Room Service

Mrs Wally

44 minutes ago, davecttr said:

£100 in 2002 was £166.40 in 2020 - from bank of england calculator

beer was 10p a pint back in 1972 and the calculator says £1.35 in 2020, something wrong somewhere.

I think you need to take increases in taxation into account for things such as alcohol,  cigarettes etc.

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

You can get everything you describe above,   if you are prepared to pay the equivalent prices as in 2002, and cruise on Oceana, Azmura etc. 

P&O prices are cheaper today  in real terms than they were in 2002. All you have to do is pay the same price today,  allowing for inflation,  and you will find the cruise you describe.

Most things are cheaper today wowzz, if economies of scale have been applied. The first vacuum cleaner cost the equivalent of £10,000, but today you can buy one for under £100, and with cruise ships now catering for up to 5000 passengers, compared to about 1000 twenty years ago, then it's not surprising prices have fallen.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

You can get everything you describe above,   if you are prepared to pay the equivalent prices as in 2002, and cruise on Oceana, Azmura etc. 

P&O prices are cheaper today  in real terms than they were in 2002. All you have to do is pay the same price today,  allowing for inflation,  and you will find the cruise you describe.

Yes I kinda agree with you. But I worked for I.C.I. in the mid 80's and took home after stoppages £18,000. Some of those that work there now. No longer I.C.I. unfortunately are on £23,000 before stoppages. I also worked  for the MOD between 2005 and 2015. When I started in 2005 the pay was only just over £12,000 a year. So despite P&O's prices not perhaps reflecting inflation many jobs lag way behind as well. My last job before retirement was through an agency. I self isolated due to the pandemic, told them that it was due to underlying health conditions, I wasn't paid whilst away and no furlough scheme offered. I kept contacting them asking what the situation was and eventually was told that the company that employed me through the agency had terminated my contract. I was on a zero hours contract, so no notice was required by them. 

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I can honestly say, I have never ordered room service in either a hotel or a ship.  Don't quite see the attraction.

Neither have we, so £2.50 is not the problem to us that it seems to be for some.

3 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

As someone else said, it’s not the just the £2.50! They’re not offering coffee and for me, that is a problem. 

The only time I think we would consider room service is to have a nice early morning coffee on the balcony. I guess dragging on the spedos and flip-flops for a trip to Java is the best way.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

The only time I think we would consider room service is to have a nice early morning coffee on the balcony. I guess dragging on the spedos and flip-flops for a trip to Java is the best way.

Now you’ve planted an image in my mind which won’t go away!

I only want early morning coffee too, never had room service later on in the day. As I said before, my husband normally sleeps through my breakfast and then I might get back into bed! It sets me up for the day. 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I remember seeing plasma screen TVs in Harrods circa 96/97.  £20,000 for something like a 30"!!

Like 200 quid digital watches,3 months later they were giving one away with a gallon of oil.

• Haha 1

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not a skinflint. To prove this I have just shelled out £399 for the Gift Package on a future cruise. But I don't see paying for things that there is no need to as being necessary. I have been on the New England and Canada cruise 4 times. When in New York we did the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island on our own. Got a taxi down to where the river taxi's sail from, went to the Statue of Liberty, spent as much time as we wished then went to Ellis Island and again stayed as long as we wished. Went back to Battery Park where they had flags to denote the number of fatalities from 9/11 and then a taxi to Macy's apartment store. All for about half of what we would have paid on a P&O excursion to the same venues and we would have been restricted timewise as well. We will take drinking chocolate to have before bed and a litre of spirits each when next we cruise. My philosophy, whilst not skimping is have the best you can for the least. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not a skinflint. To prove this I have just shelled out £399 for the Gift Package on a future cruise. But I don't see paying for things that there is no need to as being necessary. I have been on the New England and Canada cruise 4 times. When in New York we did the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island on our own. Got a taxi down to where the river taxi's sail from, went to the Statue of Liberty, spent as much time as we wished then went to Ellis Island and again stayed as long as we wished. Went back to Battery Park where they had flags to denote the number of fatalities from 9/11 and then a taxi to Macy's apartment store. All for about half of what we would have paid on a P&O excursion to the same venues and we would have been restricted timewise as well. We will take drinking chocolate to have before bed and a litre of spirits each when next we cruise. My philosophy, whilst not skimping is have the best you can for the least. 

Thank you for posting your experience of New York.  Were due on the USA & Canada cruise next year.  Should have done it last year!  Have done a bit of research, and came to the conclusion that we can do all the things we want without the need for ship's tours as well. 

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

I don’t drink instant coffee at home and I’m certainly not going to pay thousands of pounds for a cruise and drink it there.

Err ok thanks for that info but you know there are coffee outlets on ships

Edited by Bazrat

2 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

I don’t drink instant coffee at home and I’m certainly not going to pay thousands of pounds for a cruise and drink it there.

At least with instant you get consistency, although I guess the same applies to the P&O buffet offering, we find its consistently awful, even though it's supposed to be freshly brewed from ground coffee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

At least with instant you get consistency, although I guess the same applies to the P&O buffet offering, we find its consistently awful, even though it's supposed to be freshly brewed from ground coffee.

As a lover of good coffee I certainly don't like the coffee they serve onboard, however I believe that it's freshly brewed from ground coffee.

The previous week.😁

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Err but they don’t provide room service coffee delivered to my cabin at breakfast, do they?

Err you could try walking  and getting it than pretend it was delivered 

• Haha 3

Just waiting for the obvious they do better coffee on such and such cruise line, for me the coffee was ok bit hit and miss last couple of weeks, now I am back at work and paying for what masquerades as coffee from a machine 

Edited by Bazrat