The Daily for Saturday November 13, 2021

richwmn

16 minutes ago, dfish said:

It took me several months to really be comfortable with it.  Keep going.   I have mastered sleeping on my side with the nasal pillows.  It depends on how you position the pillow.  You'll get there.  

7 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@kb4683 persistence pays off - I didn't know how I'd manage ever getting sleep with a cpap, but I also didn't realize how little sleep I was getting without it!   I use the nasal pillows, but you have to find the right size for you.  Good luck to you.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thanks, ladies!  I, too, have the nasal pillow.  WIth your encouragement, I will conquer this thing 😍

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, dfish said:

Your boozy Thanksgiving sounds wonderful!  

Debbie,

It really was/is.  We have done it for Christmas, too.  Did not mention in original post, no children were harmed — we only did this after moving into our senior community! 😉

Kay

• Like 7
  • Haha 13

All this talk about food is making me hungry!  Good morning, Dailyites, and I'm sorry we don't have American Thanksgiving here as well as the Canadian one!  We missed ours this year, maybe I'll get a turkey in just for the three of us.  I like the dark meat and DH and DD like white, so I need the whole bird, not just a breast.  We all love the stuffing/dressing with gravy, too, and the green bean casserole with the crispy onions on top.  By the time we finish there is absolutely no space for dessert, so that is off the menu.  A nap might be in order. 

We are going for boosters this afternoon, yay.  I was afraid the invitation was a mistake, as we are only at 5 months since our second shot, but there was an article in the paper today saying it was alright to be early!  We are going to take the newspaper with us, just in case they reject us...  I'm interested to find out there dosage, as our form says "dose 3", not booster.

We have another "atmospheric river" flowing over us today, and for a few more days, evidently, dumping a lot of water on us.  I have been going out between showers trying to clear up the acorns in my flower bed.  Probably a third of them have sent down long roots, and will need to be removed by hand.

Lots of good things in the Daily today, and a few prayers needed.   I heard a little more about my cousin's passing.  He died in bed, and when they took him away, his wife thought they were taking him to the hospital.  The girls are still figuring out how/when to tell her.  He was 93, and had a great life (she is even older).  When we first arrived in the US, he and Pat went out together and they each bought a huge station wagon, getting a good deal by buying two at the same time.  We went all over the country in ours, with the children playing or sleeping in the back.  They did the same, as he was from California.  Now there's a whole bunch of the family up in Heaven having a great old time!  And the mention of  Thanksgiving reminds me of him, we always had Thanksgiving at their house, and Christmas at ours.  

• Like 30

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

@kb4683 Keep at it with the CPAP. I started out with a full face mask which gave me some issues. Now I use nasal pillows which I like better, although a little hard to sleep on your side.

@JazzyV Thanks for the encouragement, sorry missed your post earlier 😔

• Like 9

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Don’t know if you do the same but we brought carrot and turnip (with parsnip) over from England.  My husband is from the South, and I very much dislike Southern cooking, so I started to bring things I would eat to their Thanksgiving dinners.  Carrot and turnip was one of them, and now every year his family makes sure I remember to bring it.  That and my homemade cranberry orange sauce.  I started bringing that after watching my MIL open a tin of *cranberry jelly and put slices of it in a dish for serving.  😝

*With apologies to those who enjoy sliced tinned cranberry jelly.  No offense intended. 😊

Ooh I was going to say turnips with a bit of carrot or neeps!  Even served them at our wedding.  
and love homemade cranberry sauce, we usually have both as there is never enough.

• Like 16

Buenas tardes from Mexico! Let’s see if the CC gremlins let me post today. They’re letting me react to others, so that’s a good sign. Caregivers are so important, especially these days. My mother stayed in her own home for a lot of her final year due to caregivers.

We have no oven here so I’ll pass on the turkey, but I can cook quartered chicken in a skillet, maybe in a mild curry sauce.It certainly is a relief to be away from the cold and rain, but the time is racing by alarmingly fast. It’s not as good as being on a BHB, but it’s close! Happy Saturday!

65FCDA6F-BA28-4730-9D98-3E3E67BF5E10.thumb.jpeg.7670048a33b4fa303f7fc98a8607e543.jpeg

• Like 22

21 minutes ago, highscar said:

@Vict0riannre boosters.  They say 6 months after 2nd dose or 168 days.  I went Thursday 11 days short of the 168 and got the booster no questions asked.  Oh happy days   

Evidently, Dr. Bonnie has said here that anywhere after 4 to 6 months is okay.  They are trying to prevent a bottleneck when so many seniors become eligible.  We feel like we won the lottery!

• Like 14

We had to buy Lateral flow tests 2 days before leaving Spain and they arrived in the post today.

