The Daily for Tuesday October 05, 2021

richwmn

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Nieuw Statendam is meeting the pilot right now.  I'll post more later but here are the lists:

Today’s care list:

Kakalina
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend recovering from liver transplant
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
Allen recovering from MOHS surgery

From the rotation:
Me awaiting PET test results
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruising-along on Eurodam
Welcome home Jajmd
Aliaschief in Pinnacle Suite
Sea Viewer at sea
2 days for Vict0riann, VMaxx1700, sailingdutchy and NextOne(and negative)
5 days for Sharon, lazey1 and Koningsdam
Mr Boston on Cape Cod
Booster for HAL Sailer
Ger-77 celebration of friend’s 75th birthday
Great family gathering for Sam
Nieuw Statendam in Everglades
Vict0rian reporting from Frabkfort
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, haven’t you been waiting for those PET scan results for a long time?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I know there's folks on our Daily that are cruising with us on Rotterdam between Dec 12 and Jan 16th. Has anyone else gotten the notice for visas? We have gotten 9 notices in the last few days! 

I’ve gotten several but not recently. Maybe it’s because you are onboard for longer than we are though. And, BTW, we’ve gotten those email notices for all our cruises, the Alaskan and the Coastal. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I know there's folks on our Daily that are cruising with us on Rotterdam between Dec 12 and Jan 16th. Has anyone else gotten the notice for visas? We have gotten 9 notices in the last few days! 

Every time I ask my PCC about them he says, don't worry, you don't need anything. Its just automatic and sent to everyone.

• Like 10

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Great collection of days today. I always try to do something nice. Kindness goes a long way as does a smile. 

Thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to those on the Care list. 

I’ve made today’s meal only once before and I think it was a Bon Appetit or America’s Test Kitchen recipe. It had mushrooms in it also. But for tonight’s meal we are having baked taco seasoned chicken drumsticks. I found a package in the freezer yesterday. And tomorrow we are having Miso and Sake marinated sablefish.  It’s better if it marinates for a few days so I started that yesterday. 

I was interested in today’s drink until I saw it has tequila in it. 👎 I would prefer an Aperol Spritz. 

AA4C0187-908D-4A2A-BAF8-233B4D4EBEE6.thumb.jpeg.48859942c9de36230ee6b16d46a82647.jpeg

I need to run to the store sometime today for some last minute things for the cruise and our DD is coming over so I can give her some instructions for Blue. She is going to pick up Blue for us the day before we get home so he doesn’t have to spend the weekend at the vets. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19

Kind of a cool, rainy day here today.  I have read the daily each day for the past few weeks, but so late in the day that it seems to late to reply.  Been working each day at my previous rental log home on 4 acres.  Had landscapers working for a week cutting brush, trimming trees, etc and can not walk in areas that I hadn't seen before.

I attended a two-room country school with first thru third grade in one room and fourth thru sixth in the other.  It was built in the 1890s and is still in use.  Early this year my DS and I drove by it and can see that they are adding to it.

I was a teacher also.  Came into it in a different way.  While in the Navy stationed in the Philippines I went to night and weekend school and earned a degree in math as I thought that I would need it as I planned on an engineering degree after the Navy.  Later I attended an advanced one-year Navy electronics school, did well, and was asked to stay on as an instructor.  Taught math and advanced electronics for a couple of years and found I really enjoyed teaching.  Fun to see the light in a student's eyes as he finally understands a concept.  So later, at my last tour of duty in Hawaii I studied nights and weekends for a Masters Degree in Education from visiting instructors from Pepperdine University.

Thought I would teach math or science at a high school in the Seattle area, but ended up teaching for a medical ultrasound company; teaching doctors to use the equipment and technicians how to repair it.  

Later worked as a civilian for the Navy developing curriculum for the Trident submarine fleet and teaching the courses for a few times before turning them over to the Navy instructors.

Ray

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Good afternoon from Venice.  It is warm and sunny 22°C/72°F.

Last night I damaged my back in someway and now those two suitcases at the end of our room look very intimidating.  We went to a farmacia for voltarol gel (though Ellen suggested that embalming fluid may be a better purchase!) 

This was the view from our room this morning....

DSCN2392.thumb.JPG.c0c919a8964e218bc7fce01d112ddc05.JPG

Thank you Rich and Roy for the lists.

Looks lovely!  Are you near the airport?  Somehow this hotel looks familiar.   Good luck on your back, your DW has a wicked sense of humour! 

• Like 13

Good morning and thanks all!  I will gladly celebrate teachers,  I was one as is our DD.  I love story tellers and Robert Munsch is a favourite,  our children were lucky and both heard him read while in school.   His love you forever has me In Tears every time!  

We enjoy an aperol spritz at spritz o'clock, and the sunrise version sounds good too.

image.thumb.jpeg.137956652c1d685c4af3dbfa0141347f.jpeg

happy anniversary @kplady

We were supposed to visit Kagoshima but shortly before sailing they switched it to Sakaiminato,  which has one of the top Japanese gardens so I will share a few photos. 

