Taking Food off Ship

SeattleAl

OK, I know this is against the rules, but lots of boards and tips suggest it's pretty normal to grab a few rolls, some meat/cheese, fruit, a cookie to take off the boat when you're in port. I'm not talking about a feast.

If this is kind of one of those 'wink and nod' things everyone does and no one cares, we'll probably do it a time of two when we have an excursion. But I don't want to try to hide food in a bag that might get searched and becomes a issue.

What has been your experience? Thanks!!!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

OK, I know this is against the rules, but lots of boards and tips suggest it's pretty normal to grab a few rolls, some meat/cheese, fruit, a cookie to take off the boat when you're in port. I'm not talking about a feast.

If this is kind of one of those 'wink and nod' things everyone does and no one cares, we'll probably do it a time of two when we have an excursion. But I don't want to try to hide food in a bag that might get searched and becomes a issue.

Don’t forget the condiments and a knife, good grief.  And don’t forget different countries have rules on bringing food into their country.  Spend a few bucks, contribute to the local economy.

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 18

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Don’t forget the condiments and a knife, good grief.  And don’t forget different countries have rules on bringing food into their country.

In 2014 took a cruise w/my mom and when we got off the boat in Cozumel there was a staff person with a large plastic garbage bag collecting all the fruit/food people had taken for snacks. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Most ports have a "only if food is in original manufacturer packaging" rule. So an unopened box of cereal from the buffet is ok but a pastry from there is not. 

Book an excursion that includes food.

Pack some individually wrapped granola bars. 

Add $30 to your budget to buy food. 

• Like 6

We have been on three cruises so far since the ships started cruising again this fall.  All cruises were to the western Caribbean.   Cozumel had dogs to smell for food and it was confiscated.  Other ports were looking for any food being brought from the ship and taking it.  Take food off AYOR. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, shofer said:

In 2014 took a cruise w/my mom and when we got off the boat in Cozumel there was a staff person with a large plastic garbage bag collecting all the fruit/food people had taken for snacks. 

Was there they multiple times and always had a Food sniffing Dog 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shofer said:

yes, we have encountered this in Cozumel as well, but nowhere else, even though the daily compass in other locations (like St Kitts last week) would specify that no food was allowed to be brought off the ship.

We usually bring some pastries or fruit loops for the kiddo's snack, but not actual fruit, cheese or meat. Fewer chances that it would be disallowed.

17 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Do they not sell food where you are going? 

Not really. We're on couple of multi-hour excursions that don't have food and will have an 18 month old and a diabetic, so having some food is slightly essential. 

PS: Packers suck! <g>

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

Not really. We're on couple of multi-hour excursions that don't have food and will have an 18 month old and a diabetic, so having some food is slightly essential. 

Ok so more important info now, thank you.  Now with this in mind I apologize for my in jest comments but nonetheless snarky.  Perhaps on board you speak with guest relations, explain your situation, I’m guessing they will work with you on this.  Good luck!

• Like 5

22 hours ago, SeattleAl said:

Well, you should have included that on your first post!

You can bring pre-packaged food ashore. With that said, last week there really wasn't a lot of options, maybe you should bring some from home just to be safe. 

On 12/1/2021 at 12:08 AM, satxdiver said:

We have been on three cruises so far since the ships started cruising again this fall.  All cruises were to the western Caribbean.   Cozumel had dogs to smell for food and it was confiscated.  Other ports were looking for any food being brought from the ship and taking it.  Take food off AYOR. 

Marijuana brownies. 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, sailor05 said:

I'm not convinced the dogs were smelling for food....

If they are anything like my dogs,  it’s all about food. If there’s an island that want to make sure nobody smuggles in a Cheeto, I’ve got the beast for them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/30/2021 at 9:57 PM, SeattleAl said:

Cozumel now actually has dogs and they go thru  the back packs by hand.  Tables set up with a human and dog and every back pack is being searched. Fruit is the biggest no no. 

You can bring sealed crackers or something if you need food for the little one. 

Edited by firefly333

We have always seen the table with lots of food items and the dogs in Cozumel.  . . .

Yes , I have been on a tour where there was almost no food available. We were in the Faroe Islands and it was an 8 hr tour arranged by a Cruise Critic member.  It was a great tour of the countryside. Many others brought food from the ship. They knew the situation.  DH and I did not.  Finally, we found/stopped at a small convenience store.   I had Euros and USD, but not their currency.  I tried to use my CC and the machine would not take it. [before I had a chip] The woman felt sorry for us and took some euros as payment.  I now always have some type of food in my day bag--usually a wrapped breakfast bar.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 10:57 PM, SeattleAl said:

Could you be any cheaper??? Stay home if your broke!