The Daily for Monday September 20, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. Pepperoni pizza is my usual go to. I like some punch and try not to talk gibberish.

Profound quote.

I make pork and sauerkraut a good bit; it's big here due to the German background of a lot of people in the area. And it's good luck to eat on New Year's Day. Pass on the drink. I like the wine but too $$$ for me.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

I'm back from the dentist, with a temporary fix. I'll need a crown, which I suspected. The onlay had fractured and part is still attached. I don't go back until November for the crown process. I did like the dentist and his staff, so that's a plus.

@cat shepard I'm glad to hear your friend is responding so well to chemo.

@mamaofami Good to hear that you had a nice day with Sam yesterday. I hope the conference goes well. I can't see the picture for some reason.

@Seasick Sailor So sorry to hear you're still not feeling well and about the thrush. Are you using the antifungal Rx for that? Take care.

@NextOne Safe travels.

@kazu Thanks for reposting mamaofami's picture!

@Cruising-along Safe travels and Bon Voyage!

@Crazy For Cats Here in my part of PA it's just champagne and hard liquors that are limited for now. Not wine. Restaurants and bars are frustrated as it applies to them also.

@Quartzsite Cruiser It's scary. I have a friend who thinks I'm too careful, but with my issues I don't think so and won't change my current habits. I only see 1 friend who is vaccinated without a mask, and still kind of keep my distance.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, wear your 😷, and social distance.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Actually, my amazing memory is a postit note I made when you mentioned the date.  🤣

Still amazing that you did that 🙂  

27 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Crete is one of our favourite places,  enjoy!  What port?

Oops, I'm already "losing it".  I should have said Cyprus.  We'll be in Limassol overnight the 26th-27th. 

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Still amazing that you did that 🙂  

Oops, I'm already "losing it".  I should have said Cyprus.  We'll be in Limassol overnight the 26th-27th. 

We liked Limassol when we were there in 2017 on the Prinsendam.  I wish we'd had two days there, as our one day was very busy.  We took a tour to Nicosia, but were told not to go into Turkish Cyprus as the lines going through the four checkpoints could be long and they would not wait for anyone who was late back to the bus.  

Did we listen to the guide -- NO.  We had our passports and after seeing the lines were not very long, we went into Turkish Cyprus.  The guide did have us worried, so we did not venture far before turning back.  It turned out, we had 45 minutes to get to the bus, so we stopped for gelato and bottled water.  Next time we'll be better prepared and find a way to cross the green line and spend more time there.  

After the tour was over, we took the shuttle into the old part of Limassol for a while and l like it too.

Lenda

• Like 14

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

I'm back from the dentist, with a temporary fix. I'll need a crown, which I suspected. The onlay had fractured and part is still attached. I don't go back until November for the crown process. I did like the dentist and his staff, so that's a plus.

@Quartzsite Cruiser It's scary. I have a friend who thinks I'm too careful, but with my issues I don't think so and won't change my current habits. I only see 1 friend who is vaccinated without a mask, and still kind of keep my distance.

Vanessa, I'm glad you liked the dentist and the staff, but sorry you have to wait until November for the crown.  We have a new dentist here that has the latest equipment.  The last crown I had made, he did in the office with a 3-D printer.  I was in and out in less than three hours.

I don't blame you for being careful with this virus.  We have neighbors who said last year that it was nothing and would just go away.  Boy do I wish they had been right.

It may seem the numbers in Texas are going down, but numbers can be misleading and statistics can be manipulated to reflect the answer wanted.  The news from the large cities still talks about scare ICU beds.

Unfortunately, many new cases are not being reported, since many rural counties do not have free testing anymore.  According to our local paper, a large number of counties requested the state to fund the reopening of the testing centers.  The Govnenor refused the request, so many people are not being tested. 

We are lucky in our county as the County Judge (top county official) found a private company that agreed to come in and do free testing.  If you have insurance, they will bill the insurance company, but if you don't they will bill a fund under the Cares act, according to another article in the paper.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Am I the only one who can't see mamaofami's photo?  I get a blank screen with a huge - in the middle of the screen. 😞  

Me neither.  I'm on Edge on my desktop.

Thanks @kazu - just saw it on the next page.  🙂

Edited by Happily@Sea
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Vanessa, I'm glad you liked the dentist and the staff, but sorry you have to wait until November for the crown.  We have a new dentist here that has the latest equipment.  The last crown I had made, he did in the office with a 3-D printer.  I was in and out in less than three hours.

I don't blame you for being careful with this virus.  We have neighbors who said last year that it was nothing and would just go away.  Boy do I wish they had been right.

It may seem the numbers in Texas are going down, but numbers can be misleading and statistics can be manipulated to reflect the answer wanted.  The news from the large cities still talks about scare ICU beds.

Lenda

Lenda, the dentist's office website says they can do a crown in a single appointment, so I'll see.

