Air Canada: The WORST airline in existence?

Bruin Steve

Air Canada just sent me a voucher for $250 off my next flight...

But based on the time I spent with them this past Sunday, I may never take that offer.

I had tickets on Air Canada to get home from Athens after my Apex cruises--Athens-Toronto and Toronto-LAX.  They shortened the layover time in Toronto and I was worried about the connection timing.  So, I didn't want to be near the back of the plane on the first leg.  Also, for various reasons, I require an aisle seat.  So, when I noticed the aisle seats getting booked up and also those toward the front of coach, I pulled the trigger and RESERVED aisle seats near the front.  Paid $124.  Air Canada charged my credit card and sent me a confirmation.

When we got to the airport in Athens, they issued us boarding passes showing two middle seats, not together, in Row 60 on the first leg...and seats in different rows at the back of the plane on the second.

The Air Canada folks at the counter in Athens refused to do anything about it until I PROVED to them I reserved seats.  So, I showed them the confirmation.  The agent initially told me "Flight is full, nothing I can do"...Then, after a lot of conversation, they moved us closer to the front (but not where I had bought the assignments) and two aisle seats.  Told me I'd have to ask in Toronto about the second leg.  Turns out the reassigned seats were in Row 23--directly in front of the restrooms and UNABLE TO RECLINE...for a 10+ hour flight!

In Toronto, when we got there, they had already started boarding...but I went to the counter and asked.  The Air Canada rep there told me "We're full"...then ignored me and said "NEXT!".  I asked to speak to a supervisor and she referred me to the guy next to her--who would not listen to me at all--claimed I somehow "abused his colleague" and threatened to have me arrested and/or thrown off the plane!  He then showed me his computer screen and insisted I was lying--that I NEVER pre-reserved seats because it wasn't on his computer.  He refused to even look at my Air Canada email confirmation or my credit card login showing the Air Canada charges.

When I got home, I reported this to Air Canada on their website form.  I got a form email response and a message that I'd receive $50 credit back to my card in "one or two billing cycles".

I wrote back to complain and try to correct them...and they sent a form email with that $250 toward a future Air Canada flight taken within three years.

Why does ANYONE fly with this airline?

5 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Air Canada just sent me a voucher for $250 off my next flight...

But based on the time I spent with them this past Sunday, I may never take that offer.

I had tickets on Air Canada to get home from Athens after my Apex cruises--Athens-Toronto and Toronto-LAX.  They shortened the layover time in Toronto and I was worried about the connection timing.  So, I didn't want to be near the back of the plane on the first leg.  Also, for various reasons, I require an aisle seat.  So, when I noticed the aisle seats getting booked up and also those toward the front of coach, I pulled the trigger and RESERVED aisle seats near the front.  Paid $124.  Air Canada charged my credit card and sent me a confirmation.

When we got to the airport in Athens, they issued us boarding passes showing two middle seats, not together, in Row 60 on the first leg...and seats in different rows at the back of the plane on the second.

The Air Canada folks at the counter in Athens refused to do anything about it until I PROVED to them I reserved seats.  So, I showed them the confirmation.  The agent initially told me "Flight is full, nothing I can do"...Then, after a lot of conversation, they moved us closer to the front (but not where I had bought the assignments) and two aisle seats.  Told me I'd have to ask in Toronto about the second leg.  Turns out the reassigned seats were in Row 23--directly in front of the restrooms and UNABLE TO RECLINE...for a 10+ hour flight!

In Toronto, when we got there, they had already started boarding...but I went to the counter and asked.  The Air Canada rep there told me "We're full"...then ignored me and said "NEXT!".  I asked to speak to a supervisor and she referred me to the guy next to her--who would not listen to me at all--claimed I somehow "abused his colleague" and threatened to have me arrested and/or thrown off the plane!  He then showed me his computer screen and insisted I was lying--that I NEVER pre-reserved seats because it wasn't on his computer.  He refused to even look at my Air Canada email confirmation or my credit card login showing the Air Canada charges.

When I got home, I reported this to Air Canada on their website form.  I got a form email response and a message that I'd receive $50 credit back to my card in "one or two billing cycles".

I wrote back to complain and try to correct them...and they sent a form email with that $250 toward a future Air Canada flight taken within three years.

Why does ANYONE fly with this airline?

Have you ever flown Spirit during a melt down???

bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry you had such a bad experience. We flew Air Canada from LAX-YQB (Quebec City) and can say that their first class was just fine. Well worth the cost to fly business/first now when we travel especially international. Use your credit don't let it go to waste...then they won.

