Is Russia going to accept ships for 2022 Summer

sjhanksaz

16 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Exactly. Same philosophy re: sovereignty can be applied to Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia 

I disagree slightly about these three particular Baltic countries. They are European Union members and belong to NATO. Whilst membership of both was promised to the Ukraine, for various reasons neither happened.

1 hour ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

and may even abandon calling on the Baltic states

I do not fully understand your conclusion regarding ‘Baltic states’  in relation to your comment: “cannot risk any potential opportunity for reprisals and need to protect their clients”

we just got an email from Royal stating that they basically have a plan b in place in event that SP is a no go.  It said to be prepared for possibly visiting other port/s.  They also offered a refund or to be moved to another cruise.

I think it's just the first step to prepare us for the disappointment.

For us there are enough other things we want to see that this is a hit but not going to make us cancel. 

It will be years from now before Russia is probably going to be back on the visit list for ships in the future.

• Like 1

That as great news that Royal is being proactive instead of silent. I am at this time trying to decide if to cancel my Baltic Cruise on Azamara. If they told me the "option B" I would probably accept it in lieu of 3 nights scheduled in St Petersburg. As my final deposit isn't due yet will wait a bit more. Very sad for those living in Russia and the Baltic. Hoping for their safety and this resolves quickly for all. 

Viking has sent an email that basically implies,  Hey, we know things are way messed up. We are gonna change stuff, but we don't know how yet. Please don't flood our call centers with questions we don't have answers to yet. 

I recognize that they (and others) are in a difficult situation, and I appreciate them reaching out to booked passengers, even though they don't have much to say yet. Image.thumb.png.66ffd4541c21e0e6176ed9f9501c8aa4.png

13 minutes ago, luv2travel90266 said:

That as great news that Royal is being proactive instead of silent. I am at this time trying to decide if to cancel my Baltic Cruise on Azamara. If they told me the "option B" I would probably accept it in lieu of 3 nights scheduled in St Petersburg. As my final deposit isn't due yet will wait a bit more. Very sad for those living in Russia and the Baltic. Hoping for their safety and this resolves quickly for all. 

Royal also changed the final payment date to 60 days before the cruise and you can still cancel for cruise credit up to a couple of days before.  Thought that was nice of them too.

• Like 2

Cruise Critic's Oceania page, post #123, states they are cancelling Russia and Ukraine ports for the year - see complete email that cruiser received below: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2826084-if-russia-and-ukraine-break-out-in-a-regional-war-what-happens-to-cruises-this-summer-in-the-baltics/

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,
On behalf of Oceania Cruises, thank you for choosing us to continue your global explorations. 

The health, safety and security of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our top priority. Due to the escalated situation between Russia and Ukraine, we have made the decision to alter itineraries and remove Russian and Ukrainian ports from our voyages for the remainder of the year. Our team is diligently working to confirm replacement ports and we will advise all impacted guests and travel advisors as soon as possible. We share your disappointment and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, but also hope you understand the necessity of this action.

Due to this unfortunate event, if you booked shore excursions in any of the affected ports through Oceania Cruises, they will be automatically canceled and refunded to the original form of payment. No further action is required on your part; your refund will be processed within 14 days. 

In addition, please be sure to visit OceaniaCruises.com to stay up to date about destination-specific travel requirements for your upcoming voyage. 

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board for your upcoming voyage. 

Warmest regards,
Carlos E. Ortega

To add to the list, Seabourn (and I imagine all of Carnival Group) sent out this message today: 

• We understand that you may have some concerns regarding your upcoming sailing given the evolving events with Ukraine and Russia.
  • We are closely monitoring the situation as the safety and security of our guests and team members are our highest priority. Should we amend any of our published itineraries, we will promptly advise booked guests and their travel advisors.
  • Please note that our contact centers will not have any additional information at this time. We appreciate your understanding and patience.
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, jdk-atlga said:

To add to the list, Seabourn (and I imagine all of Carnival Group) sent out this message today: 

• We understand that you may have some concerns regarding your upcoming sailing given the evolving events with Ukraine and Russia.
  • We are closely monitoring the situation as the safety and security of our guests and team members are our highest priority. Should we amend any of our published itineraries, we will promptly advise booked guests and their travel advisors.
  • Please note that our contact centers will not have any additional information at this time. We appreciate your understanding and patience.

We got something similar from the UK's P&O yesterday about 24 hours ago now (a Carnival UK cruise line).  Sitting on the fence it seems.  I can understand they will take time to amend itineraries, but I do feel they could make a decision on if they are going to cancel SPB by now, especially as other lines are clarifying their position.  Problem here is that our FCO (government office) have not advised against travel to Russia and changes to itineraries are usually done in response to that.  The big football final has already been moved from Russia to Paris though. 

16 minutes ago, Kierste said:

I have no email from NCL yet, but my cruise summary (for July ) now has SP removed and two new sea days… which I wouldn’t mind… hoping they toss one more port in though.

The loss of two port days to be replaced by sea days would not please us, though could well be a temporary position, which I can understand.  I hope they find something else for you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hallasm said:

I do not fully understand your conclusion regarding ‘Baltic states’  in relation to your comment: “cannot risk any potential opportunity for reprisals and need to protect their clients”

Simply stated cruise lines must protect their clients against possible harm.  Specifically St Petersburg will be a no go as some cruise lines now have announced 

1 hour ago, Coquitlam Cruiser said:

Simply stated cruise lines must protect their clients against possible harm.  Specifically St Petersburg will be a no go as some cruise lines now have announced 

Clearly calls at St Petersburg will be a potential problem - The Baltic states are another matter as they are members of NATO - if it is considered a potential problem it will also be a problem to call at other ports around the Baltic Sea, for example in Denmark  , Poland or Germany as these countries are also members of NATO.  Probably also Finland and Sweden even though they are not members of NATO.

• Like 2

I am on a Carnival Baltic cruise in August and I am expecting SPB to be cancelled. There are as many unknowns at the moment. If Putin decides to expand further west into a NATO country such as Moldova then I would expect all Baltic Cruises to be cancelled. 

29 minutes ago, HLGW60 said:

I am on a Carnival Baltic cruise in August and I am expecting SPB to be cancelled. There are as many unknowns at the moment. If Putin decides to expand further west into a NATO country such as Moldova then I would expect all Baltic Cruises to be cancelled. 

Moldova is not a NATO country and had no wish to join.  Also, it is way to the south, by the Black Sea, not The Baltic.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HLGW60 said:

The world is concerned, but we are not allowed to talk politics here and posts will be pulled if we do, so best to keep the forums to cruise matters or we could loose sight of posts which are useful at present, especially for those who are due to travel soon.  The future cannot be predicted at present anyway, a lot can change by August and balance payment dates are mostly still well off as yet.  Some cruises sail as early May.

Edited by tring