The Daily for Thursday September 30, 2021

richwmn

49 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, lots of great photos today from all the unique and interesting places to visit when visiting Hilo.  I have only one photo to add - more offerings to the Goddess Pele.  Fruit, flowers and the bottle of what might be gin.  I hope these people got the protection and forgiveness they asked for.🌺00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKr_fM5ERe-5Ud0iR09leI3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365181657

Still feeling well so that's encouraging.  And Brenda and I chatted for hours!  No moving vans showed up though to our disappointment.  😇

Glad you're still feeling well.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I've never had a mudpack. I try to be prepared for untoward events. A salute to World Maritime Day. It's also National Day for Truth and Reconciliation in Canada I read.

Interesting quote.

I like acorn squash as a side dish. I like the drink, but pass on the port. I like Roy's meal as well.

I have been to Hilo once on a land trip and more recently on a Princess Cruise LA to Hawaii.

I'm late today. I had fasting blood work this AM that wasn't until 10, then came home to eat a late breakfast, then off to PT from which I've just returned.

It was only 46 this AM! It has nicely warmed up to 70. Pretty soon I'll need to bring the cacti inside for the winter.

@lindaler I'm glad you're feeling better. Thank goodness nothing broken!

@cat shepard Good luck at the Ortho visit and the gym. 

@mamaofami Welcome home Sam! Nice plans to celebrate DGS's birthday.

@StLouisCruisers Great to hear you're feeling better today.

@Seasick Sailor Yikes on the exploding bottle. 

@aliaschief Congrats on the negative tests! 

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. It was hard at PT with huffing and puffing, but necessary.

A few pics from 1992, converted from slides

Black Sand Beach

610239576_079-10.1992-BlackSandBeach.thumb.jpg.ed7a57159899e19f5fc25f56c116def3.jpg

Kilauea Caldera

282950293_081-10.1992-KilaueaCalderaHawaiiVolcanoesNationalParkTheBigIslandHawaii.thumb.jpg.987877d0fec17e1bc04c5747cccfc632.jpg

Sign marking lava flow

654936958_084-10.1992-Signmarkingthe1982lavaflowintheKilaueaCaldera.thumb.jpg.2ce0ee4369750d31eeccf74a6bbe3291.jpg

Rainbow Falls

1925809430_096-10.1992-Waterfall.thumb.jpg.f7df8fbddab3778d6a74513c781615fa.jpg

2006539559_092-10.1992-Orchids.thumb.jpg.ddaea79021cb9ac900917f7eae33d444.jpg

Approaching Hilo 2012

207786692_028-ApproachingHilo1_23_12.thumb.jpg.6d92de57835d5ea633379f518ed52e80.jpg

Trees planted after 1946 Tsunami in Hilo

62675631_044-Treesplantedafter1946TsunamiinHilo.thumb.jpg.68d1f7da342bba832c06b8fee9d407f7.jpg

Statue of King Kamehameha

848515743_047-StatueofKingKamehmeha.thumb.jpg.5aaad8e66b897556c0929d0ba13d1b42.jpg

Entering Kileauea Volcano National Park

1483396044_058-EnteringKilaueaVolcanoNationalPark.thumb.jpg.eea0963917830e266759cab9a92f78d0.jpg

1656562560_062-KilaueaSteaming.thumb.jpg.7f9d6f2eedcc8eec95a86845085d11e3.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Wow, lots of great photos today from all the unique and interesting places to visit when visiting Hilo.  I have only one photo to add - more offerings to the Goddess Pele.  Fruit, flowers and the bottle of what might be gin.  I hope these people got the protection and forgiveness they asked for.🌺00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKr_fM5ERe-5Ud0iR09leI3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365181657

Still feeling well so that's encouraging.  And Brenda and I chatted for hours!  No moving vans showed up though to our disappointment.  😇

Pleased to hear you are feeling well Sandi and hopefully the pain doesn't come back.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We returned from Kona last night. As we readied for take-off, DD sent a photo of a volcano erupting and mentioned that even the volcanoes were sad that we were leaving. Imagine my surprise to read about Kilauea really erupting yesterday! We visited Hilo on our last HAL trip on the Eurodam April, 2019. Wow!  We toured the Lyman Museum in the morning and visited the Pana'evewa Rainforest Zoo in the afternoon.  We are looking forward to another stop in Hilo next year on the Zuiderdam, Hawaii-Tahiti cruise.  Wish that we could also stop in Kona. The flower picture was taken in the Lili'uokalani Gardens in Hilo, April, 2019.  The volcano picture is from DD from 9/29/21.

IMG_2921.JPG

web1_MicrosoftTeams-image--45-_0.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon/evening.   I've honestly never had an acorn squash and now definitely plan to try one.  My mom was not a squash fan, so only summer squash was served in our house.  As an adult, I caught on that butternut was really good, as it started appearing in soups, but have had no clue about other ones to try.  You learn something new every day here on the Daily.  And such lovely photos of Hilo.  I miss Hawaii.

I had a distressing call last night from a very long-time friend that she received diagnosis of breast cancer.  Luckily pretty early stage.  Another reminder, Ladies, to keep monitoring.  Timing is everything with this all-too-common disease.   There may be times when I ask for her to be on the Care List, as she goes through her journey.  Right now, things are just beginning and it's a long process.

Meanwhile, still pondering that exploded wine bottle of @Seasick Sailor.  That's a new one, too.  And what a mess with red wine!  Scratching head on that one for sure.

Oh...and @Seasick Sailor, DH is actively looking at resales at the beautiful Nanea.  I never thought he would go for the idea, but at this time of life, it would really fit the bill.  We want to get the family together, but no more hard work of second home stuff.  We're sooooo over that.

