Ordering from Dive-In and NY Pizza through the app -- how well does it work?

MisterBill99

I understand that you can now order from Dive-In and NY Pizza through the app, so you don't have to stand on a line to place the order, or even go there until your food is ready. I'm wondering how well it is working. Do they notify you when the food is ready? I really like the idea of being able to order from Dive-In or NY Pizza while I'm sitting at the Lido buffet eating other stuff, or order. Or better yet ordering late night wings from NY Pizza while I'm elsewhere on the ship and not have to kill a half hour standing to place the order and then waiting for it to be prepared. Will it also work with Grand Dutch Cafe on ships that have one?

We did it twice on our Alaska cruise in September.  It was a breeze to order and then we went up to the Dive In.  We checked in with the gentleman who was directing customers and had our food within a minute or two both times.  We chose a table and they brought it out to us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

Is there a charge for this if you're not having the food delivered to your cabin?

This is to order for pick-up, and I'm almost positive that there is no fee. It's instead of standing on line to order.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, dfish said:

We did it twice on our Alaska cruise in September.  It was a breeze to order and then we went up to the Dive In.  We checked in with the gentleman who was directing customers and had our food within a minute or two both times.  We chose a table and they brought it out to us.

Thanks. Was that after you were notified that it was ready, or after the time they told you it would be ready when you placed the order? Or did you just walk over right after you ordered? Was it also available for New York Pizza?

Edited by MisterBill99

We also did it with Dive-In and Pizza while on NA several times!  It worked great!  There are three green "lines" that basically tell you they received the Order, Working on Order and Order Complete to be picked up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

Thanks. Was that after you were notified that it was ready, or after the time they told you it would be ready when you placed the order? Or did you just walk over right after you ordered? Was it also available for New York Pizza?

We walked up from our cabin after we ordered.  I don't recall that they gave us a time.  Since we were there both times when the order was completed we didn't get a notification.  It may have been available for New York Pizza.  We didn't try that.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I understand that you can now order from Dive-In and NY Pizza through the app, so you don't have to stand on a line to place the order, 

On the Nieuw Statendam, I never had to stand in line to place an order.  While my order was being prepared, I secured a table and obtained a beverage from the near-by watering hole.  What makes these "apps" so wonderful?  

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

On the Nieuw Statendam, I never had to stand in line to place an order.  While my order was being prepared, I secured a table and obtained a beverage from the near-by watering hole.  What makes these "apps" so wonderful?  

You are lucky.  Every time I’ve  gone there has been at least 10 people ahead of me.  This was always around noon.  If you go at 3 pm, probably not.  The app is a great idea.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You are lucky.  Every time I’ve  gone there has been at least 10 people ahead of me.  This was always around noon.  If you go at 3 pm, probably not.  The app is a great idea.

I avoid any dining facilities on any cruise ship at prime breakfast and lunch meal time that is not the MDR unless I absolutely must do so.  I have learned my lessons from previous cruises.  A New York Deli Pizza or Sandwich will taste just as good at 2:30 P. M. as it would at high Noon.  And, without the hassle or wait.  

Just now, rkacruiser said:

I avoid any dining facilities on any cruise ship at prime breakfast and lunch meal time that is not the MDR unless I absolutely must do so.  I have learned my lessons from previous cruises.  A New York Deli Pizza or Sandwich will taste just as good at 2:30 P. M. as it would at high Noon.  And, without the hassle or wait.  

I get up very early and by noon I’m plenty hungry.  I also eat dinner around 6 or 6:30 so I’m not going to be eating pizza at 2:30.  You asked why people are using apps, that’s why.  

• Like 3

Different folks; different strokes.

I have to "work" on a day at sea to arise to have breakfast in the MDR before they close.  MDR or Lido Lunch during their opening times?   Why do I need to patronize them at that time?  A mid-afternoon lunch suits my lifestyle well.  I prefer the latest sitting of dinner that I can obtain.  

Ours is nothing more complex than a different life style.  It is 7:51 P. M. EDT as I am tying this.  Part of my dinner for this evening is currently in my oven baking. 

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Different folks; different strokes.

I have to "work" on a day at sea to arise to have breakfast in the MDR before they close.  MDR or Lido Lunch during their opening times?   Why do I need to patronize them at that time?  A mid-afternoon lunch suits my lifestyle well.  I prefer the latest sitting of dinner that I can obtain.  

Ours is nothing more complex than a different life style.  It is 7:51 P. M. EDT as I am tying this.  Part of my dinner for this evening is currently in my oven baking. 

Uggggg, way to late.  I get up at between 3:45 to 4 am during the week.  My body doesn’t recognize weekends or holidays.  At home I like to eating supper by 5:30, earlier if I can.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Uggggg, way to late.  I get up at between 3:45 to 4 am during the week.  My body doesn’t recognize weekends or holidays.  At home I like to eating supper by 5:30, earlier if I can.

