Passenger loads on RCL ships right now

I just watched a video by some Vloggers on YouTube who were on Symphony during the cruise the week of Aug 25, 2021 and it looked like there were so few guests onboard.  I would say less than 50% occupancy for sure if not less.  Anyone else been on a recent RCL cruise that was similarly uncrowded?

Freedom on August 27th, I meant to ask guest services if they would tell me how many people, but even without knowing the amount it was definitely well less than 50%. I would be amazed if there were even 1,000 people on board.

By contrast, we have Odyssey booked for January and it's showing nearly sold out.

There are a whole bunch of these post, all speculative until someone reports from a sailing. RCG wasn't releasing capacity in the past and hasn't been since the restart. Just because this week sailing is 1600 doesn't mean it will be the same or higher the next.

A ship being sold out has very little to do with actual capacity limits. I.E just because its sold out or nearly sold out, doesn't mean it is 2800/2900pax.There were some Odyssey booking that were "sold out" but capacity was like 800. 

• Like 1

@ROYAL CARIBBEAN DUDE is a crew member for RCI, currently on Odyssey and reporting  low numbers of guests. Demand is very low right now.  

We are just going in to what is typically already a low season after US schools resume throughout August with the last ones typically starting this coming week after Labor Day. 

We have both additional requirements that many people don't want to deal with, and concerns that no additional requirements can make cruising safe enough to risk travel and infection.

Kids are back in school, and ships are sailing (mostly, if not all) with 12+ vaccinated due to the islands’ Covid requirements. Count should have dipped, for both of those reasons, and will probably dip slightly more with the 2 day testing requirements. I have no doubt that RCI is trying to mitigate that last potential dip with the advertised kits we can order them them beginning later this week.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

last year I was reading through RCG's 10-K filing and the Oasis and Quantum class ships can sail at reduced capacity and "break even". The smaller, older ships need higher counts of passengers to break even(seems weird, but they have the numbers). 

All that break even talk seems to have stopped. The bleeding will become a bit more obvious at the end of October when this quarter's results will come in.

• Like 3

We got off Allure last Sunday. There were 1800 Pax and 1800 crew. Irfan the HD told me they were going to 3000 this week. I assume he meant guest headcount. 

It was quite nice not to be crowded. The WJ at peak breakfast time was slightly more difficult to find a table due to so many unavailable due to Covid spacing. WJ was only open for breakfast and lunch.

Edited by Scotty G
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Havin'fun said:

I was on Symphony Aug 29-Sept and was told there were 1600 passengers.

When we docked in Cozumel, from what I could see, I was the only one in the solarium for 2 hours!

When I want that experience, I don my speedo and plop myself down front and center.  Very effective.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Scotty G said:

We got off Allure last Sunday. There were 1800 Pax and 1800 crew. Irfan the HD told me they were going to 3000 this week. I assume he meant guest headcount. 

It was quite nice not to be crowded. The WJ at peak breakfast time was slightly more difficult to find a table due to so many unavailable due to Covid spacing. WJ was only open for breakfast and lunch.

I heard Allure was up to 2500 this week. We are sailing next week! I was okay with the 1500-1600 capacity but would be thrilled to be under 50%. Thinking this week may have a higher demand since it is the holiday week.

Just now, ADunk said:

I heard Allure was up to 2500 this week. We are sailing next week! I was okay with the 1500-1600 capacity but would be thrilled to be under 50%. Thinking this week may have a higher demand since it is the holiday week.

Pretty sure the Hotel Director had the actual number! According to Michael Bailey a few weeks ago the increases over time were planned to be gradual. I feel the crew numbers are driven by available crew returning to provide necessary services. The Matre'D told me that Indian crew would be returning soon.

I was on the Sept 3-6 sailing of Mariner and they said there were 1800 guests aboard.  It seemed plenty busy to me - not many sunbeds available etc.  We docked with Freedom at CocoCay and I think they must have been packed as well since the island was very busy - again, most good sunbed locations were taken, but you could find a free one here or there.  Certainly the sunbed hogs were out in force, putting their towels down and then disappearing for hours.

I was on the Freedom from Sept 3-6 and there were 2000 people on board, though at one point we were also told almost 2400.  As garywatson stated, we were at CocoCay with the Mariner and the lagoon pool was crowded. 

1 hour ago, garywatson said:

I was on the Sept 3-6 sailing of Mariner and they said there were 1800 guests aboard.  It seemed plenty busy to me - not many sunbeds available etc.  We docked with Freedom at CocoCay and I think they must have been packed as well since the island was very busy - again, most good sunbed locations were taken, but you could find a free one here or there.  Certainly the sunbed hogs were out in force, putting their towels down and then disappearing for hours.

30 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I was on the Freedom from Sept 3-6 and there were 2000 people on board, though at one point we were also told almost 2400.  As garywatson stated, we were at CocoCay with the Mariner and the lagoon pool was crowded. 

Interesting choice of vocabulary.

Both of those numbers are less than 50% of double occupancy.  So, in all, ONE ship's worth.

But it was "packed"?

1 hour ago, garywatson said:

That's twice what was on the first sailing 8/23.  We had around 900 but yours was the holiday weekend

Sailings from the UK have been 50% of capacity or 1000 whatever is less! we sailed on the Anthem of the Seas on the first sailing early in July and 1000 passengers sailed. The ship felt empty but it was great to be back sailing, in fact booked on it again for 5 nights in October, cant wait!