Live From the Emerald Princess 10/15/21 LA-Port Everglades Panama Cruise

gmcwalker

32 minutes ago, TucsonIllini said:

Just got some bad news. Apparently there is confusion between the Bridge and the Panamanian authorities regarding the type of Covid-19 test required for those who may come into contact with the Panamanian pilot, who was to board the ship at 5:00am.

The Captain said we were advised previously that an Antigen test was all that was required, but now the Panamanians require a PCR test of our crew. Though we have a lab to process results onboard, the delay has caused us to lose our Canal entry slot, for which no replacement slots are immediately available.

As we gaze upon the horizon, we see dozens of ships waiting to enter the Canal. Apparently, we must go to the back of the line, which may cost us 24-48 hours, or more. At least one or two of our A-B-C island visits will be cancelled, and the Captain has promised unspecified compensation.

To be continued...

OMG….I’m so sorry to read this post and hear that you will be missing some of the ABC ports as a result. I know if I were on this cruise I would be really disappointed but as our travel agent friend keeps telling us….we have to remember the F word when traveling these days….Flexibility! I wish everyone onboard all the best and hope you continue to enjoy the cruise.

• Like 7

As there are presently quite a large number of ships transiting the canal, it’s clear that the correct information was transmitted to many, many ships. 

I seriously doubt we will ever know the entire truth of the matter. 
DED1550D-3126-43DA-9570-7C4460F98ADB.thumb.png.10372f3ac859ce7ec733b7eb7993d1ff.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TucsonIllini said:

Just got some bad news. Apparently there is confusion between the Bridge and the Panamanian authorities regarding the type of Covid-19 test required for those who may come into contact with the Panamanian pilot, who was to board the ship at 5:00am.

The Captain said we were advised previously that an Antigen test was all that was required, but now the Panamanians require a PCR test of our crew. Though we have a lab to process results onboard, the delay has caused us to lose our Canal entry slot, for which no replacement slots are immediately available.

As we gaze upon the horizon, we see dozens of ships waiting to enter the Canal. Apparently, we must go to the back of the line, which may cost us 24-48 hours, or more. At least one or two of our A-B-C island visits will be cancelled, and the Captain has promised unspecified compensation.

To be continued...

Does anyone know if passenger vessels get priority?

1 hour ago, TucsonIllini said:

To be continued...

Saw an alert on this on FB earlier.  That post claimed all 1,100 crew had to be tested.  Do they even have that many tests?  But it makes no sense as the pilot would only be in contact with limited crew members, so why not test those?  How would Panama auth even know that 100% of crew were tested?  I had wondered as well if Panama would even let Princess do own testing since they have imposed this nutty restriction.  But why would they pick on Princess?  Is this a requirement for all ships passing thru?  If so, Princess should have known and planned accordingly.  Looks bad on them and now the cruise is possibly scuppered as they will have to make haste to Port Everglades once the get thru.

Edited by Steelers36

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Another piece of info.  Princess submitted the test too soon.  Should have been after midnight, I guess.  How does Panama expect a ship to test entire crew on same day when you have a 6 or 7 am entry time?  Should be X hours ahead of entry time.  It seems now this could be Panama "effing" with PCL.  

• Like 1

Frankly, we booked this cruise believing we could end up with no ports and a Panama Canal transit, so what is happening is not a surprise to us. We understand others likely had different expectations. We are being treated royally and our desire to see the ABC’s is directly inverse to their appearance in the itinerary, so I can be content with just Bonaire. 

Still, one has to wonder what it will take to get a daytime transit slot in the next day or two. This cruise has been scheduled for two months, and the reason for the 6 days between cruises in Fort Lauderdale is because that was the way the transit schedule worked out. Is it really that inflexible?

And, regardless of where the fault lies,  I agree that this was a mix up of significant proportions.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

how could something like that NOT be known ? - what happened , Oh, BTW, let me see your .....

uh, ... uh, ... 

Thigs like this happen quite frequently around the world.  At the last minute, someone else decided that they also need their "palm greased".  It shouldn't take too long to "fix".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Frankly, we booked this cruise believing we could end up with no ports and a Panama Canal transit, so what is happening is not a surprise to us. We understand others likely had different expectations. We are being treated royally and our desire to see the ABC’s is directly inverse to their appearance in the itinerary, so I can be content with just Bonaire. 

There is no use being miserable about something that is totally out of your control.

You are safe, well fed, and comfortable. What's not to like!?

I'm glad to see that you are making the most of it, and I hope that the feeling spreads to others on board who might not be so happy. I've been severely disappointed with Princess over the past several months pre-cruise, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let it ruin our cruise when we sail in two weeks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Cargo ships have very small crew and different regulations/restrictions from passenger vessels.  Note that COVID has barely affected commercial traffic.  I’m sure @chengkp75 has addressed this in the past.  Perhaps our resident Panama Canal expert @BillB48 might have some ideas.  But perhaps Carnival Corp. should put out a bulletin on transit regulations.  After all, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam transited last Sunday.  EM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

There is no use being miserable about something that is totally out of your control.

You are safe, well fed, and comfortable. What's not to like!?

I'm glad to see that you are making the most of it, and I hope that the feeling spreads to others on board who might not be so happy. I've been severely disappointed with Princess over the past several months pre-cruise, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let it ruin our cruise when we sail in two weeks.

Helluva great attitude. I salute you!!😃🤙🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Cargo ships have very small crew and different regulations/restrictions from passenger vessels.  Note that COVID has barely affected commercial traffic.  I’m sure @chengkp75 has addressed this in the past.  Perhaps our resident Panama Canal expert @BillB48 might have some ideas.  But perhaps Carnival Corp. should put out a bulletin on transit regulations.  After all, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam transited last Sunday.  EM

Just sent a text to my contact at the Canal, but probably won't know anything for awhile since he is off for the weekend.  As they have had a few ships with passengers already transit, I would have expected the hiccups to have already been worked out.  Sure a major malfunction in any case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

During his first announcement this morning the captain mentioned, almost glossing over it, that “we had a medical evacuation this morning that went well” (or similar words). 

he then went on to describe the nature of the delay we would be facing. At one point saying that “it might be 30 minutes or more” (again paraphrasing).  

given that we are still here with no announced end in sight, coupled with the general lack of candor that comes from Princess, I have to wonder if there might be a connection between the two events. 

I've long ago come to discount the idea of coincidence. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

The Captain just announced we will be transiting the Canal tomorrow. 
no time given. 

they are working on how the lost day will be addressed in terms of ports visited. 

That must be a partial relief - to only lose one day waiting.  Drinks on the house!!!!

• Like 3