  

• Like 2