If carnival truly cared they would lower capacity to 50%

pokerguy90

On 8/7/2021 at 7:26 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

I think the passenger count on cruises after August 14 will be down significantly - perhaps to near the 50% mark you suggest - because of the changes Carnival made this week.

Maybe for some, but in my case it's simply not true.  The ship itself may be safe, but the problem is you have to get to it, and eventually they kick you off and you have to go home.

Unfortunately a packed cruise ship elevator full of unmasked people is not safe regardless of the capacity of the ship. On Mardi Gras, the elevator count was 10 people when I got off and waited for another one. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, charliesdad63 said:

Unfortunately a packed cruise ship elevator full of unmasked people is not safe regardless of the capacity of the ship. On Mardi Gras, the elevator count was 10 people when I got off and waited for another one. 

How many people on an elevator would make one feel safe enough not to get off of it?  Even with five people on it you're close enough to pass the virus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nerdluck said:

We've got a strict stairs only rule on cruise ships.

It helps with the amount of Guy's burgers I eat. 

My last cruise (pre Covid) I only used the elevator to get my luggage off. I'm a big fan of the stairs.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:41 PM, pokerguy90 said:

If carnival truly cared they would lower capacity to 50%.  They launched  with the highest passenger count of the restarts.  Now that numbers are rising due to Delta. Lowering pax capacity is the prudent thing to do.  They are headed for a breakout with the current level of guest capacity. Those numbers are proven with simple  math.  

They are a business. They 'care' about making money. As a stockholder, I appreciate that. Too many people thing a cruiseline is their friend---its not. It's a service, which you have the ability to choose or not choose to give your $$.

• Like 5

While this post is over a week old, I was thinking about this the other day.

I was watching the cruise vloggers video from the other day where they stated that they would not be cruising CCL for the foreseeable future.

They maintained that they did not think Carnival was taking suitable precautions on the Mardi Gras in order to ensure passengers health and wellbeing.

I agree with those here and these bloggers that I would wish CCL would work to lower passenger count.

But they are a for-profit and as a stock holder, i can see the other side. We will just choose to not cruise until things settle down. Jelly to those who do cruise though. We miss it!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

While this post is over a week old, I was thinking about this the other day.

I was watching the cruise vloggers video from the other day where they stated that they would not be cruising CCL for the foreseeable future.

They maintained that they did not think Carnival was taking suitable precautions on the Mardi Gras in order to ensure passengers health and wellbeing.

I agree with those here and these bloggers that I would wish CCL would work to lower passenger count.

But they are a for-profit and as a stock holder, i can see the other side. We will just choose to not cruise until things settle down. Jelly to those who do cruise though. We miss it!

I saw that video. I thought they seemed genuine. While I may or may not agree with them (I'll know how I feel about it in a few weeks), I applaud them for taking a stand.

If you're worried about passenger count and protocols, ie not enough for your comfort, then maybe it's not time for you to cruise. It's a decision you need to make. I'm tired of people wanting other people to do something to make them feel better. We all have the same choice. Pay snd go or not. Sorry if this feels ranty but it's how I feel. 

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I saw that video. I thought they seemed genuine. While I may or may not agree with them (I'll know how I feel about it in a few weeks), I applaud them for taking a stand.

I had the opposite reaction and gave the blog my first ever thumbs down. Not that it will help but a blogger who made a blog saying they might have done their last carnival. 

Thumbs down.   I took a stand myself ..against the blog. Do I get applause. I think the thumbs down were up to 367 when I added mine. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I had the opposite reaction and gave the blog my first ever thumbs down. Not that it will help but a blogger who made a blog saying they might have done their last carnival. 

Thumbs down.   I took a stand myself ..against the blog. Do I get applause. I think the thumbs down were up to 367 when I added mine. 

Yep - you get applause for taking a stand. As I said, I don't know if I agree with them or not - I'll see if I feel unsafe in a few weeks and make my own decision.

However, you'll notice lots of people here on the boards taking a stand by demanding 100% vaccinated cruising, yet they are set to sail in the next few weeks. So, not really taking a stand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottsSweetie said:

However, you'll notice lots of people here on the boards taking a stand by demanding 100% vaccinated cruising, yet they are set to sail in the next few weeks. So, not really taking a stand.

I took a stand, but thing are changing so rapidly.

After I was fully vaxxed and the CDC said masks were not necessary for those who are vaxxed, my stand was: Hey! I’m vaxxed. I’m safe; no more cancellations; TIME TO CRUISE! And my stand at the time was I don’t need/want to be tested and I’m only cruising with no mask.

