Alaska Cruises Early -Mid October

tedbearz

NCL Encore has a few sailings in October. Is this too late in the season ?

Most sites I've read mentioned the cruise season usually ends in October. What's the experience been like for anyone who has taken a cruise in October?

Any issues with weather (cold, choppiness of water), availability of excursions, etc.

There are many threads discussing October cruises. The weather is typically not good...there have been very strong storms in mid September....we had sleet on Labor Day weekend a number of years ago. In a normal cruise season, shops are closing or closed. 

Yes, someone will come along and say their weather was perfect. Always happens.

Remember sunset in mid Oct is after 6:00pm. One of the stops on one line would be 6-10 and almost totally in the dark. Juneau from 1-9 pm would have some of in the dark. That is if the weather is good and you can see the sun which is not likely. 

There is a reason that under normal circumstances, the AK cruises don't go that late.  The only reason that they are doing it now is because they didn't make much money at the beginning at the normal cruise season so they are trying to make it up by extending the end of the cruise season.  Under normal circumstances, would you even consider doing AK in October.

DON

9 hours ago, bottom-dragger said:

Southeast typically gets 20-25% of its rain in october .............

This says all you need to know.  I was in Juneau on business a number of years ago.  It was mid-October.  Anyone considering one of these cruises needs realistic expectations.

53 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

This says all you need to know.  I was in Juneau on business a number of years ago.  It was mid-October.  Anyone considering one of these cruises needs realistic expectations.

Those realistic expectations usually get washed away by the cheaper prices...

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Those realistic expectations usually get washed away by the cheaper prices...

going on Celebrity last week of September, my only expectations are that the scenery will be beautiful,  my glass of wine will always be topped off, & my butler will bring me treats.  Husband will get some fishing in, even it's pouring rain... I'll do some hiking, even if it's pouring rain,  anything else will be gravy 

😉

• Like 4

I have traveled to central Alaska after Labor Day, though in mid-September. On the plus side was that there were no bugs and few tourists. No disruptive weather at all. Not hot, but not cold either (though I do have a bias here, as I do relish cold weather). On the negative side was that several tourist-related facilities were shutting down by mid-September. For that reason you should be cautious if you have particular expectations (such as for transportation or sites to visit) to ensure that the services you anticipate will be available. I offer no opinion as to water choppiness. If all the logistics work out--and this may require more work on your part in making enquiries--I would encourage post-Labor Day travel, including October.

On 9/1/2021 at 4:31 PM, cruise kitty said:

going on Celebrity last week of September, my only expectations are that the scenery will be beautiful,  my glass of wine will always be topped off, & my butler will bring me treats.  Husband will get some fishing in, even it's pouring rain... I'll do some hiking, even if it's pouring rain,  anything else will be gravy 

😉

I like your spunk!  That's a good attitude to have when one is traveling.  

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 3:31 PM, cruise kitty said:

😉

I don't know. I was on a sailing where it poured the entire week and was incredibly foggy also. We didn't see any scenery the entire week.

On 9/2/2021 at 6:53 AM, GTJ said:

I have traveled to central Alaska after Labor Day, though in mid-September.--I would encourage post-Labor Day travel, including October.

comparing apples with road apples?  central Alaska weather has no relationship with weather in maritime Southeast

On 9/2/2021 at 7:53 AM, GTJ said:

I have traveled to central Alaska after Labor Day, though in mid-September. On the plus side was that there were no bugs and few tourists. No disruptive weather at all. Not hot, but not cold either (though I do have a bias here, as I do relish cold weather). On the negative side was that several tourist-related facilities were shutting down by mid-September. For that reason you should be cautious if you have particular expectations (such as for transportation or sites to visit) to ensure that the services you anticipate will be available. I offer no opinion as to water choppiness. If all the logistics work out--and this may require more work on your part in making enquiries--I would encourage post-Labor Day travel, including October.

When I worked cruise ships, I completed 2 consecutive Alaska season and experienced 70 kt storms in September both years. Our son also did the Alaska/Trans-Pacific 2 years in a row and experienced similar storms both years.

On leaving cruise ships, I worked the North BC Coast for many years, which has similar weather patterns to SE Alaska and the first storms of the year are typically late September or early/mid October. So with 35 yrs experience sailing the NW Coast, if anyone is subject to motion issues, the probability of heavy weather is significantly greater from about the middle/end of September.