Ordering from Dive-In and NY Pizza through the app -- how well does it work?

MisterBill99

6 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

You can specify certain hours for "Do Not Disturb".  That's what I do - that way if someone decides to message or text me after I've gone to bed, there's no annoying noise to wake me up.  I think I set mine for 10pm until 5am each day (I'm up by then).  I wouldn't want to have to remember to toggle it on and off each day either!

Sue/WDW1972

I do that with my landline....from 10 to 6. It does flash if there is a call, so in an emergency, I can be reached. My cell phone I turn off, because DH has an alarm go off every 5 hours to remind me to test his blood sugar. Nothing worse that that screaming sound at 2 or 3 in the morning. 😂 On the ship, I tend to use my iPad.

• 1 month later...

So, we are finally on Rotterdam. Did not order Dive-In using the app because I figured there wouldn't be a wait after boarding and was partially right. Not much of a line, but it did take 10 minutes to get the food. Now that I have my account set up in the app, I'll use it next time I order from there.

Then I wanted to order from the late night menu at NY Pizza and Deli, and it was a failure. Turns out that they are apparently not savvy enough to only add the late night stuff when it is available to order, so the menu does not change. So I had to go upstairs and order and then waited ten minutes for my food. Not as bad as it's been, but disappointing that it did not work as I had hoped.

• Thanks 1

I didn't use the app ordering on Eurodam (11/16 sailing).  We were at under 50% capacity so there were virtually no lines anywhere, anyway. 

I did order pizza one day for lunch.  I expected there to be pre-made pizza like I've had on other lines, where you could just walk up and get a couple of slices.  But there weren't.  I had to order a pizza, which was too much food for me as a solo, but I ate it all anyway because it was good.

Ate at Dive-In twice.  That's my go-to when I first board.  Great burger and fries, as usual.

I'm not a late-night person, and since I have dinner at around 7:30, I don't need more food before going to bed.

I'm perfectly willing to wait 10 minutes for good, hot food.

I sail again in a week (yay!) and might give it a try if I even think about it.  I expect occupancy to be higher this time around.  I also have new-to-HAL friends joining me on the 5-night portion of the sailing.  They may be interested in trying it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was a breeze using the app to order from Dive In and NY Pizza on the Rotterdam in October.

We would place our order on the way over, fetch our drinks and get a seat.....Check the app and then all good to go....

At NY Pizza, they knew where we were and brought it over.

(For many things like checking out at Walmart, ordering at McDonalds and exiting the parking lot at the airport and now ordering a burger at Dive In, self service is the best service!)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chickadee910 said:

Works wonderfully. Make sure you type in any changes like extra mayo etc. you can even put extra cheese on the side for your fries. Pizza same. You can add or switch toppings. Milkshake you need to order at the counter but they only take a minute.

Are the milkshakes at the Burger place or the Pizza place? Are they an included item or at an extra cost?

11 minutes ago, Bolt. said:

Are the milkshakes at the Burger place or the Pizza place? Are they an included item or at an extra cost?

Just off the Nov 16th Eurodam, Milkshakes are at Dive In and yes you have to pay extra for it. Not sure about the Pizza place.

Which USB connector works best for pizza delivery? I find that USB C is good for the thinner grissini type bread sticks and the two micro USB connectors are nice for pasta. For traditional bread sticks, I tend to favor the legacy PS/2 mouse connector which makes for a nice crunchy bread stick with the 6-pins of toasty connectivity.

I think that the Altair S-100 bus would deliver a nice, albeit a long and rectangular pizza. Sadly, I can't find a USB-C or lightning to S-100 connector.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I got off the Nieuw Amsterdam today after two weeks onboard.  I used the Navigator App for the Dive In and New York Pizza and it did work great.  I liked that it broke down into three time periods...New, Preparing, and Completed.  Also, you can request from anywhere on board, then take your time to get to that area to retrieve.

• Thanks 1

A couple Apps I find useful on a cruise include WhatsApp for calling home or for calling a tour operator or taxi driver in a foreign county (I've found many tour operators and taxi companies are using it!) and a white noise app that is great to have in your cabin at night if you have loud neighbors!  Also, airline apps can be very useful for checking in and storing boarding passes.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, saturn93 said:

I got off the Nieuw Amsterdam today after two weeks onboard.  I used the Navigator App for the Dive In and New York Pizza and it did work great.  I liked that it broke down into three time periods...New, Preparing, and Completed.  Also, you can request from anywhere on board, then take your time to get to that area to retrieve.

