Planned to board Odyssey tomorrow but we all have Covid!

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Sorry to hear this happened to your family. 

My husband is a new "breakthrough" case. We were both vaccinated in Jan/Feb and he was Covid diagnosed in the ER Wednesday. We just returned from a US river cruise and were tested before boarding on July 25. I feel OK but am waiting for my results. (tested on Wed). DH is home on oxygen, fatigued and, thankfully, not as sick as he might have been if not vaccinated. 

Sorry to hear this, hope your husband beats this darn virus and recovers quickly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Seriously thinking about cancelling now that the 3 night cruises require testing. Wonder if my NRD pre-COVID will be refunded?

If your sailing in august, then yes, you can get full cash refund.  

Imo it's a lot of hoops to jump thru for a 3 night cruise.

Just realized your sailing is in september.  I would probably wait till September protocols are released.   Constant changes with this darn virus.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rbell said:

I would just like to say Thank you to Royal for putting the new testing and masking protocols in place,Just think what might have happened if they did not.This family would have boarded the Odyssey tomorrow.I don't think they would have taken a test if Royal did not require a test,As she said in her post "  Thought it may be some other virus going around"

Thank you Royal and keep up the great work.And who ever don't wanna follow the protocols well then go camping instead.

TEST TEST TEST   MASK MASK MASK

rbell-- You have totally expressed my feelings--Thank you Royal for being so cautious!

Like others here, DH has been diagnosed with covid after being fully vaccinated with Pfizer. It's been 18 days since symptoms started, but he is still coughing and weak as a kitten. We could not believe it could happen, but his Dr. insisted when we called that he be tested. He's 85, and has lung issues, so thank goodness he hasn't been hospitalized and appears to be on the road to recovery!

We all need to be on the alert for symptoms--just saying!

Barb

• Like 15

OP: So sorry to hear that you’re dealing with this! First and foremost, I hope that all of you recover with minimal issues! 

Your case is what probably is in everybody’s mind who has a cruise booked, us included. We are sailing in less than a month and I’m already preparing myself mentally for a similar scenario. My kids returned to school this week with zero health protocols in place and no virtual option. I feel like it’s a matter of time before they bring Covid home! Hope not, but trying to prepare for it. 

• Like 4

OP - sorry to hear about your situation.  Hopefully everyone recovers soon!  Scary how the breakthrough cases are increasing.  

We just watch a youtube video that focused on what happens if  you get COVID while on a cruise.  The poster there emphasized how the protocols are working.  Your story shows the protocols are working too!  

Its not easy, the rules and guidelines change rapidly - but they seem to be working.

Stay safe, be well, recover soon.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, joepeka said:

This is an incredible shame for the OP and her family. It sounds like their symptoms are mild (due to the vaccine, I imagine) so that's a bright spot in the disappointment. Hope they get a prompt refund and can rebook another cruise sometime soon. Try to stay positive!  😉

This situation is one that really adds to the stress level of preparing for and departing to a cruise vacation right now. We have two cruises booked in the 1st half of 2022 and we can only keep fingers crossed (and do the right things in the interim) that a lot of this will be behind us by then.

We just got off the Adventure yesterday and the most stressful part prior to the cruise was waiting 24 hours for the test results, which were both negative fortunately. While we weren’t too worried about being positive since we never go any place that is crowded, we still wear our masks when we are outside our house, etc., there is no guarantee you won’t catch this virus. 

To the OP, so sorry to hear about this. I hope you and your family recover quickly, glad to hear the symptoms are mild, and hopefully you will be able to cruise again soon.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Same thing happened to my sister’s family. Thankful that you guys didn’t get sicker, and had the vaccines. My sister spent 5 days in the hospital (she was vaccinated, Pfizer), her daughter was not vaccinated, and the daughter is currently still on a vent. The others have mild symptoms.

I hope your next cruise is amazing! 🙂

Was  your niece diagnosed with the Delta variant.  Not sure if true, but read an article that vaxxed are passing the Delta version to the unvaxxed. 

Wonder if there's some truth as the NIH Director Francis Collins recommending that even vaxxed should wear masks at home to protect their unvaxxed children.  At first, I thought this recommendation was an overkill.

So sad to hear this.  We have our PCR tests booked for tomorrow to fly to the US for our upcoming cruise and I know we will be on pins and needles awaiting the results just like you were.  Hopefully, you feel better and can get another vacation planned soon.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Canadianmama3 said:

The OP said they took PCR tests.  Not the rapid antigen tests, which have been known to be not as reliable.   The PCR tests have not had the same problems with false positives.  

The antigen test is as reliable for positive results as the PCR test but gives a higher percent of false negatives.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Canadianmama3 said:

The OP said they took PCR tests.  Not the rapid antigen tests, which have been known to be not as reliable.   The PCR tests have not had the same problems with false positives.  

