Royal's Dynamic Pricing Policy Is An Absolute Joke

5 hours ago, carolyn22 said:

How many Royal Caribbean cruises have you been on?  Is there anything you like about them as much or more than some of the other lines you’ve cruised?

Fourth and fifth will be on a B2B on the Oasis in June.  Did the Indy, Explorer and a small vessel right after 911 on a real cheap 4 day before Christmas.  We have the UDP on our 7 day after going to Canada on a 5 day.  The UDP as well as our first Oasis Class ship is something I'm looking forward to.

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

But gas stations never advertise a sale when it drops.  At the risk of dating myself, I do remember when  gas stations would offer a gift with a fill up. My parents still have service for 8 of those plastic handle steak knives. Thankfully the drink glasses broke over the years.

I remember when they gave S&H green stamps for a fill up.  Also remember gas @ 0.33 / gallon.

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, we took 20 cruises prior to choosing Royal. We liked the product, and PC was driveable from Atlanta. Loyalty definitely has it's rewards, BTW.

I for one, no longer comment on Carnival, Princess, HAL, etc because it's been to long since we sailed them.

I know that loyalty has it's rewards.  That is the one thing that Royal excels at.  Hitting Diamond and Diamond Plus gives you worthwhile perks, unlike hitting Platinum on Carnival.

The 3 Excel Class ships on Carnival is the only thing that will keep me occasionally sailing with them.  

24 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I’m not one of the powers that be an I’ve been put in the penalty box myself.  That said while I do not agree with all you post, some sure I do, you are still very much entitled to share your thoughts and opinions.

I appreciate it.  It seems like I never have a problem with the women that post on here, it always seems to be the guys.  Being on the opposite side of the line in the sand regarding an issue and overreacting always leads to nothing positive.

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I don't care about price fluctuations with gas, soda, toilet paper or whatever.

The point of the thread is that Royal fluctuates the prices on excursions and drink packages.  No other cruise line does this. In my opinion, it sucks, but many on here don't care because they only cruise with Royal and they deal with it.  Or, more than likely they only take independent excursions and they get their drinks via Diamond or Diamond Plus status. Or they have deep pockets financially and they just pay it.

To you it sucks.  Being disappointed that others are not frustrated isn’t going to help ease your frustrations. Telling people not to like something typically doesn’t work, that goes from politics to a person’s choice in cruise lines. 

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

I know you don't care John, you're loyal and you're going on a world cruise according to Firefly.  Luckily I only have to put up with this nonsense when I occasionally cruise on Royal and stupidly post on here.  Never have these problems when I post on the various other boards I cruise on.

That is probably because you have no axe to grind on the other boards.  Honey VS vinegar goes along way.  Some might feel that you labelling them as “blind loyal followers” as more of a conversation accelerant than a few off putting words. 

The bottom line difference is the attitude of many Royal cruisers who gang up on anybody that dares go against the company policy. 

We were a couple cruises away from the top tier on Princess many years ago and then tried an Oasis class ship. Other than a Panama Canal cruise we have never returned to Princess. We liked their product, but to compare their ships and entertainment is near impossible.  

We have looked at other lines and ships, but for us we have stuck with RC when push came to shove.  Following/reading live reviews on other forums here clearly can show pros and cons of different lines. I like reading what others have to say about their experiences on more than RC.

There will be loyalists for all lines that never click on another forum other than their favourite.  They too will defend their line when someone comes in with a different attitude. I have seen it on the Princess, NCL, and Carnival forums. 

I will leave it at that because if I go any further the powers that be will put me in the penalty box and basically it's not worth it.

You won’t go into the time out penalty box for this discussion, unless you have served a lot of time already.  If you feel it is not worth it and are at risk then it is time to let this one be. You have tried your best to sway others to think differently, maybe with some success and maybe not.

It really boils down to one issue, can you accept RC’s dynamic pricing going forward?  At the end of the day you book your holidays and if you like one on RC for either a ship, a route, a cruise price enough to book it be prepared to plug your nose to dynamic pricing. Rehashing this discussion isn’t going to change their price structure.  Calling out brand followers isn’t going to resolve the conundrum you placed upon yourself.  You are the master of your own fate, and only you can determine what you can live with.  

