NIGHTLY TURNDOWN

Tablelamp

12 hours ago, janieb1962 said:

What is the reasoning behind this service no longer being available….  Suspect the answer from P&O and some passengers will be because of COVID…but is it just another example of cost cutting and removing something under the guise of COVID for it never to return 

spa treatments (which of course you pay extra for) don’t seem to be an issue

Cabin  stewards have been working in the mdrs in the evening, wearing grey shirts and are clearing tables, so yes it's cost cutting.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I do like a dry towel, though, and hotels usually have heated towel rails to deal with that - remind me, not on P&O ships, presumably?  Can't remember.

That’s the problem no heated towel rail. If you shower at night the wet towels remain in the morning. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The size of the ship is irrelevant.  The stewards work in a defined area,  covering a limited number of cabins, and in my experience,  seem to have a 5th sense as to when you are out. Obviously hanging out the "service my cabin" sign helps them to judge the required time, or in the case of Princess, the door portal changes colour when you leave.

P&O, maybe only on some ships?, don't use the hanging sign now. On Aurora they use a card that goes in the card key slot which I assume alerts the cabin steward  to empty cabins? Just musing🤫

Avril

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In the case of Princess, the door portal changes colour when you leave.

I believe it also alerts the steward on their phone so they don’t even have to be on the lookout. If they are working in a room they know exactly where to go next. 

2 hours ago, LynnForestgate said:

To be honest, I think most people wont even miss it.

To be honest, I think most people will miss it, but if this is going to be a permanent change then we have to accept it or move on.

Avril

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Cabin  stewards have been working in the mdrs in the evening, wearing grey shirts and are clearing tables, so yes it's cost cutting.

So that's the real reason there's no turn down service, they have another job to do instead. 😏

Avril

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

P&O, maybe only on some ships?, don't use the hanging sign now. On Aurora they use a card that goes in the card key slot which I assume alerts the cabin steward  to empty cabins? Just musing🤫

Avril

On Iona you get two magnetic stickers to put on your door to show whether your are in or out.

No card key slot, you just swipe your card over a reader. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

So that's the real reason there's no turn down service, they have another job to do instead. 😏

Avril

To be fair, with cruises sailing well below capacity, there has to be cost cutting.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To be fair, with cruises sailing well below capacity, there has to be cost cutting.

Just as relevant to making cruises more covid safe by reducing the number of passengers on board  is reducing the number of crew on board

Surely that's obvious?

IMO what you lose by not having turndown is so little and if that means those staff can be assigned to more important roles on the ship that are needed in the evening it a makes perfect sense 

I would also imagine there are a lot more cleaning and sanitizing jobs needed on board to combat Covid 

Way more important than turndown

Priority one of cleaners on board ship right now has to be to minimize the risk of us catching Covid? 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

48 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I don't disagree wowzz😉, however when/if cruising  gets back to 'normal' I am hoping the turn down service resumes, if only to replace the wet towels.

Avril

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I have been cruising for years and have given my support to P and O.   This is just  cost cutting feature.

You do realise the cruises are having to operate with far less crew as well as less passengers?

But have far stricter cleaning and sanitizing protocols to try and keep things as safe as possible at the same time?

Seems an obvious sacrifice to me

The cruise lines are doing their very best just to still be allowed to cruise

And people are complaining about lack of nightly turndown?

Lots more way more important things to worry about when cruising right now IMO

Ps I used to like the chocolates as well

But I think I can just about live without them. And buy my own tbh

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

How do we all cope in most 5 star hotels using the same towels in the morning as we did the night before?

I've just asked my wife how we cope at home with the same problem

Apparently she changes the towels 3 or 4 times a week

Ive put in an official complaint to her

I'm not holding my breath

She does buy dairy milks twice a week though to be fair to her

I'm going to ask her to start putting a piece on my pillow each night 

I will let you know how it goes! 

• Haha 2

I won't worry about the wet towels in the morning because I can't stand those bath sheets. I have two microfibre bath towels and they dry very quickly. All the aircon in the cabin exits via the bathroom so there is a decent air flow for drying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I won't worry about the wet towels in the morning because I can't stand those bath sheets. I have two microfibre bath towels and they dry very quickly. All the aircon in the cabin exits via the bathroom so there is a decent air flow for drying.

I thought I was the only freak that hates bath sheets!  🙂

• Haha 1

Well isn't this an interesting thread?

Do you think it will ever replace the dress code thread, lift etiquette thread,  tipping thread, the correct way to hold cutlery thread, cabin stewards folding your nightwear thread, sunbed thread, the mystery of the disappearing face cloth or flannel thread,? and on and on....😉

Which only goes to show, ------ Cruising's back!!!!

Avril

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Do what I do jump out the shower onto the balcony with my arms outstretched, you soon dry no matter what part of the world your in

Well nobody has mentioned the obvious yet, so I’ll throw my opinion into the ring.

Most people objecting to the lack of the evening turndown service seem to be mainly complaining about having to use a damp towel the following morning. I’m sure, if asked, the cabin steward would be happy to leave extra towels so you don’t have to use the same one as you used the previous evening. That’s what I’ll be doing anyway.

Les.

• Like 2