Rapid antigen test from CVS ok?

mattswiss

I am a bit confused about the rapid antigen test. Has anyone taken this test in Walgreens or CVS. Not sure why we would have to opt for the PCR test which has a 1-2 day result time. Which test have you taken and where?

YES. Wife and I are both on board the Emerald now having taken CVS antigen tests. 

We’ve also gone that route for another cruise this past August and another in September. 

Edited by Bgwest
  • Like 3

We have not done this yet but due to the 24-72 hour turnaround for PCR tests in our area, we're planning on the rapid anti-gen test either at Walgreens or CVS (potentially Kroger). We don't want to chance the PCR results not coming back (hopefully negative) in the two day window prior to embarkation. I suppose someone could, if they were inclined to spend the $$'s, do both and use the rapid test results if the PCR did not come back in time.

Between wife and I, we’ve now had a total of 10 antigen tests from CVS for various trips. 
no out of pocket thus far. 
we always get our results back in under two hours. Often under an hour. 
I bought 6 BinoxNow proctored home tests as a final backstop. Just in case. Haven’t needed them yet. The tests and the box they came in sit next to my desk at home in the event we must break them out in an emergency. 
I really do like to have contingency plans. 

• Like 11

On 10/27/2021 at 6:29 PM, Bgwest said:

Between wife and I, we’ve now had a total of 10 antigen tests from CVS for various trips. 
I bought 6 BinoxNow proctored home tests as a final backstop. Just in case. Haven’t needed them yet. The tests and the box they came in sit next to my desk at home in the event we must break them out in an emergency. 

This is exactly what I'm going to do for our family of four cruise on January 2nd. CVS rapid antigen tests are our first "line of defense" and we will have the Binax Now with AG Card kits standing by as back up. Redundancy is good! 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Im looking to buy the 2 pack once it's got new expiration dates ..... any idea on when to expect that??

Originally the Emed site said November but now I'm not seeing that anywhere

You can sign up for the waitlist that will alert you once the new tests are available 

https://www.emed.com/waitlist?hsLang=en

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Originally the Emed site said November but now I'm not seeing that anywhere

You can sign up for the waitlist that will alert you once the new tests are available 

https://www.emed.com/waitlist?hsLang=en

Thsnks. Done ✔.  Just need a 3 pack for December and April. Would order the 2 pk now but would rather get enough for both cruises 

On 10/27/2021 at 4:29 PM, Bgwest said:

Me too! I'm happy if I have an alternate plan B, and I'm even happier if I have alternate plans B and C.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

Im looking to buy the 2 pack once it's got new expiration dates ..... any idea on when to expect that??

FYI

Optum has this listed on their site re expiration:

• Please Note: your test kit may indicate an early expiration date. However, the FDA has approved a 3-month expiration extension for all test kits FDA Approval Letter.

6 minutes ago, Tyskie said:

FYI

Optum has this listed on their site re expiration:

• Please Note: your test kit may indicate an early expiration date. However, the FDA has approved a 3-month expiration extension for all test kits FDA Approval Letter.

The problem is that all the tests were manufactured almost  a year ago and are hitting their expiration date even with the extension.

EMed seem to be feverishly working with manufacturers to get updated ones which is great because if you buy when they are released you should have them for a year. 

Edited by Jadn13

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

We are on the waiting list for the 6 pack (sailing Jan 16) so suspect that the new shipment will have farther out expiration date!  I will post here on CC when I get the notice that stock is replenished! 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a rapid antigen test this week at CVS (not for a cruise). The result came in about 2 hours. The thing that has me worried for my cruise in December is that I originally scheduled it for a different location and had it canceled the day before in an email from CVS. I was able get a test the same date at a different CVS

14 hours ago, geoherb said:

I had a rapid antigen test this week at CVS (not for a cruise). The result came in about 2 hours. The thing that has me worried for my cruise in December is that I originally scheduled it for a different location and had it canceled the day before in an email from CVS. I was able get a test the same date at a different CVS

A similar thing happened to us for a recent trip (not a cruise).  We got a text about 3 hours before the scheduled time that it had been cancelled/ (Found out much later that the tech doing the tests had called in sick!  No backup!)  We had to scramble a bit but found another area pharmacy that did tests with no scheduling needed.

We were definitely panicked for a while there!  Our flight was the next day. Although we have many CVS locations in our area there was not one that had any open time slots.  Thankfully, we found this other (local) pharmacy.  We're hanging on to that knowledge as a backup for any future snags!

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 12:33 AM, geoherb said:

How did you book your antigen test at CVS for December? We are cruising on Nov 26 (day after Thanksgiving) and I'd love to schedule a test now for the 24th somewhere but I cant book that far out in advance. Or are you referring to last December?

Did you have to pay for the CVS rapid antigen test?  I do not think that CVS charges people directly, but they bill the insurance company.  Our insurance company does not cover tests for travel.  Just wondering if anyone that used the CVS rapid antigen test was ultimately charged by their insurance company, or if there is a way to avoid the charge.

1 hour ago, newenglandcruiser13 said:

Did you have to pay for the CVS rapid antigen test?  I do not think that CVS charges people directly, but they bill the insurance company.  Our insurance company does not cover tests for travel.  Just wondering if anyone that used the CVS rapid antigen test was ultimately charged by their insurance company, or if there is a way to avoid the charge.

I did one there about 2 weeks ago.  I gave them my insurance information.  CVS didn't bill me and I haven't received a bill from my insurance company.  I don't expect them to bother, but anything is possible.

6 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

How did you book your antigen test at CVS for December? We are cruising on Nov 26 (day after Thanksgiving) and I'd love to schedule a test now for the 24th somewhere but I cant book that far out in advance. Or are you referring to last December?

My husband and I had our rapid antigen test done at CVS this morning. The results were delivered to my cell phone, email, and MyChart (medical chart) within 30 minutes. I scheduled the tests online about 2 weeks ago. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newenglandcruiser13 said:

No. I gave them my insurance info but haven't seen anything back to see if they charged my insurance. In my case, I could honestly answer yes to both the travel question and "Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of COVID-19 after being at a place where social distancing was not possible?" That will also be the case in December before my cruise because I will be attending hockey games, where social distancing is not possible.

I feel better planning for this cruise since I sailed in August already and know what to expect on board the ship. I also received my booster shot this week.

Edited by geoherb

45 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

My husband and I had our rapid antigen test done at CVS this morning. The results were delivered to my cell phone, email, and MyChart (medical chart) within 30 minutes. I scheduled the tests online about 2 weeks ago. 

Still bugs me that CVS lets you book two weeks out, but Walgreens only three days (at least around here) but it is what it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoherb said:

No. I gave them my insurance info but haven't seen anything back to see if they charged my insurance. I

I've had CVS antigens several times since July and have yet to see one charge from them in my EOB. 

17 hours ago, Marelaine said:

The CVS website indicates 2 available tests…Molecular Lab PCR/NAAT (results 2-3 days) and Rapid Result Test.  It doesn’t indicate “Rapid Antigen” so I want to be sure the Rapid Result Test is same as Rapid Antigen Test that you are mentioning. Thanks.