But they have much different problems, since the PCR test doesn't detect if you have covid, but just the presence of the virus, even if it's dead virus incapable of making you sick.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Was  your niece diagnosed with the Delta variant.  Not sure if true, but read an article that vaxxed are passing the Delta version to the unvaxxed. 

Wonder if there's some truth as the NIH Director Francis Collins recommending that even vaxxed should wear masks at home to protect their unvaxxed children.  At first, I thought this recommendation was an overkill.

All infected were diagnosed with Delta. My niece rushed her mother to the hospital with a 105° temp when she suddenly got sick during the night. Niece was with her in the ER for 3 hours in a room before Covid diagnosis. Niece getting it also was just about inevitable. 😕

Children typically get a very mild case.  I still personally believe the recommendation to mask in our homes is overkill, but I’m a firm believer in personal choice, so if someone thinks it is best for them, please do what you think is best.  🙂  

If someone reading this hasn’t gotten the injections, please do what you can to protect yourself right now. I wouldn’t want anyone to suffer what my niece has, and we still don’t know if she will survive. Her fiancé is able to visit her each day, suited up, for one hour, and is devastated. The hospital she is in allows visits for one hour, because they have learned that family contact is vital to survival of those with severe cases.

Interestingly, either the grandchildren in my sister’s family have absolutely no symptoms, or haven’t gotten it in this case. 🤷🏻‍♀️ All are quarantining, however.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tapi said:

My kids returned to school this week with zero health protocols in place and no virtual option. I feel like it’s a matter of time before they bring Covid home!

unfortunately, very true. I hope your kids are wearing masks even if other kids are not. Even if it adds only a marginal amount of risk mitigation, it's something.

A couple of days ago our school district announced a mask mandate, but only because the numbers are rising astronomically fast and the entire county now is "very high risk." But days before that the masks were still optional. No virtual schooling options at regular schools anymore, and too late to sign up for the actual state-wide online school... 

I am very tempted to keep him home for 2 weeks before our cruise in November, but, alas, that won't be possible. That is, of course, if he doesn't get covid before that, since mask mandates are very shaky at the moment, and there aren't any other measures taken at schools.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

25 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Children typically get a very mild case.  I still personally believe the recommendation to mask in our homes is overkill

well, if somebody in the house is symptomatic and/or tested positive, hell, yes, we are wearing masks. That's a no brainer. Whoever gets covid will also quarantine. Of course, if it's our kiddo, then we'll take care of him, but if it's one of the adults, off to quarantine!

It would be an overkill if everybody masks in their house for no reason at all, but far from overkill if anyone actually has covid.

My dad picked up Covid at a doctor's office and infected my mom before he became symptomatic (that was May 2020). Delta is no joke and is a lot more contagious than whatever my parents had.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Not sure if true, but read an article that vaxxed are passing the Delta version to the unvaxxed. 

not exactly.  The delta variant is so contagious and aggressive that even vaxxed people who contract it carry a viral load strong enough to be contagious. Vaxxed people do get it from unvaxxed and vaxxed alike, and pass it along to vaxxed and unvaxxed alike. Some antivaxxers go around spreading rumors that vaxxed people are the only ones that are shedding the virus and infecting others, which is not true.

That's the reason I am all for tests before the cruise and masking indoors on the cruise. I would rather have a safe cruise than no cruise at all.

@LoriLoriLori - I hope you all feel better soon and get to cruise soon! Sorry about your current cruise.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

All infected were diagnosed with Delta. My niece rushed her mother to the hospital with a 105° temp when she suddenly got sick during the night. Niece was with her in the ER for 3 hours in a room before Covid diagnosis. Niece getting it also was just about inevitable. 😕

I'm sorry to hear this and hope your niece is better soon. How soon did they know it was the Delta variant? We've been told that there isn't a specific test for the Delta variant and it's being determined by a sampling of tests being sent to a lab for special testing by the CDC. My DH is currently COVID positive and this is what we were told in the ER on Wednesday. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

20 hours ago, LoriLoriLori said:

Thank you.  I did have a few days of symptoms.  Husband had minor symptoms as did our kids (18 and 21).  We just never imagined all four of us positive.  Thought it may be some other virus going around. 

Thank you for sharing, and its a good reminder to all of us that, you or your family have any  symptoms you should get tested right away, in this current situation with Delta, because the last thing you want is to realize after the fact that you were the source to spread it to others and one or more of them die.  Young adults and children especially are interacting among mixed populations. Causing spread and maybe even death to others is a horrible legacy.  I my suster has a friend's brother in law that caused the death of a family member through carelessness on his conscience.

