Who buys a bit (or a bunch) of new clothes for a cruise?

no1talks

We did not bring boots on our Alaska cruise either. Tennis shoes and socks were enough for us. We did pack a lot of layers. Jeans take up a lot of space in a suitcase, even when rolled, but we brought them anyway (one per person). A waterproof raincoat with a hood will serve you well, just make sure you can get some layers under it.

For our upcoming Caribbean cruise (this is the 5th time we've moved it since March 2020), I bought two new swimsuits, 2 pairs of shorts, one maxi dress, a pair of casual sandals for day or evening, and a kimono/swimsuit cover up. I'm down probably 15-20 pounds (thanks to kidney disease) since June 2020 so a lot of my usual summer clothes are way too big.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 1:42 PM, conwakr said:

I did not bring boots to Alaska either.  I did bring "hiking" sneaker type shoes.  Wet and rain were more of a concern for me than warmth...you can get warmth from layers these days.  I brought a down sweater which squishes down to nothing for the coldest times. I did not bring jeans as they are so heavy and if they got wet would be so uncomfortable, but I did bring synthetic yoga pants in two colors. I did bring lightweight cotton gloves and hat for glacier day and glad I did as it was quite windy and cold but we went at the tail end of "summer". So layers, also for me, with a fleece vest, Patagonia down sweater and a good rain parka with hood. For much of the trip it was warm enough for shorts on board so brought a couple pairs of shorts and tshirts. 

I LOVE my Patagonia down sweater!!!  My first one I got for my trip to Kenya (those late night game drives can get a little chilly, as can the balloon ride).  It's now my "emergency" jacket that I keep in my car as I've had to patch a few places. I even squish it down to add to my old pillow when I go camping.  I now have a nice, bright red one.   I bring my trail runners unless I am going to do something that requires something heftier.  My rain shell doubles as a windshield if needed.  I used to work outdoors at a ski resort in winters so I'm pretty used to what I need to wear to keep warm.  

For warm weather cruises, I just buy what I want for the summer, if I need anything.  Nothing ever special.  If I can't/won't wear something in everyday life, 99% of time I won't buy.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 11:52 AM, 2BACRUISER said:

Most years i take the same holiday wardrobe away with me which is evident when you look back at old holiday snaps!!

I have one particular top that ends up in at least one pic from every vacation...now it's a tradition! I bought it for my honeymoon 19 years ago! 😁😁😁

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Always like to add some new fashion to each trip. Just for the fact that you look back at past cruise and vacation pics and notice that five different trips have the same top in the photos. And anyways a little something(s)🤑 new put a little extra pep in my step.🤗

• Like 1

I've got pretty much a whole new wardrobe for my upcoming French Polynesia cruise.  🤣  Once in a lifetime trip so I gots to look gooood! 😎 Its a mix of Facebook Marketplace and op shop finds and new basic cheap singlets and skirts.  All new swimwear that I love (which is pretty amazing since I've gained a bit of weight). I still have some beautiful tropical dresses in my closet when I was thinner.  I was able to repurpose them by taking them to a seamstress.  She was able to add panels into dresses; change necklines, and make skirts out of dresses where the tops were too snug.  I'm beyond excited I can wear them again🤩 Since I live in a summer climate year round, I will definately be getting lots of use out of them!  

I already had my footwear (thongs (flip flops for you northerners); wedges, dressy flat sandals, sneakers. I already have hats, snorkel gear, and rashies.  

Can't wait!!! 🤩

• Like 4

Haven’t cruised in 2 years, now booked a cruise 2 weeks in advance (1rst time ever, normally have months to plan) just wondering on a 4 night just how formal people get? Thankfully cruise clothes still fit, but wanting to travel light! 
I have managed to buy a new swimsuit and cover up, though I have many! It’s fun to buy a few new things !

We sailed on a 12-night RC cruise earlier this month.  On formal nights there was a whole range of dressing, with several tuxedos and gowns, a number of suits and dresses, down to totally casual.

Our next cruise is a bit shorter, and I'm hoping we can use slightly smaller luggage, but still planning to take tuxedo and sportcoats.

11 hours ago, jacksmom09 said:

Haven’t cruised in 2 years, now booked a cruise 2 weeks in advance (1rst time ever, normally have months to plan) just wondering on a 4 night just how formal people get? Thankfully cruise clothes still fit, but wanting to travel light! 
I have managed to buy a new swimsuit and cover up, though I have many! It’s fun to buy a few new things !

Cruise line?  Destination?  Embarkation port?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DEWGirl said:

I had to buy new clothes for my upcoming cruise as I’ve lost 172 lbs since my last one in 2020.

Wow, congrats, that is a lot of weight in 2 years!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that’s awesome!!! I lost 55 pounds during pandemic and feel wonderful!! Definitely ready to cruise️🛳 We go out on May 8th , can’t wait! Does anyone dress up for dinners still. That’s my favorite part ! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeCruzin said:

Wow that’s awesome!!! I lost 55 pounds during pandemic and feel wonderful!! Definitely ready to cruise️🛳 We go out on May 8th , can’t wait! Does anyone dress up for dinners still. That’s my favorite part ! 