Our county report just came out for the weekend and in the last 72 hours there were 1350 cases! Testing is pretty readily available with the county having a lot of community testing, including mobile vans that visit different areas daily (and it's free). I think our hospitals are pretty full and even regular beds are a bit scarce, and we have lots of hospitals.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Unfortunately, many new cases are not being reported, since many rural counties do not have free testing anymore.  According to our local paper, a large number of counties requested the state to fund the reopening of the testing centers.  The Govnenor refused the request, so many people are not being tested. 

Lenda. You are so right. My DW is an RN at our local hospital. It is difficult to get the real numbers out because powers that be try to manipulate them to their advantage. This is a very serious problem and we all need to be very careful.

Jim

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Same here. CC had my iPad on lockdown for two days after a week of intermittent problems. I cleared my cookies and all is well now.

Glad it worked for you.  I’ve cleared cookies twice and really fed up.  I’m using Google chrome which is a PITA on my IPad.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

So then I won’t be surprised when it all goes back to letting me read but not post tomorrow.

And it might work - who knows?  If you are in the mood, download Google Chrome and use it temporarily.  Nothing I did solved the problem on a permanent basis.  Temporary yes - one post and then it was back to quoting the entire thread.

We’ll see tomorrow I guess and hope things are fixed 🤞

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, kazu said:

Glad it worked for you.  I’ve cleared cookies twice and really fed up.  I’m using Google chrome which is a PITA on my IPad.

I’m fed up too.  It doesn’t matter what device I’m using or browser. 

But I did try something different today and so far it’s working better. Instead of going through my usual steps to get to the HAL board I go through the change forum box at the bottom of the screen. However, the change forum box is only on other boards. Right now I’m following several roll calls and switch when I’m done reading those. I’m not sure that this is a true fix but it’s working for me today. 

I’m beginning to wonder if there is something broken in their link on the home page. 

Edited to say that I access the threads I’m following via email. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. Pepperoni pizza is my usual go to. I like some punch and try not to talk gibberish.

Profound quote.

I make pork and sauerkraut a good bit; it's big here due to the German background of a lot of people in the area. And it's good luck to eat on New Year's Day. Pass on the drink. I like the wine but too $$$ for me.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

@cat shepard I'm glad to hear your friend is responding so well to chemo.

@mamaofami Good to hear that you had a nice day with Sam yesterday. I hope the conference goes well. I can't see the picture for some reason.

@Seasick Sailor So sorry to hear you're still not feeling well and about the thrush. Are you using the antifungal Rx for that? Take care.

@NextOne Safe travels.

@kazu Thanks for reposting mamaofami's picture!

@Cruising-along Safe travels and Bon Voyage!

@Crazy For Cats Here in my part of PA it's just champagne and hard liquors that are limited for now. Not wine. Restaurants and bars are frustrated as it applies to them also.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, wear your 😷, and social distance.

Thanks for the additional information on the limits.  My sister may not be aware that it doesn’t apply to wine.  She is in a Philly suburb.  

i will say that I forgot to think about the champagne.  I’ll need to check that out too.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Same here. CC had my iPad on lockdown for two days after a week of intermittent problems. I cleared my cookies and all is well now.

Clearing cookies didn’t work for me, sometimes it would but only temporarily. After clearing my browser history and cookies for the umpteenth time the other day I decided that couldn’t be the problem each time. 

See my previous post to see what I’m doing today. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I’m fed up too.  It doesn’t matter what device I’m using or browser. 

But I did try something different today and so far it’s working better. Instead of going through my usual steps to get to the HAL board I go through the change forum box at the bottom of the screen. However, the change forum box is only on other boards. Right now I’m following several roll calls and switch when I’m done reading those. I’m not sure that this is a true fix but it’s working for me today. 

I’m beginning to wonder if there is something broken in their link on the home page. 

Edited to say that I access the threads I’m following via email. 

that’s interesting, Sharon.  Thanks. I’ll try that but while I have access to the notifications by email.  It’s a complete schnozzle and I end up having to go to Chrome to respond to my roll call.  Grrr.

I guess we will see tomorrow but I was sweating bullets trying to get the meal recommendation up.  Google was going goofy and it took 5 tries.

It’s all Debbie’s tomorrow and at least, if I can’t post, it’s not the end of the world 😉

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

guess we will see tomorrow but I was sweating bullets trying to get the meal recommendation up.  Google was going goofy and it took 5 tries.

It really shouldn’t be like this. I’ve just not complained enough to CC. In the past when I’ve complained or asked a question all I got back was a stock response, nothing personal. Not that they can do that for every email they get but it’s annoying when the answer they give you has nothing to do with the problem. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from what will be a hot day in central Texas.  This will be quick, so I can tackle the yard before it gets too hot.

Pepperoni pizza is my favorite, but we usually add a lot more to a pizza except anchovies.  Punch day and gibberish day will mainly be ignored.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  The wine sounds nice, but pricey

Like the Cicero quote.  Just try not to over think things.