We have to do the tests within 2 days of arriving back in England so we have just done them and fortunately they were negative so we have scanned the tests on the app required.

Graham.

• Like 20

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We had to buy Lateral flow tests 2 days before leaving Spain and they arrived in the post today.

We have to do the tests within 2 days of arriving back in England so we have just done them and fortunately they were negative so we have scanned the tests on the app required.

Graham.

Happy it all worked out, and you failed again! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thought I'd check back while taking a little break.  We are almost packed except for what we'll need in the morning.  Now, it's just the little odds and ends, and we'll be done for today.  For us, we are packing light, with just one big suitcase each and so far, one rolling carry-on.  

My mother used to make cranberry-orange sauce with whole cranberries, and I think pecans.  I never liked it.  Maybe that's why DH and I like the canned jellied sauce.  I never claimed to be a gormet.  😀

We never had potatoes at Thanksgiving or Christmas with our turkey.  In fact, until we lived north of the Mason-Dixon line, we didn't know they were served with turkey.  For side dishes, I have a broccoli-onion casserole, a corn with green chilis casserole or the green bean casserole.  They can all be made a day or two ahead.

@cat shepard  Ann, thanks for the do-ahead potato recipe.  That sounds like one that everyone might like.  I like twice baked potatoes, but do not like trying to fill the hot, floppy potato skins.

Lenda

• Like 19

I'm with @Quartzsite Cruiser-- really like the canned jellied cranberries the best.  Although I always make a fresh cranberry-orange relish, too...just because I know I should.

In our family we seem to keep experimenting with the sweet potatoes every year.  They've been fried, souffle'd, candied, bourbon'd...all good.

But the one thing that is nonnegotiable is the dressing,  It has to be made with packages of hard, tiny cubed bread, and along with the onion and celery, it has to have apples, golden raisins, and Jimmy Dean sausage.  

Isn't it great how certain foods evoke nice memories?

• Like 20

@Miss Gso glad you got the test finally arranged 👍 I am sure you will fail 😉 🤞

3 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Yesterday, I got (and took) an upgrade offer to move them from the inside cabin to a veranda for $149 each. Needless to say they are quite excited! As are we to finally be cruising again...

Congrats on the upsell 🙂. Well done!

3 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Now we are all worried about what to do if our covid tests go south😨

I’m sure you will fail - at least I hope you do 🤞

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

5543CD5E-9FCD-46D4-9A99-C80E2B49EFFF.jpeg

you are safe with me but no promises for DH🤷‍♀️😂

LOL - our DH’s are alike 😉 That meme is perfect for my DH 🤣

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

@dfish

Debbie, I am warning you that there isn’t anything healthy about these potatoes. I attempted to use non-fat sour cream, cream cheese & reduced fat cheeses one year and the family was very upset with me. Perhaps I should have used just one non-fat option.  The original recipe called for onion salt, but we switched to garlic powder after a couple of years. 

My favorite part of the recipe is that you can prepare these potatoes up to two weeks ahead of time. Just keep them covered tightly in the fridge. I know I never made them two weeks ahead of time, but I usually made them at least two days before the “big meal”.

And this is an easy one to double.

Do Ahead Party Potatoes

Serves 8

Preheat oven to 350.

10 medium potatoes

6 ounces cream cheese

1 c sour cream - I might try plain yogurt, if I make this again. 

2 teaspoons garlic powder (original recipe calls for onion salt)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces

grated or shredded cheese - I used at least 8 oz & our favorite combination was mozzarella, asiago and a bit of parmesan thrown in. 

1. Peel & quarter the potatoes.* put the potatoes in a large saucepan or pot & cover with water. Boil until tender - approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Drain well. Mash until smooth. 

* I often did not peel the potatoes - if I used thin-skinned potatoes. I just scrubbed them really well. 

2. Combine cream cheese, sour cream, garlic powder & pepper in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and whisk together until smooth.

3. Grease a two quart casserole. Add the potatoes. Dot with butter. Sprinkle the shredded/grated cheeses over the entire casserole. Note: cheese lovers might want to have more than 8 ounces ready.

If not cooking right away, cover tightly & refrigerate. 

4. If you make them ahead of time, take them out of the fridge, and uncover them at least 30 minutes before baking. Bake for 45 minutes, until cheese is melted and browned.*

*Oven temps vary, so you might need to tweak the cook time a bit. 

That recipe sounds like my special mashed potatoes only I never put cheese on - yum. - what a great idea!  I didn’t know you could make it ahead of time.  Another big plus!

Trust me - non fat doesn’t work with this recipe.  You have to use sour cream & cream cheese but the taste is worth every calorie 😉 

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

We are going for boosters this afternoon, yay.  I was afraid the invitation was a mistake, as we are only at 5 months since our second shot, but there was an article in the paper today saying it was alright to be early!  

