The Daily for Tuesday November 02, 2021

richwmn

I would like to sincerely thank everyone that sent me good wishes upon completion of my radiation treatments today. My prognosis is very good as the cancer was caught at Stage 2 and it was confined to the prostate. (there is something to be said for yearly medicals and PSA tests) CT & Bone scans were clear and both the Urinary and Radiation Oncologists give me a 99% chance of being cancer free after 10 years.

I look at this as a minor bump in the road and I'm very grateful for the excellent care I have received since I was diagnosed 5 months ago.
  • Like 40

Good morning from a mostly sunny Quartzsite.  I hope it will be a less hectic day than the last several ones.  We are not planning on going anywhere today.

Will celebrate All Souls Day and Dia de los Muertos.  I love deviled eggs, and we have them fairly often, if I remember to cook the eggs soon enough. 

When I saw Look for Circles, I thought of Stonehenge and other circles in England made by ancient people.  It was interesting to learn from @grapau27 , Graham, that it is an American day.  When we fly over the Texas Panhandle, we can see large circles in the square fields.  Their irrigation is done by using a center pipe with the water going in a circle.

Another funny quote today.  We'll pass on the drink, but I'll check out the meal and the wine sounds good.  

We were in St. Kitts in 1999 on Noordam III on our b2b cruises from Valpariso to Ft. Lauderdale.  All our pictures are pre-digital and in albums in Texas.  We had booked the scenic railroad tour, but when we got to St. Kitts, the train was not running.  We found a rental car on the dock, and toured the island.  Since there is one road that circles the island, we didn't worry about getting lost.  We also detoured to Turtle Bay on the reccommendation of the port guide and some of the crew.  It ws a nice place to have a beer and French fries.  When we got back to ship, we just left the car on the pier with the keys locked inside.

Thank everyone who posted pictures of St. Kitts.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, Linda M. was the cruise director in 2017 on the Prinsendam.  When we were in Newcastle upon Tyne, her mother and sister came on board for the day.

@bdrcole  Congratulations on finishing your radiation treatments and the good prognosis.  👋🔔

@msmayor  Such a sweet story about the older couple who were young at heart.

@smitty34877  You and your DH gave your DM such wonderful memories during her battle with cancer.

@JAM37  Julia, it sounds like you are making good progress on your renovation.  Glad the tv should be there today.

@dfish  When DH and I were in school and even when the DDs were in school, we did not miss school on voting days.  I remember the poles being set up in fires stations and other buildings not used during the day. 

@Lady Hudson  Good news about getting your booster and mixing the vaccines.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Laura, safe travels tomorrow and enjoy your stay in Mexico.  I liked you definition of looking for circles, and it is something most of us understand and can find easily.  😉

@Vict0riann  Do you really think this group can refrain from mentioning wine even for a few minutes?  Surely you jest.  😀 🍷

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

I would like to sincerely thank everyone that sent me good wishes upon completion of my radiation treatments today. My prognosis is very good as the cancer was caught at Stage 2 and it was confined to the prostate. (there is something to be said for yearly medicals and PSA tests) CT & Bone scans were clear and both the Urinary and Radiation Oncologists give me a 99% chance of being cancer free after 10 years.

I look at this as a minor bump in the road and I'm very grateful for the excellent care I have received since I was diagnosed 5 months ago.

This is great news.  Very happy for you.

I have enjoyed being able to get on earlier this morning.  (it is morning for me still!)

Great posts and news.  Thanks to all of you.

I enjoy chicken tacos...but not too spicy.  But fish tacos are my favorite.  Always trying them whenever they are on a menu.

Interesting quote.

Our grandkids have early release all week starting today for conferences.  They will be coming to our home to spend the afternoon.

Booked our first private tour in Kirkwall for our  June 2022 Volendam cruise.  Never too early to start planning.

Prayers for all on the care list.  Happy, happy to those celebrating.

Stay well and safe.  

• Like 22

6 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a mostly sunny Quartzsite.  I hope it will be a less hectic day than the last several ones.  We are not planning on going anywhere today

😉

@Vict0riann  Do you really think this group can refrain from mentioning wine even for a few minutes?  Surely you jest.  😀 🍷

Lenda

Yes, Lenda, definitely I jest!  I really knew better than to make the request.🙃🍷

• Like 5
  • Haha 12

@Quartzsite Cruiser,those are incredible  pictures DH took yesterday but then again I always enjoy your pictues.Both of you are very talented  photographers. 

