Do you really believe domestic cruising will start in 2022???

3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

From what I read about Taiwan when the infections started rising they tried something similar to NSW going with the Taipei local goverment going lockdown lite and only putting restrictions in certain areas, but when it started spreading around the island their local/state (I don't what their equivalent is to Australian government😆) governments coordinated their policies together. It doesn't seem their government is that centralised but the different groups seem more wiling to work together🤔.

Don’t think they have more than one Governing body, but perhaps their citizens were happier to comply than ours seem to be 🙄

16 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

He can use the purse strings a lot better in my opinion. 

Queensland used to manage its own health system. Money used to be raised via chocolate wheels on beach at Redcliffe for the hospitals. Money from the Casket was also for hospitals. 
when the hospitals transferred to the Commonwealth, the funds went from hospitals to sport.  I think this is why I think

so highly of our public hospital system

3 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Don’t think they have more than one Governing body, but perhaps their citizens were happier to comply than ours seem to be 🙄

They definitely have I guess what we would call LGAs that do have independant decision making. One of the things I do remember that cracked me up was reading in Taipei the Mayor's office was innudated with complaints from people that restrictions were not tight enough😂. I can't imagine that happening in Australia.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I think I read last week about a party in Clovelly🙄, so far no infections. Might be time for a curfew in the East😜.

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Then there is the Mexican Nutter's approach, slam it on real quick like so many claim should have been done by Gladys, and the growing figure show that it is not all that bloody successful either. 

As I assume you mean Dan Andrews by your derogative term, what would you do in his position? Just let it rip and have our hospitals and medical staff overrun? 

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

As I assume you mean Dan Andrews by your derogative term, what would you do in his position? Just let it rip and have our hospitals and medical staff overrun? 

Possum the above was directed at those who have criticised the pause before lockdown in NSW and claimed that it should have been instant lockdown like Dan has just done. Neither method is going to work so long as you have the disobedient rabble that obviously exists as further demonstrated in attempted protests both in Sydney and Melbourne. I am basically sick to death of armchair experts blaming our various leaders who are trying to fix something, without a book of instructions on something that has not occurred in recent history, and are continually being sabotaged by the people who will not do as requested.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I am basically sick to death of armchair experts blaming our various leaders who are trying to fix something, without a book of instructions on something that has not occurred in recent history, and are continually being sabotaged by the people who will not do as requested.

The ignorance excuse is outdated. We have been battling COVID over a year now. We do have good evidence on what strategies are effective and not effective. As far as I am aware countries who tried the pause as you call it have all been unsuccessful when compared to countries that went into instant lockdown. Yes you may have protesters but even with those protests the rate of infection was drastically slower than countries that tried lockdown lite first. Even Taiwan tried it this year and look how quickly their numbers exploded till they locked everything down again. So while it may be not perfect I think it is wrong to say we have no evidence of any strategy to slow down infection rates to COVID. That would be suggesting that for the last year and half everyone has been doing absolutely nothing and even the most incompetent governments have tried something and failure is still evidence of what not to do as much as success is evidence of what to try🤗.

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Scomo would have taken us down the same lane as Boris.

it was the premiers who forced his hand into National approaches.

How did the Premiers force Morrison's hand into National approaches? It is Morrison who set up the National Cabinet in March 2020. This is the first time in Australian history that there has been such a body. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

How did the Premiers force Morrison's hand into National approaches? It is Morrison who set up the National Cabinet in March 2020. This is the first time in Australian history that there has been such a body. 

One example

https://www.researchprofessionalnews.com/rr-news-australia-politics-2020-3-victorian-premier-defies-morrison-with-covid-19-school-closures/

To be fair, I don't think it would matter who was in charge, they are, at the end of the day, just politicians, and do pretty much what they are told by their “ advisors” and are not experts in this once in a lifetime circumstance.The  opposition(s) will just take pot shots at them for their own political gain while not really offering any real viable options ( why would they ..they have as little knowledge as anybody else.)  As it was in the early days of this whole thing eg Ruby Princess,  nobody really knew, definitively, what to and the “rules” changed daily and nothing has changed except that vaccination  seems to be the only answer and even that ( or lack of) gets politicised rather than a bipartisan effort…….we are all in this together.

Edited by gbenjo
  • Like 1

Can’t imagine being PM or Premier at the moment ScoMo and Gladdy both look and sound buggered, wonder why.

And no matter what they do they get criticised.

‘’Went into lock down to slow/to fast,

Didn’t go hard enough/went to hard

Should have spent more on stimulus/put us in debt forever”

And the money isn’t that good either, nope been asked yo consider standing a few times, not on your life.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Can’t imagine being PM or Premier at the moment ScoMo and Gladdy both look and sound buggered, wonder why.

And no matter what they do they get criticised.

‘’Went into lock down to slow/to fast,

Didn’t go hard enough/went to hard

Should have spent more on stimulus/put us in debt forever”

And the money isn’t that good either, nope been asked yo consider standing a few times, not on your life.

I agree they look exhausted. However I think they deserve all the criticism they are getting. They left their political hats on and focussed on big business and didn’t 

show genuine compassion for the people who are suffering.  They lack leadership skills.
Yes, most politicians earn less money as members of Parliament than they got in private life.  However all their perks add up - Govt vehicles throughout Aust., flights, staffed electoral office, postage allowance, generous superannuation etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russell21 said:

The unfortunate part about all of this is that many people don't realise that the Australian Constitution gives the individual States the power and responsibility for each one to run their own health system.

The truly unfortunate thing is that the Section 51(ix) of the Commonwealth Constitution specifically gives the Federal government control over quarantine and overseas arrivals, and they didn't want it.

Chapter 8, Part 2 of the Biosecurity Act 2015 deals with "emergencies involving threats or harm to human health on a nationally significant scale". The government has essentially abrogated this responsibility through forcing state governments to assume the role of managing infectious overseas arrivals via a flawed hotel quarantine scheme.

Lockdowns have almost all been the result of outbreaks resulting from leakages from hotel quarantine or associated activities, such as transporting aircraft personnel. This is where the responsibility for lockdowns resides, not with the state governments who have been left by the Feds to try to make bricks out of straw.

We are a year and a half into the pandemic and where are the Federal quarantine facilities? It's a joke. 😡

13 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The truly unfortunate thing is that the Section 51(ix) of the Commonwealth Constitution specifically gives the Federal government control over quarantine and overseas arrivals, and they didn't want it.

Chapter 8, Part 2 of the Biosecurity Act 2015 deals with "emergencies involving threats or harm to human health on a nationally significant scale". The government has essentially abrogated this responsibility through forcing state governments to assume the role of managing infectious overseas arrivals via a flawed hotel quarantine scheme.

Lockdowns have almost all been the result of outbreaks resulting from leakages from hotel quarantine or associated activities, such as transporting aircraft personnel. This is where the responsibility for lockdowns resides, not with the state governments who have been left by the Feds to try to make bricks out of straw.

We are a year and a half into the pandemic and where are the Federal quarantine facilities? It's a joke. 😡

And what would be different if the other mob were in power?

23 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I agree they look exhausted. However I think they deserve all the criticism they are getting. They left their political hats on and focussed on big business and didn’t 

show genuine compassion for the people who are suffering.  They lack leadership skills.
Yes, most politicians earn less money as members of Parliament than they got in private life.  However all their perks add up - Govt vehicles throughout Aust., flights, staffed electoral office, postage allowance, generous superannuation etc

They also choose to put themselves in the position to be elected.