Thanksgiving Sale - No Thanks!

HolyShip!

Looking to book Odyssey of the Seas for June next year and had a balcony room priced up for $200 less than the current Thanksgiving Sale. Pretty disappointing with all the hype and holding off to book when it was cheaper 2 months ago. Looks like this sale ends in 20 hours so let's see what the next "sale" is. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, allurekelsey said:

First time Royal cruiser here! How do price matches work? Sailing Allure 09/25/21 

Traditionally before final payment they'd adjust your price to the new one after final payment you could upgrade if a category if the prices worked out (but sometimes prices after final were new bookings only pricing) otherwise you were out of luck. 

If you booked under CWC you can still get the lower price before final, but after final you get OBC for price drops. I think if you paid in full before final you get obc instead of a refund but I'm not sure on that. 

9 hours ago, allurekelsey said:

First time Royal cruiser here! How do price matches work? Sailing Allure 09/25/21 

Welcome to CC.

I assume that date is a typo, if 2022, then the CWC terms for getting price drops inside final payment no longer apply.

I am on a cheap Jewel cruise in February. My price dropped by $90, or roughly 20% of cruise fare for two. Also grabbed two 50% off deals on pop and water cans - something I typically would buy one by one.

So the Black Friday sale works for some cruises, in some categories, for some extras, etc. It's unrealistic to expect it to cover every iteration of every cruise.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

I assume that date is a typo, if 2022, then the CWC terms for getting price drops inside final payment no longer apply.

My bad! Yes, I meant 2022. I did look up our sailing just for fun and it did drop a bit but I'm not stressing, I'm still happy with what we paid!

35 minutes ago, allurekelsey said:

I did look up our sailing just for fun and it did drop a bit but I'm not stressing, I'm still happy with what we paid!

You can get price drops outside of final payment, it's just that under RCI's COVID era CWC program, you can get them inside final payment as well (that expires in April 2022).

1 hour ago, allurekelsey said:

My bad! Yes, I meant 2022. I did look up our sailing just for fun and it did drop a bit but I'm not stressing, I'm still happy with what we paid!

Go get that sucker! I am cruising for the first time in May next year and have taken advantage of price drops since we booked in July and we have called NUMEROUS times for price adjustments.....I am now at a “cruise fare” of about 53% of the one we booked at! (Not discounting taxes and fees) 

Edited by Kathscof
Wrong word

On 11/25/2021 at 1:59 AM, HolyShip! said:

Looking to book Odyssey of the Seas for June next year and had a balcony room priced up for $200 less than the current Thanksgiving Sale. Pretty disappointing with all the hype and holding off to book when it was cheaper 2 months ago. Looks like this sale ends in 20 hours so let's see what the next "sale" is. 

I'm booked on Odyssey for next June and have been for a while.  I don't think they needed to put that one on 'sale' for Black Friday as it's a brand new ship and with all the attempts to get that thing out on it's inaugural a few times, only to have them canceled by Covid, there are a lot of us who shifted to the sailings when she finally sails in Europe.  Brand new ships are always more, and in this case, demand is very, very high and I've seen prices steadily climbing over the last couple of months (as I search often on the dream that there will be a price drop, haha!)  

I'm on the Symphony next month and I never expect the cruise fare to be on sale.  It is definitely higher now.  But with the current sale, I was able to re-purchase my VOOM, Coco Cay Beach club, and refreshment packages.  They are the best prices I have seen since I booked.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kathscof said:

Go get that sucker! I am cruising for the first time in May next year and have taken advantage of price drops since we booked in July and we have called NUMEROUS times for price adjustments.....I am now at a “cruise fare” of about 53% of the one we booked at! (Not discounting taxes and fees) 

Kathscof is correct. I call every month or when a sale is on to see if I can get a drop in price. Most of the time, it may only be a small amount but it does add up. One thing that was shared with me is that the closer it gets to the sailing date, on the newer ships at least, the total cruise fare increases exponentially, so a sale doesn't get the price down to the level of the original booking. And if the class of staterooms is sold out, you are out of luck because they have nothing to compare the original cost with. 

6 hours ago, rockmom said:

I'm booked on Odyssey for next June and have been for a while.  I don't think they needed to put that one on 'sale' for Black Friday as it's a brand new ship and with all the attempts to get that thing out on it's inaugural a few times, only to have them canceled by Covid, there are a lot of us who shifted to the sailings when she finally sails in Europe.  Brand new ships are always more, and in this case, demand is very, very high and I've seen prices steadily climbing over the last couple of months (as I search often on the dream that there will be a price drop, haha!)  

Any chance you've purchased a deluxe beverage package? I'm seeing it for $60 on sale at the moment (still seems expensive!)

10 minutes ago, HolyShip! said:

Any chance you've purchased a deluxe beverage package? I'm seeing it for $60 on sale at the moment (still seems expensive!)

Nope, we passed on that.  They really discounted the soda and refreshment packages, but the DBP isn't much of a deal, and in this case, yes, it was cheaper a few months ago.  That is true pretty much across the board for DBP on a lot of the ships based on what others have posted. I have 4 upcoming cruises, the DBP on Symphony and Odyssey are the same price, and the DBP on the shorter sailings on Navigator about about $3 more per person, per day (I think they figure shorter cruise, party cruise.  😛 )    Since Odyssey has 4 days in port, it would have to be a really great deal for my friend and I to break even or save.  So unless it drops a lot, we'll pay as we go--but we did grab the refreshment package for now because we like the specialty coffees, being able to grab water and juice, hit the Freestyle machine and have  'mocktails' earlier in the day by the pool.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2021 at 1:59 AM, HolyShip! said:

Then don’t go 

The Thanksgiving sail worked for me. We're booked on the Wonder in March. I called Royal, and they immediately took $600.00 off our price. I had called because of a $150.00 price drop from what we paid, and the rep just added the difference.

Our prices for the Radiance to Alaska next year have been JUMPING all over the place....every sale even has different prices within the sale (depending on my computer's cookies but then also from day to day has been weird haha).....we had booked an interior and had gotten the price down to 54% of the price we booked for, but today I randomly checked (cuz I had repriced on the "Thanksgiving" sale and didn't see any price drop for the "Black Friday" sale for our room) for other prices on the ship as they had been jumping ALL over the place each sale.  I got a balcony guarantee for 3 times less than it had been over the past few sales!  Still 65% of our originally booked interior cabin!  (though our price going up isn't exciting, getting a balcony is!)