Ordering from Dive-In and NY Pizza through the app -- how well does it work?

MisterBill99

I simply fail to understand why an "app" of any kind for any business or function of a business is going to provide me with a more positive experience with that "function" or "business".

What is the proper definition of an "app"?  Why would I desire to have that?  And, of course, based on what little I know, in order to obtain such "apps", I would have to spend money in order to buy a "smartphone" that my Consumer Cellular flip phone does not provide, but serves my communication needs very well.  

I have to wonder how many millions and millions of people have been suckered into believing that this "wonderful advance in technology" is so needed.  Has the consumer of such technology benefited as much as the promoters of this technology?  

When I see new smartphones that cost four figures, I become sceptical as who/what really benefits from the advent of this new technology.  

• Like 1

About 5 years ago I had zero use for a cell phone.  I had one but it was rarely on.  Now I can’t do without it.  If you are at home 24/7 I could see not having one.  I don’t have the best phone ever nor do I care to and it wasn’t 4 figures.  If you don’t want to use a cell don’t but there is no need to dismiss others that do find them useful.

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I simply fail to understand why an "app" of any kind for any business or function of a business is going to provide me with a more positive experience with that "function" or "business".

You could have said this several posts ago and saved us all the trouble of trying to explain why it was a useful feature, when in reality you never had any interest in using it (or even the ability to use it). I have other stuff to say, but it would be a waste of my time.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Agreed. You don't understand.

That's OK but people who do understand the technology enjoy it and appreciate the convenience it offers them. I'm not sure why that matters to you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have my iPad not a smartphone .it keeps me in communication with my grandchildren because I can message them and they can return my call or message when they are available. I keep track of my meds. And doctor appt. read books and keep track of my cruises and navigator. Also I am disabled so it’s my entertainment movies,games,books. Not a smartphone. My phone is a 12$ flip phone. That’s what technology does for me. The app for ordering on ship will help me since standing in line with a mask will be very difficult for me. So I say thank you Holland for this choice I may or may not choose to use.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Thanks for posting the screenshots! NY Pizza doesn't have the late night menu like the deli version of Pinnacle class ships does, does it? If so, I'm wondering if it's available on the app. Too bad you can't customize your pizza, but at least you can with Dive-In.

On Nieuw Amsterdam they were open until 11:30 with the full menu. Can't speak to the Pinnacle ships yet but I will rectify that in 5 weeks. 

• Like 3

When I read you can order from the app, my first thought was “how cool!”, but then I quickly remembered one of the reasons why cruising was so appealing to me when we first cruised in 2008…..no cell phone! I loved throwing that thing in the safe soon after boarding and not seeing it again until the last day. It was refreshing to rarely see people with the faces buried in their phones. We’ve seen cell phone use on ships gradually increase throughout the years. Being able to order through the app is one more way to entice people to get their phone out. With that being said, I understand “why” this feature is offered and most likely will take advantage of it. I just miss the days of not using my phone while cruising. After rereading this, I got a good laugh from how old I sound.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

What is the proper definition of an "app"?  Why would I desire to have that?  And, of course, based on what little I know, in order to obtain such "apps", I would have to spend money in order to buy a "smartphone" that my Consumer Cellular flip phone does not provide, but serves my communication needs very well.  

I have to wonder how many millions and millions of people have been suckered into believing that this "wonderful advance in technology" is so needed.  Has the consumer of such technology benefited as much as the promoters of this technology?  

When I see new smartphones that cost four figures, I become sceptical as who/what really benefits from the advent of this new technology.  

For some of us having an app or online option is a huge plus. If I never had to speak to anyone on the phone or wait in another line to place an order or book a cruise or anything else I would be extremely happy!

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, 510picker said:

When I read you can order from the app, my first thought was “how cool!”, but then I quickly remembered one of the reasons why cruising was so appealing to me when we first cruised in 2008…..no cell phone! I loved throwing that thing in the safe soon after boarding and not seeing it again until the last day. It was refreshing to rarely see people with the faces buried in their phones. We’ve seen cell phone use on ships gradually increase throughout the years. Being able to order through the app is one more way to entice people to get their phone out. With that being said, I understand “why” this feature is offered and most likely will take advantage of it. I just miss the days of not using my phone while cruising. After rereading this, I got a good laugh from how old I sound.