Depends on your definition of "dress up." I showered and changed clothes every night for dinner. Since we were sailing in the Caribbean, I wore long (ankle/floor length) lightweight dresses every night. I did not wear any "cocktail" dresses, and my husband did not wear a suit or sportscoat. He wore dress pants and either a button down shirt or a polo shirt. We were not underdressed on our cruise (Odyssey of the Seas - just returned on Sunday), but there were some people more dressed up than us on "dress your best" nights. We didn't' see anyone wearing a tuxedo.

3 hours ago, BeCruzin said:

We do!  DH wore a tux on the two formal nights, and sportcoat on all the other evenings.  I had two cocktail dresses, and then a mix of dresses and pants.  Among the other passengers, there was a mix of a few tuxedos, more suits, sportcoats, through quite casual.  It seemed that whatever one wore for dinner stayed the same throughout the evening, for shows, bars, dancing.

We enjoy dressing up, too, especially after two years of being casual at home.

Congratulations on the 55 pounds!  I'm sure many of us gained during the pandemic.  Enjoy your dressing up!

I agree, depends on what your interpretation of dressing up is.........I always try to look "put together" for dinner but as for formal items? I am a person who doesn't wear dresses anymore. I have dressy slacks and if it is a formal evening, I wear a pair of those with a pretty top, some jewelry  and normally black sandals and I am happy with that outfit.

For other nights? I have several pair of slacks I wear.....different colors......most are a no wrinkle knit. 

Those with various tops and some jewelry and I am good to go.

So it really does depends on you.

I have bought a new pair of jeans and a very cool pair of overalls to take with me on my canal barge trip, along with a couple of plain but colored Tshirts.  My young French co-worker told me I had to take the overalls and my hi-top tennis shoes.  I will say that everything I bought I have also worn to work and will wear it until I go over to France and I'll wear them when I get back.  

• Like 1

Anita - I thought of you when I found Pact.  An organic clothing line that is very reasonably priced.  I've been looking all over for some basic sleeveless Tshirts, but not tanks.  Pact has a high neck tank for $15.  It looks more like what I wanted than a normal tank - the neck is more regular Tshirt like.  For $15 I figure it's worth the try - if nothing else I can wear it as a summer sleep shirt.  

• Like 1

I buy new clothes but it is always with the goal of a lighter, easier travel wardrobe.  Last year I bought us both wicked undergarments, tropical and arctic.  When I see a nice very light, drip dry blouse on deep discount I will splurge.  I upgraded my travel pants but that was a need not a want.  

• Like 1

In case any of you are planning on a pair of zip-off pants for your travels, take a look at Outdoor Voices.  My 3-way pants that I had years ago were my favorites - when I shattered my leg, they just zipped off the top zipper and I had shorts on that side and my pantleg on the other so we saved cutting them off.  The Outdoor Voices has a similar pant now.   The black would be good.  They used to have an all "stone" color one.  The other 2 colors could be a bit much.  When I first looked at the site, they had a pair that was navy/rose/lavender colored.  The website has a photo of them.   Really cool, but I'm not that bold.  

Thought I'd put this out there for us rugged individualists who pack lightly 😸

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This Caribbean cruise I am bringing dresses.  I have a few shorter dresses and wanted a change from the typical crops for the daytime wear.  Looks like a few dresses for evening wear.  Living in Arizona, I discovered recently that dresses are cooler, more comfortable than crops for the daytime.  Bringing a couple of wraps and light weight sweaters just in case the airconditioning gets a bit too much.

Anyone else changing what they are bringing on a post Covid cruise?  I just want to dress for a change.

• Like 1

I'm having a good run with our local Kathmandu selling summer stock off. As we are doing 111 nights in the summer/tropics I  have now got a very light weight black skirt with proper secure pockets for travel - but will be OK for formal night on Cunard with the right top/shoes. Plus a pair of light weight shorts and a pair of long trousers 

On 9/17/2021 at 10:39 PM, clo said:

Okay, isn't that what everyone does all the time? I don't know what her "post-pandemic" comment meant. Perhaps she'll explain.

During the pandemic, many of us did not wear "real" clothes.  I worked from home and wore pajama pants, leggings, and " leisure wear".  I am discovering things in my closet I have not worn for two+ years. Of curse I have to try them on and see if they still, given that I gained 20+ pounds during the pandemic.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 6:41 AM, shipgeeks said:

When we did our Alaska cruise, I wore my boots, sweater, and lighter jacket on the plane.  My puffy jacket was packed in a compression bag - like a big sandwich bag with a ziploc on one side.  Insert jacket, partly close ziploc, sit on it to force the air out, finish zipping.

I bought a puffy jacket for myself and one for DH from 32 degrees . it packs into its own attached bag

• Like 2

Dear sisters

Forgive me for I have sinned. 

This week I bought a skirt and a cocktail dress that I don't need for my next cruise in August. Mitigating circumstances are they were from a second hand store at a fraction of their retail price. 

🙈😛😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Dear sisters

Forgive me for I have sinned. 

This week I bought a skirt and a cocktail dress that I don't need for my next cruise in August. Mitigating circumstances are they were from a second hand store at a fraction of their retail price. 

🙈😛😁

Only if you forgive me...

Working alone at the condos brings demons to attack.  The latest:  River + Sky clothing.  The Brooklyn Dress in Oasis.  Popped up on my Facebook page.  I'm resisting as best I can, but I already have a hat just like the model is wearing and I think this would look great with high-tops or booties.  Don't need it for my cruise, but I'm thinking for my grand niece's wedding...  Help!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2