Thank you for your kind words about taking care of my mom.I always feel it is a privilege  to be able to help  our loved ones especially  at the end of life. It was a little scary to be on a cruise with mom being so ill but she so wanted all of us to go.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich and all who post on this forum.  I have my coffee and have read all the posts today. I am really excited about my next cruising. I will board the Rotterdam December 1 but just learned that my son from Mobile will be able to join me on the Christmas and New Year segment. And now my sister is talking about joining me on my Alaska cruise. It will be so fun to have family to share with. I feel that cruising on HAL is a real blessing as even though I was traveling alone, the crew made me feel like family. It is one of the special things that make cruising fun. The story of the elderly couple is so sweet and I think about the cruise I was just on and how angry a man got with a lady in a wheelchair who was brave enough to take a tender. His impatient shouts and bad words made me step up and remind him that this was a vacation and not a race. He didn't like being stood up to by an old lady, but he did back off.  AND my coffee cup is a circle on top and bottom. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, lindaler said:

Thank you Rich and all who post on this forum.  I have my coffee and have read all the posts today. I am really excited about my next cruising. I will board the Rotterdam December 1 but just learned that my son from Mobile will be able to join me on the Christmas and New Year segment. And now my sister is talking about joining me on my Alaska cruise. It will be so fun to have family to share with. I feel that cruising on HAL is a real blessing as even though I was traveling alone, the crew made me feel like family. It is one of the special things that make cruising fun. The story of the elderly couple is so sweet and I think about the cruise I was just on and how angry a man got with a lady in a wheelchair who was brave enough to take a tender. His impatient shouts and bad words made me step up and remind him that this was a vacation and not a race. He didn't like being stood up to by an old lady, but he did back off.  AND my coffee cup is a circle on top and bottom. 

Good for you!   

• Like 16

@Quartzsite CruiserLenda, love the pretty sunset photos.  There's just something about those pink, purple and blue colors mixed in the sky.  

And I can't blame Linda M. for being happy to be in her home town and seeing her Mom and sister.  She travels everywhere else most of the year so a chance to have them come on to the ship must be a special treat for her.  Hope she's doing well and still working for HAL.  

We got a fab brochure in today's mail for a Seabourn 2023 Grand South America and Antarctica cruise taking place at the same time as our HAL Grand S. Amer. and Antarctica booking.  This trip includes 5 days in Antarctica, South Georgia Island which HAL does not, the Amazon River portion of the voyage and of course the Panama Canal.  Very expensive!  I would have to give up a lot of other cruising to be able to do that one.  💲💲💲💲

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Enjoying a cruise with family is just the best, isn't it?  I'm thrilled to hear your son is coming with you during the holidays and your sister is thinking about going along on the Alaska cruise.  Fingers crossed and prayers already said!

• Like 14

I am staying inside for awhile waiting for the rain to stop and the sun to come out so I can do some yard work.  Pressure washed my garage roof yesterday to remove moss and was surprised at how well it came out.  The remark "Surely you jest" brought back some memories of my Navy career.  I was both enlisted and an officer in the Navy.  As an enlisted person, if you disagreed with what someone stated, you might say "You gotta be s******g me!"  When I became an officer and a gentleman, the proper response was "surely you jest, sir!"

• Like 13
  • Haha 14

Good morning and thanks all!  
@bdrcole yay!  Glad it’s over,  wishing you many healthy years! 
@msmayorlove that story! 
We visited St Kitts years ago on Princess as well.  
love the chat about Newcastle, DH has family from that area and we’re glued to the tv show Vera enjoying the locale. 
We went looking for the aurora, but wasn’t very visible.  One day we hope,

5E01A45B-B37E-4BCC-8300-75F58D069962.jpeg

8DA4ACB4-FD11-45B0-AD8F-94763166E42A.jpeg

• Like 24

I am a nativeAmerican who never heard of Circles Day. Where I grew up Nov. 2nd was #1 Dia De Los Muertos and #2 Sadie Hawkins Day which was a lot more fun. Anyone else remember asking your boyfriend to the annual Sadie Hawkins Day Dance? 

Today is Taco Tuesday and I love traditional tacos made with either ground beef or refried beans, lettuce and cheese on hard corn tortillos. I will save the jerk chicken (not so spicy version) for another meal without the soft tortillos.

And again I thank everyone for sharing their photos of the port of the day.

Jane

• Like 24

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The top of a wine glass is a circle. The bottom of a wine glass is a circle. The top and bottom of an open wine bottle are circles. Seize the day!

Now that’s one circle I’m always searching for 😂 

3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We haven’t been to today’s port, but tomorrow we leave for Mexico!

Wonderful 🙂. Wishing you very safe travels so very early in the morning.

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Quick post of the drink of the day.  Sinus headache and the screen hurts my eyes.