Good luck with all your upcoming sailings and especially the ones on RC. Have fun out there.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I appreciate it.  It seems like I never have a problem with the women that post on here, it always seems to be the guys.  Being on the opposite side of the line in the sand regarding an issue and overreacting always leads to nothing positive.

Lol, well thank you, though I am not a woman 😎

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

But gas stations never advertise a sale when it drops.  At the risk of dating myself, I do remember when  gas stations would offer a gift with a fill up. My parents still have service for 8 of those plastic handle steak knives. Thankfully the drink glasses broke over the years.

Well, the steak knives aren't worth much.

Too bad the glasses broke. They fetch a fair price in the secondary market. I resell every one I can pick up at estate sales.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

To you it sucks.  Being disappointed that others are not frustrated isn’t going to help ease your frustrations. Telling people not to like something typically doesn’t work, that goes from politics to a person’s choice in cruise lines. 

That is probably because you have no axe to grind on the other boards.  Honey VS vinegar goes along way.  Some might feel that you labelling them as “blind loyal followers” as more of a conversation accelerant than a few off putting words. 

We were a couple cruises away from the top tier on Princess many years ago and then tried an Oasis class ship. Other than a Panama Canal cruise we have never returned to Princess. We liked their product, but to compare their ships and entertainment is near impossible.  

We have looked at other lines and ships, but for us we have stuck with RC when push came to shove.  Following/reading live reviews on other forums here clearly can show pros and cons of different lines. I like reading what others have to say about their experiences on more than RC.

There will be loyalists for all lines that never click on another forum other than their favourite.  They too will defend their line when someone comes in with a different attitude. I have seen it on the Princess, NCL, and Carnival forums. 

You won’t go into the time out penalty box for this discussion, unless you have served a lot of time already.  If you feel it is not worth it and are at risk then it is time to let this one be. You have tried your best to sway others to think differently, maybe with some success and maybe not.

It really boils down to one issue, can you accept RC’s dynamic pricing going forward?  At the end of the day you book your holidays and if you like one on RC for either a ship, a route, a cruise price enough to book it be prepared to plug your nose to dynamic pricing. Rehashing this discussion isn’t going to change their price structure.  Calling out brand followers isn’t going to resolve the conundrum you placed upon yourself.  You are the master of your own fate, and only you can determine what you can live with.  

Good luck with all your upcoming sailings and especially the ones on RC. Have fun out there.

Great post.  Looking forward to our first Oasis Class cruise in June on the original.  Maybe Cats will be put out to pasture by then.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

True, but you as well as other posters in the thread are comparing an apple to an orange.

I don't care about price fluctuations with gas, soda, toilet paper or whatever.

The point of the thread is that Royal fluctuates the prices on excursions and drink packages.  No other cruise line does this. In my opinion, it sucks, but many on here don't care because they only cruise with Royal and they deal with it.  Or, more than likely they only take independent excursions and they get their drinks via Diamond or Diamond Plus status. Or they have deep pockets financially and they just pay it.

JC Penny items are always "on sale".  I think the key with Royal is to literally ignore the word "sale".  The word doesn't mean anything.  Simply look at the price you'll pay.  Is the item, whether cruise, excursion, or drink package, worth it to you at that price.  If so, book it.  If not, don't.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

You do realize that the prices you checked on were embarking out of Miami.  After the 11 day repo on Halloween, the Prima will be doing a handful of weeks out of Miami, then a few months out of Port Canaveral, then go out of NYC to Bermuda before going to Europe for the summer and early fall.  There is a late October to December hole in the schedule before she relocates to Galveston.