But enough rambling.  Enjoy your evening, Everyone. Don't let your wine bottles explode.   And many thanks to The Team here.  😊

Maxine

• Like 24

I have been to the Hawaiian Island numerous times, bot by plane and by cruise ship and spent several weeks in time shares on the various islands. Lahina is my favorite port in the Hawaiian Isles but Hilo is a very close second. I am so sorry that I have no shareable photos. Queen Liliuokalani Park is one of my favorite places. Gorgeous gardens and very often the site of weddings. The Hilo Farmers Market is very interesting also and Big Island Candies in Hilo is not to be missed.

Our (Kakalena and myself)  Nov. r/t San Diego/Hawaii cruise was cancelled and I am now holding my breathe that our replacement cruise in Jan. will go.

Jane

• Like 18

Disappointed at one aspect on     H il o. Saw a lovely sun suit at abc store on each island before Hilo. Wanted it for my new born great granddaughter  thought I would wait to buy in Hilo.at the pier i asked where the ABC was and the answer was “we don’t have abc store in Hilo.  Bummer. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So a scary thing happened last night. Our friend brought a bottle of cabernet and as soon as I pulled the cork out, the bottle exploded! What a mess. Another friend came in to help and said "grab a straw".. no idea how it shattered..

Yikes! Hope no one got hurt. 

9 hours ago, NextOne said:

BTW, did you see that Kilauea erupted yesterday? 

Some cool videos from usgs.gov

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 9

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Interesting days. I love acorn squash sweet or savory.

@mamaofami welcome home to Sam and happy birthday to the 16 year old. I hope you all had a nice celebratory dinner.

@StLouisCruisers I am glad to hear you are feeling better. 

I know there were others I wanted to address, but I did not make notes and am quite tired. Please know you are all in my prayers at least a few times daily. 

Very late for me today. We had a nice visit with our youngest daughter and her son yesterday afternoon and will see them again along with DSIL tomorrow afternoon.

We are staying with with my DMIL so checking on her, her house , car, etc...as well as just spending some quality time with her yesterday and this morning. The three of us, DMIL, DH and I, met my aunt and cousin for supper mid afternoon today. So, so far it's been a great trip.

Tomorrow morning will be business matters, then the three of us will go to DD's house around mid afternoon to visit and have dinner.

Hopefully I will have a few minutes to check in earlier tomorrow, but no guarantee especially since our grandson keeps us entertained and on the  go.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I've been to Hilo twice.  First time was on Celebrity Infiniti in 2004, which was a one way cruise from Ensenada to Honolulu and then again on the Eurodam, a circle Hawaii RT cruise from San Diego, in 2018.  In 2018, we rented a car in Hilo and drove up the east coast which was totally delightful.  Others have posted great pics, thank you, and the waterfalls and coastal views are beautiful.  Onboard the Eurodam, we had a native Hawaiian lecturer who was excellent.  Hilo and Kona are complete opposites, with Hilo being my preference.

• Like 15

Rabbits, white rabbits on this first day of October.

Thanks for all the daily information, humour and photos.  We have been to Hilo (Volendam) so photos bring back good memories.

@StLouisCruiserspleased that you are feeling better today.

@mamaofamiWelcome home to Sam, hope  your DGS had a very happy Birthday..

@lindalerpleased that you are feeling better after falling yesterday

@Seasick Sailor  had  not heard of an exploding bottle of wine. Thankful no one was injured.

@AncientWanderer  sorry that your friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Does she live nearby?

It's a pleasant sunny day, temperature 15 C.

Take care, stay safe everyone.

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the daily information, humour and photos.  We have been to Hilo (Volendam) so photos bring back good memories.

@Seasick Sailor  had  not heard of an exploding bottle of wine. Thankful no one was injured.

@AncientWanderer  sorry that your friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Does she live nearby?

So good to see you folks up healthy and posting. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good evening!  Just a short note since it’s so late. Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

We have been to Hilo on a land trip back in 1984. We stayed on the Kona side and rented a car. I know we went to a waterfall but I’m not sure which one, the one kb posted (sorry I don’t remember the rest of your screen name) looks familiar—Akaka Falls. Seems a lifetime ago. 

DM and I had a great day and she is thrilled with her toes and nails. We keep saying we need to get pedicures more often. I sometimes get one on board but didn’t want to this time, plus Tammy at the salon does a much better job. 

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 13

2 hours ago, erewhon said:

She does live close to us, Erewhon.  Thank you very much for asking.  And Jannie is one of those friends who has been in our social circle since we were in college.  Extended family, really.  I'm going to hold her hand as best as possible.  It's amazing what a difference it makes having people around when one is having health problems.  

And ditto on rabbit rabbit.  October 1st kicks off the most wonderful time of the year.  DD and I were talking about how all is really delightful for the next three months.

Although, we may like Halloween more than most.  😉

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

She does live close to us, Erewhon.  Thank you very much for asking.  And Jannie is one of those friends who has been in our social circle since we were in college.  Extended family, really.  I'm going to hold her hand as best as possible.  It's amazing what a difference it makes having people around when one is having health problems.  

And ditto on rabbit rabbit.  October 1st kicks off the most wonderful time of the year.  DD and I were talking about how all is really delightful for the next three months.

Although, we may like Halloween more than most.  😉

Thanks for  your reply.

She  will be pleased that you live close to her, and  able to support her as needed.  

Sending very best wishes to her for her treatments.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

So good to see you folks up healthy and posting. 

It's good to see that you and Sue are off for another cruise,  impossible for us to do so these days. 

Sending Best Wishes for a fantastic Pinnacle Suite cruise.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I had a distressing call last night from a very long-time friend that she received diagnosis of breast cancer.  Luckily pretty early stage

So sorry to hear this 😔 Hopefully she can be treated successfully 🙏🏻 

• Thanks 1