I am just off Rotterdam and had mixed opinions. It was great being able to order and then go up to get the food. I was never notified that my food was ready in the app, and once I left the page with the order confirmation could not figure out a way to get back to it to see the status, nor did it give a time estimate when you ordered, which would have been extremely helpful. Also, as I previously mentioned, you could not order the late night menu at NY Pizza in the app.

Edited by MisterBill99

Sounds convenient, but I remember the days of getting aboard and putting my phone in the safe and not seeing it for a week. Now it appears I’ll  be seeing oblivious people constantly walking around staring at their phones.I’m tech savvy but go cruising to get away from this😉

Edited by Wakepatrol
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

Sounds convenient, but I remember the days of getting aboard and putting my phone in the safe and not seeing it for a week. Now it appears I’ll  be seeing oblivious people constantly walking around staring at their phones.I’m tech savvy but go cruising to get away from this😉

I agree 100%! I loved cruising for the same reason, as well as not seeing everyone else with their faces buried in their phones. Seems the cruise lines are pushing us all towars keeping our phones out of the safe.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:20 PM, aliaschief said:

Either you have the app or you don’t and that’s fine. Choices. Now that the kinks are being fixed I’m finding it very useful. Access to several newspaper. Making reservations. Looking at menus.

Reminders of your excursions and booking. 

The more I use it the more I like it. It’s OK not to grasp new technology but IMO not keeping up with it makes my life harder at least for me.

Not to mention being able to chat with the Wifey to figure out where in the world she disappeared to......AND, of course, not having to pay for internet on the Ship to do so.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:31 PM, canadarocks said:

Are the Milkshakes covered under the Signature Beverage package?

Great Question. Don't have the answer, but would love to know. According to the details of the package, it doesn't look like it. Hot Chocolate at the Dutch Cafe is. Apparently, it falls into the premium coffee category along with Lattes and espressos.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:43 AM, NCTribeFan said:

I sail again in a week (yay!) and might give it a try if I even think about it.  I expect occupancy to be higher this time around.  I also have new-to-HAL friends joining me on the 5-night portion of the sailing.  They may be interested in trying it.

The app, if everyone in the party has it is a great way to locate each other on the boat, rather than spending 5-10 minutes wandering in circles around the pool or other venue where you agreed to meet. A simple chat text, where are you, and they can tell you exactly where.

We did not use the app but did try the NY deli last week.  It was on a port day, so not busy, but it still took over 15-20 minutes to get two subs.  Then they were both small, with very little meat or filling.  Similar subs were had in the nearby Lido in 2 minutes and they were better put together.

3 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

We did not use the app but did try the NY deli last week.  It was on a port day, so not busy, but it still took over 15-20 minutes to get two subs.  Then they were both small, with very little meat or filling.  Similar subs were had in the nearby Lido in 2 minutes and they were better put together.

I hope you made some comment about this skimpy sandwich to the Culinary Operations Manager.  Such a sandwich is not what I have been served.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I hope you made some comment about this skimpy sandwich to the Culinary Operations Manager.  Such a sandwich is not what I have been served.  

You are lucky then.  I did find the “bunwich” that they had on the koningsdam to be decent but those premades that had before were skimpy.  When I hear people say did you talk to such and such manager I’ve  asked how a person could do that.  Crickets.  I’ve never seem the hotel manager etc standing in an obvious place waiting to talk to passengers.

12 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You are lucky then.  I did find the “bunwich” that they had on the koningsdam to be decent but those premades that had before were skimpy.  When I hear people say did you talk to such and such manager I’ve  asked how a person could do that.  Crickets.  I’ve never seem the hotel manager etc standing in an obvious place waiting to talk to passengers.

We order Made-to-Order Sandwiches at Bread Board and will tell them how many slices of meat, cheese, etc. we would like on the Sub Roll.  Even with the Pre-Mades if you ask they will add extra meat or cheese to them and on Pinnacle Class Ships you can get them "pressed", too.  You can do the same with NY Deli and just ask them for extra to be put on the Sandwich.  They are very accommodating!

You can put in a comment in "Let Us Know" on the Nav App and either Guest Services or someone from the Department will contact you.  Also, the Hotel Director may not be standing close by but Managers from the different Restaurants do spend time on Lido during the Peak Hours.

We've used the App for ordering Dive-in and NY Deli on three different Ships and it works great!

• Like 1