Also, it is a good reminder to have travel flexibility in our plans, because none of us would want to board a ship with an illness and infect many other people with disease, even is a less fatal version of common influenza or a corona varient.  The common cold can be and is fatal many times a year to vulnerable peopke and cruises are filled with these type of people (older, immune weaker folks). 

Please dont cruise ill, buy travel insurance.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

unfortunately, very true. I hope your kids are wearing masks even if other kids are not. Even if it adds only a marginal amount of risk mitigation, it's something.

Yes, I gave them masks on lanyards so that they can wear them any time that they can't maintain their distance from others, which is basically any time they're in the classroom or when they are in the hallways. But it's a loosing battle when the school is back at 100% capacity (no virtual option), teachers aren't required to vaccinate or wear a mask, vast majority of kids aren't wearing one either, and we live in a county where many still think that the virus is a hoax and vaccines are for "sheep". They're not doing any extra sanitation either like they did in the spring, and my son told me that even the soap dispensers in the bathroom have been empty by the time they do their afternoon bathroom breaks. I just send them to school with their own little bottles of sanitizers and remind them not to touch their faces, nose, eyes, etc and hope for the best. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I'm sorry to hear this and hope your niece is better soon. How soon did they know it was the Delta variant? We've been told that there isn't a specific test for the Delta variant and it's being determined by a sampling of tests being sent to a lab for special testing by the CDC. My DH is currently COVID positive and this is what we were told in the ER on Wednesday. 

Thank you for your kind words. 🙂 And I hope your husband recovers quickly and with no long term effects. Also that you don’t get ill. 

it took a couple days before my sister was notified.  She had a very high fever for a couple of days, so she could have been notified earlier and doesn’t remember. She was administered Regeneron, and thankfully that made a huge difference for her. She still is using oxygen sporadically 3 weeks out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jpancakes said:

I was curious of those vaccinated who tested positive, what type of symptoms presented?

My sister had fever and Covid attacked her heart (15% damage there), and lungs. So, breathing issues as well.  A friend’s coworker had gastrointestinal issues for several days, before his entire family tested positive. He thought he had a stomach bug. 

20 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Just remember, Elon Musk took 4 Rapid Antigen tests from the same facility, same tester, same day!, 2 were positive, 2 negative...don't you want to go somewhere else real quick and test again?  I really don't trust any of the tests.  BTW, that was early on last year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/13/elon-musk-covid-test-bogus/

Considering that all 4 tested positive, and that all had symptoms makes the chance that all of them are false positive rather slim, as in non-existent.

As far as Mush goes data shows that one is far more likely to get a false negative with the earlier variations than a false positive, so with Musk example the odds are far more likely that there was virus present, but in small amounts such that it was detected in 2 samples, and fell below detection level in two others.  Tests are screening tools.

Is anybody quarantining after taking the required Covid test .  During the height of the pandemic earlier this year, I needed cataract surgery and had to have a test within 5 days and also quarantine until my operation.

1 hour ago, Jpancakes said:

I was curious of those vaccinated who tested positive, what type of symptoms presented?

For me, I was fully vaccinated in Feb. and got Covid early June. My daughter (doesn’t live with me) tested positive a few days earlier. She is not vaxxed. I had a stuffy nose and sneezing. Presented very much like a cold or allergies. I felt tired, but not enough to nap. I tested just because she was positive. Lost my smell and taste at day 4...smell back at 7-10 days, but taste didn’t return for 6 weeks. 
I have no underlying health issues and a normal BMI. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

For me, I was fully vaccinated in Feb. and got Covid early June. My daughter (doesn’t live with me) tested positive a few days earlier. She is not vaxxed. I had a stuffy nose and sneezing. Presented very much like a cold or allergies. I felt tired, but not enough to nap. I tested just because she was positive. Lost my smell and taste at day 4...smell back at 7-10 days, but taste didn’t return for 6 weeks. 
I have no underlying health issues and a normal BMI. 

About a month ago, my brother was telling me that he had no appetite and this was on the 10th day,  I advised him (although he was skeptical as this was the only symptom) to get tested and sure enough he was positive.  The whole non appetite was a total of 2 weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Is anybody quarantining after taking the required Covid test .  During the height of the pandemic earlier this year, I needed cataract surgery and had to have a test within 5 days and also quarantine until my operation.

My 11-yr-old recently contacted Covid at summer camp. My husband, her and myself all quarantined until we got the results.  She had a very high fever (103 with Junior Advil) and a bad headache.  My husband and I only had the first Moderna shot so I kind of just waited for us to get sick. We got the shot exactly 7 days before she tested positive. There are so many questions as we both tested negative this week. Some fully vaccinated people get Covid after being near a friend of someone who had it. And here I had just one shot and was sharing the same pillow with my daughter and didn't get it. 

• Like 1