And here we are in August, and it appears efficacy of vaccines wane a bit over time, and vaccinated people are getting breakthrough cases. SO, now if you want to cruise, ya gotta take a COVID test and mask up, etc.  And here I am still with 3 Carnival cruises upcoming. So things changed, and my stand changed.

Depending on how things go in the next 4-8 weeks, my stand may very well change again to “not cruising” till Delta is more under control.  I don’t see how Carnival can stay afloat with 50% capacity, but I do expect SOME reduced capacity; don’t want to be on a boat of sardines right now; so I am watching all the reports from the ships and how crowded people on Carnival feel.

This whole pandemic has been so exhausting and I miss travel/cruising SO much; long for the way things were pre-pandemic. Or even the way we thought things were going to be earlier this Summer.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

I do expect SOME reduced capacity; don’t want to be on a boat of sardines right now; so I am watching all the reports from the ships and how crowded people on Carnival feel.

This whole pandemic has been so exhausting and I miss travel/cruising SO much; long for the way things were pre-pandemic. Or even the way we thought things were going to be earlier this Summer.

I decided I was cruising even if I dont get off the ship in ports. Overconfident perhaps? Lol i have booked some non refundable hotels. Ha I booked my sept hotel way last dec and got a suite for a total of $67. Now cheap rooms are over $170. I said I'm going to Galveston at least even if my ship doesnt restart. Oct and dec hotels also booked nonrefundable.  Jan and march I booked refundable. Maybe my confidence is slipping.

My rcl cruises in my signature the prices are dropping daily even with upgrading. Every time I look the prices are down 10 or 20 more from already rock bottom prices. I told my ta I'd quit asking him for new repricing until i can upgrade again. Prices are dropping, people are cancelling, capacity has got to be dropping.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

My rcl cruises in my signature the prices are dropping daily even with upgrading. Every time I look the prices are down 10 or 20 more from already rock bottom prices. I told my ta I'd quit asking him for new repricing until i can upgrade again. Prices are dropping, people are cancelling, capacity has got to be dropping.

I wonder if people are cancelling because of the new protocols or an increasing fear of Covid. Probably a bit of both.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I wonder if people are cancelling because of the new protocols or an increasing fear of Covid. Probably a bit of both.

I've been looking at switching from Carnival to RCI and I have a feeling I'm not the only one. I've been fairly surprised at the low number of balcony cabins available for some sailings. Haven't found any that are completely sold out yet, but some seem to be close.

2 months ago, Carnival was planning the most lax use of Covid protocols onboard because of the 95% vaccine mandate. Now, RCI is actually a bit more lenient as they have dedicated some venues as vaccinated only where masks aren't required. No slip and sip needed.

For me, that has made Carnival look much less appealing when compared to RCI.

• Like 2

I feel it's about rebuilding the Base Carnival business. When your base business starts to erode you don't panic you just find creative ways to attract passengers. I feel the Carnival Loyalty is regaining strength and they are a professional organization with Beards that will do what's right for the Business First then what's safe for us Cruise Nuts.  

I applaud them for trying.

8 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

I feel it's about rebuilding the Base Carnival business. When your base business starts to erode you don't panic you just find creative ways to attract passengers. I feel the Carnival Loyalty is regaining strength and they are a professional organization with Beards that will do what's right for the Business First then what's safe for us Cruise Nuts.  

I applaud them for trying.

Carnival is in a tough spot and I don't envy the decisions they have to make. I think their most recent changes show that their #1 priority is not getting cruising shut down again. Secondary is making sure people who are tired of wearing masks and want to get away can enjoy a cruise. This is balanced with people who don't feel safe being around people who aren't wearing masks. 

My personal hope is that they are working to evaluate how effective these recent changes are and how to improve on them. How they will sort out how much improvement, if any, is from masks or pre cruise testing I have no idea. 

29 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I've been looking at switching from Carnival to RCI and I have a feeling I'm not the only one. I've been fairly surprised at the low number of balcony cabins available for some sailings. Haven't found any that are completely sold out yet, but some seem to be close.

2 months ago, Carnival was planning the most lax use of Covid protocols onboard because of the 95% vaccine mandate. Now, RCI is actually a bit more lenient as they have dedicated some venues as vaccinated only where masks aren't required. No slip and sip needed.

For me, that has made Carnival look much less appealing when compared to RCI.

Well there is some ebb and flow between rcl and carnival.

What I dont like is right now rcl doesnt even have a buffet for dinner. I dont usually eat in the Mdr, but rcl doesnt have that many choices for dinner. They said it's because of the lower capacity they are running at. Unless you usually eat at pay venues or pizza better pick a larger ship. Jewel wouldnt have a cafe open out of miami in the evening. But the good news is lower capacity. 

