Planned to board Odyssey tomorrow but we all have Covid!

Booked on Odyssey for this Sunday August 8.

Family of four all fully vaccinated (Pfizer).  Family of four had PCR test Thursday morning.  All POSITIVE.  We all have Covid.  I am very depressed -- was so looking forward to this cruise.  We had initially booked Independence and got switched to Odyssey and upgraded to balcony rooms. We had some cool excursions planned.  

Spoke with Royal Caribbean last night.  Had to email our positive tests. Customer service person said to call back again on August 15th for a refund.  Ugh.  

Just now, barbeyg said:

I am so sorry this has happened to your family. I hope that all remain asymptomatic, and your refunds are prompt. 

Thank you.  I did have a few days of symptoms.  Husband had minor symptoms as did our kids (18 and 21).  We just never imagined all four of us positive.  Thought it may be some other virus going around. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LoriLoriLori said:

Thank you.  I did have a few days of symptoms.  Husband had minor symptoms as did our kids (18 and 21).  We just never imagined all four of us positive.  Thought it may be some other virus going around. 

Same thing happened to my sister’s family. Thankful that you guys didn’t get sicker, and had the vaccines. My sister spent 5 days in the hospital (she was vaccinated, Pfizer), her daughter was not vaccinated, and the daughter is currently still on a vent. The others have mild symptoms.

I hope your next cruise is amazing! 🙂

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Same thing happened to my sister’s family. Thankful that you guys didn’t get sicker, and had the vaccines. My sister spent 5 days in the hospital (she was vaccinated, Pfizer), her daughter was not vaccinated, and the daughter is currently still on a vent. The others have mild symptoms.

Thank you.  I agree that thankfully we were vaccinated as it could have been worse.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LoriLoriLori said:

Family of four all fully vaccinated (Pfizer).  Family of four had PCR test Thursday morning.  All POSITIVE.  We all have Covid.  I am very depressed -- was so looking forward to this cruise.  We had initially booked Independence and got switched to Odyssey and upgraded to balcony rooms. We had some cool excursions planned.  

Spoke with Royal Caribbean last night.  Had to email our positive tests. Customer service person said to call back again on August 15th for a refund.  Ugh.  

Wow that totally sucks.  As @Biker19 replied - don’t wait to call for a refund.  Hoping you all recover soon and can take another cruise in the future. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

I hope for your Niece a speedy and total recovery.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, LoriLoriLori said:

That stinks.  Sorry this is happening.  Hope everyone feels better soon.   At least most food stores are still offering free food delivery while you recover and quarantine.   Most sure everyone drinks lots of water  and/or Gatorade.  That's what we will were told this past winter and many others I know were told the same by their doctors.  Stay well hydrated. Take care😊

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LoriLoriLori said:

So sorry for you, that stinks. Can you ask Royal to just move this cruise to next month, or perhaps after you and the family have recovered? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LoriLoriLori said:

Just remember, Elon Musk took 4 Rapid Antigen tests from the same facility, same tester, same day!, 2 were positive, 2 negative...don't you want to go somewhere else real quick and test again?  I really don't trust any of the tests.  BTW, that was early on last year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/13/elon-musk-covid-test-bogus/

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Just remember, Elon Musk took 4 Rapid Antigen tests from the same facility, same tester, same day!, 2 were positive, 2 negative...don't you want to go somewhere else real quick and test again?  I really don't trust any of the tests.  BTW, that was early on last year.

OP already mentioned they all had symptoms. Minor, but symptoms nonetheless. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LoriLoriLori said:

Sorry to hear but glad you're all doing well. Like Biker said I would be calling for my refund ASAP. 

I have a strong feeling we'll be seeing more and more of these posts.

• Like 1

So here is my question. Did you all test because it was now a requirement to sail? If it wasn't a requirement...would you have tested before boarding Sunday? Please don't take this in any other way than honestly just asking. 

Edited by bajathree

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

The OP said they took PCR tests.  Not the rapid antigen tests, which have been known to be not as reliable.   The PCR tests have not had the same problems with false positives.  

• Like 8

I would just like to say Thank you to Royal for putting the new testing and masking protocols in place,Just think what might have happened if they did not.This family would have boarded the Odyssey tomorrow.I don't think they would have taken a test if Royal did not require a test,As she said in her post "  Thought it may be some other virus going around"

Thank you Royal and keep up the great work.And who ever don't wanna follow the protocols well then go camping instead.

TEST TEST TEST   MASK MASK MASK

• Like 35
  • Haha 1

Since they were all apparently exhibiting some symptoms, whether required or not, testing before the cruise was appropriate.  And really, this is why they should test everyone.  Even the vaccinated can be carrying the virus.

• Like 12

This is an incredible shame for the OP and her family. It sounds like their symptoms are mild (due to the vaccine, I imagine) so that's a bright spot in the disappointment. Hope they get a prompt refund and can rebook another cruise sometime soon. Try to stay positive!  😉

This situation is one that really adds to the stress level of preparing for and departing to a cruise vacation right now. We have two cruises booked in the 1st half of 2022 and we can only keep fingers crossed (and do the right things in the interim) that a lot of this will be behind us by then.

• Like 3

I am so sorry this happened to you and your family, especially so close to the cruise, we are on the September 5th Oasis sailing, I would be heartbroken not to be able to go. I hope everyone makes a speedy recovery and can cruise together soon.

• Like 3