YAY 🙂. Wish they would do the same thing here.  I can hope, can’t I?

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

I heard a little more about my cousin's passing.  He died in bed, and when they took him away, his wife thought they were taking him to the hospital.  The girls are still figuring out how/when to tell her.  He was 93, and had a great life (she is even older).  

So sad, Ann.  I feel for the girls dealing with trying to tell their mother 💔

49 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

YAY 🙂. Happy to hear you failed 😄 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon Dailyites. Sex on the Beach is one of my favorite drinks. 🍹 When it gets too sweet, I switch it up to just vodka and cranberry juice. My favorite Thanksgiving dish is stuffing/dressing. But not made in the bird. Too soggy.  

I’m almost finished packing, just last minute “oh, I might need/wan that” to add. I had my mani/pedi this morning. 

I tried a new place fir my covid test (I’ve had problems with CVS). My results were sent in less than 12 hours. I failed. 😄

Luckily, my new glasses came in before my cruise. I’m still getting used to my new vision after my cataract surgery. 

I’m looking forward to meeting a CC member for a drink in Cabo. I think that’s the only port I’ll get off the ship. The NCL Bliss has an amazing spa/thermal suite and I’ll probably be spending most of my time there. Can’t wait to try the salt room and snow room!

Thank you everyone for sharing and caring here on The Daily. I upgraded to premium unlimited WiFi so I can hopefully keep up with all the goings on. Prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  High fives 👏 to those on the Celebration/Shout Out list.

• Like 19

Good afternoon all. Thanks Rich and thanks Roy for the care list. I don't see you on it but I'm keeping you in my prayers. Hope you had a restful weekend after your first two treatments. Malcom is an impressive child, good for him. I hope there is room for one more on the wine tour. 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

All this talk about food is making me hungry!  Good morning, Dailyites, and I'm sorry we don't have American Thanksgiving here as well as the Canadian one!  We missed ours this year, maybe I'll get a turkey in just for the three of us.  I like the dark meat and DH and DD like white, so I need the whole bird, not just a breast.  We all love the stuffing/dressing with gravy, too, and the green bean casserole with the crispy onions on top.  By the time we finish there is absolutely no space for dessert, so that is off the menu.  A nap might be in order. 

We solved that by having dinner around 4 pm and dessert at 7 pm.   Right after we get the kitchen cleaned up and everything put away, we drag it all out again for dessert.   

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We never had potatoes at Thanksgiving or Christmas with our turkey.  In fact, until we lived north of the Mason-Dixon line, we didn't know they were served with turkey.  For side dishes, I have a broccoli-onion casserole, a corn with green chilis casserole or the green bean casserole.  They can all be made a day or two ahead.

If it were just me, I'd skip the potatoes.   I only do sweet potatoes when I have company.  

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

In our family we seem to keep experimenting with the sweet potatoes every year.  They've been fried, souffle'd, candied, bourbon'd...all good.

But the one thing that is nonnegotiable is the dressing,  It has to be made with packages of hard, tiny cubed bread, and along with the onion and celery, it has to have apples, golden raisins, and Jimmy Dean sausage.  

Isn't it great how certain foods evoke nice memories?

The bourboned sweet potatoes sound great!  Do you have the recipe.   Your stuffing/dressing sounds a lot like ours but we don't do the raisins or apples.  For each bag of stuffing mix we use one onion, a whole bunch of celery, one package of sausage and one small bottle of poultry seasoning.  We don't do the sweet stuff too often.  

• Like 12

I have been away from the Daily for a few days mainly because of a minor medical problem.  Found out on Veteran's Day that I have a kidney stone.  Surprising how painful it can be even after taking pain medicine.  Had a CT scan at the local hospital and go back on Monday to see a urologist.

I used to be very familiar with Sasebo, Japan.  It has been a U.S. Naval base since the end of WW2.  Our ship sometimes spent a month or two there while deployed to WestPac.  There was also a large Japanese shipyard there that built super tankers in the 1970s.  Used to take about 6 months to complete one.  There was a bar area we called Sake Town where we hung out after work.  It would be interesting to see it again, but I doubt that cruise ships stop in Sasebo.  One incident that I remember was when our ship stopped in Keelung we found that bicycles were inexpensive, so a lot of us bought ten speeds and brought them aboard to use back in Sasebo.  One time heading for Sake Town I hit a curb at about 15-20 mph.  Flew off the bike and dislocated my shoulder.  Since I had a cast and couldn't ride it, I let one of the sailors in my division use it.  Within a week he had an accident and dislocated his shoulder.  Got rid of it after that.

Ray

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7