I'm just keeping my bookings as they are. I dont think carnival has been that strict about masks from recent reports. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

Carnival is in a tough spot and I don't envy the decisions they have to make. I think their most recent changes show that their #1 priority is not getting cruising shut down again. Secondary is making sure people who are tired of wearing masks and want to get away can enjoy a cruise. This is balanced with people who don't feel safe being around people who aren't wearing masks. 

My personal hope is that they are working to evaluate how effective these recent changes are and how to improve on them. How they will sort out how much improvement, if any, is from masks or pre cruise testing I have no idea. 

Totally agree. I have family members with underlying health conditions where I have no choice but to wear mask each day to protect them. I certainly understand the individuals that are tired of being masked. It has become second nature for me to mask up to help keep the people around me as safe as possible. We will be cruising and wearing our mask in the designated areas with no issues.

Great commentary you provided. Thanks  

• Like 1

Something to remember, CCL is sailing with 95% vaccinated, per the CDC requirement. RCCL is not, and therefore the ships must sail at a reduced capacity, per the CDC as they choose that route of doing test cruises. Also, if you look at the CDC website for ships that are being reviewed and investigated by the CDC ( color  coding) both cruiselines are bery close to each other in the amount of ships currently being reviewed by the CDC. So it appears that a cruiseline that has a massively reduced capacity is facing the same issues as one that is 95% vaccinated. That part many people leave out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

Something to remember, CCL is sailing with 95% vaccinated, per the CDC requirement. RCCL is not, and therefore the ships must sail at a reduced capacity, per the CDC as they choose that route of doing test cruises. Also, if you look at the CDC website for ships that are being reviewed and investigated by the CDC ( color  coding) both cruiselines are bery close to each other in the amount of ships currently being reviewed by the CDC. So it appears that a cruiseline that has a massively reduced capacity is facing the same issues as one that is 95% vaccinated. That part many people leave out. 

Most ships that have sailed with passengers since restart have gone to yellow status.  A few covid cases or even reported flu-like illness of ~2 crew or ~3 passengers is enough for yellow status on most ships.  That level of cases isn't worrisome.

Keep in mind that testing of the majority of passengers during or post-cruise has been non-existent.  These cases are being detected from passengers seeking tests, regular crew testing, unvaccinated pre-debark testing, and passenger tests reported to CDC by local health authorities days after a cruise.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

im reserving judgement until i hear how NCL's first cruise did.  If people come back with COVID on a fully vaccinated cruise then what will be the "NEXT!!" suggestion??

Fully vaccinated cruises are happening out of Seattle.  Those ships have gone to yellow status too.

Edited by arkaine23
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, arkaine23 said:

Most ships that have sailed with passengers since restart have gone to yellow status.  A few covid cases or even reported flu-like illness of ~2 crew or ~3 passengers is enough for yellow status on most ships.  That level of cases isn't worrisome.

Keep in mind that testing of the majority of passengers during or post-cruise has been non-existent.  These cases are being detected from passengers seeking tests, regular crew testing, unvaccinated pre-debark testing, and passenger tests reported to CDC by local health authorities days after a cruise.

You are correct and to my point, this problem is not exclusive to Carnival and the amount of guests they have onboard as it appears that reduced capacity and 75-85% capacity are facing the same issues across the board. People wishing Carnival reduces capacity is irrelevant when their competitors do have reduced capacity and are dealing with the very same issue. 

• Like 1

Whatever your opinion about Carnival's approach may be...

They are operating within the framework and guidance of the CDC Conditional Sail Order.

Choosing the 95/95 vaccinated path and skipping a simulated test cruise did not absolve Carnival from the CSO.  Choosing 95/95 vaccinated simply means they were able to skip the simulated voyage and carry on with the rest of the CSO.  The CDC embraced and approved Carnival's approach.  

If it isn't working, the CDC CSO guidance has a significant role in that. 

• For ships with at least 95% of crew and 95% of passengers fully vaccinated, cruise ship operators, at their discretion, may advise passengers and crew that they do not have to wear a mask or maintain physical distance in any areas. Confirmation that 95% of crew and 95% of passengers are fully vaccinated must be made available to CDC upon request.

At this time Carnival is fully compliant with the CDC CSO despite an injunction for Florida that says they don't need to be.  

I think some are confused, none of these cruise lines are making you take a cruise.  It is a cruise ship, there will be crowds no matter what they do.  It is unavoidable due by design.  If you are not comfortable being in such of a crowd that is at least 95% vaccinated then maybe a cruise isn't for you right now or even in the next few years if at all.

There will be cases even on 100% vaccinated cruises just as there are everywhere else in society.  Zero is not the metric, that is a dream.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 8