Ok dec 2023, whatever .... the prices start over 2k for a inside. Too high for a inside if I can book a balcony on allure for less. Of course I mean Galveston..I checked the box leaving from Galveston.  Jan 2024 is lowest price, $948 pp so x 2, plus taxes. Or I can get a studio for about $1500. Again I'll wait for the freebies to fall off and prices come down. Last minute. I looked at the prices and said I'd rather do a balcony on rcl for less. You are beating a dead horse here. The prices are too high for ncl prima. Maybe you got on cheaper but that's what I'm seeing since it was announced out of Galveston. The prices I'm quoting are out of Galveston. Looked once and said no thanks. Looked again since you keep pushing it out of Galveston and prices are still too high. 

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Well said. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I know that loyalty has it's rewards.  That is the one thing that Royal excels at.  Hitting Diamond and Diamond Plus gives you worthwhile perks, unlike hitting Platinum on Carnival.

The 3 Excel Class ships on Carnival is the only thing that will keep me occasionally sailing with them.  

At 340 pts besides a 2nd bottle of free wine. I get dp340 code which is basically 25% off any fare solo booking. ..50% off 2nd fare it's called. To me 25% off any booking is a pretty big perk. Add in balcony discounts .. 

Rcl does give the best perks. I'll also be getting 5 drink vouchers a day which is just right for me being not much of a drinker. Rcl fits my cruising. The only thing as you point out their pay restaurants are higher than carnivals. I did pay restaurants on vista every night. Bought 6 and a friend took me again to the steak house on carnival vista and I enjoyed the food. 

Rcl dp340 code, balcony discount and 4 5 or 6 drinks a day gets my vote as a solo cruiser. 

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

JC Penny items are always "on sale".  I think the key with Royal is to literally ignore the word "sale".  The word doesn't mean anything.  Simply look at the price you'll pay.  Is the item, whether cruise, excursion, or drink package, worth it to you at that price.  If so, book it.  If not, don't.  

I agree. Several years ago, JC Penny ditched the "sales" and went to an Every Day Low Price policy. The results were disastrous and sales plummeted. Apparently, their customers liked seeing "On Sale" signs and thought that without  seeing an "On Sale" sign, they were overpaying for an item even though the price was the same or lower than before. Faced with bankruptcy, the company went back to their prior pricing model, raising their prices and having on-going "sales". Customers happily returned.

To the OP, I think Royal knows what their customers want and have no desire to become the next JC Penny.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I know you don't care John, you're loyal and you're going on a world cruise according to Firefly.  Luckily I only have to put up with this nonsense when I occasionally cruise on Royal and stupidly post on here.  Never have these problems when I post on the various other boards I cruise on.

The bottom line difference is the attitude of many Royal cruisers who gang up on anybody that dares go against the company policy.  I will leave it at that because if I go any further the powers that be will put me in the penalty box and basically it's not worth it.

Shame you didn't get past my first sentence😉

6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

We liked Princess, but Ft Lauderdale was a much more difficult drive from Atlanta than PC. Plus, Laura fell in love with Mariner in 2008. That sealed the deal

• Haha 1

I remember when they gave S&H green stamps for a fill up.  Also remember gas @ 0.33 / gallon.

Me too. My parents saved enough stamps for a Bridge table and chairs. I also remember my father commenting when gas went up to .37 / gallon. 

It seems like I never have a problem with the women that post on here, it always seems to be the guys.  Being on the opposite side of the line in the sand regarding an issue and overreacting always leads to nothing positive.

The Patriarchy sucks!

15 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I’m sure glad other businesses, especially grocery store don’t adapt this. Based on my last trip to the store you would see tp at $1 per roll, milk $5 a gallon, etc. etc.

Most businesses do this.  It is supply and demand.

They may not change prices daily, but they do change based on cost and supply and demand.  Did you buy any toilet paper about 18 months ago????

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Don't the stations in your area have a sign with prices out for everyone to see???

Isn't that advertising a sale??

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Me too. My parents saved enough stamps for a Bridge table and chairs. I also remember my father commenting when gas went up to .37 / gallon. 

When I started driving, premium (called high test) was 29.9 cents per gallon.

Two years later, it was 44.9 cents per gallon.

• Like 2