I'll be using it on my Kindle. My phone will not come out of the safe unless I'm of the ship.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 510picker said:

When I read you can order from the app, my first thought was “how cool!”, but then I quickly remembered one of the reasons why cruising was so appealing to me when we first cruised in 2008…..no cell phone! I loved throwing that thing in the safe soon after boarding and not seeing it again until the last day. It was refreshing to rarely see people with the faces buried in their phones.

Phones have changed a lot since 2008 (something that rkacruiser is not aware of, or doesn't care). Most people did not have smartphones back then. You can do much more than make phones calls on them, and in fact you likely want to have them in airplane mode when you're on the ship, but with Wi-Fi turned back on. Then you can use them for apps, taking pictures (of food, of course), playing games, whatever you want to without making phone calls. Many things can be done without even having the Internet package.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Phones have changed a lot since 2008 (something that rkacruiser is not aware of, or doesn't care). Most people did not have smartphones back then. You can do much more than make phones calls on them, and in fact you likely want to have them in airplane mode when you're on the ship, but with Wi-Fi turned back on. Then you can use them for apps, taking pictures (of food, of course), playing games, whatever you want to without making phone calls. Many things can be done without even having the Internet package.

Exactly what I do. I carried it with me everywhere onboard for the chat feature. My next cruise is a solo trip for me so I may not do this, but I am so attached to the thing even without internet to the outside world. Plus it is great for taking pictures of food for my live from threads.

• Like 2

I'm not addicted to my phone.  I don't have it in my hand every waking minute.  I don't walk and text.  I don't ever answer the phone when I'm driving and I absolutely don't text.  It's a tool, not an appendage.

I carry a small purse with me at all times when I'm out and about and my phone stays in there.

It's my camera when I'm on a cruise.  It takes great photos.  I use the cruise line's app when I'm on board.  Since I already have the phone with me, it's easier to check the daily activities than carrying around a piece of paper.

I don't understand the resistance to having a smart phone.  If you have a cell phone,  why not also make that a mini-computer?  But, hey, your choice!

I'll probably order from the app just because I can.  I actually like trying new things.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I'm not addicted to my phone.  I don't have it in my hand every waking minute.  I don't walk and text.  I don't ever answer the phone when I'm driving and I absolutely don't text.  It's a tool, not an appendage.

I carry a small purse with me at all times when I'm out and about and my phone stays in there.

It's my camera when I'm on a cruise.  It takes great photos.  I use the cruise line's app when I'm on board.  Since I already have the phone with me, it's easier to check the daily activities than carrying around a piece of paper.

I don't understand the resistance to having a smart phone.  If you have a cell phone,  why not also make that a mini-computer?  But, hey, your choice!

I'll probably order from the app just because I can.  I actually like trying new things.

Yes I’ll never be the person who must have their cell in their hands at all time.  I even turn it off at night which seems to be a rarity with people I know.  

• Like 2

I’m very happy to read the good reports on the app for pre-ordering Dive In food and pizza. Thanks for everybody who gave feedback. 

As for the question “Has the consumer of such technology benefitted…?” For people with disabilities, as another poster mentioned, the answer is “yes.”

Pre-ordering anything online or via smart phone is terrific for deaf and hard-or-hearing people. We struggle to read lips (impossible with masks) and understand what waiters, grocery cashiers, store clerks, airline employees, doctors, etc. are saying or asking us.

Smart phones are a great tool - and, by the way, it doesn’t have to be the priciest new model. We use apps to control today’s made-for-smartphone cochlear implants and hearing aids, link them to be able to talk on the phone, change settings for noisy restaurants, etc.  We can also use apps for real-time captioning of in-person conversations or live captioned cell phone calls. 

Smart phone stuff like this is miraculous and life-changing for me. Those who insist they are fine with their flip phones because they don’t need the convenience of pre-ordering a pizza may be surprised at what other applications this technology now can do for them.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

I used the Navigator app at NY Pizza several times on the September 25, 2021 sailing of the Nieuw Amsterdam. Generally it worked well, allowing me to place my order, monitor its progress, and show up at the appropriate time to retrieve my pizza. I did not order from Dive In, so I cannot report how it functioned there.

I also used the app to check on restaurant menus, "chat" with other passengers, request that the locked safe in my cabin be opened, and to read newspapers/magazines. In advance of the cruise I used the app to upload my photo, access my boarding pass, and store my shore excursion tickets.

