Chops grille worth it for $54

If your professional cruising opinion is chops grille worth it for an extra 55 bucks, are the quality of the steaks that much better than main dining room. Is it not even your favorite speciality restaurant on the oasis class ships? 

13 minutes ago, jfio1021 said:

If your professional cruising opinion is chops grille worth it for an extra 55 bucks, are the quality of the steaks that much better than main dining room. Is it not even your favorite speciality restaurant on the oasis class ships? 

Personally, no.  I can go to a nice steak house and get a meal for that price.  Of course everyone has different opinions on this and it is your vacation.  So if you are a foodie and want to pay extra for a better steak in a smaller venue, then it is probably worth it.   Regardless, you may be able to get a better deal than that.  Dining packages make it cheaper per dinner out or there may be occasional offers that are better.  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, jfio1021 said:

Compared to MDR, yes, absolutely, no question. MDR food quality and service is rock bottom. With respect to land restaurants ... no, not really. We eat there as part of the dinning plan, because it's included and why not, but all the times we've dined there have been underwhelming in terms of meat quality and taste in general. 

• Like 4

We chose to dine in specialty restaurants for more than just the food quality. We like the ambiance in the specialty restaurants better than the MDR, the tables specifically for 2 aren’t usually on top of each-other like the MDR, you have more reservation times to chose from and the service is usually better than the MDR. All that said we’ve found the food quality to be better in the specialty restaurants. As to if it’s worth the cost, that’s up to the buyer.

• Like 7

I had Chops on Mariner and it was meh, not great but not bad. The side offering were the best part. At $54 I would say its a no for me, only because it seems like quality wise its barely a step up from the MDR.  I will be on Allure in Oct, my first oasis class ship, and my plan is to wait until I am on board and see what calls to me. The UDP is too much food when we are staying in a suite and have access to coastal kitchen.

12 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

IMO 150 Central Park is a better restaurant for usually a little less money. But it’s really up to you whether you think $55 is reasonable for a good steak dinner or not. 

While we like all the specially locations on the ships and so buy the package to save, we agree on the Oasis class ship the 150 Central Park is the best. Been to a lot of really good land bases restaurants and this will hold its own with any of them. Of course the pre set menu is not for everyone but we love it. Much like Chiefs Table, with the wine parings and presentation, they make for a special element of any cruise. 

I'm a no at that price. Izumi is the one specialty I do pay for because it's not replicated elsewhere onboard. I was not impressed by Giovanni's, wouldn't repeat that again. 

Honestly, some of my favorite dinners have been at Windjammer. Bottle of wine, sitting outside at sunset, and great service. It's a totally different vibe for dinner. 

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, jcc1025 said:

Of course the pre set menu is not for everyone but we love it. Much like Chiefs Table, with the wine parings and presentation, they make for a special element of any cruise. 

It's been a very long time since they had the pre-set menu with optional wine pairing.  I much preferred that to their current menu selections, which have been in place since at least 2016. The salt service is also gone.  I really enjoyed that.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1

I think Chops is overhyped.  We have found the "experience" has very much dwindled over the years.  Also noticed that the service is extra poor when a group of crew show up.  The waiters tend to give them far more attention than "the only there for a week" folk.

• Like 2

Really impossible to say - $54 is a lot of money to some people - to others it’s literally pocket change.

To put things in perspective- the unlimited plan usually sells for around $200 a week (including gratuity) - a 3 dinner plan sells for around $100.

Unless it’s a very short cruise - there are more “cost effective” options for Chops or other specialty venues.

Again - to most people, celebrating a special event is better done in a specialty venue. It’s not all about the food - your paying extra for a nicer atmosphere and more attentive service as well. 

Are the steaks better - yes and no. Yes in the fact your getting either significantly better cuts of meat and a better selection (the MDR always available is more like a 7oz strip steak) - think of it as the difference between going to Applebee’s or Chili’s or the like - they offer steaks - but they are not “steak places” - on the other hand a Ruth Chris is a steak house - they do steaks primarily - yes you can get a lobster or something similar - but your going to get a selection of 6 different steaks to pick from - some bigger and some more costly. 

The MDR is Applebee’s - something for everyone - Chop’s (and other specialty) are very specific and take things to the next level. 

I wouldn’t pay $100 for a dinner for 2 just any night if the week - but if you enjoy a better cut, more attentive service - but don’t want to spring for the 3 night (or Chops +1 offer pre cruise) - go for it. It’s a cruise - but the time to play penny pincher. I wouldn’t eat their nightly at $50 - but one time a cruise - sure.

45 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

Honestly, some of my favorite dinners have been at Windjammer. Bottle of wine, sitting outside at sunset, and great service. It's a totally different vibe for dinner. 

Exactly - too many people focus on the venue.

it’s possible to have an amazing dinner at the buffet if you want - it’s not all about quality of food or service from a dedicated staff.

Just grabbing a plate and something to drink and hanging out on the aft decks or on your balcony can create some amazingly memorable meals.

• Like 2

And yes - Jami’s / Giovannis / whatever name they are giving it this week has some quality cuts available as well. 

If your going to Chops though - your probably looking for a quality steak which you get and variety. 

Skip the MDR add on fillet - your better off just getting a 2nd free entree than wasting money on that - that is literally all it is - a bigger version of the free/always available option.

A couple of years ago we did a B2B on the Allure. We got a free meal, in Chops, for each week. We were in a suite so we ate in the suite restaurant. The first week we had the Ribeye in both places. We found the food, service, and overall experience far superior in the suite restaurant so we never even went back to Chops the second week.

1 hour ago, Jasukkie said:

I'm a no at that price. Izumi is the one specialty I do pay for because it's not replicated elsewhere onboard. I was not impressed by Giovanni's, wouldn't repeat that again. 

I've heard that the Windjammer is currently closed for dinner.

2 hours ago, coldflame said:

Compared to MDR, yes, absolutely, no question. MDR food quality and service is rock bottom. With respect to land restaurants ... no, not really. We eat there as part of the dinning plan, because it's included and why not, but all the times we've dined there have been underwhelming in terms of meat quality and taste in general. 

Disagree about the service in MDR. We have had VERY disappointing service at several visits to Chops... We have had a single waiter model, without an assistant, and if the waiter had another big party, things got pretty bad.  Meanwhile, back in the main dining room, the service was truly truly outstanding. Food can definitely be hit or miss in the main dining room, but we've also found that by asking the servers what's really really good, they'll point us in the right direction for that evening.

• Like 1