@mamaofami  Carol, good picture of you and Sam.  Glad you had a good day together.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope the medicine is working and your're feeling better.  Looking forward to seeing you back on the Daily soon.  Just as soon as I reposted this, I saw your post.  Glad your better and sorry about the thrush.

We have been to Lerwick three times, and in 2003. we had to miss it.  The Rotterdam was caught in a bad storm between Greenland and Canada for two days, so we had to cut one port.  Our first visit was in 2009 on the Tathitian Princess, and we took the tour to Scalloway Castle. 

In 2017, we were in Lerwick twice on the Prinsendam.  The first time we walked around town, which being there on a Sunday, meant most stores were closed.  The second time, we rented a car and drove around the island.

I'll post pictures of our walk around town in another post.  These are from our drive around the island.

DSC00315.thumb.JPG.856ba87d63316f7d0980447221236594.JPG

Sumbergh Heat and the lighthouse

DSC00324.thumb.JPG.1eab1c31bdd0a8c69baf84e725fdfd8d.JPG

DSC00325.thumb.JPG.ec3a231beb5f3ff6f1f823f04a3683cb.JPG

Jarlshof, the site of the remains of a viking village

DSC00331.thumb.JPG.6e001709038454e4ec7c2a2253eaa754.JPG

To get to the southern tip of the island and Sumburgh Head, you had to drive accross the airport runway, so the road was closed when a plane was landing to taking off.

DSC00333.thumb.JPG.425391aa45600ca042b4ec127753f8f6.JPG

Scenery along the road heading back to Lerwich and the part of the island north of town.

DSC00338.thumb.JPG.ef9a61e1e027386052525a38f862f763.JPG

DSC00346.thumb.JPG.4819e78322b93d568a5a0cb395bf1c16.JPG

A couple of interior pictures of Scalloway Castle

DSC00350.thumb.JPG.441cab0eec148513b30e1132ef1e879c.JPG

DSC00354.thumb.JPG.ed4e34caef7d1e4ea7cf77d1f9d0f707.JPG

Scenes from the northern part of the island

DSC00364.thumb.JPG.268807c8f2eef56319a7a17e42532cf0.JPG

DSC00373.thumb.JPG.4a933e6414ce2b2a820ae8dd58bad231.JPG

DSC00374.thumb.JPG.5c8a9f0fb9a0f798384a93b5759b2458.JPG

Lenda

What a treat to see blue sky in Scotland!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

It really shouldn’t be like this. I’ve just not complained enough to CC. In the past when I’ve complained or asked a question all I got back was a stock response, nothing personal. Not that they can do that for every email they get but it’s annoying when the answer they give you has nothing to do with the problem. 

It’s a waste of time IMO to complain to them.  Better off to post on the Help thread.  At least Jenn deals with it there 😉 

And now I am posting on my regular spot.  WTH?  Wonder how long that will last or if this posts.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s a waste of time IMO to complain to them.  Better off to post on the Help thread.  At least Jenn deals with it there 😉 

And now I am posting on my regular spot.  WTH?  Wonder how long that will last or if this posts.

I think their new upgrade must be causing all these issues.  It seems to hit us all at different times and we’re all using different devices.  I have gotten very frustrated when it takes all day and I’m using data to post.  I hope they get it fixed.  I do nothing different and today it’s working great.  

• Like 7

We had our conference with all the therapists, MD and social worker today and their goal is to bring Sam up to where he was before he had the second stroke. We think he's already there but they expect to keep him another two weeks which is fine with me since the longer he is there, the more he will accomplish and the stronger he will be when he comes home. I feel like I'm on a mini vacation where I don't have to worry all the time that he's being properly taken care of and he wont fall. An awful way to get there, but I'm less stressed at this point.

As far as CC, my pictures with my morning post doesn't show on my iPad, only on my desktop which seems odd. Then again, my iPad didn't allow me to post this morning and I had to post from the desktop yet my post is on the iPad minus the picture. I think CC hs a mind of its own these days.

Carol

• Like 18

47 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

We had our conference with all the therapists, MD and social worker today and their goal is to bring Sam up to where he was before he had the second stroke. We think he's already there but they expect to keep him another two weeks which is fine with me since the longer he is there, the more he will accomplish and the stronger he will be when he comes home. I feel like I'm on a mini vacation where I don't have to worry all the time that he's being properly taken care of and he wont fall. An awful way to get there, but I'm less stressed at this point.

As far as CC, my pictures with my morning post doesn't show on my iPad, only on my desktop which seems odd. Then again, my iPad didn't allow me to post this morning and I had to post from the desktop yet my post is on the iPad minus the picture. I think CC hs a mind of its own these days.

Carol

Carol, I'm glad there is a plan in place for Sam. 

• Like 6

I don't remember who posted that she used an Instant Pot to cook potatoes for mashed potatoes, but whoever it was, thank you.  I tried it tonight.  Not only was it easy, but they were the best I've ever made.  I'm not going back to the old method.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

I posted your picture for the group as everyone wanted to see it.

I hope you didn’t mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1