Sorry to hear that.  Hope you are feeling better very soon 🤞 

1 hour ago, bdrcole said:

That is excellent news 👍 So very happy for you 🙂

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

I will board the Rotterdam December 1 but just learned that my son from Mobile will be able to join me on the Christmas and New Year segment. And now my sister is talking about joining me on my Alaska cruise. It will be so fun to have family to share with.

How very nice 👍. Cruising with family and especially over the holidays will be a special time 🙂 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That would be very nice to see you both there if all works out for that cruise.  Last time we were in Newcastle was in Sept. 2018 on the Prinsendam.  The ship provided a shuttle ride from the ship (docked in Tyne) to the train station in Tynemouth where we purchased tickets to the town of Newcastle upon Tyne.  Does anyone recall where Cruise Director Linda Minnick was from?  I seem to remember she said Newcastle.  

In Newcastle upon Tyne it was a very gloomy, chilly day but we walked around the town and viewed the Millennium Bridge, The Castle, and St. Nicholas Cathedral.  They even had a little sandy beach area with beach chairs and cabanas along the quayside.  Pretty optimistic on a cold day like we had!  We also saw the Chinatown Gate and the home of the Newcastle United Football club.  

Anyway, let's see what happens by next summer and we will keep your offer in mind for that stop.  Thank you, Graham for the nice offer.🙂

It would be lovely to meet you both.

Our favourite destinations in the lake District are less than 2 hours drive away from the terminal.

Gateshead Metro centre which is Europe's largest indoor shopping centre is about 25 minutes drive from the terminal.

Hadrian's Roman wall with visitor fort is about 45 minutes drive.

Durham cathedral is about 30 minutes drive.

Alnwick castle is about 40 minutes drive.

Near the time of your cruise when you know you are definitely going I will put my phone number on here and you could WhatsApp/text me and let me know what you would like to see or do.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bdrcole said:

That’s awesome.  Now celebrate!

• Like 14

2 hours ago, bdrcole said:

Excellent news.

Delighted for you.

Graham.

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  
@bdrcole yay!  Glad it’s over,  wishing you many healthy years! 
@msmayorlove that story! 
We visited St Kitts years ago on Princess as well.  
love the chat about Newcastle, DH has family from that area and we’re glued to the tv show Vera enjoying the locale. 
We went looking for the aurora, but wasn’t very visible.  One day we hope,

5E01A45B-B37E-4BCC-8300-75F58D069962.jpeg

8DA4ACB4-FD11-45B0-AD8F-94763166E42A.jpeg

Our Sarah took this photo on Newcastle quayside of Vera being filmed.

IMG-20180806-WA0000.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It would be lovely to meet you both.

Our favourite destinations in the lake District are less than 2 hours drive away from the terminal.

Gateshead Metro centre which is Europe's largest indoor shopping centre is about 25 minutes drive from the terminal.

Hadrian's Roman wall with visitor fort is about 45 minutes drive.

Durham cathedral is about 30 minutes drive.

Alnwick castle is about 40 minutes drive.

Near the time of your cruise when you know you are definitely going I will put my phone number on here and you could WhatsApp/text me and let me know what you would like to see or do.

Graham.

Seems like lots to see there.  I know you enjoy the lake district.  But just meeting you both would be a great honor.  We will talk about this more when the time comes.  Thank you for your generous offer.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Seems like lots to see there.  I know you enjoy the lake district.  But just meeting you both would be a great honor.  We will talk about this more when the time comes.  Thank you for your generous offer.

Thank you Sandi.

We would be honoured to meet you two too.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

For fellow Dailyites looking for circles, remember this: The top of a wine glass is a circle. The bottom of a wine glass is a circle. The top and bottom of an open wine bottle are circles. Seize the day!

We haven’t been to today’s port, but tomorrow we leave for Mexico!

Thank goodness you mentioned this - I could have spent all day searching for circles, when I had them in my own cupboard!  Your creativity knows no bounds.  

Safe travels tomorrow to Mexico - it will be good for you to get away; I hope you remember to properly hydrate.  .  .

@summer slopeI'm sorry to hear about the sinus headache; I get migraines, so know how awful they can be.  Hopefully yours will be short-lived.

@bdrcolegreat news about your final treatment and prognosis.  Now it's time to start planning a cruise to celebrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bdrcole said:

Awesome!

Roy

• Like 13

Sadie Hawkins Dance was a fun time to dress up like a scarecrow or farmers complete with jeans and plaid flannel shirt.    Usually held at high school.    Have a picture but havnt seen that date for more than 60 yrs. 

• Like 14