• Like 3

I wasn't thrilled with our first experience with them but it was nothing compared to yours. I always double check my seat assignments (when I make them) several times after booking the flight. We had a flight change on our upcoming trip to Nashville and when I double checked the seat assignments found that DW and I were across the aisle from each other on the outbound and inbound flights. If I had to pay for seat selection I would quadruple check.

• Like 2

Just wait until you get a multiday flight delay from Southwest...

They too will give you a $150 voucher but it will not cover the hotel, food, transportation, etc.

Right now Southwest and American are having the highest number of flight cancellations.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

I've flown with African and Central Asian airlines where I was literally sitting next to unsecured boxes and even once a goat...so no, Air Canada is not the worst airline in existence. I understand your frustration, but dramatics won't help. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

More on PIA for anyone who still thinks Air Canada is the worst:

Didn't get the assigned seat you wanted?  Hey, you at least got a seat:

https://viewfromthewing.com/airline-takes-off-passengers-seats-stand-aisle-1700-miles/

And more happy stories:

https://viewfromthewing.com/etihad-almost-bought-worst-airline-world/

https://viewfromthewing.com/worlds-worst-airline-hope-springs-eternal/

And at least Air Canada has real pilots, not ones with fake licenses:

https://viewfromthewing.com/over-30-of-pilots-have-fake-licenses-at-the-worst-airline-in-the-world/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't have lots of experience flying with Air Canada, but, my experiences have been fine.  Pleasant on board crews and gate agents;  my luggage arrived when I did.  

And, I really do enjoy traveling through Toronto Pearson Airport.  

• Like 1

I have done many business and leisure miles on AC.  They claim to win awards.

We find them very average.  Better than the Uniiteds of the world.   In the past we have always chosen Transat for flights from Canada to Athens instead of AC.   We prefer the service and the prices have been consistently lower over the past few years.   Especially on open jaw tickets to Europe.

Alas, this season Transat is not flying to Athens. IF we go in Oct, it will have to be AC since for covid reasons we want a direct flight.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

In todays covid world, with airline schedules changing almost daily, you are lucky that your FLIGHT was not changed, (and changed and changed) the equipment was not changed, (and changed and changed) or one of your two flights was not simply cancelled.  More so than I have ever seen in my 50+ years of flying the old adage "Time to spare... go by air" is appropriate this summer.    

55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I know my concern is silly.  But, I can never get that Transat flight, many years ago, that had major fuel issues out of my memory.  

There was also an AC plane, nicknamed the 'Gimli Glider' that had to land in Gimli, Manitoba for the same reason. 

The positive side of the Transat flight was that the pilot was a pro.   He glided in for a safe landing.  At the time it was lauded by their (pilot and co-pilot) peers as quite an accomplishment.

Since retiring we have flown more on Transat than AC.  Multiple Europe flights, multiple Mexico flights.  Better seats, better service, better price.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, iancal said:

There was also an AC plane, nicknamed the 'Gimli Glider' that had to land in Gimli, Manitoba for the same reason. 

The positive side of the Transat flight was that the pilot was a pro.   He glided in for a safe landing.  At the time it was lauded by their (pilot and co-pilot) peers as quite an accomplishment.

The Gimli glider also had a couple of pro pilots.  One was a glider pilot and the other had served with the Air Force out of Gimli and knew the airport.  They were hoping to make Winnipeg but didn't have enough height for that. 

Two different reasons.  As best I can recall, the Gimli glider was a fuel loading issue caused by Trudeau Pere's decree that Canada would go metric.  The Transat one was a maintenance issue where the wrong part had been fitted which allowed fuel to escape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, iancal said:

I was unaware of this.

1 hour ago, Fairgarth said:

Two different reasons.  As best I can recall, the Gimli glider was a fuel loading issue caused by Trudeau Pere's decree that Canada would go metric.  The Transat one was a maintenance issue where the wrong part had been fitted which allowed fuel to escape.

Thanks to both of you for your informative posts.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I was unaware of this.

Thanks to both of you for your informative posts.  

Air Canada's was a Boeing 767, Air Transat's was an Airbus A330.  If you wanted to investigate further, there is a book all about the Gimli Glider:  "Freefall"  by William Hoffer

• Thanks 1

To the OP: This sort of thing sucks, no matter what airline you fly. Hopefully the air karma gods now owe you one and you’ll have smooth flying in the future. 

As for AC from an Americans  standpoint, being able to clear customs and immigration in Canada is nice  Though I wish their flights did more to feel “Canadian” - not sure what that would be however. 

