Who likes factory tour / shopping stops on ship excursions?

For some reason these really  bug me to the point I pretty much refuse to go on any excursion that has them. Help, I’m being held hostage and forced to visit a store so the cruise line can get a kickback. Ugh. 

But I’d love to hear from folks who enjoy them. Somebody must, as people do buy stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Agree that it kind of depends on the "factory".  Several years ago we did a Panama Canal cruise and took a ships excursion in one of the west coast Mexican ports that visited a boutique tequila maker.  Really enjoyed that.  

OTOH, if its just to get to the shopping area then no, we wouldn't do that.  We regularly visit shops that aren''t on the ships "approved" list.  

We wouldn't rule out a factory tour if it's something we're interested in.

We might book a cheap transportation only "shopping" excursion just to get to the main shopping/dining area if we aren't doing any other excursions.

The hard part of avoiding being a hostage to shopping, is that they aren't always obvious. Maybe we should have known better, but in Naples, we did "Capri, Sorrento, and Pompeii". Capri wasn't bad, but Sorrento was a waste as it was just a bus ride then a walk to his kickback store (inlaid wood things), I think lunch(?), then time to shop. Finally, while the tour inside Pompeii was good, he led us out and then took us into the store immediately outside the exit for a shot of Lemoncello, and then told us we had 30 minutes to shop. I'd have rather had 30 more minutes in Pompeii! 😡

48 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

We wouldn't rule out a factory tour if it's something we're interested in.

We might book a cheap transportation only "shopping" excursion just to get to the main shopping/dining area if we aren't doing any other excursions.

The hard part of avoiding being a hostage to shopping, is that they aren't always obvious. Maybe we should have known better, but in Naples, we did "Capri, Sorrento, and Pompeii". Capri wasn't bad, but Sorrento was a waste as it was just a bus ride then a walk to his kickback store (inlaid wood things), I think lunch(?), then time to shop. Finally, while the tour inside Pompeii was good, he led us out and then took us into the store immediately outside the exit for a shot of Lemoncello, and then told us we had 30 minutes to shop. I'd have rather had 30 more minutes in Pompeii! 😡

On our Med Tour-pre Covid-19, we arranged all private tours through romecabs.com.  On our last shore day, our guide asked us (there was only 8 of us) if we'd like to see an olive oil factory.  Like idiots we said yes.  What a waste of time.  It was just so we could purchase olive oil.  Same with the rug "factory" in Turkey.  If we went back, it would be a definitive NO.

• Like 1

Sometimes, I've booked through the cruise lines and did not know that my tour included a shopping portion.  Either it wasn't spelled out, disguised or I didn't bother to read -- my bad -- should have known better. It is annoying to have to spend time in shopping areas you would rather not be in but have no choice in the matter.  Going forward, I will spend more time reading the fine print. 

@RobInMN "The hard part of avoiding being a hostage to shopping, is that they aren't always obvious."

That applies off cruises as well. Let's just say be cautious if you are ever invited over to a neighbor's house, who you have hardly ever talked to, for a big "family" gathering. You just might be treated to a lengthy affinty (pyramid) insurance presentation or a Cabi clothing solicitation.....☹

The factory tour is a fairly old scheme or scam (depending on the factory and viewpoint). In all versions, the tour guide ensures that you are taken to a souvenir shop (which is typically bigger than the factory it is attached to) and keeps you there for a while.  That said, these tours can be interesting at times.  Bottom line: treat it as part of your tour payment and don’t by anything no matter what they say. 

I have a couple of good stories about these when I visited China with a group back in the early ‘00s 😜

On 8/18/2021 at 9:17 AM, zekekelso said:

For some reason these really  bug me to the point I pretty much refuse to go on any excursion that has them. Help, I’m being held hostage and forced to visit a store so the cruise line can get a kickback. Ugh. 

But I’d love to hear from folks who enjoy them. Somebody must, as people do buy stuff. 

It depends on what and where, really. I don't mind it when there is an opportunity to visit several shops or to grab a bite to eat. 

If it is actually a factory tour, then I enjoy that.  And I may even buy some of their product.

If it just a shop, then typically not.

I did a tour in Vietnam that included a factory that make the lacquer ware.  Very interesting, and I did buy a bowl.  And in India, did a tour of a factory that made items in the same manner as the Taj Mahal is decorated (actual inlaid semiprecious stone).  And got to see how they hand ground each piece and hand set them  I bought a small box.  one guy on the tour bought a table top, big enough for a table for 8.  Yes, they shipped it to him. 😄

In Korea, I think, there was the ginsing place, which was simply a store.  No fun and I did not buy anything.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 7:22 AM, OnTheJourney said:

Did you ever do the railroad there?  LOL...loved how their group of singers went around and provided some entertainment. 

We did this. It was fabulous. Except the train broke down half way through and we had to get off. We just kept drinking rum punch until the bus arrived. I was just glad the train didn't break down on the tressel.

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2021 at 8:17 AM, zekekelso said:

If it's a storefront we either stay on the tour bus or don't go inside.

We went on a winery tour in New Zealand. Lots of free samples. LOTS! 

On 8/22/2021 at 7:44 PM, OnTheJourney said:

My brother did a different sort of tour there...a year in the bush as squad leader '70-'71 ! 

I just missed being invited by my neighbors to do that same tour.  Just a bit too young.

On our first trip to Vietnam and China we enjoyed these stops....No pressure to buy anything....and some were very interesting...especially one in Shanghai where they made silk comforters...almost everyone in our group bought one and they were amazing !!!

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I suspect my brother (and probably other vets) would tell you that you didn't miss much....

i understand that it really, really different than the country we (yes, I was there) saw back then.  

1 hour ago, jalves said:

really different than the country we (yes, I was there) saw back then.  

I'm sure! I hear it's a really nice place to visit. Even my brother commented that at times some of the scenery was just beautiful (when it wasn't raining anyway!)  I'd like to go. Not real high on my list but I'd do a Vietnam / Cambodia trip. 

Thank you for your service 🇺🇸 🙂   When were you there?  My brother went over from basic at Ft. Dix, then (I think anyway) OCS at Benning before 'Nam. He was in country from '70 to '71. He was in the middle of a grad school program - had student deferments for awhile but eventually the luck ran out. 

Edited by OnTheJourney