7566075B-D0FA-4FCD-9A83-D15BD188FEEE.jpeg

E0EB22BE-1BEA-4560-A985-86F0D7CAC974.jpeg

646220F1-2D8E-4645-B259-EE9FE9674D72.jpeg

AC4C5DEF-084B-4316-8714-A7513B0DE422.jpeg

D7B42C75-B4E7-4965-B192-0556E521F956.jpeg

FB45687D-219E-4C49-8326-F4164149C960.jpeg

8C45AF80-C69E-42E6-9DB4-FD6BD6818A5A.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Happy Anniversary @kplady and your DH; best wishes for many more happy, healthy years together!

@Horizon chaser 1957the smoke has cleared off somewhat over the morning, but you can still feel it and see it in the air.  Thankfully, neither DH nor I have breathing issues, or it would certainly be something to worry about.  Wow, it sounds like you're set for the winter with your stock of wood, nuts, etc.  As long as you have enough wine to carry you through . . .you know, the essentials!

@bennybear love the photos of the Japanese gardens - I find them so calming to look at; I remember our visits to Japan and feeling a sense of stillness take over the moment we entered the area.  Look forward to going back one day.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22

4 hours ago, bdrcole said:

From grade primary to grade 8, I went to school in the last one room schoolhouse in Nova Scotia.  The most students during my time in the school was 18 and there were 3 of us in my grade and we stayed together from primary to grade 8.

My mother was the teacher during my time in the one room school. 

Oh my, you are bringing back memories 😉.  My mother started her teaching career in a one room school house too.  She took us to see it years later.

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

A cleaning crew is coming by today. Not exactly sure to what extent they will be cleaning. We should have taken vacation during this remodel..

I feel for you.  We went through that a few years ago and it is a mess and loud.  I said we should get away but DH wanted to make sure we were here in case the contractor needed us.  It was a good thing we stayed.  There were several problems he found in the structure that had to be corrected.
Glad it is nearly over for you 👍 

@ger_77so sorry about your air.  That’s awful.  I hope it dissipates quickly 🙏🏻 

• Like 16

30 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  I will gladly celebrate teachers,  I was one as is our DD.  I love story tellers and Robert Munsch is a favourite,  our children were lucky and both heard him read while in school.   His love you forever has me In Tears every time!  

We enjoy an aperol spritz at spritz o'clock, and the sunrise version sounds good too.

image.thumb.jpeg.137956652c1d685c4af3dbfa0141347f.jpeg

happy anniversary @kplady

We were supposed to visit Kagoshima but shortly before sailing they switched it to Sakaiminato,  which has one of the top Japanese gardens so I will share a few photos. 

7566075B-D0FA-4FCD-9A83-D15BD188FEEE.jpeg

E0EB22BE-1BEA-4560-A985-86F0D7CAC974.jpeg

646220F1-2D8E-4645-B259-EE9FE9674D72.jpeg

AC4C5DEF-084B-4316-8714-A7513B0DE422.jpeg

D7B42C75-B4E7-4965-B192-0556E521F956.jpeg

FB45687D-219E-4C49-8326-F4164149C960.jpeg

8C45AF80-C69E-42E6-9DB4-FD6BD6818A5A.jpeg

Lovely photos, thanks for sharing.

Graham.

• Like 7

Update re Kakalena: Her medical emergency is over and she is home resting. She had a loss of blood and is now iron deficient and potassium deficient. These conditions are treated medically . She still has to have more tests done on an outpatient basis.  Her hospital stay turned out to be in outpatient observation as there were no regular rooms available. "Darn that Covid 19 virus"

• Like 11
  • Thanks 13

Please to report that the back pain is easing and we hope that another good nights sleep will ease it even more.

@cat shepard Good grief, I don't think I could have done one of those stretches prior to the incident!  Thanks for the info tho'.

@bennybear It is the Hilton Garden Inn, Mestre, so quite close to the airport.  p.s. those pics of Sakaiminato are stunning.

Happy anniversary @kplady

• Like 20

4 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Update re Kakalena: Her medical emergency is over and she is home resting. She had a loss of blood and is now iron deficient and potassium deficient. These conditions are treated medically . She still has to have more tests done on an outpatient basis.  Her hospital stay turned out to be in outpatient observation as there were no regular rooms available. "Darn that Covid 19 virus"

Pleased to hear Kakalena is home resting and can be treated medically.

Graham.

• Like 12

There have been short but intense bursts of rain here all morning so I am postponing going to the store to pick up extra things for my first aid kit such as additional masks. Fortunately I have adequate supplies of all my prescription and non-prescriptions meds that my Dr's. want me to take daily. I have pretty much decided on what clothing to bring for the upcoming 7 day cruise. Now I just need to go pour myself a cup of ambition and get to work, Never an easy thing for me to do but having Dolly's song running through my head helps. 

Checked my Navigator today and it is only 4 more days to go. I am really looking forward to meeting Sharon and the other dailites that are on this Ca. Coastal cruise.

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 20

18 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear she is home resting and hope that the medical treatment can help her 🙏🏻 

18 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Please to report that the back pain is easing and we hope that another good nights sleep will ease it even more.

YAY 🙂. I hope a good night’s sleep helps and you are feeling MUCH better tomorrow. 🙏🏻 

• Like 15