And I know the thread title is for airlines “in existence” but I have survived flying People’s Express back in the day. Everything flying today, even the goat airline, is a step up. 

Edited by zekekelso

9 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

As for AC from an Americans  standpoint, being able to clear customs and immigration in Canada is nice  Though I wish their flights did more to feel “Canadian” - not sure what that would be however. 

Just note that US Pre-Clearance has nothing to do with Air Canada. Other airlines use it as well - United, Delta, American, Air Transat, etc. It's a US government program, not an Air Canada program. Also, there are some Canadian airports that don't have it but have nonstops to the US - Kelowna, Victoria, Quebec, Toronto City. Additionally, some other countries/locations have US preclearance as well - Nassau and Freeport in the Bahamas, Bermuda, Aruba, Dublin and Shannon in Ireland, and Abu Dhabi UAE. 

On 8/25/2021 at 6:35 AM, Zach1213 said:

Just note that US Pre-Clearance has nothing to do with Air Canada. Other airlines use it as well - United, Delta, American, Air Transat, etc. It's a US government program, not an Air Canada program. Also, there are some Canadian airports that don't have it but have nonstops to the US - Kelowna, Victoria, Quebec, Toronto City. Additionally, some other countries/locations have US preclearance as well - Nassau and Freeport in the Bahamas, Bermuda, Aruba, Dublin and Shannon in Ireland, and Abu Dhabi UAE. 

What is unique about the setup in Toronto is for international transfers at Terminal 1,  baggage is automatically transferred to your connecting flight.  You avoid Canadian customer/immigration but go directly through US pre-clearance when connecting to the US.   It is one of the easiest ways of entering the US.   Sadly, Toronto Termnal 3 does not have that setup.  Vancouver and Montreal do.  

On 8/21/2021 at 2:19 PM, rkacruiser said:

I know my concern is silly.  But, I can never get that Transat flight, many years ago, that had major fuel issues out of my memory.  

Not silly!  Last time I used Transat they had leased Thomas cook planes from the UK and flew using British rules instead of Canadian and charged for even a glass of water.  

Their  continued existence is in extreme doubt financially as well. 

AC can be great in Business,  we last used them long haul to Asia but their customer service can leave a lot to be desired unfortunately,  like some other airlines at times.   It will be interesting to see how things unfold post covid.  

I was a frequent flyer on AC for years.  Lots and lots of business class and economy seats.  You know you are travelling too much when the flight attendants always recognize and acknowledge  you on certain routes.

From my perspective, AC has been going downhill for some time.   But, to be fair, the same can be said for many airlines.  The economy fares, adjusted for inflation, are certainly lower.

3 hours ago, iancal said:

I was a frequent flyer on AC for years.  Lots and lots of business class and economy seats.  You know you are travelling too much when the flight attendants always recognize and acknowledge  you on certain routes.

From my perspective, AC has been going downhill for some time.   But, to be fair, the same can be said for many airlines.  The economy fares, adjusted for inflation, are certainly lower.

I find Air Canada on par with most of the US airlines.  The overall industry has moved to offer some very low fares (with less comfort and service) as the entry point.   

Air Canada premium economy gets you back to a good level of service.  Business even above that.  There premium product is generally better than the average on the US side.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, em-sk said:

I find Air Canada on par with most of the US airlines.  The overall industry has moved to offer some very low fares (with less comfort and service) as the entry point.   

I think "entry point" is a good statement. Flying these days offers a broader range of prices and comfort than ever before, and that's good in my book. Want to fly across the country for $50 but be miserable on the plane? You can! Want to fly the same route for $5k and have a lie-flat seat, bigger TV than at home, and unlimited drinks? You can! Want to fly halfway around the world in a suite with a sliding door, caviar, high quality champagne, and legitimately good food? You can! 

• 1 month later...

Air Canada can be crappy one flight and beyond wonderful the next. Generally, overall I think its a fine airline. We used up our Aeroplan points this past August for a quick getaway to France and I must say it was the best service we had in a long time going in both directions. The customer service director came by and was really interested if we were all happy and things were going well. Despite the Covid uncertainties, Air Canada excelled on that vacation.

To the OP, I am sorry you had such a bad experience but its far from the worst airline out there. I agree that its too easy an excuse nowadays for people in the airline industry to throw up their hands and say "abusive passenger". Clearly the people you were dealing with were ignorant but did you deal with them with finess or yell and scream? 

As for reserving seats. I always reserve the seat at the time I make a booking whether in Business or economy class. 

• Like 1