As I said, different strokes for different folks.  For 35 years, I had to arise no later than 5:00 A. M. and needed to leave for work by 6:45 A. M.   An earlier arise time and departure time on those Winter mornings when I had to get my car cleared from the snowfall that had taken place.  Then, having to navigate on icy roads (once did a 180 degree spin on a local street and ended up in an empty parking lot with, thanks to the good Lord, no opposing traffic on the other side of the street.)

When I retired, being able to arise at what I consider to be a "normal" time became and is a priority for me.  I think I am a bit different from my late Mother, though.  She arose early; retired late.  After she retired, if she arose before Noon, it was a major event for her.  

It's good that most ships offer Room Service when some of us require that.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Either you have the app or you don’t and that’s fine. Choices. Now that the kinks are being fixed I’m finding it very useful. Access to several newspaper. Making reservations. Looking at menus.

Reminders of your excursions and booking. 

The more I use it the more I like it. It’s OK not to grasp new technology but IMO not keeping up with it makes my life harder at least for me.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Have you ever ordered late night at the NY Deli/Pizza pre-Covid? When I did it, there were several people on line in front of me, the person taking the order was slow, and then I had to wait 15+ minutes for my wings to be ready. Basically a half hour that I did not have to be there. If I can place the order from my cabin or Billboard Onboard, or when leaving a show, it will save me the hassle of having to wait at the venue while they do all of the above.

Similar for Dive-In. Many times my wife or I will want something from them while the other is eating at the Lido.  This way we can just order it and go to get it when it's ready and go back to our table.

As someone who said that you avoided places at peak lunch times because it was too crowded, I would think you would appreciate the benefits of being able to order and just pick it up when it's ready. Of course, I have no interest in having lunch at 2:30, so my requirements are probably different than yours.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 2

Does the app also work to reserve a specific time for dinner in the MDR ? 

If you can reserve your time for dinner can you also reserve a specific table or at least request a table for 2 or 4 ? 

Thanks 

Sean YA

Eric 

11 minutes ago, bcummin said:

Not all of us are comfortable using technology.

I am our family dinosaur.  But my family keeps trying to encourage me along.

Barbara 

I can't see them requiring you to order through the app, so I'm sure they will still allow you to wait on line and order as you did before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nimiq said:

Does the app also work to reserve a specific time for dinner in the MDR ? 

If you can reserve your time for dinner can you also reserve a specific table or at least request a table for 2 or 4 ? 

Thanks 

Sean YA

Eric 

You can reserve dining times in the MDR via the website already, but you cannot reserve a specific table or say how big you want it to be other than the number of people you are booking for. I was able to book 6:30 every night for our December sailing.  I assume you will be able to do this in the app once you're on the ship, but it isn't allowing me to do anything now.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

It is very easy, and yes it does tell you when it is ready. 

For NY Pizza the salads and other stuff was not on there but they may have added it. You also couldn't customize your pizza, but for Dive in you could select toppings/condiments. There is a section for comments so you could probably specify there 

F9FE0719-67F5-4A86-825B-971BEB42D833.png

CC5F11F4-4D2D-4D37-814F-726E8DD6EEE9.png

D3E96D16-7E54-418F-B1C8-A2D0681527E2.png

35A09946-6BC8-452B-80A2-2E65362C972A.png

26E3FCB5-1038-4586-9702-451692B7C5A9.png

BBE6BBF1-EFE1-4289-865E-9BA785D7A315.png

5FA303BB-AF35-46FA-8CB2-9A3ED60D07EB.png

25E2F8B0-8EAB-462E-8AB2-26D0999134EA.png

496FE5CD-76C8-48D5-8D7C-37D40CE3191D.png

B5EC330A-C1F1-4359-8075-F278B2AD85D3.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, zgscl said:

It is very easy, and yes it does tell you when it is ready. 

For NY Pizza the salads and other stuff was not on there but they may have added it. You also couldn't customize your pizza, but for Dive in you could select toppings/condiments. There is a section for comments so you could probably specify there 

Thanks for posting the screenshots! NY Pizza doesn't have the late night menu like the deli version of Pinnacle class ships does, does it? If so, I'm wondering if it's available on the app. Too bad you can't customize your pizza, but at least you can with Dive-In.

• Like 1

I'm a relatively early riser, whether required or not.  I'm usually ready for lunch before noon.  I tend to prefer late dining when I cruise.  I typically have a mid-afternoon "snack" of some sort.  Or often, I'll be on an excursion that doesn't include food and doesn't return to the ship until mid afternoon, so I need something to tide me over until dinner, even if I decide to dine earlier.

Looking forward to trying it out in just over a month.

• Like 3

My routine for "dive in" days was to order, get the pager, round up the drinks and other stuff, secure a table and then the pager would go off......

Never understood the "crowd" that would gather at the pick up area......as if that helps your food come out earlier.

Now we can place the order on the phone while sipping our iced tea and perhaps enjoying an appetizer from lido and wait until we are summoned to retrieve our burger with that good "dive in" sauce.

We will give the app a try.....It saves us one trip up to place the order...not that big a deal but whatever.

• Like 4