Certainly it is possible to cruise without the use of the Navigator app, but since it provides so many useful services and costs nothing other than some user time to get familiar with its functions, why would you want to?

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes I’ll never be the person who must have their cell in their hands at all time.  I even turn it off at night which seems to be a rarity with people I know.  

I leave the phone feature on at night but turn off all other notifications.

5 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I don't turn mine off, but it stays in the kitchen, not on the nightstand where I'll hear every notification.  I figure if there's a true emergency, the cops will just have to pound on my door to wake me.  I need my sleep. 😁

Check out the "do not disturb" option in "settings"

• Like 5

I'd end up putting it on Do Not Disturb and forgetting to turn that off the next morning.  Then my DD would be in a panic wondering why I wasn't responding.  I'll just leave it on the kitchen counter, when I check my overnight stuff while waiting for water to boil for my first cup of tea in the morning.

I will soon be getting hearing aids and it's good to know that my phone will have apps that will help me manage their use.

• Like 1

Just now, NCTribeFan said:

I'd end up putting it on Do Not Disturb and forgetting to turn that off the next morning.  Then my DD would be in a panic wondering why I wasn't responding.  I'll just leave it on the kitchen counter, when I check my overnight stuff while waiting for water to boil for my first cup of tea in the morning.

You can specify certain hours for "Do Not Disturb".  That's what I do - that way if someone decides to message or text me after I've gone to bed, there's no annoying noise to wake me up.  I think I set mine for 10pm until 5am each day (I'm up by then).  I wouldn't want to have to remember to toggle it on and off each day either!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

I leave the phone feature on at night but turn off all other notifications.

I just turn mine off because I see no reason to have it on.  I have a land line so people can call on there.  Most of the time it’s phone solicitors.  I’m not a talk on the phone person anyway because some people love to talk for hours.  That doesn’t interest me.

What's a "land line?"

Just kidding.  I got rid of mine years ago when I finally figured out I didn't need it.  Sort of miss coming home and checking my answering machine and finding I had no messages.

OK, really starting to date myself now, aren't I?  🤣

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Phones have changed a lot since 2008 (something that rkacruiser is not aware of, or doesn't care

I am aware of the changes that have taken place.  (Was it necessary to add the last two words of your statement that I copied?)  

15 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

You can do much more than make phones calls on them, and in fact you likely want to have them in airplane mode when you're on the ship, but with Wi-Fi turned back on. Then you can use them for apps, taking pictures (of food, of course), playing games, whatever you want to without making phone calls. Many things can be done without even having the Internet package.

What does a phone mean to me?  It means for me to make and receive calls.  Most of the other things you mention have little importance to me.  I have an excellent camera that takes excellent photos.  

7 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

It's a tool,

7 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Two reasons for my resistance is the money that has to be spent for a "tool" that I prefer not to buy and then more money for some kind of a "plan" in order to use this new "tool".  And the plans!  Quality of the service that these plans offer is.....?  How does one determine this before one makes a purchase?  Making a decision seems to be as difficult (if not more so) than making a decision on purchasing a new car.  

My phone is a tool that I use to communicate with others and they with me.  Do I really want to have another "tool", i.e. mini-computer, that may encourage me to spend more time online than I do now?  Thank you for recognizing that it is my choice.

6 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Those who insist they are fine with their flip phones because they don’t need the convenience of pre-ordering a pizza may be surprised at what other applications this technology now can do for them.

I appreciate reading your comment.  I have a considerable amount to learn about smartphones.  Regarding my education about smartphones, I am in the same place I was at the start of the 21st Century before I got my first computer.  For 20 years and continuing, I have been amazed to learn what my computers have allowed me to do.

If I am going to cruise again, to fly again, maybe even go to a store/restaurant/etc. if a digital Covid passport of some type becomes required, I am going to need a smartphone.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

What's a "land line?"

A land line is most useful when there is no cell reception, when the phone's battery is dead, when a person with whom I am trying to speak has a cell phone and/or reception area that is poor and the audio keeps breaking up or breaking off.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

You can specify certain hours for "Do Not Disturb".  That's what I do - that way if someone decides to message or text me after I've gone to bed, there's no annoying noise to wake me up.  I think I set mine for 10pm until 5am each day (I'm up by then).  I wouldn't want to have to remember to toggle it on and off each day either!

Sue/WDW1972

Yup! If you know people in other time zones, I it helps to "mute" them during my sleep hours!