Gifts for crew?

JF - retired RRT

12 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I read so many threads (& let's face it...my memory isn't what it used to be), but someone asked "what gifts would be appropriate to give to the crew".

YouTube has the answer.

Chris Wong just did this video (he's a crew member on RCCL and also a YouTuber): 

Enjoy, if this applies to you.

As a new cruiser i find this topic intriguing. Chris Wong in this video is clearly digging very deep to try and find a response to the question. Tips and recignition for their work are surely the answer. Anything else risks being offensive/condescending. Imagine giving somebody who has been waiting on you for a week a pair of socks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Snacks from their home country.......spot on!

Before each cruise I stop at an international market and buy candies from several countries.

You should see the huge smiles when I slip a candy to someone as I pass by and they realize that it's from home. I constantly get asked, "Where did you find this!?" I'm schlepping 2 kilos worth of goodies with me for our cruise next week, and I can't wait to start passing them out.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

I'd find the whole situation so incredibly awkward and would be so conscious of how it might feel to be serving people who are so privileged to have paid so much for a cruise and are handing out candy and socks.

You can feel however you want. It's not as if that's all they get, it's in addition to the gratuities I've paid.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Snacks from their home country.......spot on!

Before each cruise I stop at an international market and buy candies from several countries.

You should see the huge smiles when I slip a candy to someone as I pass by and they realize that it's from home. I constantly get asked, "Where did you find this!?" I'm schlepping 2 kilos worth of goodies with me for our cruise next week, and I can't wait to start passing them out.

It's being polite. They want to be as nice as possible so you tip them well. Many times after the smiles and thanks your gifts go into the trash.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cruzsnooze said:

It's being polite. They want to be as nice as possible so you tip them well. Many times after the smiles and thanks your gifts go into the trash.

Think what you want, but I see them stuff them right into their mouths, and they come back asking for more.

• Like 9

I've seen so many of these threads over the years, and I still don't understand this compulsion, which smacks of condescension.  Even Chris Wong seemed to struggle to come up with suggestions.

Where I come from, gifts are given to friends and relatives, not to someone in a quasi business situation. Crew are not my new best friend. They are an employee of a company I do business with.

Am I polite and friendly when we interact? Yes.Would I offer a cash tip or a complimentary note to their employer? Yes, I've done that many times.  But I would no more  offer them candy or socks than I would to my hairdresser or gardener. YMMV

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimbo1683 said:

As a new cruiser i find this topic intriguing. Chris Wong in this video is clearly digging very deep to try and find a response to the question. Tips and recignition for their work are surely the answer. Anything else risks being offensive/condescending. Imagine giving somebody who has been waiting on you for a week a pair of socks. 

If it was us, we would do the socks if wanted BUT stuff some money inside and it becomes Christmas!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo1683 said:

I'd find the whole situation so incredibly awkward and would be so conscious of how it might feel to be serving people who are so privileged to have paid so much for a cruise and are handing out candy and socks.

We have seen people hand out some strange gifts to crew and you could tell it was an awkward experience for crew members while the gifter thought it was wonderful.  Having spent a lot of time on aircraft some passengers used to give flight attendants little boxes of chocolate.  Most did end up in the trash because who knows what the chocolates could be laced with?

We do know that having talked with a lot of crew over the years that they do like money,  gift or free calling cards (never thought of a SIM card) and they really value and appreciate having their name mentioned in positive surveys of the cruise and also compliments cards that can be turned in at the Purser's desk which they say can help them get departmental recognition and advance.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

We have seen people hand out some strange gifts to crew and you could tell it was an awkward experience for crew members while the gifter thought it was wonderful.  Having spent a lot of time on aircraft some passengers used to give flight attendants little boxes of chocolate.  Most did end up in the trash because who knows what the chocolates could be laced with?

We do know that having talked with a lot of crew over the years that they do like money,  gift or free calling cards (never thought of a SIM card) and they really value and appreciate having their name mentioned in positive surveys of the cruise and also compliments cards that can be turned in at the Purser's desk which they say can help them get departmental recognition and advance.

Sadly, Princess no longer provides comment cards. I always filled them out during the cruise (rather at the end).  Now it is done in the survey, but the crew never sees them. 

Just got off a cruise on Wed & had bags of Halloween candy for dining & cabin staff. Ended up having to get off & buy more because they were so greatly appreciated. One of the hostesses said it made her feel as if we saw her as a person rather than a nobody.

Edited by victory2020
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Just got off a cruise on Wed & had bags of Halloween candy for dining & cabin staff. Ended up having to get off & buy more because they were so greatly appreciated. One of the hostesses said it made her feel as if we saw her as a person rather than a nobody.

Cash over candy anytime….cash makes them feel good and candy makes you feel good….no comparison…..quit treating them like they are children….unless you are handing out boxes of Godiva chocolates!

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Cash over candy anytime….cash makes them feel good and candy makes you feel good….no comparison…..quit treating them like they are children….unless you are handing out boxes of Godiva chocolates!

Seriously Godvia? ugggg

17 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Seriously Godvia? ugggg

Russian chocolate puts Godiva to shame.

As far as candy goes, this is not for others to decide what's right or wrong.

You cruise your way, and they'll cruise their way.

There is no bad way to show appreciation.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

There is no bad way to show appreciation.

There certainly is a bad way to show appreciation. One does not show appreciation by yelling at and demeaning the steward. We had some so and so do that done the hall. He thought he was impressing his wife by doing that. All he did was demonstrate that money does not by class and made this very proficient steward who was all of 5 ft 2 end up in tears.

The stewards work long hours and do a lot of work. Treat them with respect. When you see them say hello and thank them. Beside tips a few kind words are appreciated by them.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CineGraphic said:

That's not showing appreciation at all. It's the exact opposite.

Well there is a certain type of person that thinks that is what showing appreciation is. They think kindness hurts a person and destroys character of all things.

Edited by brisalta