No more mailed luggage tags

39august

On 9/8/2021 at 3:35 PM, cruise kitty said:

I just prefer the mailed, sturdy tags 🙂  reminds of when we used to receive the docs in the mail back in the day 🙂   for myself, it kicks off the real "countdown" to my much anticipated vacation 

I also miss the count-down clock! 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pickels said:

I also miss the count-down clock! 

I don't know what countdown clock you are referring to, but there are many that you can download for free.  Just Google "countdown clock"

This one has lived in the lower right corner of my computer for as long as I can remember. 

You can only do one date at a time, so the night before each cruise, I change it to the next one, so it is waiting when I get home. 

IMG_1067.jpg.4db4598bba3ea0c781ee9c437225c67b.jpg

On 9/10/2021 at 10:57 AM, EatonDoolittle said:

I don't know what countdown clock you are referring to, but there are many that you can download for free.  Just Google "countdown clock"

This one has lived in the lower right corner of my computer for as long as I can remember. 

You can only do one date at a time, so the night before each cruise, I change it to the next one, so it is waiting when I get home. 

IMG_1067.jpg.4db4598bba3ea0c781ee9c437225c67b.jpg

I was referring to the countdown clock on Cruise Critic.  But great idea for the download clock, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 2:36 PM, 39august said:

I am the OP. Just as I suspected, when I called again today, I was NOT told they don't mail tags anymore. But, since my docs are not available to print, I was told X doesn't have access to them either. So can't mail until they are available to print. Since we are 17 days from boarding. I doubt there will be time to mail tags by the time they are available. No big deal as I know I can either print (if this option ever shows up) or get at the pier. 

On 9/8/2021 at 2:43 PM, davekathy said:

Am I the only one that believes this is ridiculous on Celebrity's part?! 

In August, we phoned X directly and booked and paid for consecutive cruises just seventeen days before the first Embarkation Day. 

We remarked to the (outstanding) Vacation Planner, "Since we are so close to E-Day, we probably won't get luggage tags, right?"  He said, "They just may go out in time for you to get them."  Then we said, "Please tell them not to send tags for the second cruise, since we will already be on board!  Save money on printing and postage."  He just laughed.

The tags for the first cruise got to us within one week.  When we got back home, after the second cruise, we found the (stupidly printed/sent) tags for the second cruise in a stack of mail that was being held at the Post Office. 

The same thing has happened at least five times before.  It's difficult, if not impossible, to "override" Celebrity's automated procedures.  Apparently, it would cost more to create a programmed override to prevent the useless tags from being printed and mailed.  (Ain't I.T. grand?)

The first set of tags had more than four times as many tags as we needed; the second set had infinitely more than we needed.

@jg51We experienced a similar situation in July. Requested mailed luggage tags and received them a couple of weeks before our 7/30 Millennium Alaska cruise. A few days before sailing, our Move-up bid was accepted so those tags became obsolete. No big deal. 

Fast forward to after the cruise ... same as you, we received yet ANOTHER set of tags in the mail (with our original suite number) in our hold mail. As you mentioned, this was not the first time for us to receive additional mailed luggage tags post cruise. Oy vey!

First world problems for sure, but also very wasteful and inefficient.

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2021 at 5:56 PM, zitsky said:

I bought these on Amazon a few years ago.  I think they were for Viking.  I think the luggage tags for Celebrity might be longer and more narrow?  I'll compare the sizes.

It shouldn’t matter, as you have to fold the A4 sheet after you print out(UK).

BTW the link takes you through to the US Amazon site and their tags are unavailable and they don’t know when they will get new stock.

3 hours ago, joetop2467 said:

We got ours for the Apex TA in the mail last week. So they are still sending them out if you request them. 

Not necessarily. I called and requested but was told that I must print the tags. 

It is hit or miss at the moment, but it seems that mailed tags are on their way out. 

On 9/9/2021 at 1:19 AM, chemmo said:

We have been cruising Celebrity long enough to remember the joy of them landing through the letter box along with the guest booklet...

I remember the days when you would put your tags on your checked luggage before you left because your luggage would be picked up from the baggage claim and appear in your room without you ever having to touch it after checking it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

Not necessarily. I called and requested but was told that I must print the tags. 

It is hit or miss at the moment, but it seems that mailed tags are on their way out. 

Is that the trend I wonder?  A year from now when I sail, will everyone be told to print them out?  We don't have a working printer at home but I have access to a color laser printer at work.

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I remember the days when you would put your tags on your checked luggage before you left because your luggage would be picked up from the baggage claim and appear in your room without you ever having to touch it after checking it. 

Never had that luxury!

Perhaps because for most of our cruises we have crossed the pond and enjoyed an independent pre cruise stay…

I do think that the ‘early days’ of ‘package’ vacations did have a luxury element whereas now a ‘package’ deal tends to focus on reducing costs rather than enhancing experience….

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I've never flown in on embarkation day, so I've never had that experience.

18 hours ago, chemmo said:

I do think that the ‘early days’ of ‘package’ vacations did have a luxury element

It wasn't a package. It's just the way things were done then! 

18 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I've never flown in on embarkation day, so I've never had that experience.

We've had to do it a few times. For instance, there was our honeymoon. We couldn't have flown in before, or we would've missed the wedding! 

• Haha 1

We returned home yesterday and checked our PO Box today for the first time since leaving for our B2B.  We had received the adhesive tags from Celebrity before flying out on September 16th.  Today we found in our mail a second set of adhesive tags for the September 17th sailing and a set for the September 24th too -- both legs were in the same suite.  A wealth of luggage tags!

On 10/3/2021 at 12:55 PM, m8zenblue said:

Lol, on our last cruise in July we ordered luggage tags, did not get them prior to cruise, but, we printed them out.

A week after we returned from cruise we got the tags from X, lol 🤣

Does the printing of the luggage tags mean printing out the tags on page 28 of the edocs?

My cabin has changed, so I will need to print updated tags, this is what I saw when I click the Print luggage tag link.

Thanks

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

Does the printing of the luggage tags mean printing out the tags on page 28 of the edocs?

My cabin has changed, so I will need to print updated tags, this is what I saw when I click the Print luggage tag link.

Thanks

When i'm online, when i click view boarding pass it has "view luggage tags"  and just that page comes up. i can print just them there.

5 hours ago, conodor said:

When i'm online, when i click view boarding pass it has "view luggage tags"  and just that page comes up. i can print just them there.

Thank you.  I see that now.  I was a little surprised that the tags did not include our names.  Now I know that I was getting the correct tags.