New elevator buttons on Odyssey are horrible

This may have been posted but in case it hasn't here's my take on the new proximity elevator buttons on Odyssey.  If you thought kids were bad at pushing all the elevator buttons just wait until you do it.

The new buttons are turned on when you get close to them.  Very easy to press 2 floors at the same time but even worse is if you happen to back up close to the panel then you can basically select every floor in a matter of seconds unknowingly.  It's not too much of an issue now with reduced capacity in the elevators but wait till things open up and you start packing 15 or more people in them.

My 20 year old acting like she was 5 again.  In all fairness, the ship was deserted and we were rarely in an elevator with others.

20211111_190801.jpg

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

We cruised on Odyssey last month and didn’t have any issues with the elevator buttons and I don’t recall anyone complaining about them. Maybe your 20 year old wasn’t aware that putting your finger close to a button will activate it even if you don’t touch the button?

There's not issues once you get used you it but it goes take some getting used to.  Based on what I saw there will definitely be issues once people start cramming themselves into the elevators.  I inadvertently backed into it trying to make some room her a person in a scooter and 6 floors were pressed. 

I love the elevator buttons and never had a problem with them. I used my knuckle to point over the needed button with no problem. I like not having to touch the standard ones. It just takes one or two times to figure out how to do it right. The only issue I saw was when a few kept trying to punch them super hard.

2 hours ago, chucknmarilyn said:

I love the elevator buttons and never had a problem with them. I used my knuckle to point over the needed button with no problem. I like not having to touch the standard ones. It just takes one or two times to figure out how to do it right. The only issue I saw was when a few kept trying to punch them super hard.

Agree completely. We used a knuckle to hover above the desired button. Learned the technique quickly. We appreciated the touchless system. We remember that before covid we were worried about Norovirus on cruise ships. Both are highly contagious thru hand to face contacts, and both can ruin your vacation. 

• Like 2

I think they are fantastic and wish they would retrofit the other ships in the fleet. 

I find it best to hold your finger out and bend it slightly then approach the button for the floor you desire.  I've never had it select multiple floors on me. 

It sort of just worked for me right from the start.

• Like 3

I loved and hated them. Liked they were touchless....but was always ending up with extra floors pressed. I was sailing with only 1000 passengers so it really wasn't an issue....but sailing at full capacity...I see it an a nightmare...buttons are to sensitive. And YES...if anyone leans against the panel you are stopping at every floor.

Edited by bajathree